PDA

View Full Version : ACCD Working on Compromise for Bond

Clandestino
03-01-2005, 09:26 PM
see, they should've just put it in the med ctr.. even a downtown location doesn't make them all happy...

LAST UPDATE: 3/1/2005 6:39:16 PM
Posted By: Walker Robinson

Alamo Community College District has decided to drop a major issue in its $450 million bond, hoping to get it to pass. Opponents voted against the plan earlier this month they said because they were unhappy with the proposed location of the school’s nursing center. ACCD proposed putting the nursing school in the medical center on the northwest side, but opponents wanted it downtown.

“I think the medical center, for the most part, is off the table,” ACCD Chancellor J. Terence Kelley told News 4 WOAI. ACCD is looking for a new location for the school’s new Allied Health Facility.

“We've opened up a dialogue as to what would be the best location,” Kelley said.

Both sides met Tuesday and one possible location is downtown near the Brady Green Clinic off of Frio and Martin, ACCD officials said. Previous bond opponents like that idea.

“Highways come to that area, and VIA is already available for that area,” bond opponent Dr. Charles Orozco said.

But for students who attend St. Philip's College, the current location for the nursing school, it is still not good enough.

“A lot of people are already enrolled in the program, and they're already coming here,” St. Philip’s student Bianca Martinez said. “St. Philip’s is convenient for them and to change it would probably be difficult for a lot of people.”

November will be the soonest the ACCD bond issue will go before voters again, officials said. The next meeting to discuss the ACCD bond is set for a week from Friday.

MannyIsGod
03-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Nothing is going to please all voters. However, it seems that the medical center location is now off the table. If their studies showed that was by far the best location, why are they so quick to be done with it? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know why.

However, this is mostly good news. I like the St. Phillips location also, because the ACCD already owns enough land there. But a downtown location is a good thing as well.

travis2
03-02-2005, 08:00 AM
...it seems that the medical center location is now off the table. If their studies showed that was by far the best location, why are they so quick to be done with it? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know why.

Really? And what gives you this insight?

Maybe they just didn't want to spend the political capital it would have taken to try to convince people who weren't interested in facts (they already had their minds made up)...

Ever think of that?

JoeChalupa
03-02-2005, 08:12 AM
If they build it, they will come.

travis2
03-02-2005, 08:43 AM
I agree completely, Joe.

Clandestino
03-02-2005, 09:21 AM
accd officials finally figured that the minorities from the downtown and st philips areas can't be reasoned with... i will vote against the bond this time...

all they did by voting down the first bond was waste time... now, the two groups will fight against each other...

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Nothing is going to please all voters. However, it seems that the medical center location is now off the table. If their studies showed that was by far the best location, why are they so quick to be done with it? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know why.

Then couldn't that same logic be applied towards those who feel Brady-Green isn't the best location, either.

Why spend all the time in the world trying to convince people about something they have already lashed out against? Work a compromise and get it done.

What Ms. Martinez failed to mention is the location of the people already enrolled in the program. They don't ALL live in the general vicinity of the St. Philips area.

Opinionater
03-02-2005, 12:05 PM
IMHO, the ACCD needs to look at the downtown site seriously and if they are as smart as they think they are, they will find a compromise and build the school.
But I don't the site issue should be the reason why the other improvments cannot be done.