PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M basketball player Denzel Bowles to transfer to JMU

ClingingMars
01-22-2009, 11:50 PM
http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/former-kempsville-basketball-star-transferring-jmu

By Rainer Sabin

Far from home, in the largest of the 48 contiguous states, Denzel Bowles felt small and out of place.

A 6-foot-10, 260-pound sophomore forward, his role had been marginalized on the Texas A&M basketball team from the moment he stepped on the College Station campus - where he says he never was comfortable.

"It was different," Bowles said. "I thought I was going to get used to it, and it never was going to happen."

Bowles, an All-Tidewater selection as a senior at Kempsville High School, reached that conclusion last week. And with the blessing of Aggies coach Mark Turgeon, he decided to transfer.

Bowles resurfaced at James Madison, visiting the school Tuesday and starting classes less than 48 hours later.

"I felt immediately this was the place I was going to spend the rest of my career," said Bowles, who averaged 1.7 points in two seasons at Texas A&M.

Bowles won't be eligible to play for the Dukes until mid-December, according to JMU coach Matt Brady. But Bowles says his patience won't be tested.

"It's OK," he said. "I waited in Texas for two years. I can wait another year to play."

After graduating from Kempsville in 2007, Bowles struggled to crack the lineup at Texas A&M. Four teammates who played the same position as Bowles were receiving more playing time than the Virginia Beach native, who averaged only 5.4 minutes this season.

Brady envisions Bowles as a major contributor once he steps on the court next season. Along with current freshman Alvin Brown, Bowles will be the Dukes' tallest player.

"I think his impact will be significant," Brady said. "There are not that many top-75 players in the (Colonial Athletic Association)."

Soon after word leaked that Bowles was leaving Texas A&M, he was bombarded with messages and phone calls from mid-major schools, including several Atlantic 10 teams. Even one SEC program attempted to contact him.

"We talked about it," Kempsville coach Taft Hickman said. "But his biggest priority was to be closer to home."

Now that he is, Bowles is ready to resume his basketball career. He will start practice Monday, and Brady can't wait to see him in action.

"We're ecstatic to have him," Brady said. "He realized he could go somewhere where he is happier and go to a program that could maximize his potential. Everything just seemed to make sense."

via the hometown newspaper.

-Mars

lebomb
01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Awesome....... I think he will do well at JMU. I feel a lot of players want to stay closer to home and play ball.......they also want to PLAY. Not sit behind 3 people for 3 yrs. Good for him.

BUMP
01-24-2009, 02:10 PM
:sleep

ClingingMars
01-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Awesome....... I think he will do well at JMU. I feel a lot of players want to stay closer to home and play ball.......they also want to PLAY. Not sit behind 3 people for 3 yrs. Good for him.

yeah, he was at the last home game on Wednesday, a pretty big kid. Can't wait to see him suit up next December.

-Mars

Whisky Dog
01-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm from Texas and would never feel comfortable in college station. I don't blame him.

Doug Collins
01-28-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm from Texas and would never feel comfortable in college station. I don't blame him.

Too many white christians?

ClingingMars
01-28-2009, 11:38 AM

haha there's plenty of those here at JMU.

anyways, I'm hoping he turns out to be a nice big man, our best post presence is a senior this year.

Whisky Dog
01-28-2009, 12:47 PM

No, too many good old boy FANATICAL white christians.

I hate FANATICALS.