PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan Earns Another Start For Western Conference

duncan228
01-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Duncan earns another start for Western Conference (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_earns_another_start_for_Western_Conference. html)
Mike Monroe

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/all%20star/2009all-star.jpg
Tim Duncan strikes a pose in this year's All-Star uniform.

By this point in his career, you would think Spurs forward Tim Duncan would expect to be voted to the Western Conference starting lineup for the All-Star Game, but the Thursday announcement that the fans had once again so honored him once again left him mildly astonished.

“It's unbelievable that the fans continue to vote me in,” Duncan said. “I don't expect it every year, but I'm always honored by it.”

Except for his rookie year, when the coaches added him to the Western roster, Duncan has been elected a starter for every All-Star Game. There was no All-Star Game in the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season.

The Spurs were well represented in the fan voting. Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker finished fourth and fifth, respectively, among Western Conference guards. Bruce Bowen was a surprising third among Western Conference forwards, finishing ahead of Carmelo Anthony and Dirk Nowitzki.

As he departed the Spurs' practice court Thursday morning Parker, a two-time All-Star who is averaging 20.2 point and 6.7 assists, said he would be watching the televised announcement of the starters, unabashedly hoping for the Hornets' Chris Paul to overtake Houston's Tracy McGrady for the second starting guard spot in the West.

“I can't lie,” Parker said. “I'm going to be pulling for Chris. That will give me a much better chance of making it as a reserve.”

Parker got his wish, as Paul got the second guard spot, behind Kobe Bryant, who led all Western Conference vote-getters.

Duncan got more votes, 2,578,168, than at any time in his career. He had the fifth-highest total this year, behind Orlando's Dwight Howard, Bryant, Cleveland's LeBron James and Miami's Dwyane Wade.

Howard became the first player ever to get more than 3 million votes, totaling 3,150,181.

Duncan will be taking orders from Lakers coach Phil Jackson in the Feb. 15 game at Phoenix' US Airways Center. The Lakers are assured of having no worse than a tie, with the Spurs, for the West's best record on Feb. 1, the cutoff date for naming the coaches. Since Popovich coached an All-Star Game more recently than Jackson, the Lakers coach will get the honor this year.

Military night: The Spurs are honoring members of the armed forces at tonight's game against the Nets at AT&T Center, with nearly 1,000 tickets made available to men and women in the military by Spurs season ticket-holders, employees and USAA.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who spent five years as an officer in the U.S. Air Force after graduating from the Air Force Academy in 1970, sent a personal letter to season ticket-holders urging them to consider donating tickets for the game.

Fans attending the game will be able to provide a video “shout out” to those serving in armed forces.

Military members will be recognized and honored throughout the game during various promotions.

“It's always a great honor to play in front of them and honor them for all the things they do for the United States,” Parker said. “We realize what a great life we have, and what all those guys do for us.”

mystargtr34
01-23-2009, 05:56 AM
I dont mind this years jerseys. Simple but they look good.

Better than the trash last year.

mystargtr34
01-23-2009, 05:57 AM
I would still rather they go back to all wearing their own respective team uniforms, home and away. I think that looks good on the court.

BlackSwordsMan
01-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Is this bowen's first allstar

MrChug
01-23-2009, 07:43 AM
He didn't make it. He'd have to get voted in by the coaches and he won't. Probably Dikless Nowinski.

SA210
01-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Hooray for Bruce. You should still be our starter!