PDA

View Full Version : CNNSi's rankings & Payton to Suns?

milkyway21
03-01-2005, 10:19 PM
..how true is this rumor? :rolleyes

Feature presentation
Spurs still NBA's star attraction; Payton on the move?

Like the Oscars, the NBA has its own series of worthy performances to honor this season. There's Ray (Allen). The Aviator (Josh Smith). Million Dollar Baby (Latrell Sprewell) :oops , Sideways (The T'wolves) and The Incredi-Bulls (sic). But the only award that really matters right now is which NBA team is atop this week's Power Rankings.

NBA Power Rankings

1 San Antonio Spurs (42-13)
Even after Saturday's loss to the Grizzlies they were a league-best 24-2 at home, where they will play 11 of 14 games in March. Meanwhile, they added a quality backup center at the trade deadline in Nazr Mohammed. :spin
2 Phoenix Suns (43-14)
A Glove in the desert? Gary Payton could be signed as a backup for Steve Nash if he gets released by Atlanta. With Jim Jackson, Walter McCarty and Bo Outlaw, he'd complete a remarkable in-season bench overhaul.
3 Seattle SuperSonics (38-16)
Ray Allen didn't get traded after all, which makes perfect sense given how well they have played this season. What doesn't make sense is Sunday's blowout loss in Milwaukee.
4 Dallas Mavericks (37-17)
They lost at Phoenix on Saturday to snap a six-game win streak. But Keith Van Horn has arrived to give them another shooter off their bench, and Alan Henderson could soon be rejoining the team.
5 Miami Heat (42-16)
They're breathing a huge sigh of relief that Shaq's knee injury wasn't more serious. Now if they could just get Alonzo Mourning to sign on the dotted line, they could be ready to get on another roll.
6 Detroit Pistons (35-19)
They won at Golden State on Sunday to make it seven straight, and 12 of 13 overall. But with the next four at Portland, Phoenix, Seattle and Sacramento, the defending champs are about to get a serious heat check.
7 Sacramento Kings (36-21)So far so good without C-Webb. They won at Philly on Saturday to spoil former teammate Chris Webber's Sixers debut, then again at Washington on Sunday to make it 2-0 since the big trade.
8 Memphis Grizzlies (31-25)
Saturday's last-second win at San Antonio snapped a four-game losing skid and showed their defensive moxie. But until Pau Gasol (foot) gets back, they're going to struggle to score in the low post.
9 Houston Rockets (32-24)
Hurry back, Bob Sura. They lost at home to the Jazz on Sunday, their third straight loss since the veteran guard went down with soreness in his surgically repaired back.
10 Indiana Pacers (28-27)
They had won five straight before falling Saturday in New York as they continue to slowly work their way back. Meanwhile, Dale Davis could soon be rejoining his former team to add frontcourt depth.
11 Cleveland Cavaliers (31-23)Jiri Welsch has arrived to knock down outside shots and help LeBron James, but they still have road woes. Saturday's loss at New Jersey was their sixth straight L away from the Gund.
12 Philadelphia 76ers (26-29)
Speaking of helping hands, Webber gives Allen Iverson his first 20-point scorer as running mate since Jerry Stackhouse. Even LeBron says it makes Philly the favorite in the Atlantic.
13 Chicago Bulls (29-24)
Rookie Ben Gordon is Windy City's best closer (other than MJ) since Bruce Sutter. He's scored 10 or more points in the fourth quarter in 16 of his team's games this season, most in the NBA.
14 Washington Wizards (31-24)
They're trying to hold on without Larry Hughes, but it's been a struggle. Not even a career-high 43 points from Gilbert Arenas could lift them over the Kings on Sunday.
15 Boston Celtics (29-28)
Antoine Walker, aka Employee No. 88, is already paying dividends. He had 33 points and 13 rebounds in Sunday's win at Phoenix, after putting up 24 and 10 in Friday's win at Utah.

Kori Ellis
03-01-2005, 10:23 PM
The Suns have expressed interest in him (so have five or six other teams) but most people say he's going back to Boston.

exstatic
03-01-2005, 10:26 PM
3 Seattle SuperSonics (38-16)
Ray Allen didn't get traded after all, which makes perfect sense given how well they have played this season. What doesn't make sense is Sunday's blowout loss in Milwaukee.
Maybe they booed him, and he had to go back into the locker room, take a Pamprin, and lie down for a while.

milkyway21
03-01-2005, 10:33 PM
The Suns have expressed interest in him (so have five or six other teams) but most people say he's going back to Boston...hope so.I'm glad.

This Phoenix ARE really serious this yr, huh. That signing of Jim Jackson then, if they add Payton just for a backup pt. guard could be scary a little bit.

Dex
03-01-2005, 11:11 PM
As Kori said, general consensus seems to be that he will probably go back to Boston where he has, supposedly, become comfortable both in the city, and within his role on the team, which really allows for the type of game he likes to play.

This is the first I'd heard anything about him ending up with the Suns, but Payton HAD apparently expressed an interest towards playing with a Western Conference contender when the trade with Atlanta was finalized, and aside from financial issues (wouldn't he just get the pro-rated veteran minimum from anybody at this point?), I don't see why the Suns wouldn't fit that bill for him.

Kind of scary to think about. I don't want to have to deal with Payton again come playoff time, even if he HAS become Tony's beeyotch.

Atlanta waived him today. Hopefully he just goes back to Boston.

SequSpur
03-01-2005, 11:51 PM
Lets see Boston or Phoenix?

I say he goes to Phoenix.

milkyway21
03-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Lets see Boston or Phoenix?

I say he goes to Phoenix. :lol
...because that is where Marion is?

grjr
03-02-2005, 02:53 AM
If he's waived on 3/1 doesn't that make it too late for someone to pick him up for the playoffs?

Kori Ellis
03-02-2005, 02:55 AM
No, as long as he was waived on or before 3/1, then he's playoff eligible.

grjr
03-02-2005, 03:16 AM
If I was atlanta I would have waited until today then. Doesn't seem fair to me that these guys can just decide where they don't want to play.

slayermin
03-02-2005, 03:21 AM
So is Gary Payton doing one of those "wink, wink" deals?

Just curious.

milkyway21
03-02-2005, 03:28 AM
If I was atlanta I would have waited until today then. Doesn't seem fair to me that these guys can just decide where they don't want to play...how about Payton wants to finish the season w/ a playoff contender. Atlanta don't fall into that category.. :lol

milkyway21
03-02-2005, 03:41 AM
i just can't say how lucky TP is he's so young and already playing for his 2nd title and Payton, once one of the best Pt guard in the NBA, a good defensive player, now get tossed from one team to another and still searching for his 1st. Now I start to pity those great players -Malone, Barkley, Payton, Reggie Miller,... who had not own a ring yet. And Duncan have 2 at an early age.

It's unfair. But that's life.

Now I realized why Brent was so happy playing alongside him. w/ the right team chemistry & luck, TD can make it happen ,man.

Kori Ellis
03-02-2005, 03:45 AM
Glove wouldn't fit with Suns

Bob Young
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 2, 2005 12:00 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cheapseats/articles/0302p2main0302.html

There are certain things you never want to buy used.

Underwear.

Mattresses.

Toothbrushes.

We'd include fading superstar point guards on that list.

Nobody asked us, but we sort of hope the Suns fail in their attempt to add Gary Payton to their roster.

Strictly from a basketball standpoint, maybe it makes some sense.

The Suns could use a dependable, backup point guard to limit the wear and tear on Steve Nash.

Payton would bring some toughness, and there are still a lot of point guards he can defend.

But why mess with a good thing?

The Suns locker room is a good thing.

By all accounts, the players like each other. There is camaraderie beyond the court. There is chemistry. They like their coach, Mike D'Antoni.

Why would you tinker with something that's working by bringing in a guy with a history of belittling and berating coaches, fighting with teammates and talking trash to opponents?

While in Seattle, Payton had at least one run-in each with coaches K.C. Jones, George Karl, Paul Westphal and Nate McMillan.

He reportedly was suspended a game for a confrontation with Westphal, but the suspension was lifted when Payton apologized.

However, right after Westphal was fired, Payton went at it with McMillan and was suspended for a game and served it that time.

There also were published reports about a fight with teammate Ricky Pierce during a playoff series with Denver in which Pierce supposedly threatened to go get a gun to settle the matter.

The Sonics had the best record in the NBA and lost that series in perhaps the biggest playoff upset in league history.

Oh, and then there was Payton's beauty of a brawl with Vernon "Mad Max" Maxwell in 2000, during which a chair, a television remote control and some dumbbells from the weight room were tossed around.

Chuck Person re-injured a bad knee trying to break up that fight.

No, we're thinking the Suns don't need that kind of aggravation.

Here's a stat to consider, too.

During his 16 NBA seasons, Payton has played in 1,163 regular-season games. He has come off the bench in six.

And he hasn't done it since 1992-93, his third season in the NBA.

Do the Suns really want to be the first team to experiment with bringing Payton off the bench?

Just remember, if the Glove must sit, he'll have a fit.

The Suns are better off without him.

milkyway21
03-02-2005, 03:51 AM
Glove wouldn't fit with Suns.

:elephant

i think the Spurs are better off w/out him, too. What a character :lol

thnks Kori for the updates, nice story on Payton's locker room adventures :lol

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2005, 09:30 AM
If I was atlanta I would have waited until today then. Doesn't seem fair to me that these guys can just decide where they don't want to play.

Atlanta didn't want Payton...they know their season is in the tank and they are gonna use the rest of it to give their young guys playing time experience. They knew Payton would be a problem in that situation and they basically said from the start they would waive Payton so that he could get picked up by a playoff team...

Supergirl
03-02-2005, 09:44 AM
I agree with the article...If Payton is smart he'll re-sign with the Celtics - it's the one place he fits best right now. And the C's want him back. My understanding is that he was traded only to make his ability to go where he wanted next year easier - he's said all along he wants to be closer to his family.

My question is - how does this work? Does Payton have a say in where he goes? Is it a first-team-to-claim-him-wins kind of situation?

Useruser666
03-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Waive the glove.

Spurminator
03-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Smell the Glove.