PDA

View Full Version : Devin Harris doubtful for Spurs duel (Update: Harris says he'll play)

JPB
01-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Devin Harris doubtful for Spurs duel
BY JULIAN GARCIA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, January 23rd 2009, 12:43 AM

Snyder/Reuters

Nets point guard Devin Harris, injured in third quarter of Wednesday's loss to Hornets, is unlikely to play against Tony Parker and Spurs Friday night.
SAN ANTONIO - The Nets didn't fare so well against one of the league's elite point guards when they had Devin Harris for nearly three quarters on Wednesday night. Things may not go much better if Harris doesn't play at all Friday night.

Harris is likely to sit out against Tony Parker and the Spurs Friday night because of a rib injury that forced him to leave Wednesday's game against New Orleans with just over three minutes left in the third quarter. The Nets ended up losing by 10 as Chris Paul scored 29 points.

Harris has a bruised rib on his right side and is listed as day-to-day. The good news is that he had a CAT scan Thursday and no damage was found. An X-ray taken on Tuesday was negative, as well.

The Nets are 1-5 in games Harris has missed this season. Backup point guard Keyon Dooling is also dealing with an ankle injury he suffered against the Hornets.

If Dooling is significantly slowed or cannot play at all, Vince Carter would likely take over the point-guard duties since the Nets do not have another natural point guard on their roster. Trenton Hassell also could see time there.

"It gives other guys an opportunity," said Lawrence Frank, whose team has lost four straight after climbing to the .500 mark. "You've just got to find a way."

As much as playing without Harris would hurt the Nets (19-23) over the next few games, a long-term injury could dash their already slim playoff hopes. After spending most of the first half in the playoff picture, the Nets are now on the outside looking in. The health of Harris, their second-leading scorer who is averaging 21.8 points per game, is crucial over the second half.

That's why his teammates would rather have him sit out now and get well than force himself into action and hurt himself further.

"It's unfortunate," said Carter. "He's been playing well, but at the end of the day, getting that taken care of is more important. I'd rather lose him for three to four games now instead of anything where he'd be out for the season."

The Nets had hoped to add a third point guard before the season but felt confident they could make do with Carter handling duties behind Harris and Dooling. But now they may have to reconsider their priorities as the Feb.19 trade deadline approaches.

"We're going to have to see what transpires with these guys, see if they're going to be able to play or not," said team president Rod Thorn.

SEEIN' SEAN: Second-year forward Sean Williams has been recalled from Colorado of the D-League. But he will not join the Nets for the remainder of the road trip, which continues to Memphis and Oklahoma City following Friday night's game.

EricB
01-23-2009, 02:56 PM
I'll take it.

rayray2k8
01-23-2009, 03:01 PM
smells like a blow out..
Now i dont think I'm going this time..
Oops, might have jinxed them..

I Love Me Some Me
01-23-2009, 03:04 PM
And somewhere Tony Parker breathes a sigh of relief.

beachwood
01-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Harris always seems to have Parker's number. Hopefully Hill can get some playing time now.

MoSpur
01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I kind of was looking forward to this battle between Parker and Harris.

sribb43
01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Nothing new here...Devin is always hurt

alchemist
01-23-2009, 03:28 PM
he's playing tonight, Tony should have a field day though since Harris is hurting.

mrspurs
01-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I kind of was looking forward to this battle between Parker and Harris.

Yup.

chreph
01-23-2009, 04:15 PM
I was looking forward to Harris-Parker, too

Damn, I was hoping to score some 3rd row seats at the visitors end of the court (sect 116) but got out bid. I've never sat closer than 29th row and hear the experience is way different when you're floor-level with the guys. I thought I could score them fairly cheap but someone upped the ante to $300 which trumps my $250 :depressed What happened to the economic slump? lol

timvp
01-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Harris says he's playing.

"I'll play tonight. No worries," Devin Harris said after going through the entire shootaround despite his bruised rib.

JPB
01-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Harris says he's playing.

Yep. Looks like he is.
---

Harris a go for tonight
By Julian Garcia on January 23, 2009 2:58 PM

Based on everything we heard from the Nets regarding the condition of Devin Harris yesterday, it seemed like a safe bet that he would not be playing tonight against the Spurs. But surprise - he is.

At least that was what he said a little while ago at the shoot-around. And since Lawrence Frank didn't disagree, it seems pretty likely that Harris will go despite some bruised ribs on his right side.

Vince Carter said on Thursday that he wanted Harris to be healthy before he comes back so he doesn't hurt himself further and risk losing more time. But Harris said this is no time for that, not with the Nets on the verge of having their season go down the tubes. Facing San Antonio and Tony Parker probably has something to do with it, as well.

"What’s it, four in a row now?" Harris said of the Nets' losing streak. "We can’t really worry about (injuries) right now. We just have to finish strong on this trip."

When the media was let in the gym Harris was hoisting jumpers and looked fine doing so, free and easy. He had an x-ray taken on Tuesday and a CAT-Scan yesterday and both failed to reveal any damage. Still, Harris said he will need to protect his side, probably with some extra padding.

Harris has shown himself to be pretty tough so far, playing with injuries to his ankles and hamstring and now this. Frank is usually pretty conservative when talking about guys with injuries, issuing the usual, "He's a game-time" decision statement. But the coach seemed pretty sure about this one.

"Yeah, I think he’s going to go," Frank said. "We’ll wait until we get there (tonight), but right now it looks like he’s a go."

Harris's backup, Keyon Dooling, seems less likely to play. His ankle is hurting and he did not go through the shoot-around. Frank was less optimistic about him but Dooling said he's playing. The coach gets the final say, though.

"This is my job so if I can go out and do it I think it sends a good message to my teammates and everybody that you got to play through a little pain, especially when you’re on a losing streak like this," said Dooling. "It would be easy for me to say I’m good, I don’t want to play. But I’m trying to right this ship. I feel like I play a role on our team and I need to try and go out and execute it."

bigdog
01-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Well, makes for a more exciting game with Harris playing. Should be a good matchup at PG. I'd also like to see how GHill does against Harris.