PDA

View Full Version : Team regrets 100-0 win

hater
01-23-2009, 04:54 PM
:lmao I would have loved to see that game.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=903780

Associated Press

DALLAS -- A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.

Now officials from The Covenant School say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

Samantha Peloza grabs a rebound in practice a week after their 100-0 win.
"It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened," Kyle Queal, the head of the school, said in a statement, adding the forfeit was requested because "a victory without honor is a great loss."

The private Christian school defeated Dallas Academy last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

:lmao :lmao Was George Karl the coach???

Dallas Academy coach Jeremy Civello told The Dallas Morning News that the game turned into a "layup drill," with the opposing team's guards waiting to steal the ball and drive to the basket. Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

"On a personal note, I told the coach of the losing team how much I admire their girls for continuing to compete against all odds," Burleson said. "They showed much more character than the coach that allowed that score to get out of hand. It's up to the coach to control the outcome."

In the statement on the Covenant Web site, Queal said the game "does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community."

Covenant coach Micah Grimes did not immediately respond to a message left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

Queal said school officials met with Dallas Academy officials to apologize and praised "each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner."

Civello said he appreciated the gesture and has accepted the apology "with no ill feelings."

At a shootaround Thursday, several Dallas Academy players said they were frustrated during the game but felt it was a learning opportunity. They also said they are excited about some of the attention they are receiving from the loss, including an invitation from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to see an NBA game from his suite.

"Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing," said Shelby Hyatt, a freshman on the team. "Keep trying, and it's going to be OK."

Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls afterward for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said of the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."

J.T.
01-23-2009, 04:55 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115024

hater
01-23-2009, 04:57 PM
oops

"full-court press "

:lol

YoMamaIsCallin
01-23-2009, 08:33 PM
My daughter played in a JV game here in Austin some 10 years ago. Her team was ahead 53-0 at halftime. They ended up winning something like 103-7.

She wrote her college application essay about this game. She used the themes of compassion, achievement, and equality. She ended the essay by saying, in effect, was I sorry? Did I feel bad? Yes. I only felt bad because we didn't shut them out.

She got in to the college she wanted!

jack sommerset
01-23-2009, 08:36 PM
My daughter played in a JV game here in Austin some 10 years ago. Her team was ahead 53-0 at halftime. They ended up winning something like 103-7.

She wrote her college application essay about this game. She used the themes of compassion, achievement, and equality. She ended the essay by saying, in effect, was I sorry? Did I feel bad? Yes. I only felt bad because we didn't shut them out.

When you were playing ball with her in the driveway when she was learning the game,did you ever let her score? I bet you did and you did the right thing.

cobbler
01-23-2009, 08:49 PM
When you were playing ball with her in the driveway when she was learning the game,did you ever let her score? I bet you did and you did the right thing.

He probably didn't. She could only learn to be a selfless jerk...from a selfless jerk. The apple never falls far from the tree.

jack sommerset
01-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm sure alot of people heard the story of the handi-cap kid that scored a basket in a highschool game. If not the one I am thinking of something similar. The one I am talking about the team that had the kid with the disability was winning by 20-30 points. They put the handi-cap kid in the game and he scored a basket. The other team that was losing did not cover him. They let him shoot because it was the right thing to do. Everyone that was apart of that game,watched the game and saw the story felt good. It was sportsmanship at its best.

100-0 showed no sportsmanship or compasion. It was the wrong thing to do and the team that won 100-0 said they were sorry.

ploto
01-24-2009, 10:44 AM

Career Point is not that competitive to get into.

de Soto
01-24-2009, 11:19 AM
That's the mavs farm team, right?:lol

de Soto
01-24-2009, 11:25 AM
What is it with Dallas and retards? :p:

BUMP
01-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm sure alot of people heard the story of the handi-cap kid that scored a basket in a highschool game. If not the one I am thinking of something similar. The one I am talking about the team that had the kid with the disability was winning by 20-30 points. They put the handi-cap kid in the game and he scored a basket. The other team that was losing did not cover him. They let him shoot because it was the right thing to do. Everyone that was apart of that game,watched the game and saw the story felt good. It was sportsmanship at its best.

100-0 showed no sportsmanship or compasion. It was the wrong thing to do and the team that won 100-0 said they were sorry.

you think so? Eh, i wouldve swatted that shot into the third row, taunted him, then meet him in the parking lot after and take a doodoo on his face

Indazone
01-24-2009, 11:37 AM
When you're ahead by that much you put in your scrubs and you put in your worst scrubs. If they keep the offensive beatdown of the other team, you call a timeout and you tell your scrubs to just have fun and forget about defense. That way the other team will eventually score a bucket.

That coach was an A-hole.

BUMP
01-24-2009, 11:57 AM

She wrote her college application essay about this Igame. She used the themes of compassion, achievement, and equality. She ended the essay by saying, in effect, was I sorry? Did I feel bad? Yes. only felt bad because we didn't shut them out.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

faggot

JamStone
01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
98-2 would have been much more respectable.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 01:16 PM
If you don't like the score being run up on you, then do something about it.

Allanon
01-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

Kobulingam
01-24-2009, 03:30 PM
This is not right.
They were playing a team of special needs kids. Should have eased up after 30-0 lead.

de Soto
01-25-2009, 01:50 PM
This is not right.
They were playing a team of special needs kids. Should have eased up after 30-0 lead.

Bunch of BS. The person responsible for putting such a team in competition with normals is at fault. What did anyone EXPECT would happen...

This is country is going to hell.:(

DallasAcademy Coach
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
we're setting a rematch for next week. i think we need to make a few adjustments.

for example, i was yelling out plays all game but then i remembered they were all deaf, when they looked back at me with that aloof look on their face. haha those dyslexic faggots couldnt even shoot at the right basket that was half the problem

angel_luv
01-26-2009, 02:24 PM
As I said in this thread in the club:

I am ALL for running up the score.

The only reason I favor the Spurs sitting say Timmy and Manu and Tony when we are leading by a lot is so they can rest.
It has nothing to do with benefiting or befriending the other team.

If a team does not want the score run up on them, they need to make your shots and play defense. No mercy.

angel_luv
01-26-2009, 02:25 PM

Go girl! That is awesome! :)

Cry Havoc
01-26-2009, 06:34 PM
As I said in this thread in the club:

I am ALL for running up the score.

The only reason I favor the Spurs sitting say Timmy and Manu and Tony when we are leading by a lot is so they can rest.
It has nothing to do with benefiting or befriending the other team.

If a team does not want the score run up on them, they need to make your shots and play defense. No mercy.

So if you were playing Michael Jordan, and he was up 40 to 0 on you, why don't you just MAKE YOUR SHOTS and play DEFENSE?

I mean, using your philosophy, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to go out and thrash the Celtics by yourself. All you gotta do is hit your shots and play D. Have you ever lost a game by a massive margin? Well, why didn't you just play better? Just stop that other team and outplay them?

You act like all athletes are created equal. 100-0 is sickening. You think that team just wasn't TRYING, and that's why they lost? You think after 59-0 at half, if that team would have just had an inspirational speech made by their coach (who happens to be a canine) that they would have been able to gut it out, and win 64-63 on a last second half court buzzer beater?

This is HIGH school. This isn't a bunch of athletes getting paid millions to go entertain an arena full of people. The attitude you have that winning, demolishing your opponent is more important than the REAL reason for high school athletic competition is sad. It's what has led a lot of kids to steroids and drug abuse at an early age so they can have that "extra edge" to destroy whoever they play on any field or court.

BlackSwordsMan
01-26-2009, 07:26 PM
The coach got fired.
lolol

mystargtr34
01-26-2009, 08:12 PM
:lmao I would have loved to see that game.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=903780

Associated Press

DALLAS -- A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.

Now officials from The Covenant School say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

Samantha Peloza grabs a rebound in practice a week after their 100-0 win.
"It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened," Kyle Queal, the head of the school, said in a statement, adding the forfeit was requested because "a victory without honor is a great loss."

The private Christian school defeated Dallas Academy last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

:lmao :lmao Was George Karl the coach???

Dallas Academy coach Jeremy Civello told The Dallas Morning News that the game turned into a "layup drill," with the opposing team's guards waiting to steal the ball and drive to the basket. Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

"On a personal note, I told the coach of the losing team how much I admire their girls for continuing to compete against all odds," Burleson said. "They showed much more character than the coach that allowed that score to get out of hand. It's up to the coach to control the outcome."

In the statement on the Covenant Web site, Queal said the game "does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community."

Covenant coach Micah Grimes did not immediately respond to a message left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

Queal said school officials met with Dallas Academy officials to apologize and praised "each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner."

Civello said he appreciated the gesture and has accepted the apology "with no ill feelings."

At a shootaround Thursday, several Dallas Academy players said they were frustrated during the game but felt it was a learning opportunity. They also said they are excited about some of the attention they are receiving from the loss, including an invitation from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to see an NBA game from his suite.

"Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing," said Shelby Hyatt, a freshman on the team. "Keep trying, and it's going to be OK."

Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls afterward for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said of the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."

Beno was running the point for Dallas Academy.