PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan Unfazed By Payton Protest

duncan228
01-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Duncan unfazed by Payton protest (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_unfazed_by_Payton_protest.html)
Mike Monroe

Spurs power forward Tim Duncan was not glued to his TV set for Thursday's televised announcement of the All-Star Game starters, so he missed former All-Star Gary Payton's dismissive comments about him.

Except for Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, Duncan received more All-Star votes than any Western Conference player at any position. Payton, commenting on the TNT telecast on which the announcement was made, took exception to his selection by fans worldwide.

Not only did Payton say he believed Minnesota's Al Jefferson was more deserving of an All-Star spot, he asserted that Jefferson was capable of making the Spurs just as good a team as Duncan has.

“I didn't hear what he said,” Duncan said before the Spurs took the floor at the AT&T Center on Friday night to face the New Jersey Nets, “but I heard a lot about what he said.”

Duncan said he had no clue why Payton might have such negative feelings about him.

His response was typical Duncan: 14 points and seven rebounds in the first quarter against the Nets.

The China Syndrome? Duncan and many of his teammates were astonished at one of the final results of the fan voting: Bruce Bowen's third-place finish among Western Conference forwards.

Even coach Gregg Popovich was amazed.

“Don't they know he's played less this year than ever?” Popovich said.

Bowen never had finished among the top 10 forwards before, but trailed Phoenix Suns star Amaré Stoudemire, the other starter, by only 68,031 votes.

“That would have been awesome,” Duncan said of Bowen's near-miss. “One more trip to China, and he's in.”

Bowen has paid a number of good-will visits to China during his NBA career, participating in clinics and other programs.

“He was doing a clinic in China when we signed him seven years ago,” Popovich said.

Manu Ginobili, who finished fourth in voting among guards, has his own plan to increase his future totals.

“I'm going to India,” he said. “All the business is taken in China.”

Duncan offered another plausible explanation for the nearly 1.4 million votes for Bowen, whose wife, Yardley, has a popular spa in the suburbs: “I think they were offering a free pedicure to anyone who voted for Bruce 50 times,” Duncan said.

Yorae
01-23-2009, 11:53 PM
“That would have been awesome,” Duncan said of Bowen's near-miss. “One more trip to China, and he's in.”

LOL! :downspin:

FreeMason
01-23-2009, 11:55 PM
lmao Manu is a smart dude.

xtremesteven33
01-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Paytons a moron.

i lost alot of respect for him when he said that. Not only because im a spurs fan but because he has obvious animosity towards Tim. And he was unprofessional enough to show it indirectly on national tv.

m33p0
01-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Manu Ginobili, who finished fourth in voting among guards, has his own plan to increase his future totals. “I'm going to India,” he said. “All the business is taken in China.”
thinking out of the box. :tu

m33p0
01-23-2009, 11:59 PM
His response was typical Duncan: 14 points and seven rebounds in the first quarter against the Nets.
tim to gary: "Eat me!"

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Typical good sense of humour displayed by the Spurs players. Manu would be a funny guy to have a few drinks with I think.

As for Payton, dissing Duncan - WTF? He just lost any respect I ever had for him. And Al Jeff is a nice post player, but saying he could make the Spurs what Timmy has is jst absurd. Jeff is an average defender, and a poor passer, nowhere near the outside shooter TD is, and he has none of TD's immense BBIQ and proven clutchness. I think Payton must've had a stroke...

ShoogarBear
01-24-2009, 12:07 AM

Hilarious.

Phenomanul
01-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Payton was just lobbying for his boy, Shaq.

Besides Payton has always disrepected the Spurs in general...

ShoogarBear
01-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Everyone must have caught Kenny railing on GP last night.

First, Kenny was talking about the night he scored 25 in a half on the Sonics. They asked who was guarding him. Kenny turned his head away from Payton and glanced behind him like he was blowing past him: "Yeah, it might have been him."

Then, later, they were talking about their comparative stats and Kenny said, "here's the only stat that matters . . . two to none". Payton immediately said, "what do you mean, 'none'?", and Kenny said, "oh, wait, I forgot, you stole one on the way out."

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-24-2009, 12:17 AM

First, Kenny was talking about the night he scored 25 in a half on the Sonics. They asked who was guarding him. Kenny turned his head away from Payton and glanced behind him like he was blowing past him: "Yeah, it might have been him."

Then, later, they were talking about their comparative stats and Kenny said, "here's the only stat that matters . . . two to none". Payton immediately said, "what do you mean, 'none'?", and Kenny said, "oh, wait, I forgot, you stole one on the way out."

:lmao

Nice one Kenny!

Solid D
01-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Gary probably won't last as an analyst/personality for TNT. He may not even last with NBAtv. He's not that funny and his insights are forgettable. His bravado comes off too cocky. Plus, his stupid prediction after the Spurs went 1-3 to start the season, when Payton proclaimed "They thew...they thew (through)." Chris Webber just laughed at Payton on that one.

m33p0
01-24-2009, 12:37 AM

PWNED!

ClingingMars
01-24-2009, 12:43 AM

i love the Spurs' interviews.

-Mars

DMX7
01-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Duncan unfazed by Payton protest (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_unfazed_by_Payton_protest.html)

Not only did Payton say he believed Minnesota's Al Jefferson was more deserving of an All-Star spot, he asserted that Jefferson was capable of making the Spurs just as good a team as Duncan has.

Jefferson is good but he wouldn't make the Spurs better than Duncan has, period.

whottt
01-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Payton idolized Gervin too...I think he's just talking trash.

milkyway21
01-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Duncan :“That would have been awesome,” Duncan said of Bowen's near-miss. “One more trip to China, and he's in.”

It is about time for Stern to schedule the Spurs in a pre-season game in China, what do you think? :wakeup

BTW, Payton looked like a fool during that Jefferson- shld-start-ahead-of-Duncan cry of his. I didn't realize that it's not only his head which is smaller than we usually see but he has tiny brain as well. Jefferson has potentials but Jefferson over TD to lead a team? Give me a break!! :oops

baseline bum
01-24-2009, 01:40 AM
Maybe Payton's pissed that Pop passed on the Parker/Daniels/Rose for GP trade with Seattle back in '01. Did we ever luck out there.

scanry
01-24-2009, 01:48 AM

:lol:lol

BTW Gary "i rode the coat tails of Wade" Payton was cocky in 2006 before Wade straightened him out. It's funny to watch him drool all over Wade now. :lol

BTW Gary is one bitter mofo. He's still bitter over Stockton getting more love from the media and the fans. :lol Well GP, he was a far better player than you were.

BTW didn't he choke in 1995 by loosing to the 8th seed in the playoffs? :rollin

milkyway21
01-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Payton must have known Duncan didn't want him on his team either. ..

m33p0
01-24-2009, 01:51 AM
:lol:lol

BTW Gary "i rode the coat tails of Wade" Payton was cocky in 2006 before Wade straightened him out. It's funny to watch him drool all over Wade now. :lol

BTW Gary is one bitter mofo. He's still bitter over Stockton getting more love from the media and the fans. :lol Well GP, he was a far better player than you were.

BTW didn't he choke in 1995 by loosing to the 8th seed in the playoffs? :rollin
he didn't choke on his own. mutombo shoved the ball down the sonics' collective throats.:lol

duncan228
01-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Duncan post game, when asked if his game tonight was a statement to Payton.

I don't make statements to Gary Payton. I'll let Gary Payton kill himself.

baseline bum
01-24-2009, 02:16 AM

:lol Harsh

Payton did still hit the game-winning shot in the pivotal game of that Finals.

https://www.bestsportsphotos.com/images/t_25466_06.jpg

SenorSpur
01-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Payton IS a moron - and not just because of is comments about Duncan. He offers NOTHING in the way of analysis. He just talks "on-air" trash the same way he did on the court - just without the cuss words.

MI21
01-24-2009, 02:41 AM
I vividly remember hearing during the 01-02 Playoff series against Seattle when Timmys father passed away that Tim and Gary were friends off of the court. Strange that Gary would say those things about Tim.

Obstructed_View
01-24-2009, 05:56 AM
:lol Harsh

Payton did still hit the game-winning shot in the pivotal game of that Finals.

https://www.bestsportsphotos.com/images/t_25466_06.jpg

And he had two terrible turnovers late in the final game that almost cost them.

Allanon
01-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Al Jefferson? Al Jefferson is one of the worst defenders I have ever seen.

Tim Duncan plays Defense, sorry Al.

buttsR4rebounding
01-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Maybe Payton's pissed that Pop passed on the Parker/Daniels/Rose for GP trade with Seattle back in '01. Did we ever luck out there.

...and the fact that there is nowhere to retire his jersey. I've heard him mention that before. Heck, I say retire it in Key arena at half time of a high school game. If the Glove don't fit, his brain must be sh!t...

Spurs Brazil
01-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Fuck GP

Who cares about what he said. Monroe and McDonald should be talking about TD great night and forget about GP

G-Nob
01-24-2009, 09:20 AM
GP can't leave his job.
He's got 19 fun babies across the country he's gotta take care of.

galvatron3000
01-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Sometimes former players, especially All stars, say things about the game that make me question their knowledge of the game (Reggie Miller anyone?) but I realize people are human and have motives that are mostly unknown to us so take it with a grain of salt and chalk it up to we disagree with his assessment and move on.

spursncowboys
01-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Does anyone have a link to that?

RobSM64
01-24-2009, 11:51 AM
dVfhFEK6LXc

there's part of it on here. :downspin:

Drachen
01-24-2009, 12:23 PM
PWNED!

I think they should hire Tim Hardaway, he is less likely to say something stupid than Payton.

Rapper
01-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I would like to tell Manu one thing that the business in China haven't been taken yet:flag:

Duncan2177
01-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Lay off the crack Gary.

picnroll
01-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Get well soon Chuck.