Mike Bibby

Robert Horry

whottt
03-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Ahem...http://www.mistilynn.com/rh02-15.jpg

missmyzte
03-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Ahem...http://www.mistilynn.com/rh02-15.jpg

Amazing, no matter how much time passes or how many times I watch that game or how many times I see that picture, it makes me smile each and every time. :)

(and I just noticed that the picture came from my site, lol)

whottt
03-02-2005, 01:32 AM
I had a slight hunch I might be able to find an Horry picture there :)

timvp
03-02-2005, 01:35 AM
I wouldn't put Miller or Horry in the top five anymore. Perhaps Miller, but when was the last time Horry hit a clutch shot?

whottt
03-02-2005, 01:50 AM
If you are talking lately then Kobe, Horry and Reggie need to be off of it.

And I'd argue...how clutch can you really be if you've won no championships? Not clutch enough...

Therefore why are AI and Wade on the list?

I'd say maybe Chauncy Billups has earned a spot on that list.

And Jack.

boutons
03-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Ben Gordan/Bulls has had several clutch shots this year.

Rummpd
03-02-2005, 02:40 AM
Despite last 2 nights I would put Manu right there. Has carried Spurs late 4th much of year.

jalbre6
03-02-2005, 02:57 AM
Today, right now? Love the Chauncey Billups suggestion. Kobe for obvious reasons. AI too. Wade's pretty close. Manu...maybe as well. T-Mac's got a right to be mentioned.

But if you're an opposing coach, and you see Big Shot Rob in the game with a couple seconds left on the clock, you're nervous. Still.

FromWayDowntown
03-02-2005, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't put Miller or Horry in the top five anymore. Perhaps Miller, but when was the last time Horry hit a clutch shot?

Miller still hit a huge shot to win an ECF game for Indy last year. It seems to me that he also had another game this season where he hit a bunch of 3's at the end to bring Indy back. As long as he plays, Miller remains one of the most clutch players in the association.

Horry's "clutchness" is mitigated by his performances in the last 2 playoffs. But I'd imagine that Horry with a late look is something that most opposing fans would still hate to see. Horry is the embodiment of clutch as a matter of perception.

If you're just talking about playing big in big games (not just about hitting clock-beating shots) guys like Duncan, Shaq, Billups have to be up there. If you're talking about getting the kill with a single shot, I'd still go with Miller and Horry and well, there is that Fisher guy.

johnny00
03-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Horry lost his clutch shot touch sometime at the end of last year. The rest of the league just hasn't realized it yet.

Kerrville
03-02-2005, 03:33 PM
How about Tracy McGrady? 13 points in 30+ seconds is pretty clutch if you ask me.

waly.mg
03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
I want more rebounds by TD in the Clutch
In the Season vs Utah, SA lost a Clutch D Rebound and Okur take it and won the Game

sickdsm
03-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Clutch? 82games.com defines that as 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team up by more than 5. Surprise, surprise, Bryant wouldn't make the top 10.

Kobe is at .282 FG %
TD at .378
AI .368
KG .500
TMac .347

Kobe still easily wins in Pts/48 Minutes (using these numbers) at nearly 44 PPG. It would appear he can't make a shot besides a FT during crunch time. Kobe at one end of the spectrum jacks it up 34.6 shots a game at this rate and the other is Timmy at 23 and KG at 24.

Does crunch time mean when the shot clock is winding down? Kobe still doesn't rate. KG leads this group at 56 % FG.

Kobe also is the worst in the hands rating too.

whottt
03-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Horry lost his clutch shot touch sometime at the end of last year. The rest of the league just hasn't realized it yet.

The guy has missed one shot...and it was when he was struggling throughout the playoffs 3 years ago...and that was still the best shot he took in that series.

There is no way to know if Horry still has "the shot" or not because he hasn't taken one.

TDMVPDPOY
03-02-2005, 04:29 PM
clutch is overated, duncan is not clutch cose he doesnt have to when ur team is blowin out teams in wins by 10-15pts.

GrandeDavid
03-02-2005, 04:44 PM
As much as I like Robert Horry, when I think of him I recall that shot that rimmed out against San Antonio in the 2003 playoffs. Its been a few years since he's really hit a shot heard round the world. Perhaps he hasn't been given many opportunities to do so, but he has hit very few, nonetheless.

I agree with Duncan being up there. The thing about Duncan is its not so much the buzzer beaters he's capable of hitting, such as against LA in last year's pivotal Game 5 of the WCSF or the other night's game winner at Cleveland. No, the thing about Duncan is that if he DOES miss a clutch shot in one game, you can take it to the bank that come next game he'll come through for you.

1Parker1
03-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Clutch? 82games.com defines that as 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team up by more than 5. Surprise, surprise, Bryant wouldn't make the top 10.

Kobe is at .282 FG %
TD at .378
AI .368
KG .500
TMac .347

What? If you are looking at the league right now, Kobe has got to be #1 or in the top 3 at least when it comes to clutchness. You're telling me that if your team is ahead by 1 pt or 2 pts and there's under 10 sec left on the clock, out of all the players mentioned above, you wouldn't be the most scared when Kobe takes that last shot? Kobe thrives on moments like those, its like his confidence goes sky high. IMO, he is very clutch, with AI and Wade coming in close behind. Also, McGrady (though I hate to admit it:))

I don't really think clutchness is something that can be measured accurately with stats. Either you have it or you don't on a given night. There are extenuating circumstances on a lot of those plays.

sickdsm
03-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Given enough opportunities, guys like Kobe are bound to hit a few. It has more to do with greed than anything. The stats show that Kobe does what he does thanks to free throws. When you put it into the hands of the officials, that takes a lot away. Brett Favre got his rep not by getting roughing the passer calls or interfernce, but by taking and making his shots.

Guys don't get better when pressure's on the line, some guys just don't lose it like most do. Theres a big differnce there. Its just like the playoffs, for all the guys that are known as big playoff performers, most of them are in the same range. 18 pt/game scorers don't go off for 35 on %50 for the entire playoffs.

td4mvp21
03-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Duncan is still very clutch.

ALVAREZ6
03-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Duncan is clutch just because of 1 game winner? wow.

I would add Michael Redd to that list.

Redd averages over 60% FG's in all of his 4th quarters.

E20
03-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Clutchness doesn't equal field goal % in the 4th quarter.

ALVAREZ6
03-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Sure it does.

Making your shots down the stretch is pretty clutch to me, I mean, if you think about, those are the shots that LEAD to the game winner.

Either way, 60+% average in the 4th is pretty good.

E20
03-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Micheal Red shot 4-5 in the 4th quarter 80% and they lost the game. Clutchness is down with limited amount of time and making big shots. You can go 1-4 and make a basket that sinks the game and it is clutch.

sungo99
03-02-2005, 07:24 PM

Clutchness equals whatever particular late game shot(s) you remember.

ALVAREZ6
03-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Micheal Red shot 4-5 in the 4th quarter 80% and they lost the game. Clutchness is down with limited amount of time and making big shots. You can go 1-4 and make a basket that sinks the game and it is clutch.
Whatever have it your way, it doesn't matter.

I was just trying to point something out.

You win. It's over. Happy?

E20
03-02-2005, 07:30 PM
You win. It's over. Happy
Yes.

whottt
03-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Alvarez, that wasn't the only game winning shot Duncan has hit like that...he's hit a few of them, and even though we came out on the wrong end of .04, he hit a pretty damn clutch shot in that game as well.

ALVAREZ6
03-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Yeah I know I'm just saying, that is the main reason for people thinking Duncan is Mr. Clutch...I just think there are others more clutch then him that people didn't list before him.

johnny00
03-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Clutch? 82games.com defines that as 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team up by more than 5.
If this is what we are defining as clutch, I've got to disagree with you Whott. With the few games the Spurs have had that fit this catagory (Memphis and Cleveland games most recently) wasn't Horry involved in a few opportunities to help cut the leads in these games? I could've sworn cussing out Robert for rimming out some baskets in the fourth against Cleveland.

ZStomp
03-02-2005, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't say Duncan in the top 5.

Me either.

Duncan usually takes care of business before hand.

TDfan2007
03-02-2005, 11:42 PM

In 02-03 Tim had 3 game winners and hit a big three against the hornets.

Last year against Indiana Tim made a great pass that lead to a game-tying 3 by Hedo. Then in OT he made the game winning shot.

Not to mention that shot he hit in WCSF against LA.

kskonn
03-03-2005, 12:12 AM
I think what makes duncan clutch is the fact that I can not think of to many game winners he has missed. I think he makes more than he misses. However I do agree that duncan takes care of business before hand, which I would much rather have a player that puts his team in that situation.

Iron Giant
03-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Bibby needs to be in any discussion of clutch--I can't think of anyone in the league who steps up more quickly when the rest of his team is cold. Peja needs to buy him a humvee or something....

td4mvp21
03-03-2005, 06:24 PM

I would add Michael Redd to that list.

Redd averages over 60% FG's in all of his 4th quarters.

that isnt what i said. i would rather have the ball in his hands at the end of a game that is tied or whne we are down than anyone else in the leagues.

boutons
03-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Looking at Tim's clutch shot a little closer:

For a low-post player, has Tim in recent seasons made in any clutc shots from down low?

I can remember is his outside shots. I have way too many memories of him getting double-teamed and hacked and fouled when down (if he can even post up down low) in crunch time.

ALVAREZ6
03-03-2005, 08:21 PM
that isnt what i said. i would rather have the ball in his hands at the end of a game that is tied or whne we are down than anyone else in the leagues.
I wouldn't... only because I feel more comfortable with the ball in a guards hands.

For example, I would rather have Reggie Miller or Kobe Bryant take my last shot, even though as a player a really dislike Kobe.

Reggie has hit more clutch shots than anyone.