PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Can Bowen Be An All-Star? Yes, He Can

duncan228
01-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Can Bowen be an all-star? Yes, he can (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_unfazed_by_Payton_protest.html)
Mike Monroe

His teammates were astonished Friday when they learned that Spurs forward Bruce Bowen finished third, a scant 68,031 votes behind second-place Amare Stoudemire in fan balloting for starting forwards for the Western Conference All-Star team.

Bowen, who spoke at a campaign rally last fall with then-Presidential candidate Barack Obama, had a perfectly logical explanation.

“Surprised?” the team’s defensive stopper said. “Not at all. People can relate to me. Maybe it’s because I’ve had the opportunity to take some pictures with President Obama, and sit down and talk to him. And through his campaign, we know that ‘Yes, we can.’.”

Bowen may not have been surprised he finished ahead of such Western forwards as Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki and Pau Gasol, but his teammates were astounded.

Even coach Gregg Popovich was amazed.

“Don’t they know he’s played less this year than ever?” Popovich said.

Spurs power forward Tim Duncan, the leading vote-getter among Western forwards, wished he had found the extra votes needed to pass Stoudemire.

“That would have been awesome,” Duncan said of Bowen’s near-miss. “One more trip to China, and he’s in.”

Bowen has paid a number of good-will visits to China during his NBA career. Since Internet voting has gone worldwide, players with connections to Asia have drawn millions of votes.

Manu Ginobili, who finished fourth in voting among guards, has his own plan to increase his future totals.

“I’m going to India,” he said. “All the business is taken in China.”

Duncan offered another explanation for the nearly 1.4 million votes garnered by Bowen, whose wife, Yardley, has a popular spa in the suburbs: “I think they were offering a free pedicure to anyone who voted for Bruce 50 times,” Duncan said.

Bowen responded with mock indignity at Duncan’s suggestion.

“Wow,” he said. “See how jealousy and envy can divide folks.”

Baby Fundamental: Nets 7-footer Brook Lopez, the 10th pick in the 2008 draft, has been likened to Duncan, most recently by Heat coach Eric Spoelstra, who called him “Baby Fundamental.”

After facing him for the first time Friday, Duncan did not object to the comparisons.

Lopez scored 15 points and grabbed eight rebounds, but missed a layup on a perfectly executed pick and roll play with 16.9 seconds left, and the Nets trailing by four.

“I like him,” Duncan said. “I thought he was solid. Obviously, he had a tough end to the game, when he missed that layup, but he was solid. He didn’t try to do anything outside of himself. He seemed like he was setting his feet and he shot the ball pretty well. Good footwork, just a solid big. I think he’ll be good for them.”

Solid D
01-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Baby Fundamental: Nets 7-footer Brook Lopez, the 10th pick in the 2008 draft, has been likened to Duncan, most recently by Heat coach Eric Spoelstra, who called him “Baby Fundamental.”

After facing him for the first time Friday, Duncan did not object to the comparisons.

Lopez scored 15 points and grabbed eight rebounds, but missed a layup on a perfectly executed pick and roll play with 16.9 seconds left, and the Nets trailing by four.

“I like him,” Duncan said. “I thought he was solid. Obviously, he had a tough end to the game, when he missed that layup, but he was solid. He didn’t try to do anything outside of himself. He seemed like he was setting his feet and he shot the ball pretty well. Good footwork, just a solid big. I think he’ll be good for them.”

when he missed that layup...just like The Big Fundamental did just a few plays earlier. :lol

milkyway21
01-24-2009, 01:35 AM
Bowen has paid a number of good-will visits to China during his NBA career. Since Internet voting has gone worldwide, players with connections to Asia have drawn millions of votesthe Pinoys love Bruce Bowen. His suits are made to order here so we voted for him a 10x than any other NBA players this yr.
These mystery votes are from us, not China :lol

Yorae
01-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Yay!!!

m33p0
01-24-2009, 02:41 AM
the Pinoys love Bruce Bowen. His suits are made to order here so we voted for him a 10x than any other NBA players this yr.
These mystery votes are from us, not China :lol
the cat is out of the bag. we do export out-sourcing, including nba all-star voting. :lmao

iggypop123
01-24-2009, 02:46 AM
he had more votes than melo and gasol. this is even more pathetic than Yi

Yorae
01-24-2009, 03:13 AM
the cat is out of the bag. we do export out-sourcing, including nba all-star voting. :lmao

I never thought BPO industry could go that far! :downspin:

Austin_Toros
01-24-2009, 04:25 AM

at least Yi has all of Chine to vote for him; who has Bowen got?
this would be at least slightly understandable if he was playing well, but this season his minutes have dropped and his performance has declined.

Spurs Brazil
01-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Duncan offered another explanation for the nearly 1.4 million votes garnered by Bowen, whose wife, Yardley, has a popular spa in the suburbs: “I think they were offering a free pedicure to anyone who voted for Bruce 50 times,” Duncan said.

:lol

ManuTP9
01-24-2009, 10:16 AM
lol bowen would beast in the all star game

exstatic
01-24-2009, 10:45 AM
at least Yi has all of Chine to vote for him; who has Bowen got?
this would be at least slightly understandable if he was playing well,but this season his minutes have dropped and his performance has declined.
2008-2009 FG% .464 career .409
2008-2009 3G% .451 career .393

You might want to do some research, skippy, before you play the "declining performance" card. Of course, you also think Marcus Williams has NBA talent, so maybe you're just a complete dumbass, and nothing would help.

SequSpur
01-24-2009, 12:58 PM
If Bowen goes into the allstar game, I will definitely tune into The Girls Next Door.

polandprzem
01-24-2009, 01:04 PM
If Bowen goes into the allstar game, I will definitely tune into The Girls Next Door.
Couldn't you just tune out?

:ihit

ShoogarBear
01-24-2009, 01:45 PM

Phew . . . at first I read this as "turn into".

EricB
01-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Phew . . . at first I read this as "turn into".

The way he bitches it makes me wonder sometimes.

Rogue
01-24-2009, 06:18 PM
lol

as long as ak f***ing 47 had joined the all-star game several times, why the F couldn't bruce take a place there? AK is famous for his blocks but he should have stopped the opponent breaking into the rim before the blocks, blocks are the last choice just like wars. for sure bruce is a much better over-all defender though he plays less this season. ak and bradley and prince are each a faggot, yao is a double-faggots.:lmao

Biggems
01-24-2009, 07:25 PM

are you serious? Bowen at least has established himself in the NBA. He has been one of the best perimeter defenders for the past 6-7 years. He also led the NBA in 3pt shooting one year and was top 3 another year.

Sure he shouldnt be picked over Gasol or Melo...but to say it is more absurd than Yi........is well, ABSURD.