PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Gary Payton Has Lost His Mind, And Other Observations

duncan228
01-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Gary Payton has lost his mind, and other observations (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/01/gary-payton-has.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Tim Duncan's 30-point, 15-rebound, five-assist, four-block night against New Jersey should not be considered an extended middle finger toward former-NBA-player-turned-talking-head Gary Payton.

Yes, Payton told a national TV audience Thursday night that Duncan didn't deserve to start the All-Star Game, and that Minnesota's Al Jefferson did. Duncan swears he didn't see that particular comment, and besides, Duncan said, "I don't make statements to Gary Payton."

Some of Duncan's teammates, however, were more than happy to.
Here's Michael Finley, talking about Payton: "A lot of guys get out of the game and forget they played the game." And Tony Parker: "Everybody can have an opinion. We all know Timmy's an All-Star."

Roger Mason Jr. did not see Thursday's All-Star announcement and Payton's subsequent foot-in-mouth parlor trick. Informed after Friday's game, Mason looked at me as if I'd just told him Payton was pushing Cloris Leachman for Miss Teen USA.

"He said what?" Mason asked. I repeated it.

"Wow," Mason replied. "Has he not seen Tim play this year?"

Some other quick observations from tonight's game:

* Manu Ginobili continues to fluctuate between really, really good, and not-so-good. Save for a brief stint in the third quarter, this was one of the not-so-good. A glimpse: Upon entering the game in the first quarter, Ginobili nearly threw the ball away for a turnover, then actually did turn it over when he dribbled off his foot in the open court. Later, he successfully contested a Jarvis Hayes jumper, but then forgot to box out. As Ginobili jogged up the court, the ball bounced right back to Hayes for a rebound. Gregg Popovich immediately dispatched Finley to replace Manu.

* Another solid night for Kurt Thomas, whose contributions don't always appear in the box score. The Spurs immediately become tougher when he gets in the game. He's one of those old-school guys who would rather knock you down than let you shoot a layup.

* Parker deferred to Duncan too much in the first half. It was understandable, considering the way Duncan was abusing the Nets, but the Spurs aren't the same team unless Parker is being aggressive. Parker came out in the second half looking for his shot, and scored 11 points in four minutes. That's when the Spurs began to assert control of the game.

* All in all, and important win. The Spurs go on the road for 11 of the next 12, with the one home game coming Jan. 31 against New Orleans. Eight of the 12 opponents the Spurs face over this stretch made the playoffs last season.

m33p0
01-24-2009, 02:15 AM
And Tony Parker: "Everybody can have an opinion. Everybody knows Timmy is a Hall-of-famer.".
thought i'd fix it for poor-ole jeff.

SenorSpur
01-24-2009, 02:35 AM
I swear Manu, for all his greatness, goes completely "brain-dead" at times. That turnover in the last few seconds was absolutely inexecusable. Carelessly giving the ball back to the Nets, when your team is nursing a 3-pt lead was just horrible and un-called for. He's just too great of a player to be as careless as he sometimes is.

Lest I remind everyone of his brain-dead foul, and resulting and-1, on Dirk, in Game 7 of the 2006 WCSF. Why Manu, why?

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2009, 02:42 AM
Manu and Tony both have not only been forcing the issue too much, but they have also been a step or two slow. Whether it be from their injuries or what, in order for the Spurs to be a threat for the Larry Obrien Trophy both need to get back to what they used to be.

iggypop123
01-24-2009, 02:45 AM
payton is just trying to provide the controversy that barkley left

mrspurs
01-24-2009, 04:29 AM
I swear Manu, for all his greatness, goes completely "brain-dead" at time. That turnover in the last few seconds was absolutely inexecusable. Carelessly giving the ball back to the Nets, when your team is nursing a 3-pt lead was just horrible and un-called for. He's just too great of a player to be as careless as he sometimes it.

Lest I remind everyone of his brain-dead foul, and resulting and-1, on Dirk, in Game 7 of the 2006 WCSF. Why Manu, why?

Understood. He did it again later on, balled rolled off his foot. But that pass to Finley, (a play we use from time to time) at the end of the game was perfect. As for the Glove, never much liked him.

Rapper
01-24-2009, 04:38 AM

Man this is what i think:toast

polandprzem
01-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Hey it's great that Manu made that turnover.
He will be more motivated for the Lakers on Sunday!

Bring them on

TDMVPDPOY
01-24-2009, 05:51 AM
the intro in this article is the best ive seen so far out of all the wankin shit articles he wrote so far....

AlamoSpursFan
01-24-2009, 05:58 AM
thought i'd fix it for poor-ole jeff.

Since it was a quote, you're technically fixing it for poor-ole tony.

PM5K
01-24-2009, 06:02 AM
Man this is what i think:toast

I wouldn't call that controversy, I mean you shouldn't have to make yourself look like a complete idiot in the process...

Obstructed_View
01-24-2009, 06:10 AM

If he wanted controversy he'd have said something about a player or a team people actually watch and that the sports stations actually cover.

m33p0
01-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Since it was a quote, you're technically fixing it for poor-ole tony.
that was what tony said. mcdonald misquoted.

Obstructed_View
01-24-2009, 06:17 AM
that was what tony said. mcdonald misquoted.

Someone should explain to him what those little tic marks around words mean. Maybe the person who hired him.

mookie2001
01-24-2009, 09:03 AM
* Manu Ginobili continues to fluctuate between really, really good, and not-so-good.

what else is new?

Obamas a globalist too, did you hear?

Bender
01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
pretty good "Observations" this time around, despite several people here looking to "fix" stuff...

spursfan09
01-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Not even Barkley would say something that controversial especially about TD.

exstatic
01-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Not even Barkley would say something that controversial especially about TD.

Barkley says plenty of controversial stuff. The difference is that what Barkley says is true, or at least debatable. GP needs to learn that. You can't just throw something out there to BE controversial.

Spurminator
01-24-2009, 01:13 PM
No offense to the esteemed staff of the EN, but writing multiple articles about the derogatory comments of an NBA television analyst is a very Dallas thing to do. WGAF about Gary Payton?

ShoogarBear
01-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Actually, I thought this was one of the best things I've ever read from Mickey-D. From the title, to the "extended middle finger" :lol, to the "quick observations". All very solid.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Ginobili and Parker were both complete abortions last night.

Spurs should trade Ginobili for Brooke Lopez.

EricB
01-24-2009, 01:43 PM
McDonald might have found the acorn....

Horse
01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
I swear Manu, for all his greatness, goes completely "brain-dead" at times. That turnover in the last few seconds was absolutely inexecusable. Carelessly giving the ball back to the Nets, when your team is nursing a 3-pt lead was just horrible and un-called for. He's just too great of a player to be as careless as he sometimes is.

I don't get why people always say that. Now I agree he should'nt have come anywhere near him considering the game situation, But I've seen it again and again and he did not foul or even touch dirk. Stern knew we would blow phoenix and then miami away so he pulled his magic to let dirk and his boys fuck it up. So sterns fat-ass boyfriend shaq could have another ring he did'nt deserve.

Mal
01-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Why Payton says such bullshits ? To be 2nd Barkley, to work in some bullshit tv, saying Spurs sucks, LeBron Sucks. McHale and Jefferson rox.

Pathethic

Manufan909
01-24-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't get why people always say that. Now I agree he should'nt have come anywhere near him considering the game situation, But I've seen it again and again and he did not foul or even touch dirk. Stern knew we would blow phoenix and then miami away so he pulled his magic to let dirk and his boys fuck it up. So sterns fat-ass boyfriend shaq could have another ring he did'nt deserve.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but I remember a quote of Dirks saying that it wasn't even a foul. Fucking Stern. If the Spurs were a big market team they would've repeated already.

MarHill
01-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I listened to GP the other night and I wonder has he watched any Spurs games this season.

TD carried the team in the early part of the season when TP and Manu went down. And he has played consistently all season.

Al Jefferson is a terrific young PF with excellent offensive skills but he's nowhere near the player that TD is. End of story.

pawe
01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Big Al will be the starting all star forward after TD retires.
But for now, Tim will shut that little bitch's mouth when the LOB trophy is presented to the Spurs in June.

ClingingMars
01-24-2009, 11:31 PM
a good article by McDonald?

maybe there is a God.

-Mars