PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix "might now be open" in trading Amare

Duncanoypi
01-24-2009, 09:08 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11294057

NEW YORK -- Steve Nash stood in the corner of the visiting locker room at Madison Square Garden, his whispered tone barely audible after another inexplicable defeat. Moments later, Shaquille O'Neal sat in front of his locker and provided his typically blunt brand of Shaq-analysis.

On the other side of the room, Amare Stoudemire adjusted his cufflinks and brushed lint off his snazzy vest while delivering what qualified as the most forthright indictment of the Phoenix Suns' downfall. Stoudemire marveled at the freewheeling play of Wednesday night's opponent, Mike D'Antoni's Knicks, and seemed to be longing for the days when the Suns had that much fun playing basketball.

Those days appear to be over. The sun may be dipping below the horizon on Phoenix's four-year run of near-greatness.

"You want to play free," Stoudemire was saying after the listless Suns succumbed to the Knicks 114-109, their fourth loss in five games. "You want to play organized basketball, but you do want to have some type of playground atmosphere -- the type of attitude where guys can't stop you and everybody's having fun. That type of attitude is what we're looking for and what we need."

A week ago, the Suns had won three straight -- including impressive victories over Dallas and Atlanta -- and were beginning to feel good about themselves for the first time since the latest foundation-shaking trade that sent D'Antoni mainstays Boris Diaw and Raja Bell to Charlotte for Jason Richardson.

Until their current slide, which includes consecutive road losses to the Celtics and Knicks and a home loss to the lowly Timberwolves, there was unanimity within the organization to ride through the rest of the season with the roster intact and resist the urge to make any more major changes. But the recent trend is so disturbing that rival executives believe the Suns have quickly changed course and are "re-evaluating" that position.

At various times this season, the Suns have conveyed a willingness to move backup point guard Leandro Barbosa -- another D'Antoni favorite -- if the right deal came along. Given Phoenix's lackluster play of late, CBSSports.com has learned that the organization might now be open to considering a much bigger deal -- one involving Stoudemire.

Having played five games in seven nights including two sets of back-to-backs, the Suns' elder statesmen -- Shaq, Nash and Grant Hill -- wouldn't admit it, but they were tired. One might have expected a pick-me-up from Stoudemire, the team's youngest star at 26. Instead, Stoudemire gave the Suns nothing in consecutive losses at Boston and New York, shooting a combined 6-for-24 -- including 0-for-7 against the Celtics.

Stoudemire has made no attempt to hide his frustration with the 180-degree change in offensive approach from D'Antoni to Terry Porter, who has had little choice but to run the offense through O'Neal in the post. As the high pick-and-roll man with Nash in the D'Antoni system, Stoudemire put up massive numbers last season -- his second full year since returning from microfracture surgery -- averaging 25.2 points and 9.1 rebounds while shooting 59 percent.

It was not lost on Stoudemire that David Lee -- a power forward with modest offensive skills -- had 25 points and 16 rebounds Wednesday night while punishing Phoenix in the high pick-and-roll.

"I think Mike's offense allowed guys to play free and comfortable and play with confidence," Stoudemire said. "I'm not saying this offense is wrong, because we've got Big Fella. Big Fella's playing well for us. We've just got to play with confidence. We've got to play free, just go out there and play hard and have fun doing it."

Nash, who holds D'Antoni in the highest regard, is reluctant to praise his former coach too much -- lest he betray his true feelings about the direction of the team and Porter's style.

"He took his style and brought it to New York," Nash said. "I'm going to be very careful not to say something that sounds like one's better than the other."

Before the Suns' current slump, Nash said he was "feeling pretty good about our team and felt like we had turned a corner. So to take two steps back here lately has been frustrating, and I wish I had the answers for it. ... Why that's continuing to happen, I don't know why."

The overriding answer is that team president Steve Kerr -- at the behest of fickle owner Robert Sarver -- decided to roll the dice and acquire O'Neal before last February's trade deadline, then attempted to force a different style of play on D'Antoni, who fled to New York in the offseason.

"This is a gamble well worth taking," Kerr said of the Shaq trade at the time.

But hiring the defensive-minded Porter has rendered the Suns unrecognizable from the up-tempo, intimidating force that averaged 58 wins the past four seasons while losing twice in the conference finals, once in the semifinals and once in the first round. The disappointment and bewilderment is apparent in the Suns locker room and will only continue to fester if they don't find some answers on a grueling, six-game trip winding down in Charlotte, Atlanta and Washington.

"I'm not sure we have the confidence that we used to have, knowing that teams are afraid of us," Stoudemire said. "I don't think that confidence is there anymore."

The re-evaluation under way in Phoenix, according to sources, could very well point to a change in strategy with regard to Stoudemire, who has an early-termination option after the 2009-10 season and, if he doesn't exercise it, would be an unrestricted free agent seeking a max deal in 2011. Trading him now is problematic; he'd either take his new team out of the running for a second max free agent in 2010 if he doesn't opt out, or present the unsavory option of leaving as a free agent after only one year.

It's not impossible, though. Based on his feelings for D'Antoni, it's clear Stoudemire would accept a trade to New York and provide reasonable assurances that he'd re-sign there. But just as the Suns have grown tired of Stoudemire's lack of defense and frequent complaints about playing style, D'Antoni might be especially wary having coached him for five years.

Though he certainly possesses the size and athleticism to defend, Stoudemire long has struggled to make an impact on that end of the floor. Under D'Antoni, for whom Stoudemire produced 21 30-point games last season, those deficiencies were masked. With Shaq clogging the middle this season, Stoudemire has managed only three 30-point games and is getting fewer close-in baskets; 62.5 percent of his field goals have been at the rim compared with 70 percent last season, according to the Arizona Republic.

More to the point, Stoudemire's inability or unwillingness to meet Porter's defensive demands are no longer so easily disguised. Stunningly, he has averaged 5.7 rebounds in the last 11 games. Phoenix is one of 12 teams allowing more than 100 points per game, and of those, only Denver has a clear path to the playoffs.

"We've got to defend," O'Neal said, leaving little to the imagination in what seemed to be an indictment of Stoudemire's defensive play. "We've got to be there when the rotations call for us to be there. ... You've just got to be there and you've got to want to play defense."

The Suns grew tired of Shawn Marion for different reasons and shipped him to Miami in the Shaq deal. Marion, with a $17.2 million expiring contract, is on the verge of being traded again after failing to make the kind of impact he so often felt he was denied in Phoenix, given the assortment of talent he supported.

Could Stoudemire be next? The next four weeks before the Feb. 19 trade deadline will be crucial -- for the Suns and for Stoudemire. The Suns can't change the direction they're going. If Stoudemire doesn't want to go with them, it could be time for another kind of change.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Why exactly do people refer to Porter as defensive minded?

Darthkiller
01-24-2009, 10:54 AM

dude, the starters (not named shaq ) arent buying into his system, that's the problem. they are unhappy with defense, they still wanan play 7 sec or less. Tthat's why the suns need to get rid of amare for a bunch of less ego roll players asap or maybe get dirk who had no ego.

BlackSwordsMan
01-24-2009, 10:54 AM
but amare is a starter in the all star

Bartleby
01-24-2009, 11:10 AM
An Amare/Dirk trade with a couple of other players thrown in (Howard, Barnes, Dampier, Barbosa etc.) would be interesting. Both teams need to do something.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 11:18 AM
dude, the starters (not named shaq ) arent buying into his system, that's the problem. they are unhappy with defense, they still wanan play 7 sec or less. Tthat's why the suns need to get rid of amare for a bunch of less ego roll players asap or maybe get dirk who had no ego.

I agree there but that doesn't make Porter a good defensive coach. Would they be better if everyone cared about D as much as Grant Hill and Shaq? Yes, but they'd still be mediocre defensively.

There are two opinions being held among Suns fans right now. One side thinks it's all Kerr and Sarver's fault for changing the team and scrapping SSOL. The other side blames Amare and Nash for making it impossible for this team to play consistent D and fucking up the chemistry by not giving D a chance.

One side isn't completely right and one side isn't completely wrong, the players/coaches/front office/ownership is collectively responsible for this clusterfuck and they all did things to feed it.

layupdrill
01-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Not gonna happen.

m33p0
01-24-2009, 01:22 PM
i put the blame on nash since he is the leader of that team, like or not. instead of sucking up and try to make things work, he mopes around feeding the other mopers on that team. he is especially empowering amare to do/say whatever he want.

DPG21920
01-24-2009, 01:25 PM
What about this trade?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3006~3437~831~2419~2166~1727&teams=21~21~21~21~5~5&te=&cash=

m33p0
01-24-2009, 01:27 PM
What about this trade?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=3006~3437~831~2419~2166~1727&teams=21~21~21~21~5~5&te=&cash=
they play defense up in cleveland.

IronMexican
01-24-2009, 01:27 PM
That would put Cle over the top.

DPG21920
01-24-2009, 01:39 PM
I think that is a good trade for both teams. Cavs get another athletic big to run and he will like playing with lebron. Barbosa is a good fit and can do some of the things that Gibson does.

Suns get a guard who is slightly better than Barbosa imo, they get a young, upside big and a big who hustles and is a team player. They get another shooter to space the floor and almost get all of Amares contract off the books with the expiring.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't want that goofy fuck that flails around like he's playing soccer and has Robin Lopez hair. At this point I would want them to get rid of Amare just for the hell of it.

If Amare goes to Cleveland, have fun watching that team implode everyone!!!!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Cavs get another athletic big to run and he will like playing with lebron.

Yeah he'll love playing 2nd fiddle, he's made that perfectly clear by declaring he's THA MAN.

Bartleby
01-24-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't want that goofy fuck that flails around like he's playing soccer and has Robin Lopez hair.

It would be worth it just to see those two nimrods playing next to each other.

Findog
01-24-2009, 01:59 PM
An Amare/Dirk trade with a couple of other players thrown in (Howard, Barnes, Dampier, Barbosa etc.) would be interesting. Both teams need to do something.

No thanks. Dirk is a much better player than Amare

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Dirk and Amare aren't even on the same tier. Granted I'm not a big fan of Dirk's one on one game, at least he has a one on one game. One player can create his own shot, the other can't. Not even comparable.

Bob Lanier
01-24-2009, 02:14 PM
No thanks. Dirk is a much better player than Amare
But perhaps not in the Jason Kidd era.

The great Jason Kidd could make Àmäré into the next Kenyon Martin. That's fugazy shit there, man.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 02:18 PM
It would be worth it just to see those two nimrods playing next to each other.

Not if your a fan of the team with those two nimrods :bang

Findog
01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
But perhaps not in the Jason Kidd era.

The great Jason Kidd could make Àmäré into the next Kenyon Martin. That's fugazy shit there, man.

Dirk is as good as he's ever been. Dirk is a much better player than Amare. It doesnt really get any simpler than that.

Texas_Ranger
01-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Trade him, so Bowen can start at the All star game!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Dirk is as good as he's ever been. Dirk is a much better player than Amare. It doesnt really get any simpler than that.

It's really a lot more complicated than that.

Every year there is a legit reason why Amare doesn't average 35 points 20 rebounds and 12 blocks. The NBA is out to get Amare because he is so good and it would be unfair for the rest of the league if Amare didn't get jobbed as much as he says he does. If Amare was the only player on the roster and they didn't have any coaches that don't let him shoot every shot because they are jealous of his awesomeness the Suns would go 82-0 in the regular season and 16-0 in the playoffs.

Clearly this has been shown since he is THA MAN!!!!

endrity
01-24-2009, 02:49 PM
I am actually surprised by the steep regression Amare has gone through this season. Last year, he seemed to be the player to profit the most from the Shaq trade. He was finally liberated from having to defend the pain all the time, and he was getting monster after monster game. Coming into the season I really did think that Amare was finally going to have a chance to put his name on the elite level of players in the league, All-NBA, MVP candidate type. Instead he has taken not one, but several steps backward. What happened??? Is it just because of Porter? And what exactly is bothering him with Porter, does he not want to play any defense at all or what?

jack sommerset
01-24-2009, 02:51 PM
If they trade him it will not be to a team in the West. Suns were my pick for 3-4 years. They were very good but the run is over. Owner needs to shit can Kerr,get rid of Nash (that guy has disapeared) Shaq soon will be gone (stupid,stupid trade) that will free up some cash,try to get draft picks for Amare and start from scratch. Phoenix is a pretty good franchise.

Mal
01-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Suns sucks, Suns won`t make play-offs. Amare sucks. Nash is old and sucks. Porter sucks. Shaq doesn`t suck but he is too old, to led this to playoff.

Nash airball is priceless :D

Findog
01-24-2009, 02:57 PM
The Suns have $41 million on the books for 2010, so they have an opportunity to retool soon.

sprrs
01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
And to think they could have had Garnett last year.

Mal
01-24-2009, 03:00 PM
My propostion
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=91~1727&teams=21~20&te=&cash=

76ers play fast, they need running PF, Brand is too static for them.

Suns having strong Shaq and Brand in the paint would be very strong. If I were Kerr, I would make it.

PM5K
01-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Bottom line is that when the Spurs hand you your ass over and over again you have no choice but to get rid of SSOL, those players didn't make it work so I can't see how they can sit there and complain, your "free" style of basketball doesn't work, Defense wins Championships and they couldn't prove otherwise.

Sure it works ok in the regular season, but once the Playoffs arrive it's a different story.

cobbler
01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Im just hoping the Suns pull it together enough to get the 8th seed. It would be do fitting to send them to their next 10 years of mediocrity.

ehz33satx
01-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Suns sucks, Suns won`t make play-offs. Amare sucks. Nash is old and sucks. Porter sucks. Shaq doesn`t suck but he is too old, to led this to playoff.

Nash airball is priceless :D

It's always sucked to be a Suns fan. Nowadays, it sucks a whole lot more. :downspin:

Go Spurs Go!!!

What is it, like 10 or 12 years that the Spurs have been an upper echelon team? Seems like they are always at or near the top of the NBA and always within reach of the championship trophy. All the naysayers get pushed aside as the season goes along. Hate all you want, but the Spurs are consumate winners.

Go Spurs Go!!!

Findog
01-24-2009, 03:18 PM
It's always sucked to be a Suns fan. Nowadays, it sucks a whole lot more. :downspin:

Go Spurs Go!!!

What is it, like 10 or 12 years that the Spurs have been an upper echelon team? Seems like they are always at or near the top of the NBA and always within reach of the championship trophy. All the naysayers get pushed aside as the season goes along. Hate all you want, but the Spurs are consumate winners.

Go Spurs Go!!!

FOUR RINGS, FAGGOT!

Bob Lanier
01-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Suns having strong Shaq and Brand in the paint would be very strong.
Since when does Brand play in the paint? He's more of a jumpshooter than Àmäré is.

Bartleby
01-24-2009, 03:30 PM
The Suns have $41 million on the books for 2010, so they have an opportunity to retool soon.

True, and they'll probably have to do much/most of it through free agency or hope to find some diamonds in the rough in the D-League. They have screwed up their drafts so much over the last few years that they have almost no up and coming talent on their roster.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Im just hoping the Suns pull it together enough to get the 8th seed. It would be do fitting to send them to their next 10 years of mediocrity.

Gotta love LA fans speaking about the Lakers in first person. What exactly will you be doing to send them to mediocrity since you seem to be looking forward to taking part in it so much?

Kobe™
01-24-2009, 04:02 PM
get the Bosh.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 04:05 PM
get the Bosh.

Not gonna happen. Amare has less value than everyone thinks. Kevin McHale chose Al Jefferson over him which proved to be smart. Every time Amare makes some dumb statement about being THA MAN, the back of his jersey gets closer to saying Owens.

pauls931
01-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Bottom line is that when the Spurs hand you your ass over and over again you have no choice but to get rid of SSOL, those players didn't make it work so I can't see how they can sit there and complain, your "free" style of basketball doesn't work, Defense wins Championships and they couldn't prove otherwise.

Sure it works ok in the regular season, but once the Playoffs arrive it's a different story.

No, staying on the bench wins championships, or at least one. :D

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Well this is what we get since people turned Amare into Sarver's cash cow by buying a jersey and then another one once he changed his number.

Same thing is happening with the Cowboys and T.O. The owner is more concerned with seeing T.O. succeed than watching the team go all the way so he gets rid of great assistants like Todd Haley and got rid of a great coach because the coach didn't use T.O. enough for a lackluster coach who won't mind letting T.O. run the locker room.

When a player says he should get the ball every time and is clearly annoying the other players and coach, the owner shouldn't side with the player like Jones and Sarver have.

Lp26
01-24-2009, 05:05 PM
This is what i was hoping for.

Demand a trade Amare!

AI plus 1 for Amare. Do it PHX. Cap space galore.

Lp26
01-24-2009, 05:08 PM

I don't know, but i could tell you he was fairly useless in DET. I breathed a huge sigh of relief he never got the job.

Granted, Curry isn't 10x better, but alot of his problems are a product of this stupid trade and the imbalance it's created in our roster.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 05:18 PM
I don't know, but i could tell you he was fairly useless in DET. I breathed a huge sigh of relief he never got the job.

Granted, Curry isn't 10x better, but alot of his problems are a product of this stupid trade and the imbalance it's created in our roster.

I might be wrong but I remember them being 4-0 before the trade. Can't blame Curry for their problems this year I agree.

anakha
01-24-2009, 05:23 PM
My propostion
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=91~1727&teams=21~20&te=&cash=

76ers play fast, they need running PF, Brand is too static for them.

Suns having strong Shaq and Brand in the paint would be very strong. If I were Kerr, I would make it.

That actually makes sense, need-wise, for both teams.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 05:29 PM
I'd do Amare 4 brand in a instant. I know someone is gonna say that screws their chances at a top tier free agent in 2010 but who the hell would chose to come play for Kerr and whomever is coach at the time?

galvatron3000
01-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Trade Amare to the Pistons for Sheed and Prince and that'll fix the Suns problems

Bob Lanier
01-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Trade Amare to the Pistons for Sheed and Prince and that'll fix the Suns problems
Trading Amare to the Nuggets for Carmelo and Nene might too.

pauls931
01-24-2009, 06:23 PM

Throw in Kerr and you have a deal, we'll even let you keep prince.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Amare & Kerr for Sheed and exclusive negotiating rights with Flip Saunders works for me.

pauls931
01-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Amare & Kerr for Sheed and exclusive negotiating rights with Flip Saunders works for me.

finally something we can agree on!

Rogue
01-24-2009, 06:42 PM
the suns are saving for the playoffs and amare is just their corner stone that is always the last one to be traded. in the past years the suns played slashing games that helped them gain much support from fans but didn't brought them a win over spurs, now they play more pramatically and effectively since they landed shaq. suns are more balanced than they had ever been with plenty of experienced veterans, and jason richardson also adds more athletism than what they lost in trading marion. Diaw was talented yet crappy on suns and bell is stained due to age, so trading them for a scoring machine is a pretty smart decision. Warriors shouldn't have traded jason on draft of 07, they could otherwise have broken into the playoffs last season. in a word jason>bdavis.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 06:48 PM
the suns are saving for the playoffs and amare is just their corner stone that is always the last one to be traded.

Hi Mr. Sarver. Love what you've done with the team.

angelbelow
01-24-2009, 07:05 PM
i hate amare, but i'll take him :)

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 07:07 PM
i hate amare, but i'll take him :)

Then it must suck to know Popovich would get a coronary if he ever had to coach Amare.

angelbelow
01-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Then it must suck to know Popovich would get a coronary if he ever had to coach Amare.

i hate it when people underestimate pop.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 08:13 PM
i hate it when people underestimate pop.

I'm not under estimating him I'm complimenting him. He would go insane coaching a player who he knows will never play with any sort of intelligence.

galvatron3000
01-24-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm not under estimating him I'm complimenting him. He would go insane coaching a player who he knows will never play with any sort of intelligence.

Pop would make him come off the bench behind Booner if he didn't play D and rebound for us like he should and is capable of then later on he and R.C would trade him East for a quality small forward and a 1st round draft pick, YEAH!!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Pop would make him come off the bench behind Booner if he didn't play D and rebound for us like he should and is capable of then later on he and R.C would trade him East for a quality small forward and a 1st round draft pick, YEAH!!

point being the best coach in the NBA wouldn't be able to make Amare play hard on defense.

m33p0
01-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Pop would totally undress Amare until he becomes the second coming of Francisco Elson. And then Pop will use him as trade bait to get someone who has an idea what defense is.

baseline bum
01-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Those days appear to be over. The sun may be dipping below the horizon on Phoenix's four-year run of near-greatness.

:lmao

ducks
01-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Not gonna happen.

allstars do get traded you know

ducks
01-24-2009, 08:59 PM
That would put Cle over the top.

be intersting
james believes d wins titles
and with cavs amare will not be the man he wants to be
also plays bad d

ducks
01-24-2009, 08:59 PM

sj was the same way

baseline bum
01-24-2009, 09:30 PM
sj was the same way

You mean the same Stephen Jackson who shut Nowitzki down in the first round? I like Amare, but he's no Stephen Jackson on the defensive end.

ducks
01-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I want no amare
I told people they should have traded amare instead of marion or diaw
diaw was the real deal

mystargtr34
01-25-2009, 12:26 AM
What about this trade?

I dont see why Phoenix would want 2 limited role players a scrub (expiring contract and all) and an unproven rookie for a legitimate Star and quality player in Barbosa.

mystargtr34
01-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Pop would give up his left nut and anyone outside of Parker and Duncan for Amare.