PDA

View Full Version : Spurs At Lakers Previews

duncan228
01-24-2009, 02:29 PM
San Antonio (29-13) at Los Angeles (34-8) Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009012513&prov=ap)
Game info: 3:30 pm EST Sun Jan 25, 2009
TV: ABC
By Matt Becker

Andrew Bynum has had no trouble overpowering two of the worst teams in the NBA this week. He’ll now try to continue his recent dominance against one of the league’s best as the Pacific Division-leading Los Angeles Lakers host the Southwest Division-leading San Antonio Spurs on Sunday.

Los Angeles (34-8) and San Antonio (29-13) have combined for nine of the last 10 Western Conference titles and they are again in the mix for the top seed.

The Lakers, who have a five-game lead atop the West over the second-place Spurs, eliminated San Antonio in five games from last season’s conference finals, and now boast a threat they didn’t even have for that series.

Bynum missed the second half of last season and the playoffs with a left knee injury, but has been a force in the paint lately.

After finishing with a career-high 42 points and 15 rebounds in a 108-97 win over the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday, Bynum had 23 points and 14 boards in Thursday’s 117-97 victory over Washington - the Lakers’ third straight win.

“I’m happy for him. If Andrew can continue to have that type of presence in the middle - no matter who the other team is - we’re going to be a much better team,” Lakers point guard Derek Fisher said. “He seems to just be getting more comfortable on the court, physically.”

Bynum is 25-of-36 from the floor in his last two games, and played just 27 minutes against the Wizards as coach Phil Jackson gave his starters extra rest in the easy win.

“We went through a stretch where teams felt like they could double off Pau (Gasol), but we made them pay,” Kobe Bryant said. “Now they’re trying to do the same thing with Andrew, so we’re making them pay.”

Bynum had 18 points and only three rebounds in the Lakers’ 112-111 road loss to the Spurs on Jan. 14, their first meeting since last season’s playoffs. That is the only game in Bynum’s career Los Angeles has lost when its 7-foot center has scored at least 18 points. The Lakers are 18-1 in such games.

In last week’s meeting, Bryant hit a 3-pointer with 12 seconds left to give the Lakers a two-point lead, but Roger Mason completed a three-point play two seconds later to give San Antonio the lead for good.

Bryant, selected to start in the All-Star game for the 11th consecutive season on Thursday, finished with 29 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds in the loss to the Spurs. He had 11 points, five assists and four rebounds in 28 minutes on Thursday after averaging 23.8 points, 11.3 assists and 9.0 boards in his previous four games, with two triple-doubles.

San Antonio’s Tim Duncan, named to his 10th consecutive All-Star team, had 30 points and 15 rebounds in Friday’s 94-91 win over New Jersey.

Duncan, averaging 28.5 points on 63.9 percent shooting in his last two games, had 20 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists in the win over the Lakers.

The Spurs have won four straight games and now embark on a difficult three-game road trip that also takes them to Utah and Phoenix.

“This is going to be a tough schedule,” said Tony Parker, who had 20 points in the win over Los Angeles last week. “You don’t want to get in that position where you lose the game before the road trip. Now we can focus and have a big game in L.A.”

San Antonio, which has won five of its last six road games, has lost its last five games at Staples Center against the Lakers, including playoffs.

Notes

Spurs:

One day after being named to his 10th All-Star Game, PF Tim Duncan posted 30 points and 15 rebounds to help the Spurs trounce the New Jersey Nets, 94-91, on Friday. Duncan has recorded his seventh straight double-double. ... The Spurs have won 12 straight against the Nets. ... SF Bruce Bowen finished third among Western Conference forwards with 1.39 million votes in the All-Star Game balloting.

Lakers:

With his five assists, G Kobe Bryant snapped a streak of four straight games with at least 10 assists. He had recorded 45 assists in those contests, the best four-game stretch of his career. ... The second of back-to-back games have been kind to the Lakers so far. They are 6-4 in the first and now 8-2 in the second of games on consecutive days. ... With the lead well in hand, all 12 players who suited up saw at least five minutes for Los Angeles. ... The Lakers will attempt to atone for a one-point loss to the San Antonio Spurs on December 14. They host the Spurs on Sunday in their first 12:30 PST start of the season.

Team Stat Leaders

Tim Duncan SA 20.6
Kobe Bryant LAL 26.4

Rebounds

Tim Duncan SA 10.4
Pau Gasol LAL 9.1

Assists

Tony Parker SA 6.6
Kobe Bryant LAL 5.2

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

San Antonio 29-13 1st Southwest / 2nd West 96.9 93.6 Road 12-6 Won 4 8-2

Los Angeles 34-8 1st Pacific / 1st West 107.8 99.1 Home 22-3 Won 3 7-3

xtremesteven33
01-24-2009, 02:40 PM
i get a bad feeling about this game.....spurs lose by 15+ points

Strike
01-24-2009, 02:45 PM
It's gonna be a tough game, that's for sure. But I think it will be close. Within 5 points. I can't predict who will win when it comes to these two teams but I'm obviously hoping for a Spurs win.

Banzai
01-24-2009, 02:52 PM
As a Laker fan I have much respect for the Spurs...I won't count them out..but I am hoping the Lakers win of course. Good luck tomorrow!

duncan228
01-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Two things that usually don't help the Spurs: An early game on national TV. :lol

The Lakers are playing well, and they want this one after the one point loss last week. It's going to be a great atmosphere, the Spurs need to play smart and hang close to pull out the win.

mfanatic
01-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Lakers by 17

Allanon
01-24-2009, 03:10 PM
As a Laker fan I have much respect for the Spurs.

Fuck the Spurs...it's on tomorrow biznitches.

Showtime24 LAKERS
01-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Can't wait for tomorrow's game, it's going to be a good one!! :toast

DrHouse
01-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Should be another good game.

If the the Spurs have a good shooting night they can keep it close, otherwise double digit win for LAL.

td4mvp21
01-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't think the Spurs are playing well enough to get a win at Staples Center. Hope I'm wrong though.

BlackBellamy
01-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Should be another good game.

If the the Spurs have a good shooting night they can keep it close, otherwise double digit win for LAL.
Isn't that pretty interchangeable and overly simplistic? If X team scores the ball they keep it close, if they don't shoot well consistently then it's a big win for Y team.
...I do, however, agree that it always has the makings of a good game when the Spurs v. Lakeshow are involved.

TwoHandJam
01-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Lakers should probably win on their home court but I don't think it'll be a blowout. I'll be satisfied if the almost-fully-healed Manu makes a complete mockery out of Vujacic the Manu-on-one-wheel-from-last-year-stopper.

It still amazes me how there are legions of Laker fans that actually believe that Sasha can shut him down. Maybe they missed the fact that he needed offseason surgery or that he was even effectively guarded by Stojakovic in the series with the Hornets he was so hobbled.

To think that an all-star who shredded defenses such as the likes of the 2005 Pistons and Team USA for a gold medal while practicing against the likes of Bowen daily could be shut down by Sasha Vujacic is just absurd. But hey, no one ever accused Laker fans of being smart.

DrHouse
01-24-2009, 04:07 PM
What Laker fan ever said Sasha could guard a healthy Manu? More revisionisty history.

Spur fan comes up with the most ridiculous shit to fuel their Laker hatred.

WalterBenitez
01-24-2009, 04:09 PM
We need to win this one, no matter how much cost :ihit

timvp
01-24-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't have a very good feeling about this game. The Spurs typically suck in afternoon games and the Lakers are very good at home. The Spurs also seem to be in a transition phase where they are mostly focused on rediscovering their defense. That doesn't bode well against a team that you must be clicking on all offensive cylinders against.

Hopefully my feeling is wrong . . .

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-24-2009, 04:34 PM
The Spurs typically suck in afternoon games

That's why Suns vs. Spurs games are always funny in the afternoon because the Suns suck equally as much in early games. It's always a whichever team makes the last mistake losses contest. Usually each team has around two chances to take control of the game at some point and countless opportunities to make a go ahead basket late in the game.

01-24-2009, 05:02 PM
good test for the spurs' defense. keep the lakers under 95 points and limit their interior production. i can accept a bad shooting night for the spurs but if the lakers go 100+, spurs are not ready to challenge the lakers. defense always wins in the end.

MarHill
01-24-2009, 05:11 PM
What Laker fan ever said Sasha could guard a healthy Manu? More revisionisty history.

DrHouse,

There were some Lakers fans on the blogs saying that Sasha was the so-called "Manu-stopper!" after that series.

There is some justification from Spurs fans about that and especially when he shot that three-pointer at the end of game 5 when the game was decided!

:flag:

Manufan909
01-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Hope Manu goes nuts like he did on the Pacers. And hopefully PJ has Bonner checked from the tip, that's one big Bonner will have lured out of the paint. Didn't Pau or Bynum have to come out on him in the 2nd half of the last game?

MarHill
01-24-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't have a very good feeling about this game. The Spurs typically suck in afternoon games and the Lakers are very good at home. The Spurs also seem to be in a transition phase where they are mostly focused on rediscovering their defense. That doesn't bode well against a team that you must be clicking on all offensive cylinders against.

Hopefully my feeling is wrong . . .

Timvp,

I understand that feeling and the Lakers will be fired up for this one.

I believe the first quarter will be the key. Sometimes..games can be won in the first quarter instead of the fourth quarter.

I hope the Spurs get off to a good start and that KT plays more minutes in this game. They are going to need his toughness to help TD against Bynum and Gasol in the paint.

duncan228
01-24-2009, 05:13 PM
San Antonio Spurs at L.A Lakers (http://www.bangthebook.com/blog/2009/01/24/san-antonio-spurs-at-la-lakers/)
NBA Betting Preview

San Antonio Spurs (29-13) at L.A Lakers (34-8)

Betus.com betting line - Lakers -6.5, O/U 203.5

Western Conference powerhouses collide in a big game on Sunday inside the Staples Center in Los Angeles, C.A. The L.A Lakers have the best record in the Western Conference at a mark of 34-8 and have appeared to be the best team in the conference all year. However, the Spurs have rallied from a slow start and they are ready to challenge for Western supremacy. San Antonio already captured a victory over the Lakers a few short weeks ago in an exciting game that went right down to the wire. The Spurs Manu Ginobili knocked down 27 in the contest that lead to San Antonio edged out the Lakers at home 112-111.

Los Angeles leads the NBA as the most potent scoring team in the league averaging 108 points per game. Kobe Bryant ranks 3rd in the NBA in scoring and also had a big game in the last meeting. Bryant’s 29 points, 10 assist, and 7 rebounds were not quite enough last time around. The Lakers also shot a very strong 56% in that meeting, but the Spurs simply edged them out in the end. Los Angeles will look to extract a bit of revenge this time around at home where they always play well. The Lakers are 22-3 inside the Staples Center and also an equal 22-3 against the Western Conference. Last year’s Western Conference match-up heats up again with the possibility of both teams meeting yet again on down the road.

San Antonio got off to a sluggish start, but since has rebounded nicely. San Antonio has knocked off 4 straight wins and also 13 of their past 16 games. Tim Duncan is playing well with a double-double in 7 straight games. Duncan has produced 20.4 points this season along with 10.2 boards. Star guard Tony Parker has produced equal results with 20.4 points exactly while adding 7 assist per game. San Antonio has definitely come on strong in the past month of basketball and they will try to prove they belong among the best in the NBA. However, the task will not come easy considering a win at Los Angeles is hard to come by, but if they do pull off the victory it would make a huge statement for dethroning thee Lakers public perception as the best in the west.

What to watch for…
The Lakers shot 56% and the Spurs shot 57% from the floor in the last meeting in rather of a high scoring game. Los Angeles controlled the tempo despite the Spurs capturing the win. Do not be surprised if this game follows the Spurs tempo a bit more and the scoring is a bit lower. Tim Duncan has 27 double-doubles on the year and don’t be surprised if number 28 comes Sunday. Respectively the Spurs have done better when Duncan has performed well as compared to Tony Parker.

Pick - Lakers too tough at home. Take L.A -6.5

anakha
01-24-2009, 05:17 PM

lol i love spurs fans getting riled up because of a damn three. sasha owned ur 6th man. and dont give me that bullshit of ginobli not being 100. he even said himself that he feels fine. if sasha is a bitch, then what does that make ginobli? fuck the spurs and that entire franchise. lakers for life. 4-1. we own the spurs in basically every aspect of life.

So when Manu sucks he's 'injured' but when he drops 30 in game two it's just a fluke.

Sasha punked Manu plain and simple. Manu is good but he completely overrated and streaky as hell. You can't rely on him to show up every game. He is what he is.

Manu simply got shut down. His little ankle boo-boo was a convenient excuse and security blanket for Spurs fan. I don't care if Manu was 110%, we beat that ass 4-1 or 4-2. Nothing's changed. The Spurs don't have what's required to repeat success. They're nothing more than a guaranteed flame-out the 2nd time around. The Machine locked Manu up all series and then stuck a 3 in his face for good measure to end game 5. Complete ownage.

Try again.

DrHouse
01-24-2009, 05:20 PM
However, the task will not come easy considering a win at Los Angeles is hard to come by, but if they do pull off the victory it would make a huge statement for dethroning thee Lakers public perception as the best in the west.

You don't make statements in January let alone the regular season. I highly doubt the Spurs need wins against the Lakers in the regular season for them to believe they can win in the playoffs.

People put way too much stock into these regular season matchups.

DrHouse
01-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Try again.

:lmao. You think any of those trolls actually believe that? They said that to rile you Spur fans up and it clearly worked.

lebomb
01-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Lakeshow will be pumped...........they will win by 15

anakha
01-24-2009, 05:26 PM
:lmao. You think any of those trolls actually believe that? They said that to rile you Spur fans up and it clearly worked.

:lmao at you suddenly dismissing the evidence as 'they're not real Laker fans'.

MarHill
01-24-2009, 05:26 PM
You don't make statements in January let alone the regular season. I highly doubt the Spurs need wins against the Lakers in the regular season for them to believe they can win in the playoffs.

People put way too much stock into these regular season matchups.

I will agree with you about that!!

The regular season is a grind and the games are like groundhog day!!

I know the players do get up and want to play well against the better teams in the league....but to call them statement games is overblown. Especially for a team whose core has won three of the last 6 championships!! They have played in a lot of big playoff games and tough regular season games on the road.

01-24-2009, 05:31 PM
key for spurs is to limit the lakers' production. they had a very good shooting night last game going 56% 3pt FG. bynum + gasol had 39 pts on 65% shooting. bryant had 29 pts over 57%. their bench also produced well, going 55% for 25 pts. all this is way to high. spurs can't play to outscore the lakers. they need to play defense and make lakers work for it. i'm hoping duncan will play good defense this time around because he let a few people wide open the last time. mistakes he should not be making.

LakeShow
01-24-2009, 05:35 PM
This game won't be close. The Lakers have had time to prepare for the Spurs and will want to avenge their last game. They'll come out tomorrow pumped and ready to make a statement.

Just another regular season game but I believe the Lakers will want it more.

Lakers 120
Spurs 93

IronMexican
01-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Just another game the Lakers will wim. I don't know who the Spurs think they are, but they aren't. Nobody is expecting the Spurs to do anything this season, and they wont.

NFGIII
01-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Just another game the Lakers will wim. I don't know who the Spurs think they are, but they aren't. Nobody is expecting the Spurs to do anything this season, and they wont.

That is a ridiculous statement to say the least. So what league have you been watching for the last several years?

Though I believe that the Lakers will probably win the game expect to see the Spurs come playoff time.

Spurs Brazil
01-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Ftl

TwoHandJam
01-24-2009, 07:06 PM

One would like to think so but unfortunately the glitz of glamor of LA attracts a lot of bandwagon fans. You only need to watch a game at Staples and see half the fans on their cell phones either pointing fingers and asking questions or ignoring the game completely. Half of them probably don't know the starting 5 much less a bench player like Vujacic. Rest assured they are indeed that stupid unfortunately. I don't think you are one of those fans.

Alas, all teams have their share of colossally ignorant fans that true fans would like to sweep under the rug but the Lakers just happen to have a healthy surplus due to their mass market appeal.

"What we have here is failure....to communicate. Some people you just can't reach."

cool hand
01-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Fakers, you need 2 7footers to deal with TD......you suck. and that trade was bunk for gasol........maybe when the league hands you a player like gasol, you should at least try to win the finals.

cool hand
01-24-2009, 07:38 PM
This game won't be close. The Lakers have had time to prepare for the Spurs and will want to avenge their last game. They'll come out tomorrow pumped and ready to make a statement.

Just another regular season game but I believe the Lakers will want it more.

Lakers 120
Spurs 93

Lakers get all the calls and you win.

SpurYank
01-24-2009, 07:53 PM
The Lakers worry about the Spurs, no matter what all of you have to say. If the shots are falling tomorrow, the Spurs will win. There are more "shooters" on the Spurs than on the Lakers. I would never bet against a team that has scorers like the Spurs have.

DrHouse
01-24-2009, 08:03 PM
I just want to hear one Spur fan be man enough to say the Lakers were a better team last year. None of this, "IF MANU WASN'T HURT" or "THE REFS CHEATED US!" excuses. Just someone man up and admit the better team won that series.

alchemist
01-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Lakers were the better team last year*

BlackBellamy
01-24-2009, 08:19 PM
^nice logic (Thick sarcasm). By the by, are you Derrick Zoolander?
"You think that you're too cool for school, but I have a newsflash for you Walter Cronkite... you aren't".

td4mvp21
01-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I just want to hear one Spur fan be man enough to say the Lakers were a better team last year. None of this, "IF MANU WASN'T HURT" or "THE REFS CHEATED US!" excuses. Just someone man up and admit the better team won that series.

I agree that people need to quit with the excuses, but seriously shut the fuck up already. The Laker fanbase is one of the absolute WORST when it comes to admitting defeat-it's always the refs' fault, Stern's fault, or injuries. So don't give us this bullshit about manning up when your fanbase doesn't ever fucking do it.

m33p0
01-24-2009, 08:32 PM
mason with a dagger 3 to win the game. book it.

duncan228
01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Lakers' Sasha Vujacic has full backing again (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-spw-lakers-sasha-vujacic25-2009jan25,0,1777339.story)
The reserve guard has returned to full strength after missing two games because of back spasms. If a little good-natured name calling comes with the territory, he can take it.
By Broderick Turner

They called him names -- with affection, of course.

They questioned his toughness -- with affection, of course.

Sasha Vujacic took it all in stride.

Back spasms took him out for two games, so Vujacic knew the name-calling was coming.

In many ways, he's used to it. He earned the nickname "The Machine," and has heard many times this season that the machine has been broken.

"They called me names, but I'm not going to put them out there," Vujacic said, smiling. "But it was very frustrating sitting at home and watching the game. Unfortunately I didn't get to play against San Antonio."

He missed back-to-back games Jan. 13-14 at Houston (a Lakers win) and San Antonio (a one-point loss).

When Derek Fisher tweaked his hamstring at San Antonio, not having Vujacic to play the backup point-guard role pushed the Lakers to the limit.

The team already was without Jordan Farmar (surgery on left knee) and was counting on Vujacic to handle the duties in the backcourt.

But during a Jan. 11 game against the Miami Heat, Vujacic's back stiffened, causing him pain.

"I couldn't move," Vujacic said. "The next day . . . I woke up and I couldn't get out of bed. I was struggling. Then I came [to the practice facility] and tried to get treatment. I knew then they were going to call me names."

Vujacic put his faith in the Lakers' training staff. He said his work with Alex McKechnie, the Lakers' athletic performance coordinator, has paid off. The back pain has subsided.

"I'm good, I'm feeling really good," Vujacic said. "Our training staff -- especially working with Alex -- has helped me keep it straight and I'm working on making it stronger."

Vujacic started slowly in his first game back. He played 13 minutes against the Orlando Magic on Jan. 16 but didn't score, missing all three of his field-goal attempts, two of which two were three-point shots.

On Monday he played 21 minutes against the Cleveland Cavaliers and was four for seven from the field, four for five from three-point range. He scored 14 points.

Against the Clippers on Wednesday, Vujacic played 23 minutes, but was just one for seven from the field, one for five from three-point range. He scored three points.

The next night he played 25 minutes against the Washington Wizards and was four for seven from the field, two for five on three-point shots. He had 13 points.

Slowly, Vujacic said, he is getting his rhythm back, something he hopes to keep when the Lakers play host to the Spurs on Sunday at Staples Center.

"As long as I get involved in the ballgame early and I kind of get the feel for the game, early in the game, I feel really good," Vujacic said. "I feel really comfortable."

duncan228
01-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Sunday's game: Lakers vs. Spurs preview box (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/strong-spurs-lakers-2290424-points-percentage)
By Janis Carr

Lakers (34-8) vs. Spurs (29-13)
• Date/time: Sunday, 12:30 p.m.
• Site: Staples Center
• TV/radio: KABC/7; KLAC/570, KWKW/1330

Lakers Spurs
107.8 Points scored 96.9
99.1 Points against 93.9
47.7 Field goal percentage 46.4
76.7 Free throw percentage 76.1

Outlook: The Spurs will be looking to make it two victories over the Lakers this season after winning on Roger Mason’s late 3-point play, 112-111. But the Spurs need to find a way to stop an energized Andrew Bynum, who has posted back-to-back double-doubles. The Lakers won the inside battle the last time, outscoring the Spurs, 56-34, in the paint and 11-2 in second-chance points. San Antonio ranks sixth in the league in limiting opponents to 93.9 points a game. Ian Mahinmi (ankle) is out for the Spurs. Jordan Farmar (knee) is out for the Lakers.

ManuTP9
01-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Spurs FTW, Lakers FTL

SenorSpur
01-24-2009, 09:45 PM

Fakers were te better team last year - they WON the series. That's all that matters. No excuses allowed. And you'll never hear Pop drum up any either. However, last year was last year. It will have NO bearing on what happens this year.

phyzik
01-24-2009, 09:45 PM

The Lakers WHERE better last year, but that doesnt change the fact that if Manu was healthy it wouldnt have been such a blowout, never mind the Fisher no call.

I already know what your going to say, you guys didnt have Bynum or Ariza, but thats a completely baseless complaint. Bynum or Ariza for the Lakers is not what Manu is for the Spurs. Take away Kobe and you have an arguement but Bynum and Ariza being out doesnt impact the game for the Lakers as much as Manu being inured to the point he porbably should have been out for the Spurs.

Lakers where better last year, they would have won if we had a 100% Manu or not.

This year the Spurs have a more-than-servicable suprise backup PG as well as Roger Mason Jr. who is proving to be arguable the best pickup of the offseason. Bonner is playing pretty good, much better than Horry last year IMHO.

This is a different Spurs team who is still learning their new identity. Same for the Lakers getting Bynum and Ariza back. Basing your arguements that the Lakers will dominate the Spurs on last years WCF's is an excercize in idiocy.

Rogue
01-24-2009, 10:04 PM
lakers lost to spurs at atnt several days ago so they won't allow themselves to lose again, they need to revenge on the spurs at home and It's expected to be a demolishing considering it's their home game at staples.

raspsa
01-24-2009, 10:25 PM
I love this series of tough games that the Spurs will be facing over the next several weeks. Pop should have a pretty good feel for his rotation by now and the players. For the most part, they are healthy or have recovered enough from injuries for this to not be a factor. The cohesiveness of the defense is the number one concern and the way to strengthen the defense is to test it against potent teams like the Lakers. Shooting droughts have become less of an issue as the Spurs now have more weapons, but they can still occur specially on the road. Should be a terrific game.

peskypesky
01-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Spurs by 1 in OT, thanks to last second shot by Mase.

DrHouse
01-24-2009, 10:41 PM
The Lakers WHERE better last year, but that doesnt change the fact that if Manu was healthy it wouldnt have been such a blowout, never mind the Fisher no call.

I already know what your going to say, you guys didnt have Bynum or Ariza, but thats a completely baseless complaint. Bynum or Ariza for the Lakers is not what Manu is for the Spurs. Take away Kobe and you have an arguement but Bynum and Ariza being out doesnt impact the game for the Lakers as much as Manu being inured to the point he porbably should have been out for the Spurs.

Lakers where better last year, they would have won if we had a 100% Manu or not.

This year the Spurs have a more-than-servicable suprise backup PG as well as Roger Mason Jr. who is proving to be arguable the best pickup of the offseason. Bonner is playing pretty good, much better than Horry last year IMHO.

This is a different Spurs team who is still learning their new identity. Same for the Lakers getting Bynum and Ariza back. Basing your arguements that the Lakers will dominate the Spurs on last years WCF's is an excercize in idiocy.

I'd say Ariza+Bynum = Manu in terms of overall impact. What Manu brings to the Spurs offense is what both Ariza+Bynum bring to the Laker defense. And like I said before at least Manu got to play every game, and he certainly was healthy enough to drop 30 in one of the games.

Making excuses makes you all look foolish. Just accept the loss and move on. Laker fans could throw out the same injury excuse to the Celtic fans but it doesn't change history. The Lakers lost and the Celtics won. History does not care who was injured.

TwoHandJam
01-24-2009, 10:56 PM

Very debatable.

Go take a look at the margins of victory in the games and tell me a 100% Manu couldn't have made a difference in the outcome. He was our leading scorer last year in a series where scoring droughts killed us.

Manu was hurt to the point that he was actually a liability on the court. Let's not forget that he was averaging 19/4/4 last year.

A loss is a loss is a loss but it doesn't mean that the Lakers would have been the better team at full strength. No one will ever know the answer to that. They were a better team given the circumstances last year.

iggypop123
01-24-2009, 10:57 PM
injuries arent a excuse for the spurs considering ariza and bynum were out. both teams were missing players so it cancels it as an excuse

pawe
01-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Fuck Kobe and fuck the Lakers!
Manu will kick the snot out of that girl vujabitch tomorrow.
Here's to a great game and no injuries for both squads. :toast

duncan228
01-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Sunday: Spurs (29-13) at Lakers (34-8) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Sunday_Spurs_29-13_at_Lakers_34-8.html)
Express-News

Time: 2:30 p.m.
TV: ABC
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - LAKERS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 2 Derek Fisher (6-1, 13th yr)
Fisher is having career year from 3-point range, making 43.9 percent.

SG - 8 Roger Mason Jr. (6-5, 5th yr) - 24 Kobe Bryant (6-6, 13th yr)
Bryant led all Western Conference players in voting for All-Star Game.

SF - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr) - 10 Vladimir Radmanovic (6-10, 8th yr)
Radmanovic came off bench Thursday vs. Wizards after missing shootaround.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 16 Pau Gasol (7-0, 8th yr)
Duncan was No. 2, behind Bryant, in overall fan voting for West All-Star starters.

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 5th yr) - 17 Andrew Bynum (7-0, 4th yr)
Bynum is coming off his top two rebounding games, 15 vs. Clippers, 14 vs. Wizards.

SPURS RESERVES

12 Bruce Bowen, F, (6-7, 13th yr)
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 7th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
7 Fabricio Oberto, C/F, 6-10, 4th yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
22 Austin Croshere, F, 6-10, 12th yr

LAKERS RESERVES

3 Trevor Ariza, F, 6-8, 5th yr
7 Lamar Odom, F, 6-10, 10th yr
28 D.J. Mbenga, C, 7-0, 5th yr
31 Chris Mihm, C, 7-0, 8th yr
21 Josh Powell, F, 6-9, 4th yr
9 Sun Yue, G, 6-9, 1st yr
18 Sasha Vujacic, G, 6-7, 5th yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Lakers: Phil Jackson

INJURIES

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi (left ankle sprain) is out.

Lakers: Jordan Farmar (left knee) is questionable.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Mahinmi, Malik Hairston, Jacque Vaughn

Lakers: Farmar

NOTABLE

Spurs haven’t won at the Staples Center since a 96-94 overtime victory on Jan. 7, 2007, a dry spell that includes three losses in last season’s Western Conference finals. ... Today’s game is second of three vs. Lakers this season. ... Jordan Farmar’s post-arthroscopic rehab is way ahead of schedule, but projected return is for Tuesday’s game against Bobcats.

- Mike Monroe

duncan228
01-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Farmar update (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakersfyi25-2009jan25,0,5487945.story)

Jordan Farmar took part in a light practice but will not play today, Jackson said.

The reserve guard has been out since Dec. 19 because of surgery for a torn knee cartilage. He is expected to return to game action at some point this week.

Trainwreck2100
01-25-2009, 01:21 AM
I really don't think the spurs will win tommorow.

Lakers999
01-25-2009, 01:28 AM
i hope the spurs lose by 30

tomtom
01-25-2009, 01:30 AM
preparing for heartbreak already... :( hope i'm pleasantly surprised though

Chieflion
01-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Those stupid arguments over last year's WCF need to stop as that series was already over. That has nothing to do with this season. Granted that the Lakers were better last playoffs. Go Spurs Go.

Rapper
01-25-2009, 01:54 AM
Beat LA

Lakers999
01-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Beat LA

Beat SA

phyzik
01-25-2009, 02:25 AM
I'd say Ariza+Bynum = Manu in terms of overall impact. What Manu brings to the Spurs offense is what both Ariza+Bynum bring to the Laker defense. And like I said before at least Manu got to play every game, and he certainly was healthy enough to drop 30 in one of the games.

Making excuses makes you all look foolish. Just accept the loss and move on. Laker fans could throw out the same injury excuse to the Celtic fans but it doesn't change history. The Lakers lost and the Celtics won. History does not care who was injured.

Ariza+Bynum is definately NOT = to Manu. thats a load of laker rose-colored-glasses bullshit. Having Manu on that court, as hobbled as he was, was a DETRIMENT to the Spurs. The problem was we didnt have anything else to go to, UNLIKE the Lakers who had people to cover the missing Bynum and Ariza.

Making Bynum and Ariza missing in that series equal to Manu running on 1 leg in that series makes YOU look foolish. I accept the Loss, just read my post again. You have never posted anything to give credit to the Spurs but you want all the credit in the world for your Lakers. Im Sorry, Lakers are not THAT good. Ohhh, they are good but to count out the Spurs is a bunch of crap on your part.

Again I say, and pay fucking attention, Manu playing like shit like that would be like having Kobe with the same injury where he had to have surgery. Ariza and Bynum are not a factor against the Spurs as much as Manu is a factor against the Lakers.

As far as Manu dropping 30 in one game, any analyst would say that was heroic considering the injury he had. He had to have SURGERY for christ sake!

DrHouse
01-25-2009, 03:01 AM
Ariza+Bynum is definately NOT = to Manu. thats a load of laker rose-colored-glasses bullshit. Having Manu on that court, as hobbled as he was, was a DETRIMENT to the Spurs. The problem was we didnt have anything else to go to, UNLIKE the Lakers who had people to cover the missing Bynum and Ariza.

Making Bynum and Ariza missing in that series equal to Manu running on 1 leg in that series makes YOU look foolish. I accept the Loss, just read my post again. You have never posted anything to give credit to the Spurs but you want all the credit in the world for your Lakers. Im Sorry, Lakers are not THAT good. Ohhh, they are good but to count out the Spurs is a bunch of crap on your part.

Again I say, and pay fucking attention, Manu playing like shit like that would be like having Kobe with the same injury where he had to have surgery. Ariza and Bynum are not a factor against the Spurs as much as Manu is a factor against the Lakers.

As far as Manu dropping 30 in one game, any analyst would say that was heroic considering the injury he had. He had to have SURGERY for christ sake!

:lmao

Who do the Lakers have that can come anywhere close to Bynum's presence defensively?

The Lakers got murdered on the glass throughout the playoffs, sometimes losing the rebounding battle by 10-20 rpg. Look at their rebounding stats right now, they are the best in the league. You don't think Bynum and Ariza have something to do with that?

Ariza gives the Lakers a quality perimeter defender not named Kobe Bryant that they simply did not have last season. Radman, Walton, and Sasha got torched by Pierce and Allen in the Finals. Kobe, at his age, cannot go all out on offense and defense. Having another perimeter defender enables him to rest on defense and save his energy for the 4th quarter. Bynum gives the Lakers a presence in the interior to thwart guards from penetrating into the lane. More importantly he allows Gasol to guard PF's and not have to bang against opposing team's centers. As he grows into his offensive game he gives the Lakers another interior scorer that will simply overwhelm teams that don't have great frontcourt depth.

Andrew Bynum
--------------
13 ppg
2 bpg
8 rpg
55% FG shooting

Trevor Ariza
------------
9 ppg
2 spg
5 rpg
47% FG shooting

Manu Ginobili
------------
14.7 ppg
1.5 spg
4 rpg
45% FG shooting

I hate bringing stats into an argument but you don't even come close to winning this argument statistically. Quite frankly you are being a homer and not looking at this objectively.

Man In Black
01-25-2009, 03:13 AM
Question...

Ariza gives the Lakers a quality perimeter defender
WHERE WAS HE WHEN GINOBILI TORCHED THE LACKERS FOR 27 LAST GAME?

phyzik
01-25-2009, 03:18 AM
:lmao

Who do the Lakers have that can come anywhere close to Bynum's presence defensively?

The Lakers got murdered on the glass throughout the playoffs, sometimes losing the rebounding battle by 10-20 rpg. Look at their rebounding stats right now, they are the best in the league. You don't think Bynum and Ariza have something to do with that?

Ariza gives the Lakers a quality perimeter defender not named Kobe Bryant that they simply did not have last season. Radman, Walton, and Sasha got torched by Pierce and Allen in the Finals. Kobe, at his age, cannot go all out on offense and defense. Having another perimeter defender enables him to rest on defense and save his energy for the 4th quarter. Bynum gives the Lakers a presence in the interior to thwart guards from penetrating into the lane. More importantly he allows Gasol to guard PF's and not have to bang against opposing team's centers. As he grows into his offensive game he gives the Lakers another interior scorer that will simply overwhelm teams that don't have great frontcourt depth.

Andrew Bynum
--------------
13 ppg
2 bpg
8 rpg
55% FG shooting

Trevor Ariza
------------
9 ppg
2 spg
5 rpg
47% FG shooting

Manu Ginobili
------------
14.7 ppg
1.5 spg
4 rpg
45% FG shooting

I hate bringing stats into an argument but you don't even come close to winning this argument statistically. Quite frankly you are being a homer and not looking at this objectively.

Yes, stats are retarded for an arguement in this situation, especially when you consider the fact that Manu is coming off of a surgery, what, 3 months prior at most when he came back?

But thats not the whole story and you know it. There are intangibles involved that NO stat can account for. Simply having a healthy Ginobilli on the court causes other teams to defend the Spurs completely differently. It opens things up even IF he is missing his shots. Bynum or Ariza DO NOT do that.

Bynum is a decent defender but your making the mistake of all the Laker homers from last year, he is not as good as those 3 months he played last year and there is no way he stops Duncan. Ariza is a servicable Forward but nothing to get excited about. No way EITHER of them have an impact against a TRUE contender like Manu would.

Its just like I said, you give no credit where credit is due. You just want everyone to suck the Lakers cock like you do and want nothing to do with any arguements. Fuck you. Like you asked Spurs fans, which I gave to you, quit being such a fucking homer and acknowledge there is a chance there may be a team that can take down the "mighty Lakers". Otherwise, shut the fuck up and go back to lakerground and jerk eachother off.

DrHouse
01-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Yes, stats are retarded for an arguement in this situation, especially when you consider the fact that Manu is coming off of a surgery, what, 3 months prior at most when he came back?

But thats not the whole story and you know it. There are intangibles involved that NO stat can account for. Simply having a healthy Ginobilli on the court causes other teams to defend the Spurs completely differently. It opens things up even IF he is missing his shots. Bynum or Ariza DO NOT do that.

Bynum is a decent defender but your making the mistake of all the Laker homers from last year, he is not as good as those 3 months he played last year and there is no way he stops Duncan. Ariza is a servicable Forward but nothing to get excited about. No way EITHER of them have an impact against a TRUE contender like Manu would.

Its just like I said, you give no credit where credit is due. You just want everyone to suck the Lakers cock like you do and want nothing to do with any arguements. Fuck you. Like you asked Spurs fans, which I gave to you, quit being such a fucking homer and acknowledge there is a chance there may be a team that can take down the "mighty Lakers". Otherwise, shut the fuck up and go back to lakerground and jerk eachother off.

So if the Spurs called up the Lakers right now and said they would trade Manu Ginobili for Andrew Bynum and Trevor Ariza the Lakers would do that trade? I'm not disrespecting Manu, but I simply refuse to accept your notion that he provides a greater impact than two players combined. He's just not that good.

Manu is a great 6th man, but he will never be considered a superstar in this league. The reason why is consistency. You never really know what you're going to get with the guy. Some nights it's lights out shooting and exceptional passing, other nights it's horrible shooting and careless turnovers.

You've already lost this argument because you had to resort to name calling. It's the true sign of a person who has nothing substantial upon which to debate with.

alamo50
01-25-2009, 05:46 AM
OK, I am ready.
10 hours till tip-off.

Let's kill the bastards!

GO SPURS GO!

shelshor
01-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Referee Assignments
Sun. Jan. 25
San Antonio @ L.A. Lakers: M. McCutchen, R. Mott, B. Spooner

DPG21920
01-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Regular season games do not matter, especially ones in December/Jan. Except for when the Lakers beat the Celtics. Then if the Celtics win the next one, it does not matter again because it is not the playoffs.

- Dr. House.

Lakers999
01-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Question...

WHERE WAS HE WHEN GINOBILI TORCHED THE LACKERS FOR 27 LAST GAME?

complaining to the refs about all the illegal screens during that game

Lakers999
01-25-2009, 01:05 PM
OK, I am ready.
10 hours till tip-off.

Let's kill the bastards!

GO SPURS GO!

:(

Lakers999
01-25-2009, 01:15 PM
We need to win this one, no matter how much cost :ihit

donaghy approach

BlackBellamy
01-25-2009, 01:20 PM
complaining to the refs about all the illegal screens during that game
So you guys have something in common, complaints.:rolleyes Maybe instead of bitching someone should have played through with some D or ran back on O, hmm?

so+abas+os
01-25-2009, 05:24 PM
lol i love spurs fans getting riled up because of a damn three. sasha owned ur 6th man. and dont give me that bullshit of ginobli not being 100. he even said himself that he feels fine. if sasha is a bitch, then what does that make ginobli? fuck the spurs and that entire franchise. lakers for life. 4-1. we own the spurs in basically every aspect of life.
Try again.

http://i25.tinypic.com/1sl0qw.gif

Done! :nutkick:

DrHouse
01-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Phyzik I don't expect you to show up in this thread again after that pathetic performance from Manu.

I wonder if you still believe that he brings more of an impact than both Bynum and Ariza combined after watching that game.

TwoHandJam
01-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Phyzik I don't expect you to show up in this thread again after that pathetic performance from Manu.

I wonder if you still believe that he brings more of an impact than both Bynum and Ariza combined after watching that game.

Oh yes. We always rate players based on 1 game seeing as it's usually enough to be statistically significant. :rolleyes

Why don't you take a look at Manu's bio on NBA.com and compare it to what the great Bynum and Ariza have accomplished. He averaged 19/4/4 last year and he's had more great playoff seasons than those two have probably even had seasons. I can't even believe I'm responding to this it's so ludicrous. I'm done with this thread.

DrHouse
01-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Oh yes. We always rate players based on 1 game seeing as it's usually enough to be statistically significant. :rolleyes

Why don't you take a look at Manu's bio on NBA.com and compare it to what the great Bynum and Ariza have accomplished. He averaged 19/4/4 last year and he's had more great playoff seasons than those two have probably even had seasons. I can't even believe I'm responding to this it's so ludicrous. I'm done with this thread.

This thread is not about what Manu has done in the past. It's about right now at this very moment.

I'm saying right now Andrew Bynum and Trevor Ariza collectively bring more of an impact to the game than Manu Ginobili does.