PDA

View Full Version : Where's the lib outrage? Obama endorses warrantless wiretaps

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-24-2009, 04:07 PM
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/01/obama-sides-wit.html

The Obama administration fell in line with the Bush administration Thursday when it urged a federal judge to set aside a ruling in a closely watched spy case weighing whether a U.S. president may bypass Congress and establish a program of eavesdropping on Americans without warrants.

In a filing in San Francisco federal court, President Barack Obama adopted the same position as his predecessor. With just hours left in office, President George W. Bush late Monday asked U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker to stay enforcement of an important Jan. 5 ruling admitting key evidence into the case.

Thursday's filing by the Obama administration marked the first time it officially lodged a court document in the lawsuit asking the courts to rule on the constitutionality of the Bush administration's warrantless-eavesdropping program. The former president approved the wiretaps in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

"The Government's position remains that this case should be stayed," the Obama administration wrote (.pdf) in a filing that for the first time made clear the new president was on board with the Bush administration's reasoning in this case.

Come on your hypocritical fucks (boutons, etc.). You guys reemed Bush for this, called him Hitler, etc. What do you have to say for your Messiah?

Winehole23
01-24-2009, 04:15 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115140

Wild Cobra
01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Pale Black man speaks with Forked tongue!

Duff McCartney
01-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Here you go I supported Obama AHF...

I fucking hate this side of the Obama administration. But what are you gonna do? There's alot of things I can't stand about Obamas policies and this is one of them. Just like I can't stand his support of Israel and AIPAC.

He's just a man but he's the president and also a politician. I don't think anyone expected him to come in and change the world like crazy. No matter what people think he's not that much of a far left. He's in no way going to do a 180 on all Bush policies.

Bender
01-25-2009, 02:04 PM
:lol
I chuckled...

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd be curious about whether there was something case specific to guide the position taken in this particular case. But I'm also convinced, no matter who implements the concept, that warrantless taps are unconstitutional. That I agree or support, by and large, the new President doesn't change my view of the program and it won't diminish my insistence that it is legally-impermissible.

Wild Cobra
01-26-2009, 02:09 PM
I chuckled...
Thanx. The Cherokee in me slipped out for a moment. I'm not even sure how that tangent came about. Remember the classic westerns, and the way they would stereotype the Indian's speaking? I don't even remember what movie, but "Pale man speak with forked tongue" was a classic. It meant he was a two-faced liar, or Flip-flopped...

possessed
01-26-2009, 06:58 PM

HA!

That made me shart. :depressed

jack sommerset
01-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

ElNono
01-26-2009, 08:55 PM
I really don't follow those who claim Obama flip-flopped on this... I mean he voted FOR the FISA extension and amnesty program before the election...

ratm1221
01-26-2009, 09:04 PM
I really don't follow those who claim Obama flip-flopped on this... I mean he voted FOR the FISA extension and amnesty program before the election...

End thread.

ratm1221
01-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Here's an article from today.

No stay in wiretap lawsuit; Obama position still unclear

A federal judge last week refused to stay an order allowing an Islamic charity's lawsuit against the NSA to proceed. Meanwhile, with the confirmation of the new attorney general held up, it remains to be seen whether the new administration will change course.

As we noted last week, Justice Department attorneys spent the waning days of the Bush administration fighting to block an order handed down earlier this month by Judge Vaughn Walker, which gave a green light to a suit filed by a defunct charity, the Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation, believed to have been spied on under the National Security Agency's warrantless wiretap program. That means the government will have to continue reviewing documents for declassification or in camera scrutiny by Walker--and processing security clearance applications for Al-Haramain's attorneys--while the judge considers whether to grant an appeal, with a compliance deadline of February 13.
Technically, the Justice Department's attorneys are now acting on behalf of the Obama administration. But with the confirmation vote on prospective attorney general Eric Holder delayed, DOJ remains in what Al-Haramain lead attorney Jon Eisenberg calls a "strange limbo."

"It is true that the DOJ filed something on Thursday purporting to be on behalf of Obama," Eisenberg explains. "There's no indication whatsoever that it really is on behalf of Obama. It wasn't really a misrepresentation, but right now the Bush people are in charge. If they filed something... he is the president, but I'd be surprised if Obama had time to concern himself with this on Thursday."

For the moment, that leaves Bush appointee Mark Filip, an Illinois judge who formerly clerked for Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, at the helm. The career attorneys arguing the case have thus far persisted in their argument that the very fact of whether or not Al-Haramain's directors were surveilled--a fact already established by a secret memo accidentally turned over to the foundation's attorneys, which they've been barred from invoking directly--is a national security secret. Whether that tune will change after the confirmation of Holder and David Kris, Obama's pick to head DOJ's National Security Division, remains to be seen.

Oh, Gee!!
01-27-2009, 10:14 AM
ahf shows his ass again before knowing key facts. :lol

LnGrrrR
01-28-2009, 10:48 AM
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/01/obama-sides-wit.html

Come on your hypocritical fucks (boutons, etc.). You guys reemed Bush for this, called him Hitler, etc. What do you have to say for your Messiah?

Uhm... I'm not sure if you noticed this, but progressives ripped on Obama for his FISA vote. A great many of them. I think they even used his website to do it, if I recall correctly.

RandomGuy
01-28-2009, 12:22 PM

As usual, Aggie steps on his dick in a mad rush to blame libs for all things bad. :sleep

RandomGuy
01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Uhm... I'm not sure if you noticed this, but progressives ripped on Obama for his FISA vote. A great many of them. I think they even used his website to do it, if I recall correctly.

Indeed they did.

My wife, who followed such things noted a marked difference between Obama's website and Clintons in that debate was relatively unfettered on Obamas, and non-existant on hers.

From my observations of McCain's website during the campaign, his had no meaningful dissent/discussion as well.

I have been extremely impressed with his first couple of weeks so far. The right tone, and a lot of the right moves.

FromWayDowntown
01-28-2009, 12:28 PM

As usual, Aggie steps on his dick in a mad rush to blame libs for all things bad. :sleep

Wow. AHF can step on his dick?

DarkReign
01-28-2009, 12:31 PM

Apparently, he can. It explains much, considering there is only so much blood in the human body...

(j/k A)

RandomGuy
01-28-2009, 12:34 PM

He has very very short legs.

FromWayDowntown
01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
He has very very short legs.

Even then, I'm impressed.

I've always liked AHF, but I think I've gone from respect to awe.

ClingingMars
01-28-2009, 01:33 PM
as usual, liberals out with the insults.

-Mars

Winehole23
01-28-2009, 01:37 PM

-MarsBecause face it, no man wants to be reminded that he is in danger of stepping on his own schmegegge. :rolleyes

RandomGuy
01-28-2009, 01:48 PM

-Mars

I love you man, don't ever change.

Actually telling someone that they are factually incorrect isn't technically an insult.

Remove the more crude language, and the observation that AHF will post anything he gets his hands on with no fact checking or regards for intellectual honesty in a rush to depict liberals as bad in any and every way he can remains.

An insult would have been for me to call him a moron or an idiot, which I did not do. In all honesty "stepping on ones dick" does indirectly imply that AHF is not smart enough to do fact checking, so in this case you may have a point.

To be clear:

I think AHF is smart enough to do fact checking. I do not, however, think he is honest or fair enough to do so.

That may indeed be a direct insult, but if anybody here can say to me with a straight face that AHF is not a total partisan hack and AHF demonstrated any fairness in any of his political threads, I will take it all back.

LnGrrrR
01-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm just waiting for his "Whoops, my bad" post here. :)

Winehole23
01-28-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm just waiting for his "Whoops, my bad" post here. :)Don't hold your breath. Wild Cobra never owns his mistakes.

LnGrrrR
01-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Don't hold your breath. Wild Cobra never owns his mistakes.

Well, I was referring to AggieHoopsFan. WC's logic has been destroyed in multiple threads, and he commits logical fallacies at an alarming rate. Not to mention he moves the goalposts whenever he is found out.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-28-2009, 04:37 PM
I think AHF is smart enough to do fact checking. I do not, however, think he is honest or fair enough to do so.

That may indeed be a direct insult, but if anybody here can say to me with a straight face that AHF is not a total partisan hack and AHF demonstrated any fairness in any of his political threads, I will take it all back.

At the time, I posted the facts as they were. Now there's been a couple of days for more stuff to come out, looks like the situation has changed.

And there was a time when I was pretty objective in my threads here, hell I've been critical of Bush for basically the last year of his presidency. But Bush's mediocrity doesn't give Obama, Pelosi, or the Democratic hacks free reign to be equally shitty on the liberal side of the coin.

You have to admit the liberal slant is en force here on the Politics forum, and the glowing praise for the Messiah pushed me to be partisan, because I was tired of all the liberal shit.

I don't want to get off on a rant but...

Hell, this thread and many others recently since Obama won the election are proof positive about the hypocrisy on this forum. You guys had no problem ripping W. to shreds, then trash anyone on this forum who says anything remotely critical of Obama. Some have even suggested we need to unify and get behind the new president and all that stupid shit.

That's what pisses me off most about liberals. Y'all are largely hypocritical mother fuckers. You can trash Bush all day long and say it's patriotic to dissent, but then when you get your prince in the palace you bitch and moan that anyone critical of him needs to get on board and support him.

[/Dennis Miller]

McFudpucker
01-28-2009, 04:42 PM
At the time, I posted the facts as they were. Now there's been a couple of days for more stuff to come out, looks like the situation has changed.

And there was a time when I was pretty objective in my threads here, hell I've been critical of Bush for basically the last year of his presidency. But Bush's mediocrity doesn't give Obama, Pelosi, or the Democratic hacks free reign to be equally shitty on the liberal side of the coin.

You have to admit the liberal slant is en force here on the Politics forum, and the glowing praise for the Messiah pushed me to be partisan, because I was tired of all the liberal shit.

I don't want to get off on a rant but...

Hell, this thread and many others recently since Obama won the election are proof positive about the hypocrisy on this forum. You guys had no problem ripping W. to shreds, then trash anyone on this forum who says anything remotely critical of Obama. Some have even suggested we need to unify and get behind the new president and all that stupid shit.

That's what pisses me off most about liberals. Y'all are largely hypocritical mother fuckers. You can trash Bush all day long and say it's patriotic to dissent, but then when you get your prince in the palace you bitch and moan that anyone critical of him needs to get on board and support him.

[/Dennis Miller]

So Dennis Miller gave Dubya the benefit of the doubt for 7 years but is unwilling to extend Obama the same courtesy after little more than 7 days in the White House?

Sounds fair to me...

LnGrrrR
01-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Hell, this thread and many others recently since Obama won the election are proof positive about the hypocrisy on this forum.

Uhm... wasn't this thread full of liberals/progressives who said they disagreed with Obama and were generally upset/disappointed with his FISA vote? Show me if I'm wrong, please.

ChumpDumper
01-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I don't get it. Many of Obama's supporters here have stated their displeasure with Obama's actions regarding wiretapping in this and the other thread.

Personally I think if the provisions of FISA are followed, I don't have a problem with them. The actual objections in this particular case have not been made clear to me at all, and probably never will since no one really knows what is going on.

Nbadan
01-28-2009, 07:32 PM
...now, now don't go confusing AHF with facts....

LnGrrrR
02-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Still waiting on AHF to explain the inconsistency...