PDA

View Full Version : HDMI to DVI with audio?

DannyT
01-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Is this possible...or do I need a converter of some sort...I just bought a
HDMI-DVI cable under the impression that it would contain the audio. My ass is at work right now and the link on my searches are coming up empty...any help would be much appreciated!!!

PM5K
01-24-2009, 08:36 PM
It does not contain the audio, you'll need to run the audio separately. Your monitor hopefully has L+R audio connections that go with one of your HDMI connectors, you'll need the appropriate cable depending on exactly what you are doing.

DannyT
01-24-2009, 08:43 PM
thanks dude...I think have come down to that after doing a bit of reading...I just hope I can use both connections at one time from 360

PM5K
01-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Why not just use the component?

Viva Las Espuelas
01-27-2009, 03:18 PM
the 360 should have an optical out. run that to your tv or receiver. however you have your rig connected. one question though. does your tv only have dvi inputs? i'm just wondering why you're splitting the function of the HDMI output. if that's the case then that's cool. if i were your i'd bought the component cable for the video and run the optical out to your tv or receiver. much cheaper and no splitting of signal.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2009, 04:03 PM
If it's a PC, I believe there are some Radeon cards that can indeed send out audio through their DVI ports. From what I've read they are a little tricky bit not impossible to configure.

Viva Las Espuelas
01-27-2009, 04:43 PM
If it's a PC, I believe there are some Radeon cards that can indeed send out audio through their DVI ports. From what I've read they are a little tricky bit not impossible to configure.

DVI = Digital Video Interface
HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface