PDA

View Full Version : Jon Barry ~ Spurs vs. Lakers Q

bugmenot
01-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Can the Spurs beat the Lakers in the playoffs?

Jon Barry: "The Lakers ran circles around them last year. They're just so much more athletic; they're so deep. I don't think that by the end of this year that those three guys of the Spurs [Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan] are going to have enough in the tank."

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090125

:frying:

KaiRMD1
01-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't know, while yes, the Lakers do seem like they will beat the Spurs in the playoffs, I can't take Barry seriously since last season he said the Spurs would lose to Phoenix in 6

FuzzyLumpkins
01-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Lets just gloss over the fact that Manu was hurt why don't we?

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Opinons are like assholes. Everyone has one and all of them stink.

DrHouse
01-24-2009, 04:31 PM

Just like you gloss over the fact that neither Bynum nor Ariza even played in that series.

wildbill2u
01-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Lakers first five are bigger and more athletic for sure than any combination we can put on the floor. But the race does not always go to the swift nor the fight to the strong.

We will have to rely on defense to beat them.

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2009, 04:38 PM
I think more than anything it was the rebounding factor that killed us. When we get stops we have to rebound the basketball to limit their opportunities. I think it was game 4 when luke walton and radmonovic were hitting the offensive boards rodman like.

robot89
01-24-2009, 04:44 PM
who cares what the other other barry thinks lol

Solid D
01-24-2009, 04:45 PM
It's sad it looks as though Brent has to go out like brother Jon and father Rick....spending their last 2 seasons in Houston like candles in the wind.

Flux451
01-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Just like you gloss over the fact that neither Bynum nor Ariza even played in that series.

You change teams like I change underwear.

Flux451
01-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Barry and Payton should be fired. The worsts two on tv. Not just because of there hate on Spurs, just cuz they plain suck at their job. A couple of whiny *******.

Quiet Strength
01-24-2009, 04:57 PM

That's true. Mason and Hill didn't play either since they weren't on the team. So if these 2 teams meet in the playoffs it really doesn't matter what happened last year. Neither team will be the same.

Manufan909
01-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Jon Barry: "The Lakers ran circles around them last year. They're just so much more athletic; they're so deep. I don't think that by the end of this year that those three guys of the Spurs [Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan] are going to have enough in the tank."

Now I have another reason I want the Lakers tol lose: for Jon to eat his words. Kobe's dick has to be sore with all these reporters riding him this season.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-24-2009, 05:02 PM

You'll notice I am not the one making predictions.

koriwhat
01-24-2009, 05:04 PM
jon barry is a douche plain and simple! almost as bad as bill walton both of whom are bandwagon fucks.

MarHill
01-24-2009, 05:04 PM

Here's my problem with Jon Barry's analysis...it's revisionist history.

The Lakers won the series fair and square..but it was very competitive.

Three games decided by 8 points or less and a blowout by each team. Even though it went five games...it was close and competitive.

The Lakers didn't run circles around the Spurs. The Spurs went several scoring droughts during that series and they have to be shooting well to beat the Lakers. The Lakers are the most dynamic offensive team in the league and not only do the Spurs have to stop them defensively....they have to make timely shots and if your playmaker was injured and effective only one of the five games it will a make difference in a series.

Lastly, has Jon Barry watched any Spurs games this season? The Big 3 are playing their normal minutes now. Yes....Tim Duncan had to play more minutes in the first month of the season...but he's back to normal PT.

The Big 3 will have plenty in the tank when the playoffs come around. Does he understand how Pop montiors their minutes during the regular season. He has done that for quite awhile!!!

Also, the development of Mason, Hill and improved play of Bonner have helped the Spurs so far.

Again, I don't mind him stating his opinion that the Lakers will beat the Spurs in a playoff series (that's fair)..but please don't make revisionist history comments to support your point.

:flag:

lebomb
01-24-2009, 05:11 PM
I think we need a better big next to Tim.

MarHill
01-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I think we need a better big next to Tim.

Unfortunately...there isn't a quality big out there without giving up one of the Big 3 or Mason or Hill. That won't happen!!

I believe that KT will have to play a more important role. His toughness and the ability to hit the pick-n-pop will help TD on the inside. He will have to get more minutes as the season goes along.

lebomb
01-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Unfortunately...there isn't a quality big out there without giving up one of the Big 3 or Mason or Hill. That won't happen!!

I believe that KT will have to play a more important role. His toughness and the ability to hit the pick-n-pop will help TD on the inside. He will have to get more minutes as the season goes along.

Kurt commits too many fouls in my opinion. He has a hard time keeping up with younger legs. Now if we could land Camby by the trade deadline.....I would feel pretty confident against LA. :lobt2:

MarHill
01-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Kurt commits too many fouls in my opinion. He has a hard time keeping up with younger legs. Now if we could land Camby by the trade deadline.....I would feel pretty confident against LA. :lobt2:

Camby would be a nice addition..but he's make too much money and his contract goes past 2010...I believe.

Please the Clippers would want something decent in return in a trade.

Unless we get someone that's released or waived or out of retirement....this team the Spurs are going with.

Lastly, I believe you are selling KT short. He has played better as of late since he's healthy and I believe he will get significant minutes in the playoffs especially against a team like the Lakers.

DrHouse
01-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Here's my problem with Jon Barry's analysis...it's revisionist history.

The Lakers won the series fair and square..but it was very competitive.

Three games decided by 8 points or less and a blowout by each team. Even though it went five games...it was close and competitive.

The Lakers didn't run circles around the Spurs. The Spurs went several scoring droughts during that series and they have to be shooting well to beat the Lakers. The Lakers are the most dynamic offensive team in the league and not only do the Spurs have to stop them defensively....they have to make timely shots and if your playmaker was injured and effective only one of the five games it will a make difference in a series.

Lastly, has Jon Barry watched any Spurs games this season? The Big 3 are playing their normal minutes now. Yes....Tim Duncan had to play more minutes in the first month of the season...but he's back to normal PT.

The Big 3 will have plenty in the tank when the playoffs come around. Does he understand how Pop montiors their minutes during the regular season. He has done that for quite awhile!!!

Also, the development of Mason, Hill and improved play of Bonner have helped the Spurs so far.

Again, I don't mind him stating his opinion that the Lakers will beat the Spurs in a playoff series (that's fair)..but please don't make revisionist history comments to support your point.

I disagree.

When you lose 4-1 in the WCF it's not competitive. The WCF is supposed to be the two best teams in the WC going at each other so the scores aren't going to be huge blowouts one way or the other. If it makes you feel better to look at the scoreboard and see relatively close scores then so be it. Just don't go around screaming to Suns fans how you "PWNED" them in the playoffs because they could say the exact same thing about the series being "competitive".

And stop bringing up Manu being hurt. The guy fucking played for christ sakes and dropped 30 pts in Game 3. The Lakers were without their starting C and their best wing defender not named Kobe, yet Spur fan never brings this up. If anyone is living in revisionist history it's you Spur fan.

NFGIII
01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
It is going to be tough to beat them but possible. As of now we can't get into a fast paced type of game but need to slow it down. Manu is healthy but so is Bynum. We probably would need to get that big many have talked about prior to the trade deadline in order to up our chances. I would never count out the Spurs but overall the Lakers have a better team than the Spurs at this time. But that's why you play the game.

Anyway it's too early to really speculate as to whether this team or that team can be each other. Health has always been one of the prime factors in determining who plays for the championship. Injuries happen. We all know what happened to Manu. Come late March or early April we can see what's up.

Never count out the Spurs in a series. Adjustments always happen and clutch players step up.

exstatic
01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
This is going to be non-conformist, but while the Lakers are bigger, I don't think they're any more athletic than we are, top to bottom of the roster. Other than Kobe, they have one real athlete on the team, Ariza, and he isn't that fucking good at basketball. In NBA terms, Odom and Gasol would be average, and Fish is less athletic than Jacques Vaughn. I'll see your Farmar and raise you a George Hill.

Admidave50
01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
with our big 3 healthy, I like our chances

MarHill
01-24-2009, 05:47 PM
I disagree.

When you lose 4-1 in the WCF it's not competitive. The WCF is supposed to be the two best teams in the WC going at each other so the scores aren't going to be huge blowouts one way or the other. If it makes you feel better to look at the scoreboard and see relatively close scores then so be it. Just don't go around screaming to Suns fans how you "PWNED" them in the playoffs because they could say the exact same thing about the series being "competitive".

And stop bringing up Manu being hurt. The guy fucking played for christ sakes and dropped 30 pts in Game 3. The Lakers were without their starting C and their best wing defender not named Kobe, yet Spur fan never brings this up. If anyone is living in revisionist history it's you Spur fan.

I have said the Suns-Spurs series was competitive repeatedly in this forum. The reason most Spurs fans say they owned the Suns...is the Spurs have beaten the Suns 3 out of the 4 playoff series they've faced other.

And the close scores and the pace of the games does determine how competitive a series can be even if it only went 5 games. For example, The Celts-Hawks wasn't as close a series that everybody made out to be...because the Hawks got blown out in Boston four times..even though that series went 7 games.

Manu is the Spurs main playmaker and he's a difference maker for the team. And for you to not acknowledge that...is you that is living revisionist history.

Furthermore, Bynum was already out for that series and the Lakers played well without him for the second half of the season. I could see if Manu was already out before the WC Finals even started...then I would accept your argument.

1Parker1
01-24-2009, 05:49 PM
:lol What's so wrong with what he said? Spurs really aren't that athletic, and the Big 3, specifically Duncan, will need some help in the postseason if they don't want to tire out. And when healthy, the Lakers do have a very deep bench.

If the Spurs can amp up their defense and if the Big 3 are healthy come playoff time and depending on who the matchups are in previous rounds, Spurs have a chance at beating the Lakers. Postseason anything can happen.

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2009, 05:50 PM
I disagree.

Spurs were up 20 in two games they lost. To me thats a competative series no matter if they lost in 5 or not. The Suns series in the first round was competative as well but we came out on top. And the reason we say we PWNed the Suns is because the Suns are our bitch. Plain and Simple. We are the reason why D antoni is in New York. We are the reason why they traded Marion for Shaq. We are also the reason why Lakers bribed the Grizzlies for that fluke of a trade. And if I had to say, since your talking about recent history, Spurs have not only owned the lakers but the whole NBA in the past 7 years.

Gutter92
01-24-2009, 05:58 PM
I disagree.

Yea, Manu played on an injured ankle, the Spurs gave the Lakers a challenge in game 1 despite being stuck on a plane overnight after the Hornets game.

cool hand
01-24-2009, 07:32 PM

yeah, when we beat the lakers they will always stress what lakers were hurt, when they beat us they don't even mention any of our injured spurs. the lakers are just so much better.

GSH
01-24-2009, 07:40 PM

There should be a rule that any post dealing with, or responding to Jon Barry must include the word "asshole". I don't think I have ever listened to him on television without thinking at least once or twice. It's hard to take anything he says too seriously.

SpurYank
01-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Let's see. The Spurs are the most recent champions, between these two teams. So they carry something of a "history" into this game tomorrow. I have but one thing to say. "Never underestimate the heart of a champion" (Rudy Tomjanovich). In other words, if Pop says the correct motivating words to our team before the game, we will win. If not, well, they will. All I know is I will be entertained. This is life.

DrHouse
01-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Spurs were up 20 in two games they lost. To me thats a competative series no matter if they lost in 5 or not. The Suns series in the first round was competative as well but we came out on top. And the reason we say we PWNed the Suns is because the Suns are our bitch. Plain and Simple. We are the reason why D antoni is in New York. We are the reason why they traded Marion for Shaq. We are also the reason why Lakers bribed the Grizzlies for that fluke of a trade. And if I had to say, since your talking about recent history, Spurs have not only owned the lakers but the whole NBA in the past 7 years.

Who the fuck cares if the Spurs were up 20 in the 1st quarter? Basketball is a game of runs, it's not uncommon for that to happen. That's why you play 48 minutes of basketball, not 12 or 24.

It's not how you start that matters, it's how you finish. The bottom line is the best executing team in the 4th quarter was soundly out-performed by the Lakers and that is why they lost. They could not stop Kobe from getting to his spots and he made them pay.

And no, the Spurs have not owned the Lakers at all. Check the facts.

4-1.

The Spurs are the Lakers bitch whether you want to admit it or not. That's why you hate them.

tmtcsc
01-24-2009, 08:56 PM

Thank you, exactly.

ManuTP9
01-24-2009, 09:38 PM
:lol What's so wrong with what he said? Spurs really aren't that athletic, and the Big 3, specifically Duncan, will need some help in the postseason if they don't want to tire out. And when healthy, the Lakers do have a very deep bench.

If the Spurs can amp up their defense and if the Big 3 are healthy come playoff time and depending on who the matchups are in previous rounds, Spurs have a chance at beating the Lakers. Postseason anything can happen.

Agreed :hat

Borosai
01-24-2009, 09:41 PM
The Lakers were more consistent than the Spurs last year: they didn't dominate, and they definitely didn't run circles around them. The Lakers were the better team, but the series wasn't as simple as 4-1 (blowing big leads with nasty scoring droughts is unacceptable).

Last year is long gone. I'll take the contributions of a healthy Manu and the addition of Mason over a healthy Bynum and Ariza. Anyway, if they meet again this year, it will be competitive, but I like the Spurs' chances (of course I do).

SenorSpur
01-24-2009, 09:55 PM
I think more than anything it was the rebounding factor that killed us. When we get stops we have to rebound the basketball to limit their opportunities.

Amen. The nightmare I still have from last year's series is remembering how Duncan was forced into several 1-against-2 matchups against Gasol and Odom on both ends, with very lttle help. Which is why I was so looking forward to the Spurs adding 2 bigs this season (Splitter and Ian). Yet as we know, they've added NONE.

The Spurs absolutely have to limit the Fakers second-chance opportunities and keep the rebounding marging close. It will take incredible efforts from Duncan, Thomas, Bonner and others to accomplish this. This will be especially important because this team is not quite as good defensively as in year's past. If they can't do so, they'll likely not be able to overtake this team.

galvatron3000
01-24-2009, 10:00 PM

Is that your Opinion?
:toast

iggypop123
01-24-2009, 10:55 PM
the only writer for sports based websites that knows basketball and x's and o's is charley rosen. everyone else is just looks at stat books

Raoul Duke
01-24-2009, 11:06 PM
lakers fan. well that about says it all.

mogrovejo
01-24-2009, 11:13 PM
http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/images/espnpicks.jpg

Analysts.....:wakeup

Spork KIller
01-24-2009, 11:46 PM
I agree with Jon Barry...the Spurms don't stand a chance against the Lakers...

Enough said!

Spork KIller
01-24-2009, 11:48 PM
starting tomorrow afternoon, the Lakers will mop the floor with the spurms, this game won't be even close

Lakers by 25

ClingingMars
01-24-2009, 11:49 PM
http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/images/espnpicks.jpg

Analysts.....:wakeup

+1

:lmao

sa_kid20
01-24-2009, 11:50 PM
with our big 3 healthy, I like our chances

There it is :tu

Spork KIller
01-24-2009, 11:52 PM
There it is :tu

Healthy or not..the spurms are trash

Keep dreaming pathetic homer.

sa_kid20
01-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Healthy or not..the spurms are trash

Keep dreaming pathetic homer.

ok

Spork KIller.
01-25-2009, 12:07 AM
ok

sorry pathetic homer...I'm not very good at this trolling thing...kinda like my team isn't very good at basketball

ClingingMars
01-25-2009, 12:28 AM
sorry pathetic homer...I'm not very good at this trolling thing...kinda like my team isn't very good at basketball

my favorite anti-troll

Galileo
01-25-2009, 01:47 AM
The Lakers beat the Spurs last year for one reason and one reason only: Rigged scheduling by David Stern.

iggypop123
01-25-2009, 01:53 AM
The Lakers beat the Spurs last year for one reason and one reason only: Rigged scheduling by David Stern.

how is scheduling rigged? the playoff dates are all mostly pre determined

Lakers999
01-25-2009, 01:59 AM

manu was hurt, malone was hurt, bynum was hurt, amare was hurt, donaghy got fired etc... etc... theres always an excuse :toast

Lakers999
01-25-2009, 02:02 AM
+1

bynum might have pushed us over the edge if he came back as scheduled in march....

just like how manu could have if he wasn't "hurt"

DrHouse
01-25-2009, 02:05 AM
If Bynum can continue playing the way he has this week for the rest of the season LAL will be VERY hard to beat in a playoff series.

Lakers999
01-25-2009, 02:07 AM
If Bynum can continue playing the way he has this week for the rest of the season LAL will be VERY hard to beat in a playoff series.

it will still be hard for the spurs to win even if bynum wasnt playing at his full potential...

mogrovejo
01-25-2009, 02:21 AM

I doubt the Clippers and the Wizards make the play-offs.

Galileo
01-25-2009, 02:36 AM
how is scheduling rigged? the playoff dates are all mostly pre determined

They dragged out game 7, giving the Spurs and Hornets three days rest for no reason. Then they boomeranged around and set the Spurs Lakers games every other day for the entire series.

This is how mass manipulators operate.

Wake Up!!

iggypop123
01-25-2009, 04:25 AM
They dragged out game 7, giving the Spurs and Hornets three days rest for no reason. Then they boomeranged around and set the Spurs Lakers games every other day for the entire series.

This is how mass manipulators operate.

Wake Up!!

they schedule it like that. so series are one right after the other. it so happened that the spurs had to go 7 games to defeat the hornets while the lakers rested

DrHouse
01-25-2009, 04:40 AM
I can't tell if Galileo is being serious or not. If Spur fan actually thinks like that I'm really scared for the people of San Antonio.

Rapper
01-25-2009, 04:56 AM
say it together

Beat LA

MaNu4Tres
01-25-2009, 05:36 AM
Duncan 4 Rings Kobe 3....enough Fuckin Said Lakers Fans...

mrspurs
01-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Barry and Payton should be fired. The worsts two on tv. Not just because of there hate on Spurs, just cuz they plain suck at their job. A couple of whiny *******.

agreed

HarlemHeat37
01-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Barry is one of the worst, but he just went against what he said on TV lol..he just said the Spurs are dangerous and the only team that can challenge LA..

Lakers999
01-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Duncan 4 Rings Kobe 3....enough Fuckin Said Lakers Fans...

GSH
01-25-2009, 01:17 PM
it will still be hard for the spurs to win even if bynum wasnt playing at his full potential...

Ummm... nice analysis there, Sparky. It's hard for anybody to win a championship. It's the playoffs! All the teams are good.

It was hard for the Spurs to beat New Orleans in the playoffs last year, but they did it.

It was hard for the Celtics to beat the Hawks and Pistons in the playoffs last year, since both of those series went to 7 games. It was hard for the Lakers to stay on the court with the Celtics in the Finals to, wasn't it? Didn't they lose that last game 131-92? That's pathetic.

Barry is one of the worst, but he just went against what he said on TV lol..he just said the Spurs are dangerous and the only team that can challenge LA..

And Jon Barry contradicts himself contstantly. He's an idiot.