PDA

View Full Version : Local Vineyards

Jekka
03-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Anyone have any information and/or tips on visiting local vineyards? I'm a big fan of the wine and am currently in the process of turning Manny into a wino - and visiting some local vineyards seems like it could be interesting and educational, and sampling is always fun.

timvp
03-02-2005, 01:00 AM
I don't know about vineyards but as an aside ... I love wine except that getting drunk off wine SUCKS.

jalbre6
03-02-2005, 01:23 AM
I love wine except that getting drunk off wine SUCKS.

No, being hungover from drinking too much wine sucks. The only hangover I can think of worse than that is champagne.

On topic however, the only time I've done a tasting was at the Fredericksburg Winery. We were the youngest people there by about forty years and we had a blast. It's a family business and the owners were a lot of fun. If I remember, their 90 year old mother holds court singing German drinking songs at the end of the tour while she labels bottles.

NeoConIV
03-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Messina Hoff is around College Station. Never been but I love their wine. Where is Llano vineyards at I wonder...they have probably the best Texas wine.

MannyIsGod
03-02-2005, 01:31 AM
I am digging wine. I'm more interested in learning about it. I've tried it a few times, but I went out and got a random merlot last night that I dug. Tonight we got a bordeaux and another merlot to try out, and we're going to try a wine a week from this point out.

But this Sunday we're considering driving out to Fredricksburg or something to try out some wine and have a day out in the Hill Country. We might check out the Fredricksburg Winery.

MannyIsGod
03-02-2005, 01:34 AM
http://www.texaswinetrail.com

We're currently looking at that site.

MannyIsGod
03-02-2005, 01:37 AM
BTW, before anyone says it(or thinks it, but I'm probably too late for that)....

NO, we haven't seen Sideways, and this is in no way directly related to that movie.

Thank you.

Kori Ellis
03-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Messina Hof is good wine. I won a bet from JimCS like 4 years ago and he sent me six bottles of it. It's very good.

My favorite Cabernet is Silverado -- it's a Napa wine.

Spurs_rock05
03-02-2005, 01:44 AM
i don't drink never have never will i might go to clubs but don't drink

MannyIsGod
03-02-2005, 01:53 AM
I haven't tried a Cab yet.

http://www.beckervineyards.com

We just visted that site and it looks really cool. Plus, complimentary tasting, I think, and that's always a good thing.

Their wine actually has a pretty nice history of being served at prestigious (thank you Jessica for the spelling) events and places.

Most of the places apparently are open from noon to six.

travis2
03-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Messina Hoff is around College Station.

Is she related to Susanna?

Where is Llano vineyards at I wonder...

I don't know...but my first guess would be Llano...

:lol

NeoConIV
03-02-2005, 11:41 AM
I don't know...but my first guess would be Llano...

:lol
Why I oughta pound you!!

From Manny's website...forgot all about Fall Creek. Doh! They got a decent Chard. Not great, DECENT.

KEDA
03-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Try the Vineyard restaraunt off of FM 3009 close to 35/Garden Ridge area

The restaraunt is a little $$$ but you can tour the working vineyard behind it, and I believe they have complimentary samples as well!

MannyIsGod
03-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I think eventually, we'll hit all of those vineyards and more.

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2005, 03:28 PM
I've done a lot of vineyard tours in the Fredricksburg area...lots of fun...after doing Beckers go across the highway and get some barbeque...some of the best you can buy anywhere...

as to the vineyards restaurant, that place is the bomb...I went to a party there where they rented the whole place...everybody got smashed and then stomped grapes...they have complimentary t-shirts you then put your purple footprints on...

not that I have ever worn that t-shirt in public...:lol

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2005, 03:32 PM
oops...on second thought the barbeque place is across from Grape Creek vineyards in Stonewall...but the Becker place is really nice too...

travis2
03-02-2005, 03:33 PM
I've done a lot of vineyard tours in the Fredricksburg area...lots of fun...after doing Beckers go across the highway and get some barbeque...some of the best you can buy anywhere...

as to the vineyards restaurant, that place is the bomb...I went to a party there where they rented the whole place...everybody got smashed and then stomped grapes...they have complimentary t-shirts you then put your purple footprints on...

not that I have ever worn that t-shirt in public...:lol

Small feet or something? :lol

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Small feet or something?

naaa...just looks really stupid with jeans,boots, trophy buckle and hat thankyouverymuch...

Extra Stout
03-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Chile. Argentina.

That's where it's at.

Only the Panhandle is of much use for growing grapes, and only around Lubbock at that. Amarillo gets too cold.

The Hill Country is too far south, and not high enough elevation, to make really good wine from vitis vinifera. They just make simple quaffing stuff. But, hey, that's fine.

Messina Hof is grossly overrated because Aggies think that anything and everything around College Station is just the super bestest.

xrayzebra
03-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Anyone have any information and/or tips on visiting local vineyards? I'm a big fan of the wine and am currently in the process of turning Manny into a wino - and visiting some local vineyards seems like it could be interesting and educational, and sampling is always fun.

Oldest winery in Texas is located in Del Rio, 150 miles west on US90.
Member of the family still operates it. You will have to ask for directions
when you get there because it is in a residential area.

Jimcs50
03-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Messina Hof is grossly overrated because Aggies think that anything and everything around College Station is just the super bestest.

Hardly, they have many Gold Medals in National competitions.

I have tried wines from everywhere and Messina Hof can stand up to most.

You need to come and tour the winery, it is fun, and they have a great restaurant there too and some Bed and Breakfast suites, so you can make a weekend out of it...very romantic...even TPark would get laid if he brought a lady there.

:)

Jimcs50
03-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Messina Hof is good wine. I won a bet from JimCS like 4 years ago and he sent me six bottles of it. It's very good.

My favorite Cabernet is Silverado -- it's a Napa wine.

Freaking Bruins beat my Terps in NCAAs.

:cuss

Jimcs50
03-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Fall Creek wines are good too.

MannyIsGod
03-03-2005, 06:02 PM
:lmao @ the Tpark laid comment.

I'll have to put that one on the list Jim. I have some friends in CS I'd like to visit as well. Oh, and I'll run by your place to pick up my check for next semesters tuition. :spin

NameDropper
03-03-2005, 08:07 PM
You all sound like a bunch of whiners.

blackbucket
03-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Manny and Jekka,

I don't know too much about wine but I am getting into it myself. I am not fond of Merlots or Cabs but I just had a Pinot Noir that was quite good and inexpensive. I'm sure most people start off on sweet whites before they go dark. I think Pinot Noir is the best of both worlds. Anyway, I had a bottle tonight (by myself, no I am not A DRUNK,) that was very tasty and I was compelled to finish the entire thing. It is from Meridian vineyards in the central coast of Cali. It is from 2003 and is around $12 to $18 depending where you buy it. I had it with Red Pepper Tuscano with Chicken and Sausage and enjoyed every last drop! :hat

Just a suggestion.

SequSpur
03-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Try the Grape Wine Company off of Broadway and 410, just inside the loop. Its kind of off the road, no sign, but their prices are awesome. Ask for Oliver and tell him I sent you.

Try Sauvignon Blanc next time. Good stuff. They are out of the Dynamite, however, he said they have a new one from a different winery.

blackbucket
03-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks Sequ. I'll give it a shot.

MannyIsGod
03-06-2005, 12:59 AM
Tonight, a wine from Portugal.

MannyIsGod
04-10-2005, 07:43 PM
So we finaly went out to a few Hill Country Winery/Vineyards. We went to Sister Creek, Grape Creek, Torre de Pietra, and Becker.

Sister Creek and Torre de Piertra were both awesome! We bought a desert wine from Sister Creek although their Chardonay was pretty nice as well. At Torre we bought a Claret, and a combination called Red Flirt. Both are really complex and awesome.

The service at both of those winerys was awesome. We did a 5 dollar per person tasting at Sister Creek that was pretty fun. Also, they allow you go walk among the barrels in the back. It's just cool to see all of that stuff. Torre's owner was there and he took the time to tell us about the wines and just talk to us about stuff for awhile. Very very nice guy.

Grape Creek was horrible. The wines were very good, but the service absolutely horrendous. I'll never go there again.

At Becker, the wine wasn't bad, but the service was even worse. The guy left us to go help someone else and completely forgot about us. It was absolutely ridiculous, and it actually pissed me off.

So, after that we went to Fredricksburg and ate at the Fredricks Brewry Company. Had some good beer there, and ate some German food.

Anyhow, I recommend everyone check out Sister Creek and Torre De Pietra. Both places are nice. I'd stay away from Grape Creek, but you might have better luck than we did at Becker.