PDA

View Full Version : Pop wanted to go after Nenad Krstic

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-24-2009, 05:13 PM
For the record, Popovich admits his heart fluttered after Nenad Krstic got away to Oklahoma City before he had a chance to weigh the merits of signing him.

"Ah, I love him," said the Spurs coach, who has $2.1 million left on his midlevel exception. "But we thought Kurt (Thomas) knew the system, and Fab (Oberto) was just getting (healthy)."

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2009/01/san_antonio_spurs_flying_under.html

ChumpDumper
01-24-2009, 05:17 PM
And we didn't have enough money.

Manufan909
01-24-2009, 05:20 PM
No, damn 7 footer got away.:depressed

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-24-2009, 05:21 PM
And we didn't have enough money.

^^

Would've been nice to get him, but money is money, and that was one thing the Spurs didn't have much of.

exstatic
01-24-2009, 05:32 PM
To get Nenad, the Spurs would have had to spend nothing this summer, passing on RMJ in the process, save the entire MLE, and have a psychic tell them that his Russian club would release him in the middle of the season. If all that happens, they have a chance to out-do OKC.

Bob Lanier
01-24-2009, 05:39 PM
No, damn 7 footer got away.:depressed
Krstic is less a seven-footer than Oberto at heart.

NFGIII
01-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Pop has always liked Nenad. I believe that he wanted to draft him when he was available but NJ got there first or to that effect.

Austin_Toros
01-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Kristic before knee blew out > Kristic after knee blew out

Rogue
01-24-2009, 06:12 PM
actually the spurs need another big guy but it isn't gonna be him. spurs need a elson-type of guy who does the dirty works for TD but bonner doesn't fit this work well, and kristic is even softer than bonner so the 2.1m would likely to be wasted though it's not too expensing.

I would rank kristic 2nd just next to yao on the list of "the most frail players", tmac is not included because he isn't a player at all, he is just a sh*t.

timvp
01-24-2009, 06:20 PM
And we didn't have enough money.:tu

And even if the Spurs did have the money, it would have been a risky signing. His game fell off tremendously after his knee injury and even when he was healthy, he's a worse rebounder than Matt Bonner.

pawe
01-24-2009, 10:08 PM
I still say stick with KT, Fab and Bonner.

urunobili
01-25-2009, 11:53 AM
IIRC i asked timvp several times about this and also brought this up during the offseason... especially once we knew Thiago wouldn't come... :downspin:

exstatic
01-25-2009, 12:08 PM
IIRC i asked timvp several times about this and also brought this up during the offseason... especially once we knew Thiago wouldn't come... :downspin:

His knee was an unknown this summer, and NJ probably would have matched. The only reason OKC got over was that NJ had filled out their roster already after he signed in Europe. Once their roster was filled, they didn't want to pay the luxtax on his entire MLE contract by matching in the middle of the season.