PDA

View Full Version : Linton Johnson III hasn't given up hope of contributing this season

Kori Ellis
03-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Stepping livelier: Linton Johnson III hasn't given up hope of contributing this season
Web Posted: 03/02/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030205.7C.BKNspurs.johnson.f8304dba.html

On Sunday afternoon, Linton Johnson III climbed the stairs leading from the tarmac at San Antonio International Airport to the Spurs' charter jet. They might have been the most significant steps he has taken all season.

The flight to Cleveland was the first trip Johnson has made with his teammates since he underwent surgery more than three months ago to repair a stress fracture in his left foot. After injuring his ankle shortly before the start of training camp, he wasn't cleared to participate in even the team's shooting drills until last week.

The bone in Johnson's foot has now healed enough to allow him to do some light running and jumping. His next practice will be his first with the Spurs.

"Even though it's been five, six months," Johnson said, "I still don't feel like I'm one with the team because I'm down here to play basketball. I'm not here to sit on the sidelines."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich admits it will be difficult for Johnson to play this season, but he hasn't ruled out the possibility. Johnson certainly hasn't given up hope.

"I'm not looking to next year or this summer," Johnson said. "I'm looking at right here and now."

The Spurs signed Johnson in August after he proved to be a hard-working defender in 41 games for the Chicago Bulls last season. They saw him as a player to develop, much like Devin Brown and Stephen Jackson, but also thought he might have a chance to crack their rotation.

Thinking the same, Johnson arrived in San Antonio before the start of training camp to participate in informal workouts. On the first day Popovich watched him, he rolled his left ankle while playing defense.

"I saw him," Popovich said, "for all of three seconds."

Johnson and the Spurs initially thought he sprained his ankle. He tried to practice on the first day of camp, but didn't last long. After his foot still didn't seem to be healing, an MRI revealed the stress fracture. He underwent surgery Nov. 23.

Johnson continued to attend practices and home games. But whenever the team departed on a trip, he remained behind in San Antonio, usually confined to the pool or weight room at the franchise's practice facility.

"They had me lifting so many weights," Johnson said, "I thought they were getting me ready for the center position."

When the Spurs played on the road, he watched from his couch with his left leg propped up in a protective boot. He passed time by studying the team's playbook and watching film with former Spurs forward Monty Williams. Williams, who is interning with the team's coaching staff, occasionally has invited Johnson to his house.

"You don't have to have played in the NBA just to know what's it's like to be on the outskirts," Williams said. "It's awful. You get used to not being a part of things, you get a little detached."

Johnson does know the value of patience.

After playing four seasons at Tulane, he was passed over in the 2002 NBA draft. Chicago signed him to its summer-league team that July, but he barely played because the Bulls had other younger players, like Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry, who needed minutes.

Johnson passed on offers to play overseas and instead returned to Tulane where he completed his finance degree, becoming the first person on his mother's side of the family to graduate from college. He still wanted to give basketball a try, so he moved home. Each day he borrowed bus money from his uncle to go and work out at Illinois-Chicago.

Realizing he couldn't postpone a job search much longer, Johnson passed out his résumé at the Chicago Stock Exchange in hopes of landing a position as a runner. H&R Block instead called with an offer, telling him he would make between $12,000-$20,000 his first year.

"I was like, this is what it comes down to?" Johnson said. "All those years I went to college for that."

While considering the offer, Johnson entered a local one-on-one tournament sponsored by former Bulls guard Randy Brown. He played well enough to win. Chicago assistant coach Pete Myers, who knew Johnson from the city's pro-am league, was at the tournament and suggested the Bulls bring him in as an extra training camp body.

Johnson made the team, but was waived two months into the season when his contract was about to become guaranteed. He joined the CBA's Rockford Lightning for six weeks before the Bulls called again. They gave him a pair of 10-day contracts, then signed him for the season.

The Spurs, who have the option of extending Johnson's contract this summer, appear willing to wait to see if he fits. Though Johnson hasn't been able to play, the team passed on an opportunity to waive him last week when a roster spot was needed to complete Malik Rose's trade.

With only 26 games remaining, Johnson's chances of playing this season, Popovich said, aren't great. Even if he's healthy enough to play, he still has to practice well enough to show he deserves minutes in a game.

"But you can't tell him the season is a wash," Popovich said. "I don't know what's going to happen. Maybe somebody else gets hurt."

Johnson is thankful for the Spurs' patience. But until someone tells him otherwise, he plans to continue working toward a return.

One step at a time.

boutons
03-02-2005, 01:20 AM
http://www.footphysicians.com/info2.php?id=22

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1996/10_96/thordar2.htm

nice hardware!! :

http://footandankle.mdmercy.com/conditions/trauma/fractures_ankle.html

missmyzte
03-02-2005, 01:22 AM
"They had me lifting so many weights," Johnson said, "I thought they were getting me ready for the center position."

So that's the Spurs answer for what to do about Rasho? :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2005, 02:40 AM
He passed time by studying the team's playbook and watching film with former Spurs forward Monty Williams. Williams, who is interning with the team's coaching staff, occasionally has invited Johnson to his house.

I guess he's done recruiting for Doc Rivers...

mattyc
03-02-2005, 06:14 AM
I'm still keen to see The Third do well in a Spurs jersey. Something about the concept of a project player that is willing to work is interesting to follow.

Rummpd
03-02-2005, 01:02 PM
has anyone seen him play ever?

timvp
03-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Saw him in summer league. He was a really good teammate and was helping the Bulls' rookies with the sets and how to handle the small things like checking in, where to stand on jump balls, etc. He has good size, long arms and is very athletic. He threw down some nice dunks. His offense isn't too great in that he doesn't have anything more than a dunk and a low-percentage jumper in his arsenal right now. But his defense and athletic ability alone should allow him to make it as a Spur. Oh yeah, he's also a fantastic rebounder for a small forward.

T Park
03-02-2005, 04:52 PM
oh yeah hes a small forward that can guard Marion, Rashard Lewis, and others.

It would be cool if the third could make it this year, but I doubt it.