PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Johnson Knows Memphis Isn’t Right Situation

duncan228
01-24-2009, 10:39 PM
NBA: Johnson knows Memphis isn’t right situation (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/NBA_Johnson_knows_Memphis_isnt_right_situation.htm l)
Mike Monroe - Express-News

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley swears he never made a firm, five-year offer to former Mavericks coach Avery Johnson (below) to replace Marc Iavaroni, and we believe him.

Heisley says Johnson made it clear, through intermediaries, that he had no interest in coaching the Grizzlies, so negotiations ended before they began.

What this tells me is that Johnson is smarter than a lot of former coaches who are itching to get back on the job. The Grizzlies have a talented young roster — Rudy Gay, O.J. Mayo, Marc Gasol, Hakim Warrick and Mike Conley form a nice core around which a competitive team can be built — but Johnson understands that real success in the NBA requires a combination that includes a fan base willing to pay the price to build a championship roster.

There’s a lot to like about Memphis: Beale Street, blues, barbecue and Elvis.

I’m just not sure there is a big enough fan base and corporate structure to provide what a major pro sports franchise needs, especially in a recession.

It appears the Little General had the same concerns, and now the fans who have remained loyal to a chronically bad Grizzlies team wonder why the best Heisley can do is to re-hire Lionel Hollins, who will be making his third appearance as the franchise’s head coach, and who went 18-46 in his two previous tries, both on an interim basis.

“You can’t always play to the crowd,” Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace told the Memphis Commercial Appeal. “You have to do what’s best.”

Give the Grizzlies credit: They wanted to do what’s best, which would have been hiring Johnson.

Give Johnson credit for understanding he is better off waiting for a better opportunity.

m33p0
01-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Give Johnson credit for understanding he is not that good a coach.

mogrovejo
01-24-2009, 10:45 PM
True. Memphis is not the right situation for Johnson. However, he would have been the right coach to Memphis. Money usually solves this kind of paradoxes, so history would be different if Cuban wasn't paying.

Bob Lanier
01-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Avery Johnson is a real prick-tease.

galvatron3000
01-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Funny the day before all this I was saying Avery would be great for them only if he was backed by the front office. He could have develped that team into something speial given the chance, but he made a smart decision. If the Mavs had put the right players with Johnson annd been willing to part with Dirk and not Devin he may have done something there too but they didn't buy into his style so the players got their wish but will not win with the group there.

Avery may have learned to back off a bit too or hopefully give more room for error and correct the players accordingly. He'll land somewhere because teams know he can lead a team..

Findog
01-24-2009, 11:23 PM
If the Mavs had put the right players with Johnson annd been willing to part with Dirk and not Devin he may have done something there too but they didn't buy into his style so the players got their wish but will not win with the group there.

Two things:

1) Devin will never be the player Dirk has been in his prime, so it's folly to choose Devin over Dirk.

2) Avery wanted Devin gone. Don't comment on other teams when you don't know what you're talking about.

SenorSpur
01-25-2009, 12:56 AM
Avery hates young players anyway. He would've just convinced Chris Wallace to trade them all away for over-the-hill veterans.

galvatron3000
01-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Two things:

1) Devin will never be the player Dirk has been in his prime, so it's folly to choose Devin over Dirk.

2) Avery wanted Devin gone. Don't comment on other teams when you don't know what you're talking about.

I've only heard Avery wanted to keep Devin, the only place I've heard otherwise is from fans. Furthermore, I never said Devin was the player Dirk was in his prime, that's laughable you even got that from my statement. What I did say is that they should be willing to part with Dirk and Devin is young and obviously up and coming and a point guard, which seems to be the call of the day now. Avery was going in a direction with the Mavs that I still feel Dirk never fit into thus I suggest trading him among other reason.

Now the next time you try to call me out make sure you read and get understanding then we can talk and debate on mature terms. I bet you see it my way now, admit it.

layupdrill
01-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Avery will get another shot, and there will probably be more coaches fired after the season ends. There is probably a situation he is watching to see how it plays out(Clippers?)

jack sommerset
01-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Don't be fooled by Averys Resume. He has a championship ring. Thats a HUGE joke. I know this is Spew homerland but the 99 season was a fucking joke. Strike season,players were not signed,50 game season,playing a game every other night,they had two weeks to get the race started to the finish line. I am going to stop. The season was a joke.

His winning percentage as a coach. JOKE. He took over a winning team in its prime. When crunch time came and you needed a coach he failed and failed bad.

He was not a very good point guard for NBA standards, he played with Robinson and some Duncan. That will help any point guard. (Parker will look like shit when Duncan is gone,don't comment,just wait) He landed in the perfect situation for a coach.

If you go by his resume you think you have a Hall of Famer. Don't be fooled.

layupdrill
01-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Who would think Avery is a Hall of Famer?

jack sommerset
01-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Who would think Avery is a Hall of Famer?

Exaggeration but you see how he led the NCAA is assist his last year in college,played 15-16 years in the league, has a ring, known as the little general on a team that stars were Robinson then Duncan,coaching record is what I was really referencing to being in the hall of fame,fastest coach to win 150 games,2006 coach of the year,finals berth same year,.730 percent winning, his resume looks pretty fucking good was my point and people should not be fooled by it.

galvatron3000
01-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Exaggeration but you see how he led the NCAA is assist his last year in college,played 15-16 years in the league, has a ring, known as the little general on a team that stars were Robinson then Duncan,coaching record is what I was really referencing to being in the hall of fame,fastest coach to win 150 games,2006 coach of the year,finals berth same year,.730 percent winning, his resume looks pretty fucking good was my point and people should not be fooled by it.

because he got guys to buy into defense for a season then they boughtout and as far as the Finals go, Dirk didnt show up not Avery which is why they don't have a ring against an overrated Heat team they should have beat. Aery is a good coach like him or not. He just likes to control every play and he needs to learn when to let go of the reigns.

Dirk is a great player but some greats don't need to be the main man, he needs to be number 2 like scottie to Jordan, as good as Pippen was and Garnett too. I could name a few otherrs but these examples serve well

Pelicans78
01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Byron Scott does not like young players either. He traded JR Smith, let Brandon Bass go, and has now benched Julian Wright. Wright didn't play the whole 2nd half against the TWolves even though his +/- was +9 in the first half. Instead Ryan Bowen got all the minutes in the 4th quarter and the Hornets were outscored by 10 that quarter.

Findog
01-25-2009, 02:32 PM
because he got guys to buy into defense for a season then they boughtout and as far as the Finals go, Dirk didnt show up not Avery which is why they don't have a ring against an overrated Heat team they should have beat. Aery is a good coach like him or not. He just likes to control every play and he needs to learn when to let go of the reigns.

Avery was horribly outcoached by Riley. Dirk was good in the Finals, Wade was great.

Findog
01-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Now the next time you try to call me out make sure you read and get understanding then we can talk and debate on mature terms. I bet you see it my way now, admit it.

No. Nothing you've said in this thread remotely makes sense.

galvatron3000
01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
No. Nothing you've said in this thread remotely makes sense.

then we two should not have anything to discuss

galvatron3000
01-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Byron Scott does not like young players either. He traded JR Smith, let Brandon Bass go, and has now benched Julian Wright. Wright didn't play the whole 2nd half against the TWolves even though his +/- was +9 in the first half. Instead Ryan Bowen got all the minutes in the 4th quarter and the Hornets were outscored by 10 that quarter.

I think Byron didn't like JR. Scott is old school so he puts demands on players an immature players will have a problem with his style. You maybe right, he may not like young guys but I thin it's immature young guys or guys who can't follow whatever his guidelines are. He had trouble with Kidd too, for what it's worth

BUMP
01-25-2009, 03:26 PM
His winning percentage as a coach. JOKE. He took over a winning team in its prime.

a winning team in its prime? he took this team to its prime we just came off of a first round exit the year before. going 16-4 his first 20 games is a joke? and then led a team who had never been to the Finals, to the Finals his first full year was a joke?

When crunch time came and you needed a coach he failed and failed bad.

really? when was this? without him we dont get past San Antonio and make our run to the Finals. yeah he messed up against GS, but that was a team that went 3-0 vs us in the reg. season and were better head to head than we were. Dirk played like shit that series.

people think that the Mavericks just plopped in a head coach when everything was going great for them and he just went along for the ride. he had prepared to be a head coach his whole career, teammates in san antonio even nicknamed him coach cause they knew he'd be one someday. there's no doubt in my mind that if he is put in a situation where the community can support him, he will succeed greatly. the man knows how to lead like no other

Pelicans78
01-25-2009, 03:40 PM
I think Byron didn't like JR. Scott is old school so he puts demands on players an immature players will have a problem with his style. You maybe right, he may not like young guys but I thin it's immature young guys or guys who can't follow whatever his guidelines are. He had trouble with Kidd too, for what it's worth

JR Smith was immature, but if you draft somebody, then its your job to develop him. JR started alot of games his rookie and was the go-to guy in a 18-64 season. The next season we draft CP3, DWest comes back from an injury and becomes the go-to guy so Smith is kinda lost. He gets in Scott's doghouse and is traded in the offseason in where he was basically a throwaway in the Chandler for P.J. Brown deal. I think Scott could have handled that situation differently and used Bass as well who was a 2nd round pick in the CP3 draft.

jack sommerset
01-25-2009, 08:12 PM
a winning team in its prime? he took this team to its prime we just came off of a first round exit the year before. going 16-4 his first 20 games is a joke? and then led a team who had never been to the Finals, to the Finals his first full year was a joke?

really? when was this? without him we dont get past San Antonio and make our run to the Finals. yeah he messed up against GS, but that was a team that went 3-0 vs us in the reg. season and were better head to head than we were. Dirk played like shit that series.

people think that the Mavericks just plopped in a head coach when everything was going great for them and he just went along for the ride. he had prepared to be a head coach his whole career, teammates in san antonio even nicknamed him coach cause they knew he'd be one someday. there's no doubt in my mind that if he is put in a situation where the community can support him, he will succeed greatly. the man knows how to lead like no other

Are you kidding me? The guy took over the team in its freaken PRIME. Don Nelson preached OFFENSE, thats what the guy did. He built that team. Brought in Terry, letting Nash go,drafting Devin Harris,trading for Stackhose,signed Dampier,drafting and MAKING Josh Howard etc. Nelson did everything.

Avery pops in ,preaches defense,defense,defense. What a cheerleader! What a genius! Give me a freaken break. That defense broke down(never was good) in the finals. Ask the Spew fans about the 2006 series they played the Mavs in. If it was not for Mangoo the wild beast fouling Dirk, the Mavs would never had made the finals. Then Wade killed them in finals. One freaken guy (not done shit since) destroyed Avery's powerful Defense. Thats hysterical.

The following year after Mr Cheerleader got his team to win 67 games get blown out by the 8th seed. Defense is such a fucking joke. What a Avery myth.

Avery 100 percent was down with the Kidd trade and what does he do when he gets him. Nothing. He does nothing with him. Avery sucks. That team has lost itself and Avery played apart. You give him credit how bout his failures?Huge ass FAILURES.