PDA

View Full Version : We're Number 3!!! We're Number 3!!

Duff McCartney
01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/top-25-fittest-and-fattest-cities-in-the-u-s-351934/

Top 25 fittest and fattest cities in the U.S.

Sure, obesity is a problem in this country, but when you think fat, you probably don't think Miami. So you may be surprised to find Men's Fitness magazine ranks Miami as the nation's fattest city in its annual survey. The fittest? Salt Lake City.

So what about the South Beach Diet... and all those buff bodies you always see in the ocean-side metropolis? Even though Miami has a high number of health-food stores per capita, Men's Fitness found it also has nearly three times the fast-food restaurants as the average city. And while there are 79 percent more gyms and health clubs than average, residents are less likely to regularly use their memberships. Not many residents take advantage of outdoor activities, either.

On the other end of the spectrum... Salt Lake City got top marks for being the fittest city because of its abundance of park space, athletically motivated residents, and below- average obesity rates. It ranks highest in the survey in the number of people who take part in activities like beach volleyball, racquetball, aerobics, hiking, basketball, yoga, tai chi, swimming, cycling, running, and kickboxing.

As for the rest of the country, here are the top 25 fittest and fattest cities according to Men's Fitness:

Top Fittest Cities

1. Salt Lake City, UT
2. Colorado Springs, CO
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. Denver, CO
5. Albuquerque, NM
6. Portland, OR
7. Honolulu, HI
8. Seattle, WA
9. Omaha, NE
10. Virginia Beach, VA
11. Milwaukee, WI
12. San Francisco, CA
13. Tucson, AZ
14. Boston, MA
15. Cleveland, OH
16. St. Louis, MO
17. Austin, TX
18. Washington, DC
19. Sacramento, CA
20. Oakland, CA
21. Atlanta, GA
22. Fresno, CA
23. Tampa, FL
24. Nashville-Davidson, TN
25. Pittsburgh, PA

Top Fattest Cities

1. Miami, FL
2. Oklahoma City, OK
3. San Antonio, TX
4. Las Vegas, NV
5. New York, NY
6. Houston, TX
7. El Paso, TX
8. Jacksonville, FL
9. Charlotte, NC
10. Louisville-Jefferson, KY
11. Memphis, TN
12. Detroit, MI
13. Chicago, IL
14. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
15. San Jose, CA
16. Tulsa, OK
17. Baltimore, MD
18. Columbus, OH
19. Raleigh, NC
20. Philadelphia, PA
21. L.A.-Long Beach, CA
22. Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
23. Indianapolis, IN
24. San Diego, CA
25. Kansas City, MO

J.T.
01-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Fuck Miami, dethroning SA like that.

IronMexican
01-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Sorry for you guys getting dethroned like that.

Rapper
01-25-2009, 11:53 AM
How about China's cities?

Duff McCartney
01-25-2009, 12:32 PM
You can't have a fat country when a good portion of China suffers from malnutrition.

But don't worry if your economy becomes as big as ours...complacency, fast food, and general lack of physical labor will have you competing with the United States as the fattest nation on earth.

boutons_
01-25-2009, 12:34 PM
New Orleans was always a contenda, if not winna. Now not on the list.

Did Katrina chase all the fatties to Houston and SA?

balli
01-25-2009, 12:35 PM
#1 fittest! That's right bitches! Obviously it's only because the mormons live like nazis, but still, ain't no fattys here besides my joints. :smokin

j-6
01-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Strange how San Francisco and Oakland make the fit list and San Jose makes the fat one.

CuckingFunt
01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Strange how San Francisco and Oakland make the fit list and San Jose makes the fat one.

Not surprising if you've spent a significant amount of time in all three cities. Their lifestyles/living styles are completely different.

jack sommerset
01-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I always laugh at the fat fucks of SA. As a group they just don't give a fuck. They eat ,eat and eat. Don't work out. The city officials ought to hold meetings on how to get the citizens to care about their health (lol@smoking bans,lose weight first fat fucks) try to get LA Fitness to lower its fees or any fitness center.

Perhaps instead of food stamps they hand out to those fat fucks they can strike a deal with Nutrasystem and have them mail the meals to them. Ban tortias. What is it, 5-1 Mexican restaurants? Might be a problem.

There is no excuse for being so fucking fat. We are not talking 10-15-20 lbs over weight. You that live there know how fat people are in SA, those who donot, let me tell ya, it takes70-80-90-100 lbs over weight to be 3rd on this list. It is nasty. 10 years I lived in that filth full of fat fucks. A entire city cannot say they are big boned.

So many fat fucks makes for a pretty good support group for each other. When most of ur friends are fat you don't feel as bad. Its one fat city. You walk down the river walk, the majority of skinny folks are tourist. Thank the Military stationed in SA or that city would be number 1 in fat.

The amount of beer these fat fucks drink is unreal. I have never looked at beer sales for SA but it has to right up there. These fat fucks drink some freaken beer.6-7 beers is usually a good night for the normal drinker. A real good night. I have seen time after time after time these fat fucks drink 18-20 beers no problem. They have little partys at their houses and just drink. I'm talking all day.

I have been in Plano now for 3 years. I have not gone to a kids party here in Plano that had beer. Not 1. I cannot think of 1 time I have been to a kids b-day party that did not serve beer in SA. You would think 1-2 hours they can live without their beer. Nope. I was talking to a friend in SA about this the other day, about some differences between SA,Plano and other places I lived. She laughed. She said we had our 5 year kids b-day party at our house and people stayed over to 1-2 am drunk off there butts. Typical. Nothing new.

Sex for these fat fucks HAS to be disgusting. Noway you can convince me fat fucks have good sex. There is noway. I understand for those fat fucks after years of being fat a pinky once a month might feel golden but reality is you are missing out.

I feel sorry for the gynecologist in SA. They must wake up every day kicking themselves. What a great job that sounded like when they were in college. They have surveys for suicides sorted out by professions. I have a feeling somewhere in the mix are the gynecolgist of SA.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Wait, Mexican restaurants in a city 150 miles from the border and in a city with a predominately Hispanic background? I'm shocked.

Shocked that it appears to be that much of a shock to you. What's next? Irish pubs in Boston?

jack sommerset
01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Wait, Mexican restaurants in a city 150 miles from the border and in a city with a predominately Hispanic background? I'm shocked.

Shocked that it appears to be that much of a shock to you. What's next? Irish pubs in Boston?

HAHAHAHA. Thats what you got t of that. Nothing shocking about that amigo. I am saying there are other foods to eat. Just because you are 150 miles from the border does not mean you have to eat tortias for breakfast,lunch and dinner. Eat something healthy for crying out loud.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-25-2009, 01:23 PM
BTW, Jack, I'm not disagreeing with a ton of your assessment. Being an overweight resident myself, I understand, but your vitriol is laughable.

I do wonder about Men's Fitness' assessment, though.

http://www.mensfitness.com/lifestyle/206

Residents of San Antonio are 65 percent less likely than average to ski, the 4th lowest rate of any city in our survey.

I can't imagine many people in a relatively poorer town are hightailing it to the mountains to hit the slopes.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-25-2009, 01:25 PM
HAHAHAHA. Thats what you got t of that. Nothing shocking about that amigo. I am saying there are other foods to eat. Just because you are 150 million miles from the border does not mean you have to it tortias for breakfast,lunch and dinner. Eat something healthy for crying out loud.

Again, not disagreeing with you... more restaurants means more people eating at them. More Mexican restaurants = more people eating there.

Frenzy
01-25-2009, 01:27 PM
i lived in sa all my life.

not fat :) but yeah i see people more willing to buy a taco than a nutra bar in the morning.

jack sommerset
01-25-2009, 01:27 PM
plano? :lmao

Obvious you have not been here. I grew up in Glens Falls NY. I was born in LA California and lived in Texas for about 13 years. Few compare to San Antonio in the fat category.

Austin my friend is on the fittest list. Kind of blows ur theory about Plano being near Dallas and Oklahoma, doesn't it? Like I said SA has a HUGE support group that makes excuse for being so fucking fat. 4cc's attempt was another one. SA is fucking fat. Help each other out.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Obvious you have not been here.

I might be wrong, but I think 4cc lives in Austin or the Metroplex, so...

jack sommerset
01-25-2009, 01:55 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/ip1oqq.jpg

No

Dude,DUDE. Please. Be reasonable. Look around Plano. Lots of people in Plano, over 200,000. You will not see that many fat asses.Then go to San Antonio. Huge difference and I am not talking population. Literally. I have 2 1/2 years invested in Plano. Thats it. No loyality what so ever. SA is fucking FAT. I see fat people around Dallas. I also see fat people in Austin and Plano. I donot need a survey to tell me anything about SA being fucking fat. It is.Its fucking disgusting fat. I am shocked its not number one.

MiamiHeat
01-25-2009, 02:57 PM
not surprised. Miami is the most overrated city i know of. half the time you go out to eat, you find some fucking turd who can't speak english very well. 90+% of all restaurants here serve the SAME FUCKING THING.

rice
beans
- chicken or steak

rinse and repeat. all the fucking time. a plate with a huge mound of rice and beans.

i can't fucking stand salsa music and i hate loud cubans. hurricanes fucking suck, it's always fucking hot, there is never any snow in winter (i love having seasons, not SUMMER EVERY FUCKING DAY all the fucking time).

if you like shitty beaches, then go right ahead to the same overrated beach called south beach. the water full of that shitty sea weed crap floating everywhere that as soon as you get into the water, you have to find a good spot to be free of the seaweed. overcrowded beaches, and the fucking police is there all the goddamn time waiting to pull you over. i don't even go there anymore.

I am moving the fuck out of here soon as the finances agree with me (got a good thing going here) and my wifey finishes her degree

mrsmaalox
01-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Here's a primer for those unacquainted with the OK-TX border

http://i44.tinypic.com/10dsbhg.jpg

:lmao

mrsmaalox
01-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Dude,DUDE. Please. Be reasonable. Look around Plano. Lots of people in Plano, over 200,000. You will not see that many fat asses.Then go to San Antonio. Huge difference and I am not talking population. Literally. I have 2 1/2 years invested in Plano. Thats it. No loyality what so ever. SA is fucking FAT. I see fat people around Dallas. I also see fat people in Austin and Plano. I donot need a survey to tell me anything about SA being fucking fat. It is.Its fucking disgusting fat. I am shocked its not number one.

San Antonio: The median income for a household in the city is $36,214, and the median income for a family is $53,100. 17.3% of the population and 14.0% of families are below the poverty line.

Plano: According to a 2008 estimate, the median income for a household in the city was $84,942, and the median income for a family was $115,372. About 3.0% of families and 4.3% of the population were below the poverty line.

MiamiHeat
01-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Plano's population : 220,000

San Antonio's : 1,300,000

There is the reason for your economic difference.

jack sommerset
01-25-2009, 05:36 PM
San Antonio: The median income for a household in the city is $36,214, and the median income for a family is $53,100. 17.3% of the population and 14.0% of families are below the poverty line.

Plano: According to a 2008 estimate, the median income for a household in the city was $84,942, and the median income for a family was $115,372. About 3.0% of families and 4.3% of the population were below the poverty line.

You would think less money would equal a less waist line. Like I said, the city should make a deal with Nutrasystem and stop giving them food stamps.

Melmart1
01-25-2009, 06:17 PM
What amazes me the most about jack's posts isn't just the intense vitriol he has for a city he doesn't even live in anymore (letting go is the first step to recovery), but the fact that he could live here for over 10 years and not know how to spell 'tortillas' properly.

jack sommerset
01-25-2009, 07:51 PM
What amazes me the most about jack's posts isn't just the intense vitriol he has for a city he doesn't even live in anymore (letting go is the first step to recovery), but the fact that he could live here for over 10 years and not know how to spell 'tortillas' properly.

Its because I care. 10 years invested,friends,my first house,I was married there (of course not a SA women), I still go once a month for work. I'll be there Tueday for a funeral. A close friend of my died. My baby was born is SA. 10 years you have history.

I know alot about San Antonio. I have friends that I will be close to the rest of my life that love San Antonio. I also have seen many,many,many people get the fuck out of San Antonio because it disgust them as much as it does me.

The one thing I hear the most that keep people in San Antonio is the cost of living is cheap. Thats for sure. I was able to save because of that. I spend a hell of alot more but its worth it.

I made my final decision not only for me but my baby. Plano is not perfect or anywhere we will live but there was no way in hell I was going to have a majority of that town have a influence my kid. Thats the truth. The city was pretty gross when I first moved there and its getting worse.

If I can help one person here lose that fucking fat I will feel good about myself.

Trainwreck2100
01-25-2009, 08:09 PM
You would think less money would equal a less waist line. Like I said, the city should make a deal with Nutrasystem and stop giving them food stamps.

why would anyone the think that? The cheaper foods are usually the bad ones

jack sommerset
01-25-2009, 08:15 PM

I'm just saying you would think hardly any money they would be eatting light. Soup and shit. Fact is food stamps can by twinkies.

Melmart1
01-25-2009, 09:17 PM

This is absolutely true. I used to work at two different HEBs ... the one at Fred@ West Ave. and the one at 10 and De Zavala.

The one on Fred Rd., you could have a whole basket of food and the cost would be say $60 because it was full of the cheap stuff ... ground beef, chicken leg quarters, ramen noodles, beans, rice, tortillas, manteca, etc. Some of it is cultural and some of it is that fact that these things are waaaay cheaper.

A basket filled to the same capacity on De Zavala would cost nearly twice as much. Instead of ground beef, steak. Instead of leg quarters, boneless skinless chicken breasts. Instead of ramen noodles, whole wheat pasta ... you get the idea.

Which one is healthier? But which one costs twice as much? A brick of manteca costs 1/4 of that bottle of organic expellor-pressed canola oil. Things laden with high fructose corn syrup are much cheaper than a low-cal sugar substitute.

Now, before the fatty haters bring more wrath, understand that I am not making excuses for overweight people. But the assumption that being poor means eating soup or that twinkies bought on food stamps is making San Antonio fat is pretty off.

baseline bum
01-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Here's a primer for those unacquainted with the OK-TX border

http://i44.tinypic.com/10dsbhg.jpg

:lmao

phyzik
01-25-2009, 10:00 PM
I wont be satisfied until we are number 1 again dammit! get to work you lazy bastards!

phyzik
01-25-2009, 10:06 PM
seriously though, this shit needs to stop. The problem is that the numbers are scewed. We get a LARGE majority of immigrants from the Laredo border that get citizenship and stay in SA because its so close to home.

Thats no excuse though, we have WAY to many jalisco's in this city. you cant go a block without seeing one. Its fucking disgusting when you think about it. I get there are medical issues with some people but dont tell me thats the reason. San Antonio isnt the only city in America that has that disease. People need to learn restraint about feeding their kids chorizo taco's and mountain dew every fucking day.

If people here in town took the same conviction about strip clubs and smoking bans and applied them to fat farms (Jalisco's and other mexican resturants) then this city would be in a much better state.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-25-2009, 10:27 PM
how can new orleans not be on the fat list?

MiamiHeat
01-25-2009, 11:16 PM
how can new orleans not be on the fat list?

hurricane put mcdonalds out of business in the area lol. all the obese people ran away

ShoogarBear
01-26-2009, 12:18 AM
I have to admit, when I come home to SA I can go for days without seeing another runner on the streets.

Trainwreck2100
01-26-2009, 12:26 AM
I have to admit, when I come home to SA I can go for days without seeing another runner on the streets.

I run at least three times a day the streets 2.5 miles and today i did a 5k on the treadmill in 37 min. The big problem in this town is it's a bitch to bike/run cause you're in constant fear of being hit by the crappy drivers here

ShoogarBear
01-26-2009, 12:31 AM
I run at least three times a day

No wonder you can't get laid.

The big problem in this town is it's a bitch to bike/run cause you're in constant fear of being hit by the crappy drivers here

That is true. There are very few good places to run. Especially downtown. If I'm there, I usually end up doing laps around the Alamodome.

Trainwreck2100
01-26-2009, 12:34 AM
meant three times a week

slayermin
01-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Hey, I dropped 40lbs since I've been back so it's not the environment or food. And I love Tex-Mex food. It's all about your mindset. Most of my friends that are over weight are settled down and have a family.

All my single friends are fit as hell. They either work their asses off or they workout or both.

mogrovejo
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Heh, Americans talking smack about whose city has more fatties... this is like another version of the "Who're the biggest losers: Suns or Mavs?" thread.

Dex
01-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Wasn't Austin like #1 on one of these lists not long ago? May have just been a different survey.

And yes, there ARE fat people in Austin. There are fat people everywhere. But after being here for a couple years now, you DEFINITELY see less obesity in general.
Replace the fat people walking around with joggers and bikers, and the Mexican food joint on every block with some hippie shop, and I guess that's what happens.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Albuquerque is the 5th fittest because no one here can afford to eat.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Exactly how big of a percentage would you say are obese in San Antonio? I've read a few figures but they seem a little unrealistic to me. I just find it hard to believe that a whole city can have over 50% of its citizens qualify as obese.

EDIT: My bad, it was over 50% are overweight not obese. The obese percentage is supposed to be around 30%. Still incredible though