PDA

View Full Version : Best Food in San Antonio

Dex
03-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Inspired by the Goomba's post...even though this has probably been done before.

Where are you FAVORITE places to get great grub around town? I'm always lookin' for a new place to get a good bite to eat.

Mexican? Chinese? Italian? Pizza?

For the best breakfast tacos in town, I recommend Cristan's (a few locations off of San Pedro, Rittiman, Hildebrand, Midcrown by Walzem, etc.) Awesome, awesome Mexican food, but they close early. Breakfast only. Definitely worth checking out.

My favorite place for Chinese is a place off of Thousand Oaks (near Jones Maltsberger) called Full House Chinese. I know the name sounds suspect, but they have the best sesame chicken evAr. Everybody I know who goes to try it ends up coming back for more, and if you look around the restaurant at any given time, at least half the people there are bound to be eating it. Plus, if you go before 3, you can catch the lunch special and get soup, a plate, and a side all for 6 bucks plus tip. Definite bang worth your buck right there.

I gotta go now, so I'll open it up to the forum and check back with more later.

bigzak25
03-02-2005, 11:19 AM
@ timvp and Kori's pad!

that woman can cook, man... :smokin

NeoConIV
03-02-2005, 11:47 AM
I used to rave about Thai Chili, but they have this new cook that cooks about half the time there now. He's nowhere near as good as Chef Chai...So I can't really make a strong recommendation knowing there's a 50% chance you'll get the sub par 'other guy'

Thai Palace on Stone Oak is the only Thai buffet in town and the quality is excellent.

Went to La Fogata recently, hadn't been there in awhile. Shazam! That was the bomb.

Longhorn Cafe freaking rules.

tekdragon
03-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Chris Madrid's
Rolando's
Minit Taco (on Roosevelt, across from the Drive-in)
Gordo's (on Pleasanton)
Twin Sisters
Bombay Bicycle Club (for the Black Cherry Margaritas and the Scotch Eggs)
Zingaro's (are they still open?)
Las Plazas (Vance Jackson, West of La Fogata)

It's so hard to hit all these places when I'm in town...but I usually find a way...

Dex
03-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Longhorn Cafe freaking rules.

good call.

Mark in Austin
03-02-2005, 12:32 PM
upscale - Reggianos at Stone Oak Pkwy and 1604 is damn good.

KEDA
03-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Steakhouse - Barn Door

Breakfast - Jims, Magnolia Pancake Haus, Waffle House(is there one in SA?)

Chinese - Sun Sun, Ming Court, Buffet King

Italian - Carabbas, Restauante Grissini, Aldinos

Seafood - Papadeaux, Sea Island

BBQ - Rudy's, Bill Miller

Mongolian BBQ - Fire Hut

Sandwiches/Deli - Maliks (centimental choice) Steak Escape, or Subway

Hamburgers - Chris Madrids, Chesters, Longhorn Cafe

Ill think of others and post!

blackbucket
03-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Tex Mex - Tomatillos on Broadway
Burgers - Chris Madrid's on Blanco
Grill - EZ's Brick Oven Grill all around town
Tex Mex Cuisine - Acenar on Houston
Chinese - Fire Wok at the Huebner Oak Shopping Center
Chinese (to go) - Panda Express all around town
Fine Dining - Biga on the Banks on S. St. Marys
Atmosphere/Casual - Gristmill in Gruene

Duff McCartney
03-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Chachos.

KEDA
03-02-2005, 01:00 PM
I had an issue with Tomatillos once

I caught them re-using tortillas, so now if I go to a mexican restauant and I dont finish my tortillas, I tear them up so they cant be "recycled"

BTW this was about 5 years ago, and I vowed Id NEVER go back!

jalbre6
03-02-2005, 01:14 PM
If I don't make it into Blanco Cafe when I'm in SA, then I wasted a trip.

davi78239
03-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Steak House-Texas Roadhouse
Chinese-Dragon Lake
Mexican-Los Barrios
Italian-Olive Garden, Zios
Pizza-Grant Street
Fajitas-El Taco Tote(if yall haven't tried it, I highly recommend. Shit is goooood!)
Hamburgers-Fuddruckers
Seafood-Pappadeux, Barnicle Bills
Buffet-Luby's(on Walzem) Golden Coral, China Sea
BBQ-Rudy's, Grady's

Jimcs50
03-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Steakhouse - Barn Door, San Francisco Steakhouse and Ruth's Chis Steakhouse:

http://www.ruthschris.com/img/menu/header_entrees.jpg

Breakfast - Jim's

Italian - Carabbas Grill, Olive Garden, Aldinos and Zio's

Seafood - Sea Island

BBQ - Bill Miller's BBQ (SA institution)

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Steaks...my house
Barbeque...my house
Tex-Mex...ChaCha's on Bandera (not the med center location)
best brunch...Guenther House, Mad Hatters
prime rib...Budro's on the riverwalk (the blackened prime rib rocks)
best margaritas...ChaCha's again
Best burgers....Chris Madrids, Longhorn cafe on Blanco (not the Leon Springs location)
Best oriental...Sarikas (Thai)
Best breakfast tacos...Petes
Best enchiladas...Garcias...cheese enchiladas with chile con carne gravy
seafood...Bourbon Street cafe

Kori Ellis
03-02-2005, 03:24 PM
@ timvp and Kori's pad!

that woman can cook, man

Why thank you, Zak!

Mexican food -- Guajillo's on Blanco and 410.
Chinese food -- Golden Wok
Burgers -- Buck's Landing

MannyIsGod
03-02-2005, 03:25 PM
SARIKAS!!! I love that palce.

timvp
03-02-2005, 03:36 PM
My favorite place for Chinese is a place off of Thousand Oaks (near Jones Maltsberger) called Full House Chinese. I know the name sounds suspect, but they have the best sesame chicken evAr.

I'm going to have to check that out. Sesame chicken is my favorite chinese dish so I'll make a report back whether it's the best evAr.

:smokin

blackbucket
03-02-2005, 05:14 PM
I had an issue with Tomatillos once

I caught them re-using tortillas, so now if I go to a mexican restauant and I dont finish my tortillas, I tear them up so they cant be "recycled"

BTW this was about 5 years ago, and I vowed Id NEVER go back!

Flour tortillas are overrated anyway! I don't understand why Flour is so popular here in San Antonio. I like thick, corn torts myself. They have great corn tortillas (and everything else) at Taco Tote. I've been eating there for about 8 years (in Juarez, MX). I have to have a Taco Tote pack, one sirloin-one pork adobado taco, once a week. Good stuff.

MannyIsGod
03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Flour is better, but every once in a while I have to go to Chachos and get some fajita tacos on corn tortillas with lots of onions and cilantro. Just like they make them en el rancho.

JoeChalupa
03-02-2005, 05:44 PM
I have to have corn tortillas with my barbacoa.....and a Big Red.

tekdragon
03-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Amen, JoeChalupa! The perfect Sunday breakfast!

Not a big Bill Miller's fan. They'd never survive in Houston...BBQ's HUGE here. I grew up on it in SA, but once I got to Houston and tried William's Smokehouse, Yo Papa's BBQ (right next door to the incredible Yo Mama's Soul Food), Western Kitchen, and the million other Mom & Pop BBQ places here, I never went back to Bill Miller's again.

Of course, it's only fair. I almost NEVER eat Mexican food in Houston. It's just not the same. Gotta go home for the good stuff. Damn, this is making me hungry for a SuperTaco...or maybe the Macho. Damn, I miss San Antonio.

exstatic
03-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Italian - Ciao Lavenderia on Olmos drive, just west of McCullough.
Japanese - Nikki's Tokyo Inn on Hildebrand
Americana - Josephine street
Local flavor - Bracken Store (lunch) and Grumpy's (breakfast), both in Bracken.

Hook Dem
03-02-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm going to have to check that out. Sesame chicken is my favorite chinese dish so I'll make a report back whether it's the best evAr.

I was thinking the same thing LJ. Meet ya there!

timvp
03-02-2005, 07:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing LJ. Meet ya there!

:lol

Tomorrow at 6PM.

desflood
03-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Thai Taste in Leon Valley has the best satay...

KEDA
03-02-2005, 07:54 PM
:lol

Tomorrow at 6PM.

Ill be bowling league at Brunswick, like 2 mins down the road!

Better stop by!

N.Y. Johnny
03-02-2005, 10:13 PM
most every place in S.A. is great, too many to list, but stay away from Fucking Barnacle Bills, that fucking place is disgusting, i figured getting sick at 1 is a bad luck day, getting sick at 2 is a coincidence, and then at 3 locations its the whole fucking chain :lol

atlfan25
03-02-2005, 10:48 PM
godamn chesters is tha best shit in SAtown

GoldToe
03-02-2005, 11:02 PM
I don't know about the best but I like Johnny Carrino's.

Spurgal
03-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Mamacita's on IH10 & Callaghan. :elephant

MsMcGillyCutty
03-03-2005, 12:21 AM
This may sound silly but I enjoy a nice evening at Bud Jones'.
I simply love their chicken fried steak. :elephant

Spurgal
03-03-2005, 12:34 AM
This may sound silly but I enjoy a nice evening at Bud Jones'.
I simply love their chicken fried steak. :elephant

I almost forgot about that place... I agree! Bud Jones has delicious chicken fried steak. Except, I wish they had a restaurant In the NW area.

SequSpur
03-03-2005, 01:13 AM
Mamacitas is a neat place, but their food sucks.

Los Barrios, Chesters, Formosa Garden, Macaroni Grill, Rudys and Ruth Chris are my favorites.

SequSpur
03-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Bandera Bowl on Thursday nights?

Dex
03-03-2005, 01:37 AM

Do eet! Get the lunch special (L17) with hot and sour soup and crab rangoon. Don't forget to ask for the crispy noodles for the soup. :king

You people have definitely touched down on a few winners, though I certainly have a long list of new ones to try.

Los Barrios, awesome mexican food. Featured in Texas Monthly recently.

Also, if you live in San Antonio and DON'T abuse the many Las Palapas...es (Las Palapi?), than you're missin' out.

There are lot's of good burger places about. Chester's, Longhorn Cafe, Lucky Burger, Red Robin, and Cheesy Jane's all rock (the last also has some of the best milkshakes in town.)

Also fond of Fire Hut and it's many variations for the all-you-can-eat stir fry.

California Pizza Kitchen! Huebner Oaks. Awesome stuff.

Golden Phoenix on the Northeast side puts Mr. Panda and Panda Express to shame. :blah

I'm too tired to keep thinking about all this fo0d. Be back in the morning. :nerd

TheWriter
03-03-2005, 03:23 AM
Dex,

I've never been to Fire Hut

http://www.firehutgrill.com/images/outside.jpg

But I love stir fry so I'd love to go.

How big is the serving and how much?

Is it as big as the Golden Wok's stir fry bowl?

IceColdBrewski
03-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Chachos.

Yup. Chachos is the shit.

KEDA
03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Bandera Bowl on Thursday nights?

Tell Matt, Hector, Eric, and Rich to kiss my ass!

and then to call me!

KEDA
03-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Dex,

Fire Hut is an all you can eat place, you create your own stuff, they cook it for you.

IMO a VERY GOOD PLACE!!!

Dex
03-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Dex,

As Keda said, you get as much as you can stuff in your face, and then you can go back for thirds. I wanna say its like 8 bucks for lunch buffet, 11-12 for dinner.

Like any buffet, they give you a big bowl, you go by the bar and fill it up with all the stuff you want (they've got all the goods, veggies, meats, tofu, etc.), and then they fry it up for you. Great for making your own special dishes, or just throwing together random stuff and seeing what you get.

I've never been dissapointed, and I'm not even that big on oriental food/stir-fry.

If you're into stirfry, definitely give a try. Really nice place. The one in your pic is right near my house, so it's become one of my guilty pleasures. :angel

JoeChalupa
03-03-2005, 05:00 PM
I like Papa Dante's in Converse and Nappolli's in Universal City.

rl64tx
03-03-2005, 05:13 PM
La Tortillita in Cibolo has superb tex-mex!!!

SequSpur
03-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Tell Matt, Hector, Eric, and Rich to kiss my ass!

and then to call me!

You know those guys? Who the hell are you? Send me a PM. I know all of those guys. lol

Hook Dem
03-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Inspired by the Goomba's post...even though this has probably been done before.

Where are you FAVORITE places to get great grub around town? I'm always lookin' for a new place to get a good bite to eat.

Mexican? Chinese? Italian? Pizza?

For the best breakfast tacos in town, I recommend Cristan's (a few locations off of San Pedro, Rittiman, Hildebrand, Midcrown by Walzem, etc.) Awesome, awesome Mexican food, but they close early. Breakfast only. Definitely worth checking out.

My favorite place for Chinese is a place off of Thousand Oaks (near Jones Maltsberger) called Full House Chinese. I know the name sounds suspect, but they have the best sesame chicken evAr. Everybody I know who goes to try it ends up coming back for more, and if you look around the restaurant at any given time, at least half the people there are bound to be eating it. Plus, if you go before 3, you can catch the lunch special and get soup, a plate, and a side all for 6 bucks plus tip. Definite bang worth your buck right there.

I gotta go now, so I'll open it up to the forum and check back with more later.
Went to Full House Chinese on your recommendation tonight. The sesame chicken was very good. I would rate it a 9 on a scale of 1-10 but I think Golden Wok is still a little better. Besides Golden Wok has a dish called Chung Bo Steak and it is to die for. If I'm in a hurry and don't want to drive the distance, I would definetely go back to Full House. Thanks for the recommendation. TimVP.....you'll like the sesame chicken there.

Hook Dem
03-03-2005, 09:33 PM
"Los Barrios, awesome mexican food. Featured in Texas Monthly recently.".................................................. ................... Simply the best mexican food in S.A.

timvp
03-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Went to Full House Chinese on your recommendation tonight. The sesame chicken was very good. I would rate it a 9 on a scale of 1-10 but I think Golden Wok is still a little better. Besides Golden Wok has a dish called Chung Bo Steak and it is to die for. If I'm in a hurry and don't want to drive the distance, I would definetely go back to Full House. Thanks for the recommendation. TimVP.....you'll like the sesame chicken there.

Nice. We'll have to try it out.

Brodels
03-03-2005, 10:50 PM
What exactly is a breakfast taco? Do you take eggs and bacon and wrap it up? What's the difference between a breakfast taco and a breakfast burrito?

Guru of Nothing
03-03-2005, 10:51 PM
I have not read this entire thread, but here are my comments. Keep in mind I have not lived in SA for the past 4 years.

Favorites: Casbeers (Burgers and white-boy enchiladas), HEB Central Market, Los Barrios (Mexican), The Little Red Barn (Steak House), Earl Abel's (Sunday Morning Breakfast - after sleeping), The Pig Stand (Sunday morning breakfast - before sleeping)the Barbeque Station, Twin Sisters on New Braunfels (my favorite breakfast in SA), Sunset Restaurant on Broadway (The breakfast tacos will make you uber gordo - although, a friend of mine swore the best breakfast tacos were at a joint on Hildebrand between San Pedro and Blanco), Billy-Ts on Austin Highway (Onion Rings), Beto's Latin Grill (empanadas and grilled portobellos), and, for seafood, Waterstreet on Broadway was always good enough for me. My favorite Chinese restaurant was always this quiet, super clean joint near the Waterstreet on Broadway, behind the Albertsons. I can't remember the name. Last but not least, The Picante Grill on Broadway was my favorite Mexican restaurant, more so than Los Barrios. Their menu was not fancy in the least, but the food was soooo good.

Certainly, I am forgetting a few places.

Dex
03-03-2005, 11:31 PM

Glad you enjoyed it.

I'll need to hit up Golden Wok so0n. I'll feel a little ackward ordering anything called Chung Bo Steak :angel ...but I'll have to give that one a try.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Golden Wok is great. Everything from their Potstickers to their Mongolian Beef is awesome.

Dex
03-03-2005, 11:35 PM
What exactly is a breakfast taco? Do you take eggs and bacon and wrap it up? What's the difference between a breakfast taco and a breakfast burrito?

A breakfast taco is smaller than a breakfast burrito?

Really, I think they're both just eggs, cheese, and bacon/ham/chorizo/potato wrapped in a tortilla.

Hell, Whataburger calls 'em Taquitos, and I sure as hell know that ain't right. :oops

That reminds me. I would put Whataburger as one of the best (if not the best) fast-foot joint around town. I spent two weeks in California last summer, and as much fun as I had out on the coast, I was still going into withdrawals by the end of the trip. It was the first place we stopped once we crossed the Texas border into El Paso. :spin And that is the story of the best number 5 I ever had.

Dex
03-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Golden Wok is great. Everything from their Potstickers to their Mongolian Beef is awesome.

Alright. I've got to ask.

wtf is a potsticker?

Guru of Nothing
03-03-2005, 11:47 PM

I'm not an expert, but I think breakfast taco is a South Texas thing; breakfast burrito is a white folk, fast-food thing.

I'm white, so I could be wrong.

JoeChalupa
03-04-2005, 08:25 AM
A taco is "open" a burrito is "closed".

Dex
03-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Makes sense to me.

Leave it to JoeChalupa to figure this one out. :lol

davi78239
03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Forgot to mention that for chinese, Fire Wok in Huebner Oaks is pretty damn good. Their fried rice is the shit! Also, does anyone know of a good bakery in town?

IX_Equilibrium
03-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Mexican - Los Barrios or La Hacienda de Los Barrios (same owners and food, La Hacienda has a better atmosphere)

Italian - Bambino Huey Cafe

Steaks - Ruth's Chris

Thai - Thai Chili

Chinese - China Latina

American (whatever that is) - Silo's

Carribean/Puerto Rican - Azuca

Duff McCartney
03-31-2005, 06:35 PM
There is this place on the Riverwalk..called Pesca On the River. Man that place is awesome. They have some really good food there.

It looks pretty high class but it doesn't have a dress code. But the food is great....albeit slightly expensive.

Here's a description of the one part of it....the inside..it was a good day so we dined outside..

A seating option at Pesca that isn't available anywhere else in town is a stool at the seafood bar: a tantalizing display of fresh oysters, clams, and by-the-piece shrimp and crab. The raw selection changes daily, and the oysters alone are worth a week of dedicated concentration.

Spurs košarka kultura
03-31-2005, 07:36 PM
SARIKAS!!! I love that palce

YES!!!!!

Thai - Thai Chili

That used to be my dad's favorite.............but then one day a roach ran right across his table, needless to say he hasn't been there since. Besides Sarika is HOT! Where else do you get a hot waitress who owns the joint?

baseline bum
03-31-2005, 11:03 PM
A breakfast taco def isn't what you're thinking if you expect bacon and egg in a tortilla (although you can get those too in SA). A breakfast taco (SA style) is like any Mexican meat in a flour tortilla. My favs are barbacoa, chorizo & egg, carne guisada, and good old bean and cheese.

mookie2001
04-01-2005, 12:49 PM
tink a taco
tomatillos
for mexican

mookie2001
04-01-2005, 01:39 PM
goombas blows
for italian
caparellis
all the way
the one at thousand oaks and jonesmaltsberger has great service and they do you right up there

CosmicCowboy
04-01-2005, 01:41 PM
and they do you right up there

now that I am older I really prefer to be done in private...:lol

davi78239
04-01-2005, 01:41 PM
I the Pizza at Goombas good though? Grant Street's is pretty good I think.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Rosario's!

Taco
04-01-2005, 04:19 PM
What about The Malthouse on Zarzamora

Good Stuff man !!!!

bigzak25
04-01-2005, 04:28 PM
orale taco...that's my old barrio...yo y mi abuela vamos aya de tiempo a tiempo...tu sabes way...

TheTruth
07-20-2005, 05:33 AM
Forgot to mention that for chinese, Fire Wok in Huebner Oaks is pretty damn good. Their fried rice is the shit! Also, does anyone know of a good bakery in town?

:tu

Sense
07-20-2005, 06:04 AM
orale taco...that's my old barrio...yo y mi abuela vamos aya de tiempo a tiempo...tu sabes way...

wey* or buey* obviously we don't want to be called bueyes...

No se tu... pero yo no.

batman2883
07-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Cha Cho's

midgetonadonkey
07-20-2005, 09:27 AM
I don't know exactly where it is, southside somewhere, but it's a place called Oscar's. It has the best mexican food. For breakfast tacos I like My Little Taco House on south Flores.

sa_butta
07-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Mexican-Los Barrios

Burgers-Chesters

Chinese-Mei Luc (whole in the wall off Jackson Keller and West Ave.)

Italian-Carrabas

and also have to agree with BigZak, Kori is a damn good cook as well.

fraga
07-20-2005, 10:27 AM
BBQ - Bill Miller's BBQ (SA institution)
I'm sorry bro...but if you think Bill Millers makes awesome BBQ...you need to get out more...

Also forgot to add...

Pizza - Romes pizza on De Zavala...

Jekka
07-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Pizza - Romes pizza on De Zavala...

I miss living next door to that place. Excellent pizza.

My favorite place for sushi is Tokyo Inn on Hildebrand and Blanco.

Italian - I'm still a big fan of the Paesano's on Basse

And Nicavid's on Fredricksberg near Callaghan has the best BLTs in town.

GrandeDavid
07-20-2005, 12:20 PM
upscale - Reggianos at Stone Oak Pkwy and 1604 is damn good.

I hear that place is a "meat market" on Thursdays during happy hour. :lol

Taco
07-20-2005, 12:31 PM
The Malthouse!!!
the one on Zarzamora not San Pedro

tlongII
07-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Best Food in Portland:

Steaks - The Ringside
Seafood - The Oyster Bar
Chinese - Wu's Open Kitchen
BBQ - Buster's
Mexican - Lupe's Escape
Fondue - The Melting Pot

SpursFanDan
07-20-2005, 01:53 PM
two words... Uncle Barnies.. if you don't know it, you gotta try it.