PDA

View Full Version : So you guys still think we are on the Lakers level???

Jayem
01-25-2009, 05:49 PM
we beat LA on their second game of back to back without walton, famar and sasha by 1 point...and somehow you guys think we are on their level.

back to reality
:lol

z0sa
01-25-2009, 05:50 PM
i predicted in another thread a blowout means someone is being moved .. and I stand by that.

I just hope it is not Bonner or Hill going, but they may be the only ones worth jack.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Welcome back gayem.

2Cleva
When both teams are healthy the Spurs are just too small and too slow for LA.

Jayem
i predicted in another thread a blowout means someone is being moved .. and I stand by that. something needs to happen, this current spurs team isn't winning shit this year

ducks
we beat LA on their second game of back to back without, waton, famar and sasha by 1 point...and somehow you guys think we are on their level.

back to reality

spurs always play poorly early
in the playoffs I want lakers in round one:flag::hat

HarlemHeat37
01-25-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't think I've ever heard anybody say we're on LA's level..

the first game wasn't a fluke, we played a much different game than we did today..MUCH smarter offensively..

Farmar's production was replaced by the scrub Josh Powell in the first game, it's irrelevant..it's not like Sun Yue was hurting them in the few minutes he played, he even generated a turnover..

Walton and Vujacic were irrelevant in this game..

we aren't ready to play LA with this defense..we would have had a chance if Bowen actually played most of the 3rd, but he didn't..nevertheless, we aren't winning against them until we get back to playing great defense..

dbestpro
01-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Give me the whistle and we'd be right there.

Kori Ellis
01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
The Spurs aren't going to win many games when Manu, Bonner and Mason combine for 2-for-15 (or whatever) from 3.

MarHill
01-25-2009, 06:00 PM
The Spurs aren't going to win many games when Manu, Bonner and Mason combine for 2-for-15 (or whatever) from 3.

Thank You Kori!!

The Lakers did play well...but the Spurs missed a lot of shots and those three guys have to play well in order to beat LA!!

jaffies
01-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Is this guy a Spurs fan??

slayermin
01-25-2009, 06:01 PM

That is what I saw. This team needs to hit threes against the best teams and they didn't do that today.

Reck
01-25-2009, 06:02 PM
It's only January.

Quiet Strength
01-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I still think the spurs are on the same level as the lakers but not on the same level with the celtics or a healthy cleveland team.

ManuTP9
01-25-2009, 06:03 PM
no were not on the lakers level but we can improve that this season

Austin_Toros
01-25-2009, 06:04 PM
spurs are not on LA's level, but they shouldn't be too far off.
they just scraped a miraculous win in LA but that was an injured lakers team
against a full Lakers roster, I think we can see how the spurs match up...

Reck
01-25-2009, 06:05 PM
I still think the spurs are on the same level as the lakers but not on the same level with the celtics or a healthy cleveland team.

Dude, we're not even on Orlando''s level this year. Let alone Lakers.

01-25-2009, 06:05 PM

that's true but mason and bonner only had a couple open looks. no way that was enough to band aid the bleeding spurs suffered on offense. lakers perimeter defense is getting better and they definitely adjusted to mason. mason was defended pretty well so he had few open looks. lakers intimidated parker in the paint and defended the 3 well enough to take away the spurs' offense.

Quiet Strength
01-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Dude, we're not even on Orlando''s level this year. Let alone Lakers.

I wouldn't even say we're on orlandos level either but the lakers aren't impressive. The spurs can compete with them and they are capable of beating them.

benefactor
01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
No we are not on their level right now...but there is a lot of season left. Get back at me on March 12.

MarHill
01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
The Spurs need a healthy Manu to win a championship. Not just his scoring...but playmaking ability and they didn't get that today.

He's the X-Factor and if he doesn't play well....the Spurs are a good team but not a great team.

The Lakers have depth and athleticism and Kobe Bryant and the Spurs have to put the ball in the basket and as well as defend to beat them.

Showtime24 LAKERS
01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
the only team who could possibly beat us in 7, or even take us to 7 for that matter, are the cavs and celtics.

We got through your spurs rather easily last year and it didn't even take seven. This laker team is looking better than last years because of the addition of Drew and Trevor, both of whom should still get better yet as the year goes on. Not to sound cocky about or arrogant but I don't see any way the spur beat us in a seven game series-and I would sadly conceed the same if I were a Spurs fan!!

MarHill
01-25-2009, 06:11 PM
that's true but mason and bonner only had a couple open looks. no way that was enough to band aid the bleeding spurs suffered on offense. lakers perimeter defense is getting better and they definitely adjusted to mason. mason was defended pretty well so he had few open looks. lakers intimidated parker in the paint and defended the 3 well enough to take away the spurs' offense.

Sorry..they had plenty of open looks. On one possession alone in the first half..Bonner had three shots and missed them all. Mason had several open looks as well as Manu. They have to make those shots!!

Don Quixote
01-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Not even close. I think last year's 4-1 defeat in the playoffs, and this year's (thus far) Laer dominance pretty much seal the deal.

I am aware that the Silver & Black somehow beat them last month. Not sure how that happened ... they tried their best to give it to the Lakers. It came down to a lucky ref's call.

And there's simply too much talent on that Lakers squad. They are better, deeper, younger, stronger, and more talented at every position than we are (except PF, and it's close).

How many Spurs would play significant minutes on the Lakers? 3 -- Duncan would start, and Tony and Gino would come off the bench. The rest would ride the bench, if they were on the roster at all.

How many Lakers would start for the Spurs. All of em, and I mean all. Even Radmonovich.

It's not even close. Lakers are #1 in the West. The Spurs, maybe a distant second. Truth hurts.

Jayem
01-25-2009, 06:12 PM
I still think the spurs are on the same level as the lakers but not on the same level with the celtics or a healthy cleveland team.lakers are better than celtics and cavs. we aren't even on the magic's level. we are really in trouble. we need another player ASAP

no were not on the lakers level but we can improve that this seasonwe need another BIG! duncan got his ass abused by bynum and gasol just now. we'll get swept this year if we meet them in the playoffs

the first game wasn't a fluke, we played a much different game than we did today..MUCH smarter offensively..

Farmar's production was replaced by the scrub Josh Powell in the first game, it's irrelevant..it's not like Sun Yue was hurting them in the few minutes he played, he even generated a turnover..

we aren't ready to play LA with this defense..we would have had a chance if Bowen actually played most of the 3rd, but he didn't..nevertheless, we aren't winning against them until we get back to playing great defense..many spurs fans seem to think we can compete with the lakers.. come playoffs i just don't see it. they are too deep, too athletic and too good scoring.

walton still doesn't seem to be 100% and sashas solid defense was pretty relevant this game. it looked like he created a few turnovers on us. them not being in our last meet was the real reason why we won.

slayermin
01-25-2009, 06:13 PM
the only team who could possibly beat us in 7, or even take us to 7 for that matter, are the cavs and celtics.

We got through your spurs rather easily last year and it didn't even take seven. This laker team is looking better than last years because of the addition of Drew and Trevor, both of whom should still get better yet as the year goes on. Not to sound cocky about or arrogant but I don't see any way the spur beat us in a seven game series-and I would sadly conceed the same if I were a Spurs fan!!

You didn't sound so confident yesterday. Typical, fairweather Laker fan.

Biggems
The Spurs had a ton of open shots, especially from beyond the arc, they just couldnt get em to drop in. no team is going to win if they live by the jumper and those jumpers dont fall.

Don Quixote
I wouldn't even say we're on orlandos level either but the lakers aren't impressive. The spurs can compete with them and they are capable of beating them.

Half right. We're not at Orlando's level right now. But the Lakers are darn impressive.

And the Spurs ARE capable of beating the Lakers -- once in a while. Maybe 1 out of 5. But not 4 out of 7.

Jloyola

i guess the beat down you got today wasnt enough to impress you?

or how about the 4-1 series win during last year's playoffs?

Quiet Strength
lol the lakers are not better than the celtics or cavs.

Ghazi
01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
The Spurs cannot improve over the course of the season to be on the Lakers level internally, I hope people realize that. Roster acquisitions would have to be made.

Lakers seem head and shoulder above west as is though. Any series they enter they can say "we have the best player", "we have the best frontline", "we have the best offense", and perhaps even "we have the best defense" along with bench.

They're 5.5 games ahead and we're barely halfway through the season. They'll probably be #1 by 7-10 games.

ducks
01-25-2009, 06:15 PM
The Spurs cannot improve over the course of the season to be on the Lakers level internally, I hope people realize that. Roster acquisitions would have to be made.

Lakers seem head and shoulder above west as is though. Any series they enter they can say "we have the best player", "we have the best frontline", "we have the best offense", and perhaps even "we have the best defense" along with bench.

They're 5.5 games ahead and we're barely halfway through the season. They'll probably be #1 by 7-10 games.

aj thinks spurs have a chance
if manu and the rest of the spurs are healthy

but you know more then anyone

Quiet Strength
01-25-2009, 06:16 PM
i guess the beat down you got today wasnt enough to impress you?

or how about the 4-1 series win during last year's playoffs?

Last year was last year.. its over and both teams are different. The season series is 1-1 this year with one more to go. Yeah the lakers won big today but its still only one win.

Jloyola
Spurs need another Big.. a backup pass-first PG....

Right now the Spurs dont really have any trade pieces besides TD, Manu, or TP... no other team wants any of the Spur's roster.

The only thing Spurs have to trade with is.. the rights to that guy from Argentina .. Tiago Splitter

1Parker1
Every time I see the Lakers play...I swear I curse the Memphis Grizzlies. :pctoss

timvp
Right now the Lakers are obviously better. But the Spurs aren't built to be at their best at this part of the season.

That said, I don't think a time will come when the Lakers aren't the favorites in the West. The Spurs will have to improve greatly and then need to play very good basketball to beat the Lakers in a seven game series. Especially considering the fact that the Lakers will have the home court advantage.

2Cleva
01-25-2009, 06:17 PM
SA has a chance. Every team has a chance. But probability of SA beating LA with both teams healthy? 25% 40 at most maybe? No way its a coin toss.

scanry
01-25-2009, 06:17 PM

lol, scared of trolls attacking you.

BTW no way can we get past this Lakers team. They're too big and too athletic for this team.

Lakers Big men >>>>>>>>>> Spurs big men.

ducks
01-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Spurs need another Big.. a backup pass-first PG....

Right now the Spurs dont really have any trade pieces besides TD, Manu, or TP... no other team wants any of the Spur's roster.

The only thing Spurs have to trade with is.. the rights to that guy from Argentina .. Tiago Splitter

boston also wants another big
all title contenders have weakeness and want to improve

Jloyola
01-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Last year was last year.. its over and both teams are different. The season series is 1-1 this year with one more to go. Yeah the lakers won big today but its still only one win.

agree both teams are different this year! Today both teams were at Full strength even though Manu is still hurting.. and Kobe playing with 3 fingers on his shooting hand

xtremesteven33
01-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Scenarios where the Spurs get to the Finals:

-Bynum and or Gasol gets hurt
-Spurs acquire a solid big
-Lakers get knocked out of playoffs early

pick spurs fans.

TheMACHINE
01-25-2009, 06:20 PM
lol the lakers are not better than the celtics or cavs.

that might be true...what was the outcomes of the games the Lakers played against Boston and Cleveland?

2Cleva
01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Difference between last year and this year besides health is LA is over the Spurs reputation. There isn't a mental edge that I believe the Spurs had last year and would have exploited if fully healthy.

Warlord23
01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Spurs shooting 21% from 3 and the refs sending LA to the line 32 times is never going to end well. I thought we executed our gameplan decently in the first half, but some of those whistles have got to be embarrassing for the NBA.

We definitely need a better big, better execution on D and for Manu to step up his overall level of play to match up with any of the contenders.

TheMACHINE
01-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Spurs shooting 21% from 3 and the refs sending LA to the line 32 times is never going to end well. I thought we executed our gameplan decently in the first half, but some of those whistles have got to be embarrassing for the NBA.

We definitely need a better big, better execution on D and for Manu to step up his overall level of play to match up with any of the contenders.

I agree...the spurs should get more freethrows...maybe they shouldnt settle for jumpshots and actually drive in or pass it to TD.

Don Quixote
Scenarios where the Spurs get to the Finals:

-Bynum and or Gasol gets hurt
-Spurs acquire a solid big
-Lakers get knocked out of playoffs early

pick spurs fans.

Scenario 1 has some hope. Is Tonya Harding available? What about Plaxico?

2 won't happen. We don't have any bargaining chips. Who would want that motley bunch we put on the floor today?

3 won't happen unless 1 happens (a ton of injuries).

HarlemHeat37
we obviously aren't going to beat them with how we're currently playing, but most of your are fucking idiots(you should know who you are)..

is somebody going to acknowledge the post from the guy with the Bachelor's and the hot girlfriend? he said that Farmar and Fisher are better than Parker and Ginobili..somebody ban this clown..he won't care though, since he'll be with his sexy girlfriend and chilling in his mansion, right?..

I don't understand these comments of "we aren't even on Orlando's level"..we aren't right now, but LA is barely better than the Magic..the Lakers are great, but they definitely aren't as good as Boston(there's no argument IMO), and they aren't better than a healthy Cleveland team..I think that's pretty obvious..

we need to get better defensively, we need to get healthy(Ginobili), and we need another player(hopefully Ian) if we want to beat them in a 7-game series..

regardless, I would be surprised if the Lakers win the title this year..if the Spurs don't win it, I'll be happy with anybody other than LA..I can't imagine how bad it would be for the NBA to have a rapist holding the Finals MVP trophy, it would prove the theory that the NBA is a "thug league"..

Quiet Strength
01-25-2009, 06:24 PM
that might be true...what was the outcomes of the games the Lakers played against Boston and Cleveland?

Yeah you all beat boston last game but didn't the lakers lose the first one? And wasn't cleveland missing a couple of big players last game?

TheMACHINE
01-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't understand these comments of "we aren't even on Orlando's level"..we aren't right now, but LA is barely better than the Magic..the Lakers are great, but they definitely aren't as good as Boston(there's no argument IMO), and they aren't better than a healthy Cleveland team..I think that's pretty obvious..

Its obvious because....?

HarlemHeat37
01-25-2009, 06:25 PM

yes, you won a game vs. Boston, that's nice..but the Lakers beat Cleveland without their 2nd best player and only post presence, which clearly had a significant impact in the game..not to mention their starting SG..

DrHouse
The Spurs didn't get to the line because they opted to take jumpshots all game.

Ghazi

Cavs were without 2 starters and it was @ staples FWIW.

Don Quixote
SA has a chance. Every team has a chance. But probability of SA beating LA with both teams healthy? 25% 40 at most maybe? No way its a coin toss.

SA has a chance to win once or twice in a seven game series. But not 4 times. Won't happen. Kobe & co. are too deep and too good.

They'll cruise to the Finals where they should meet Boston, Cleveland, or Orlando. Then they will be challenged.

Quiet Strength
agree both teams are different this year! Today both teams were at Full strength even though Manu is still hurting.. and Kobe playing with 3 fingers on his shooting hand

So then both teams still weren't really at full strength.

TheMACHINE
Yeah you all beat boston last game but didn't the lakers lose the first one? And wasn't cleveland missing a couple of big players last game?

Lakers only played Boston once and won. Cleveland was missing Z...but still lost by 17.

HarlemHeat37
01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Its obvious because....?

the flaws..

both Boston and Cleveland are clearly better defensively, and are much more consistent in that regard..

LA is the best offensive team in the NBA, but you can clearly see their defensive flaws in every game..

MarHill
Not even close. I think last year's 4-1 defeat in the playoffs, and this year's (thus far) Laer dominance pretty much seal the deal.

I am aware that the Silver & Black somehow beat them last month. Not sure how that happened ... they tried their best to give it to the Lakers. It came down to a lucky ref's call.

And there's simply too much talent on that Lakers squad. They are better, deeper, younger, stronger, and more talented at every position than we are (except PF, and it's close).

How many Spurs would play significant minutes on the Lakers? 3 -- Duncan would start, and Tony and Gino would come off the bench. The rest would ride the bench, if they were on the roster at all.

How many Lakers would start for the Spurs. All of em, and I mean all. Even Radmonovich.

It's not even close. Lakers are #1 in the West. The Spurs, maybe a distant second. Truth hurts.

I think you are overstating your case.

If the Spurs don't make shots....I don't care how good your defense is you are not going to win.

Also, I think we people make way too much of regular season games. I will give the Lakers credit for today's victory. It was decisive.

But the Spurs did some stuff...they can clean up as the season goes along.

Lastly, Manu is the X-Factor for the Spurs in order for them to win a championship. They need him fully healthy in order to be at his playmaking best. If he's not..the Spurs are a good team not a great team.

I'm not going to go overboard with one loss on the Lakers home floor...because they are things they can improve on.

Jeff Van Gundy said that Pop told him before the game he will experiement to see how certain matchups would look if they meet the Lakers in the playoffs.

I know one experiment they need to stop is Mason playing point. Just because you can do it....doesn't mean you should do. Because the Spurs offense needs to flow through Tim and you have to get him the ball in good places for him to attack the defense. They lost two or three possesions like that in the first half.

Bad loss..but not the end of the world!!

Agloco

we aren't ready to play LA with this defense..we would have had a chance if Bowen actually played most of the 3rd, but he didn't..nevertheless, we aren't winning against them until we get back to playing great defense..

One good look at the stats for the year will reveal that this is the most disturbing change from Spurs teams of the past. The defense has slipped noticeably this year while the offense has remained more or less at par.

Particularly alarming is the opponents FG% against us.

Pop always makes comments about the defense but this year his words ring true and that is a major problem going forward. I don't see the Spurs competing for a title without a lot of interior help and a lot more Bowen-like D on the perimeter.

TheMACHINE
01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Cavs were without 2 starters and it was @ staples FWIW.

Yah true..still lost by 17 though. Im not arueing that the Lakers are better than the Cavs. Im just wondering why 2 posters in this thread say its OBVIOUS the cavs are better than the Lakers.

Don Quixote
01-25-2009, 06:28 PM

lol, scared of trolls attacking you.

BTW no way can we get past this Lakers team. They're too big and too athletic for this team.

Lakers Big men >>>>>>>>>> Spurs big men.

No kidding. Their bigs are head and shoulders better than ours as a group.

The Laker guards, also, are better than ours. Fisher never misses when he plays S.A. If Farmar played the Spurs every game, he'd be in the Hall of Fame. And even Vujacic, their bench warmer, is better than our guys.

MarHill
01-25-2009, 06:28 PM
The Spurs didn't get to the line because they opted to take jumpshots all game.

Yep they did and they missed a lot of jumpers!!

A good decisive win for the Lakers!!!

TheMACHINE
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
the flaws..

both Boston and Cleveland are clearly better defensively, and are much more consistent in that regard..

LA is the best offensive team in the NBA, but you can clearly see their defensive flaws in every game..

Yet the Lakers beat both of them and have a better record then both, but both of those teams do not have flaws?

Warlord23
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
I agree...the spurs should get more freethrows...maybe they shouldnt settle for jumpshots and actually drive in or pass it to TD.

Yeah I'd like to see more action within the paint from the Spurs, but there were so many instances when we didn't get the call ... be it Timmy scoring on Gasol while getting bumped, Bynum with a lot of contact on D but no call, Manu getting pushed by Kobe, etc. I have no problem if the refs want to allow some contact, but then Gasol shouldn't have got the and-1 on Tim when replays showed no contact, and our bigs shouldn't be whistled for simply bodying up on Bynum.

HarlemHeat37
01-25-2009, 06:30 PM
One good look at the stats for the year will reveal that this is the most disturbing change from Spurs teams of the past. The defense has slipped noticeably this year while the offense has remained more or less at par.

Particularly alarming is the opponents FG% against us.

Pop always makes comments about the defense but this year his words ring true and that is a major problem going forward. I don't see the Spurs competing for a title without a lot of interior help and a lot more Bowen-like D on the perimeter.

yup..we're ranked 4th defensively, but there's a significant gap between the top 3 and the next 3(the top 3 are Cleveland, Boston, Orlando..the following 3 after a big gap are Houston, SA, LA)..the difference between us and the elite 4 is that our offense isn't good enough for us to win at an elite level while playing "good" defense..we NEED great defense..

I really don't know if we can reach the elite level defensively..Bowen is still clearly a great perimeter defender, but who else? Mason, Manu and Parker constantly miss rotations..Bonner isn't an ideal compliment for our system defensively..Tim will get better defensively, he's already starting to lately..but we really need our perimeter guys to step their D up, because it's mediocre right now..

Don Quixote
01-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I think you are overstating your case.

If the Spurs don't make shots....I don't care how good your defense is you are not going to win.

Also, I think we people make way too much of regular season games. I will give the Lakers credit for today's victory. It was decisive.

Lastly, Manu is the X-Factor for the Spurs in order for them to win a championship. They need him fully healthy in order to be at his playmaking best. If he's not..the Spurs are a good team not a great team.

I'm not going to go overboard with one loss on the Lakers home floor...because they are things they can improve on.

Jeff Van Gundy said that Pop told him before the game he will experiement to see how certain matchups would look if they meet the Lakers in the playoffs.

I know one experiment they need to stop is Mason playing point. Just because you can do it....doesn't mean you should do. Because the Spurs offense needs to flow through Tim and you have to get him the ball in good places for him to attack the defense. They lost two or three possesions like that in the first half.

Maybe I overstate, but not by much.

And it's not just one loss. We lucked out in the first game, almost completely choking it away. And let's not forget about last year in the playoffs. Put last year's losses together with this year's, and we have a clear picture -- the Lakers are much, much better than the Spurs. And the Spurs are good. But the Lakers are great. With much more talent at every position. They'll cruise to the Finals.

mytespurs
we beat LA on their second game of back to back without walton, famar and sasha by 1 point...and somehow you guys think we are on their level.

back to reality

So far this season the Spurs were NEVER on the Laker's level. The Lakers at this point and time are clearly a better team than the Spurs. Saying that, I think the Spurs will be in the mix come playoff time where anything can happen.

tmtcsc

back to reality

Fuck off Faker fan.

Just like our win, this loss is meaningless. Every Spurs fan knows that we need to improve our defense and rebounding if we are to win the west or go further.

ipeefreely
01-25-2009, 06:33 PM
It's only January.

Your team sucks and the girl is the worst dancer I have ever seen >>>

LMAO

HarlemHeat37
Yet the Lakers beat both of them and have a better record then both, but both of those teams do not have flaws?

every team has flaws..

the Lakers defensive flaw is clearly bigger than anything that goes against Cleveland or Boston..

as for beating them, it's meaningless..they beat Boston at home, and they beat Cleveland at home without 2 starters(including their 2nd best player/only post presence)..

the Lakers record is due to a few reasons..Cavs have lost Big Z for long stretches, they've been missing West for a while now..Boston lost Perkins for a while..Lakers currently play in a weaker conference, and have had the luxury of playing the most home games in the NBA..

Don Quixote

And another thing ...

that's just it. The Spurs NEVER make the shots they need to beat the Lakers. They never make the stops, never make the plays. It's always something. (I am aware they got a little luck last week, however.)

And when will Manu EVER be healthy enough to help the Spurs at least have a chance against these clowns?

And ... it's not one loss. It's many, many losses.

TheMACHINE
01-25-2009, 06:34 PM
every team has flaws..

the Lakers defensive flaw is clearly bigger than anything that goes against Cleveland or Boston..

as for beating them, it's meaningless..they beat Boston at home, and they beat Cleveland at home without 2 starters(including their 2nd best player/only post presence)..

the Lakers record is due to a few reasons..Cavs have lost Big Z for long stretches, they've been missing West for a while now..Boston lost Perkins for a while..Lakers currently play in a weaker conference, and have had the luxury of playing the most home games in the NBA..

to each his own. I just think your underestimating the Lakers, but thats all good.

ipeefreely
01-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah I'd like to see more action within the paint from the Spurs, but there were so many instances when we didn't get the call ... be it Timmy scoring on Gasol while getting bumped, Bynum with a lot of contact on D but no call, Manu getting pushed by Kobe, etc. I have no problem if the refs want to allow some contact, but then Gasol shouldn't have got the and-1 on Tim when replays showed no contact, and our bigs shouldn't be whistled for simply bodying up on Bynum.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And the last game, where Manure got away with every brush screen know to mankind?

You got your arse handed to you, own up, ahahahahahahahah

A classic BEATDOWN

MarHill
01-25-2009, 06:36 PM

And it's not just one loss. We lucked out in the first game, almost completely choking it away. And let's not forget about last year in the playoffs. Put last year's losses together with this year's, and we have a clear picture -- the Lakers are much, much better than the Spurs. And the Spurs are good. But the Lakers are great. With much more talent at every position. They'll cruise to the Finals.

We didn't luck out the first game...the Spurs hit shots!! And Manu was the X-Factor!! That was the key.

I will agree with you that the Lakers have more talent the Spurs. The Spurs have never been the most talented team and they still won championships. But the Spurs have to play smart and efficient (in order to make up for it) and when they don't that...they lose.

HarlemHeat37
01-25-2009, 06:37 PM
to each his own. I just think your underestimating the Lakers, but thats all good.

it's not like the Lakers can't become better defensively..they have the players..if they get it together defensively, they're the best team in the NBA IMO..obviously a lot of people already feel that way about them though, and it's understandable..

MarHill
01-25-2009, 06:39 PM

And another thing ...

that's just it. The Spurs NEVER make the shots they need to beat the Lakers. They never make the stops, never make the plays. It's always something. (I am aware they got a little luck last week, however.)

And when will Manu EVER be healthy enough to help the Spurs at least have a chance against these clowns?

And ... it's not one loss. It's many, many losses.

What are you talking about? They are 29-14....not many losses.

The first REGULAR SEASON game against LA showed when they MAKE SHOTS..they can beat anybody in the league!!

You make a good point about Manu!! Without him fully healthy..they won't win the championship.

But...please relax and let the season play out. The NBA Championship isn't decided in late January!!

MarHill
01-25-2009, 06:40 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And the last game, where Manure got away with every brush screen know to mankind?

You got your arse handed to you, own up, ahahahahahahahah

A classic BEATDOWN

The Bobcats are not even in the discussion...to make playoffs!! Please!!!!

Don Quixote
01-25-2009, 06:40 PM
That first game just fluky. Seriously ... 112-111, with both teams over 55%? And Super Manu actually making an appearance. And the Spurs actually GETTING a call!

I agree that Super Manu makes the difference, but it's a rare commodity. I love him, but I'd trade him for any of the Laker SF's or guards. Farmar is unstoppable. Ariza is just awesome. I'd even take Vujacic -- at least he's consistent and can make an open shot.

Don Quixote
01-25-2009, 06:43 PM
What are you talking about? They are 29-14....not many losses.

The first REGULAR SEASON game against LA showed when they MAKE SHOTS..they can beat anybody in the league!!

You make a good point about Manu!! Without him fully healthy..they won't win the championship.

But...please relax and let the season play out. The NBA Championship isn't decided in late January!!

No ... I mean many many losses to the Lakers. We can beat most teams, but the Lakers own us. Any victory over them is a big one because it's rare.

And ... with last year's playoff beatdown, and the rosters largely unchanged, I don't see any different outcome this year. 4-1 Lakers in the playoffs.

Ghazi
01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
ANY of the Lakers small forwards or guards? SERIOUSLY!? cmon now...

Don Quixote
01-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Seriously. They are that much better.

Jloyola
01-25-2009, 06:47 PM
That first game just fluky. Seriously ... 112-111, with both teams over 55%? And Super Manu actually making an appearance. And the Spurs actually GETTING a call!

I agree that Super Manu makes the difference, but it's a rare commodity. I love him, but I'd trade him for any of the Laker SF's or guards. Farmar is unstoppable. Ariza is just awesome. I'd even take Vujacic -- at least he's consistent and can make an open shot.

we'll give you our starting SF Luke Walton for Manu

on a serious note..... Spurs need to make some changes, i dont think a trade work work b/c the spurs dont have any pieces besides the big 3 any team wants.

Spur's young guys need to step up real quick or they might see an early exit in the playoffs

ipeefreely
01-25-2009, 06:48 PM
The Bobcats are not even in the discussion...to make playoffs!! Please!!!!

The jokes on you pal...

MarHill
01-25-2009, 06:49 PM
No ... I mean many many losses to the Lakers. We can beat most teams, but the Lakers own us. Any victory over them is a big one because it's rare.

And ... with last year's playoff beatdown, and the rosters largely unchanged, I don't see any different outcome this year. 4-1 Lakers in the playoffs.

Okay...here's come a history lesson.

The Spurs were the last team knocked off Shaq-Kobe in 2003 and the Lakers returned the favor in 2004. Last year's series was the first we faced them since then...the Lakers' team in 2005-2007 wasn't good enough. The Spurs' teams of 2005-2007 would have beaten the Lakers in a 7 game series.

The Lakers won last year and they are very good team..I'm not going to deny that.

But as a Spurs fan, I'm not going to give them the championship in late Jan. They won today's game decisively..but there are things the Spurs can work and get better at.

So until the Spurs are eliminated in the playoffs or the win the title....there's a lot of season left!!

:flag:

timvp
01-25-2009, 06:50 PM
I haven't read his posts but I'm assuming Don Quixote is going with his Radmanovic > Manu, Fisher > Parker logic. That's always worth the laugh.

Jloyola
01-25-2009, 06:51 PM

The Spurs were the last team knocked off Shaq-Kobe in 2003 and the Lakers returned the favor in 2004. Last year's series was the first we faced them since then...the Lakers' team in 2005-2007 wasn't good enough. The Spurs' teams of 2005-2007 would have beaten the Lakers in a 7 game series.

The Lakers won last year and they are very good team..I'm not going to deny that.

But as a Spurs fan, I'm not going to give them the championship in late Jan. They won today's game decisively..but there are things the Spurs can work and get better at.

So until the Spurs are eliminated in the playoffs or the win the title....there's a lot of season left!!

you should go back a few more years in your history lesson...

Don Quixote
01-25-2009, 06:53 PM
I haven't read his posts but I'm assuming Don Quixote is going with his Radmanovic > Manu, Fisher > Parker logic. That's always worth the laugh.

Funny, but true. Fish is $$$ in the clutch. And I stand by it -- any Laker for any Spur (of similar size and position). It would instantly make the Spurs better.

MarHill
01-25-2009, 06:54 PM
you should go back a few more years in your history lesson...

The Lakers were dominant in the first part of the 2000's and the Spurs were dominant in the middle part of the 2000's. And the Lakers still haven't won a championship since 2002.

I'm not going back to the 80's.....of course the Lakers have the better history. I'm concerned with this decade and if the Spurs win the title this year...it will be 4-3 for the 2000's.

Spur-Addict
01-25-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't care how well we shoot, it will still be hard to come across wins against L.A. And this defense everyone keeps referring to will be hard to come across with one legit defensive post Deterrent.

Reck
01-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Your team sucks and the girl is the worst dancer I have ever seen >>>

LMAO

Hahahahahahhahah someone finally took the bait. Dumb noob.

Don Quixote
01-25-2009, 06:56 PM

Yes, thanks for recalling the good parts of the history. I remember those days fondly. Unfortunately, those days are ancient history. I'm talking about now (and the recent past). And the situation NOW is that the Lakers have gotten much, much better and should defeat us, New Orleans, or Houston handily come playoff time. And there's nothing to suggest that this will change.

It's a long season, the Spurs will get better. I get it. I'm cool with that. But it won't be enough in May and June.

timvp
Funny, but true. Fish is $$$ in the clutch. And I stand by it -- any Laker for any Spur (of similar size and position). It would instantly make the Spurs better.

SA210
something needs to happen, this current spurs team isn't winning shit this year

The starting lineup is the wrong one.

ipeefreely
01-25-2009, 06:57 PM

back to reality

lol, nuff said:downspin:

ClingingMars
typical jayem thread.

-Mars

beachwood
We are definitely not on the Lakers' level. My homer glasses are off.

MarHill
01-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Yes, thanks for recalling the good parts of the history. I remember those days fondly. Unfortunately, those days are ancient history. I'm talking about now (and the recent past). And the situation NOW is that the Lakers have gotten much, much better and should defeat us, New Orleans, or Houston handily come playoff time. And there's nothing to suggest that this will change.

It's a long season, the Spurs will get better. I get it. I'm cool with that. But it won't be enough in May and June.

I give you the Lakers and the Celtics beating the Spurs in a series..but not the Hornets or the Jazz or even the Rockets.

But...I'm not giving up on their chances especially after one game in late Jan.

ipeefreely
01-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Hahahahahahhahah someone finally took the bait. Dumb noob.

Noob, coming from the guy with 1500 plus posts, yes you are very good at something....

LOL=no life...hahahahahahahahahaha

SinBAD
01-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Its my first time posting here but ive been following guys for a while.Im a big time spurs fan and just watched the game today.I believe we are at the same level as the lakers.If you look at the box score, they shot 14 more FT than us.they also beat us at number of blocks 8 vs 2 and 3s.We are one of the top 3p shooting teams in the league but today was an off night for us so thats ok.Our main weakness is not bonner.He is a good player and hits alot of 3s but he shouldnt be starting.He should be limited to 10 min a game.thats how it was with horry last season.Bonner is essentially Horry's replacement so he is not a C.if he players he should play as a sf and just shoot 3s.he would create match up problems for alot of teams.We need a big that can block and rebound.Kurt thomas is a decent backup center.We need to trade oberto, udoka, finely and mahimi for some kind of center.Forget about Kaman and camby.Brad miller would be a beast but we aint getting him for sure.The FO will work it out though.I believe there will be a trade and we'll be in the WCF.Marion is an option but i dont know who we can give them for him.Another problem is Manu ginobili.I love Manu but he's very inconsistent.Today he was useless.Maybe he's not 100% yet so im hoping he gets better because Kobe shut him down.Also Bown has to play more.Fin was horrible on D today.Did you see in the 3rd 1/4 when POP yelled at him after fisher made the 3?
Anyways dont panic.Spurs will win the next 3.

Blackjack
01-25-2009, 07:00 PM

The defense could definitely play better and more importantly smarter (way too many unnecessary fouls) but the Spurs problem against the Lakers was, and still is, their offense. Bad offense tends to enbolden/ignite the opposition mentally and physically.

The Lakers didn't run over the Spurs playing great basketball. They slowly pulled away as the Spurs were unable to keep in striking-distance with their collective offensive ineptitude. That's a fact. To put in D. Green's words, "They (Lakers) are who we they thought they were."

The Spurs need Mason and Bonner to play aggressively, what they got was Bonner rushing his shot and Mason trying to play over his head offensively. Mason as an aggressive role player, good. Mason using aggression to play like a "star," not so good. If the role players don't consistently fill their role and play within theirselves, the Spurs have no chance against the elite.

Just about the only player to play solid or decent (when the game was there to be had) was Duncan, but as the OP suggests, they failed to utilize him effectively. Without playing through Tim, they fail to space the floor effectively for shooters, collapse the defense and force help, (drawing fouls, physically taxing the opposition), and maintain the floor-balance that helps with transition D and overall play.

This team, as constructed, needs to play a lower possession game against a team like the Lakers, so the offense has to be run inside out. Opportunistic transition and easy baskets need to be taken advantage of, but you've got to avoid neglecting the big fella.(Stick with the run-game, so to speak)

You've got to be able to hit open shots against a Phil Jackson defense, take care of the ball, not get killed at the free-throw line, and have good ball/player movement to give yourself a shot.

The Spurs today?

I'd say they went 0-4.

Reck
01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Noob, coming from the guy with 1500 plus posts, yes you are very good at something....

LOL=no life...hahahahahahahahahaha

I'm someone that actually comes to this board to discuss Basketball. You are just one of those fans that register then quit on their team and come back when they win a game then dissapear again.

Again, what a dumbass.

Don Quixote
01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
I give you the Lakers and the Celtics beating the Spurs in a series..but not the Hornets or the Jazz or even the Rockets.

But...I'm not giving up on their chances especially after one game in late Jan.

No, I'm not saying the Hornets, Jazz, or Rockets would beat us. I'm reasonably sure that we'd beat all 3. Maybe not New Orleans .. well that's 50-50.

I said the Lakers will beat any West challenges quite easily. The East will be another animal.

MarHill
01-25-2009, 07:03 PM
The defense could definitely play better and more importantly smarter (way too many unnecessary fouls) but the Spurs problem against the Lakers was, and still is, their offense. Bad offense tends to enbolden/ignite the opposition mentally and physically.

The Lakers didn't run over the Spurs playing great basketball. They slowly pulled away as the Spurs were unable to keep in striking-distance with their collective offensive ineptitude. That's a fact. To put in D. Green's words, "They (Lakers) are who we they thought they were."

The Spurs need Mason and Bonner to play aggressively, what they got was Bonner rushing his shot and Mason trying to play over his head offensively. Mason as an aggressive role player, good. Mason using aggression to play like a "star," not so good. If the role players don't consistently fill their role and play within theirselves, the Spurs have no chance against the elite.

Just about the only player to play solid or decent (when the game was there to be had) was Duncan, but as the OP suggests, they failed to utilize him effectively. Without playing through Tim, they fail to space the floor effectively for shooters, collapse the defense and force help, (drawing fouls, physically taxing the opposition), and maintain the floor-balance that helps with transition D and overall play.

This team, as constructed, needs to play a lower possession game against a team like the Lakers, so the offense has to be run inside out. Opportunistic transition and easy baskets need to be taken advantage of, but you've got to avoid neglecting the big fella.(Stick with the run-game, so to speak)

You've got to be able to hit open shots against a Phil Jackson defense, take care of the ball, not get killed at the free-throw line, and have good ball/player movement to give yourself a shot.

The Spurs today?

I'd say they went 0-4.

Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!! :toast

I've been posting that on this forum since the end of the game.

The Spurs took too many jumpers and didn't play the game from the inside-out.

MarHill
01-25-2009, 07:05 PM
No, I'm not saying the Hornets, Jazz, or Rockets would beat us. I'm reasonably sure that we'd beat all 3. Maybe not New Orleans .. well that's 50-50.

I said the Lakers will beat any West challenges quite easily. The East will be another animal.

Read Blackjack 21's post...he is spot-on about today's game!

Don Quixote
01-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Well ... I'm done here. Hope I'm wrong ...

See you all come playoff time!

Spur-Addict
01-25-2009, 07:08 PM

The Spurs today?

I'd say they went 0-4.

Bonner/Thomas/Oberto will not be able to make teams pay for doubling Timmy consistenly when it matters most. Or, when Manu/Tony/Others drive, they stay with Tim and make Bonner/Thomas/Oberto beat them. And guess what, they won't be able to do that consistently either.

Our perimeter players will be just fine. That I can count on.

Big P
01-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Your talking like you won it all last year. You got smoked..same as we did.

Rogue
01-25-2009, 11:05 PM
We are over their level now that we have beaten them twice in a row.

Blackjack
01-25-2009, 11:19 PM
We are over their level now that we have beaten them twice in a row.

I'm sure there's somewhere on this earth, or someone, that understands the gibberish you spew, but....

Hopefully, I never find that place or meet that person.:shootme

mrspurs
01-26-2009, 12:12 AM

Yup

crc21209
01-26-2009, 01:04 AM

Kori's right, if our guys are gonna miss open shots, were gonna lose. The D wasnt so bad, its not like Pau or Kobe or anyone went off, we just missed shots. The Spurs will be fine.

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Even with the new additions this year, the Spurs are simply not as good defenisvely as in years past. Even Pop has declared they don't stand a chance if they can't hold teams to within the 80's. Also watching Duncan go against the opposition's entire frontline, on both ends of the court, is a rerun of a movie that I grew tired of last year. TD simply is saddled with too much responsibility and does not have enough help. At this stage of career, that shouldn't be.

Ditty
01-26-2009, 01:12 AM
its just one damn game its not like we got outplayed since the opening tip-off just some dumb plays in the second half of course were a big man away from murdering these lakers but hell its probably not going to happen with a cheap owner like ours

all i got to say is we need 3 players to get there heads out of there asses during big road games to try to prove something to the legue and we know who those 3 guys are

Ghazi
01-26-2009, 01:15 AM
I don't buy the argument that the Spurs will "turn it on" in the second half of the season. Through 43 games what you see is probably what you'll get. The Spurs are mediocre offensively, good defensively but not as good in recent years.

Some people, don't take margin of victory stats seriously but I do, as it measures how often you score and how often you disallow teams from scoring

Margin stats in Duncan era:

97-98: +4.0
98-99: +8.1
99-00: +6.0
00-01: +7.8
01-02: +6.2
02-03: +5.4
03-04: +7.2
04-05: +7.8
05-06: +6.8
06-07: +8.4
07-08: +4.8
08-09: +2.9

I think it can legitimately be said this is the worst Spurs team of the Tim Duncan era.

anakha
01-26-2009, 02:18 AM

back to reality

Whatever you say, Laker fan.

Rapper
01-26-2009, 02:45 AM
of course

I still think we are on the Lakers level

bavarianworks
01-26-2009, 03:34 AM

Damn you're an idiot, tony and manu would start:
Tony
Manu
Kobe
Duncan
Bynum

melo061
01-26-2009, 03:37 AM
The spurs are simply not on the Laker's levels both offensively and defensively at the moment. There is no proof of such claim, rather all the evidence points to the Laker's being on a different pedestal.

The Spur's MO for years was defense. That's why they were champs, why they were better than the Lakers. They can't even claim that today.

romain.star
01-26-2009, 04:40 AM

So,

Fisher > Tony?

Duncan more or less = to Gasol?

Plus ALL of the lakers starters for the Spurs?

:(

:rolleyes

:rollin

:ihit

galvatron3000
01-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Spurs missing shots and Lakers getting to the line killed it

lefty
01-26-2009, 10:26 AM
We didn't show up, which is what we do on Sunday afternoon games.

Horrible D, poor decision making on offense.

We played like SHIT.

We'll beat the Lakers in the playoffs.

DrHouse
01-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Popovich really said it all in the post game comments. The margin of error for the Spurs is so slim that they really can't afford to make any serious blunders defensively or offensively.

The two back to back 3's in the 3rd opened the game up for LAL and they never looked back from there. I'm not saying the Spurs can't beat the Lakers in the playoffs, but they will need to play near perfect basketball to do it. Without significant roster changes I just can't see the Spurs going all the way to the Finals and winning it all again. They are very close though, just need a solid C alongside Duncan (Splitter, Scola, etc. would all have been nice to have).

lefty
01-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Popovich really said it all in the post game comments. The margin of error for the Spurs is so slim that they really can't afford to make any serious blunders defensively or offensively.

The two back to back 3's in the 3rd opened the game up for LAL and they never looked back from there. I'm not saying the Spurs can't beat the Lakers in the playoffs, but they will need to play near perfect basketball to do it. Without significant roster changes I just can't see the Spurs going all the way to the Finals and winning it all again. They are very close though, just need a solid C alongside Duncan (Splitter, Scola, etc. would all have been nice to have).

True :tu

That's really stressfull for a Spurs fan :lol

DPG21920
01-26-2009, 11:21 AM
That is the first thing that House said that is true. The Spurs can beat the Lakers as currently constructed, but the margin for error is clearly slim. In the playoffs that hurts. The more Manu starts to turn the corner, the better those odds get. But even if Manu regains last years form consistently, the Spurs still have to hit most of their open shots, play great defense and hope the Lakers miss a couple.

The Lakers do not have to play their best to beat the Spurs. They can have an off night and still win. The Spurs will need to step it up and pull off what would be an upset as things currently stand. Spurs have a better shot than anyone to do this. As in every year the Spurs have won it all, it takes a combo of great team defense, open looks going in and some luck. This is no different.

DrHouse
01-26-2009, 11:26 AM
It boggles my mind why the Spur's FO would think Matt Bonner is the solution for the Spurs frontcourt depth.

DPG21920
01-26-2009, 11:29 AM
It boggles my mind why the Spur's FO would think Matt Bonner is the solution for the Spurs frontcourt depth.

They do not. That is false. They are handcuffed as many here have pointed out. The Spurs are open to making moves, they just do not have a lot of tradeable assets outside of the big 3. Unless a homerun deal comes through (which is highly unlikely) there is only so much you can do. You have to work with what you have.

It is funny how good the Spurs are/have been. Even when they are second int the West, with Matt Bonner, people are jumping off of cliffs. Many teams would love to have that problem.

lefty
01-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Spurs are nowhere close to the Lakers. Only a moron would think otherwise.

Mavs are nowhere close to anything

WayOutWest
01-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Mavs are nowhere close to anything

Wrong! They are close to losing Dirk to a real contender.

Extra Stout
01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
The Spurs need each member of the Big 3 to play great, and have hot three-point shooters, while LA either is shorthanded or has an off game, in order to beat the Lakers. The Spurs lack talent and size around Tim Duncan up front, and their defense has slipped noticeably. The team has declined from title contender to second-round playoff fodder, maybe WCF if they get a good draw.

lotr1trekkie
01-26-2009, 12:40 PM
I hate to type this but in a seven game series we would be hard pressed to beat this Laker team even WITHOUT KOBE. Like Buck Harvey said they seem to have 2 guys for each position. We needed add BIGS who had skills[ Splitter] and athleticism[ Mahimni]. Bonner and Thomas are power forwards playing out of position which means Tim needs to do all the heavy lifting. Is there a player out there that could help us this year? Next season will be more of the same unless we forgo the 2010 master plan and decide to win now.

rascal
01-26-2009, 12:53 PM
The Spurs need each member of the Big 3 to play great, and have hot three-point shooters, while LA either is shorthanded or has an off game, in order to beat the Lakers. The Spurs lack talent and size around Tim Duncan up front, and their defense has slipped noticeably. The team has declined from title contender to second-round playoff fodder, maybe WCF if they get a good draw.

Agree. The spurs just have not been able to get any really good front court player since Robinson.

They managed to win without a quality frontcourt player along side Duncan after Robinson retired but trimes have changed and they no longer will be able to win with a lack of front court skilled players.

The Lakers and Boston are stronger than any teams the spurs had to face in their championship years after Robinson.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-26-2009, 01:04 PM
New Orleans spanked us thoroughly during the regular season last year yet we took them in the playoffs. Cleveland swept us in the regular season the year we swept them in the Finals.

LA is better than the Spurs right now...that's true. But there's still time to right the ship by the time the games actually count.

DPG21920
01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
LA is much better than the Hornets and the Cavs were. That is clear. The difference is the Lakers beat the Spurs in the playoffs last year, not the Cavs or the Hornets.

mrspurs
01-26-2009, 01:50 PM

They know he isnt the solution. But as of right now, Matt is the only Big worth giving a chance. They already know what Fab and Kurt have.

mrspurs
01-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Agree. The spurs just have not been able to get any really good front court player since Robinson.

They managed to win without a quality frontcourt player along side Duncan after Robinson retired but trimes have changed and they no longer will be able to win with a lack of front court skilled players.

The Lakers and Boston are stronger than any teams the spurs had to face in their championship years after Robinson.

Yup

Agloco
01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't buy the argument that the Spurs will "turn it on" in the second half of the season. Through 43 games what you see is probably what you'll get. The Spurs are mediocre offensively, good defensively but not as good in recent years.

Some people, don't take margin of victory stats seriously but I do, as it measures how often you score and how often you disallow teams from scoring

Margin stats in Duncan era:

97-98: +4.0
98-99: +8.1
99-00: +6.0
00-01: +7.8
01-02: +6.2
02-03: +5.4
03-04: +7.2
04-05: +7.8
05-06: +6.8
06-07: +8.4
07-08: +4.8
08-09: +2.9

I think it can legitimately be said this is the worst Spurs team of the Tim
Duncan era.

This comes about as a direct result of the defensive decline we've seen throughout the season. The defensive decline, in turn, comes about as a direct result of the lack of interior help.

The other stat to look at is opponents FG% against us. It's bad and getting worse by the game. I'll give you 3 guesses as to where most of those shots are coming from.......

The bottom line is that without an athletic big (6'10" +) or a very hot shooting performance in the playoffs from Mason, Bowen, Manu and Parker, we're not winning a title.

beachwood
01-26-2009, 02:25 PM
New Orleans spanked us thoroughly during the regular season last year yet we took them in the playoffs. Cleveland swept us in the regular season the year we swept them in the Finals.

LA is better than the Spurs right now...that's true. But there's still time to right the ship by the time the games actually count.

There's a difference between being beaten and being dismantled. We didn't simply lose, we were destroyed. The Hornets were an inexperienced team last year. The Lakers have loads of experience. There's no comparison. None at all.

Extra Stout
01-26-2009, 02:50 PM

Playoff experience may get a team somewhere against a physically superior team that's never been there before, like New Orleans last year. It gets a team nothing against a better, deeper team that spanked it out of the playoffs a year ago.

HarlemHeat37
01-26-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't understand why you guys are surprised that this is the worst team of the Duncan era..EVERY TEAM starts declining..we've had one of the best runs in sports history, we're obviously going to decline at some point..

look at the Lakers..they had a great run from 2000 to 2004, and then how did they get back on top in 2008? they missed the playoffs and got a lottery pick from it(Bynum), and they used their assets in the next few years..they even almost lost Kobe, which would have screwed their franchise for years..

it's difficult to stay on top at an elite level..appreciate what we've had..the fact that we've had limited assets, but have still managed to play at a high level is extremely impressive..we even managed to get studs like Scola and Splitter, but unfortunately it didn't work out..

this off-season is going to be a big one..our role players are going to be much better with Gist, Hairston, hopefully Ian..we'll have some expiring contracts for the following season, including Manu, which will allow opportunities for big trades..hope something good happens with Splitter..we'll have a chance to re-load next year..

with that being said, there's still the chance of a trade this year, and hopefully something good can come out of the trade deadline for us..

Lakers999
01-26-2009, 03:04 PM
But there's still time to right the ship by the time the games actually count.

ehhh.. i doubt it... there is no time.... look forward to next season and 09 draft

xellos88330
01-26-2009, 09:00 PM
if 3 or even 4 jump shots falling for key role players, could have easily swung the game in the Spurs favor. Jackson dared the Spurs role players to beat them by giving them a host of open jumpers. They didn't hit them, so the Lakers did not have to play honest defense.

Jayem3
03-12-2009, 07:46 PM

Jayem3
03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
it amazes the fuck outta me how some of you guys actually think we can beat LA in the playoffs

anakha
03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Whatever you say, emo fan.

Horse
03-12-2009, 09:01 PM
How the fuck are we healthy without Manu? At many times especially in big games he's been our best player. Props to the lakers they came out gunning, But jesus christ the fucking refs at home no less. lakers or not has there ever been a superstar to get no respect in the way of calls like Duncan.

Budkin
03-12-2009, 09:43 PM
:lmao at the meltdown threads!!!

Danny.Zhu
03-12-2009, 09:50 PM

Agreed.

xellos88330
03-12-2009, 09:52 PM
The Spurs are fine. I really enjoyed this game tonight. I think the Spurs bench is better than the Lakers bench though. If the Spurs had actually remembered there was a basketball game tonight, they could have won this game handily. Spurs did terrible at the charity stripe too. That hurt.

Allanon
03-12-2009, 09:53 PM
The Spurs are fine. I really enjoyed this game tonight. I think the Spurs bench is better than the Lakers bench though. If the Spurs had actually remembered there was a basketball game tonight, they could have won this game handily. Spurs did terrible at the charity stripe too. That hurt.

I agree that the Spurs bench is better right now. With Odom as a starter, the Lakers bench has sucked.

Once Bynum gets back, I hope Odom returns back to the bench to give them a leader/playmaker. The Laker bench runs around like chickens without Kobe/Lamar running the team.

NRHector
03-12-2009, 09:53 PM
yes we are, when manu and drew come back