PDA

View Full Version : The Superstar club is now 4: Debate

Rummpd
03-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Charles Barkely said recently admantly that only Shaq, TD and Garnett were true superstars (difference makers on both sides of ball) and on the surface I agreed with that with some feelings that AI, Kobe and perhaps Kidd or Nash should be in the mix.

However, living in Philly AI has simply been playing the game often recently at a Jordanesque level. Beat up, double teamed, it doesn't seem to matter - he brings it every night.

Last night, he was literally unstoppable 48 with only 3 in the 4th after the game was decided and just misssed tying Jordan for 3 50 point games in a season which hasn't been done in awhile.

There is no doubt in my view now the Club is now at least 4 and at some point AI needs consideration in the MVP race as well.

coz
03-02-2005, 01:02 PM
No Playoffs = No MVP

Jimcs50
03-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Practice, we are talkin bout practice man, not the game, practice.

IcemanCometh
03-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Lebron

FromWayDowntown
03-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Given the limited number of players who've ever won an MVP award, it's pretty tough to say, I think, that Iverson is not a superstar.

Rummpd
03-02-2005, 01:33 PM
The funny thing in Philly is that AI has been quoted recently asking for MORE practice with Webber (walk throughs etc).

The guy has simply matured period.

Rummpd
03-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Barkley said give the phenoms 3 years to prove something unless a title = Lebron can earn it!

nacho estrada
03-02-2005, 01:50 PM
AI is a legitimate MVP canidate... period. The guy is 6 foot nothin and is taking over NBA games. But I do have the stipulation that Coz said, "no playoffs, no MVP". Most of the time its the top ranked team's best players considered.

exstatic
03-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Shaq hasn't been a difference maker on D in a long time. I'd argue that if Wade hadn't been waiting for him in Miami, the Heat would have struggled as much as the Lakers are this year. To me, there are three: Tim, KG, and LeBron.

Jimcs50
03-02-2005, 02:17 PM
You have to put Shaq in there with TD and KG.

Also TMac, Nash, Kidd, Stoudemire and AI.

exstatic
03-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Why? Do you think Miami would be half as good without Wade? He's Shaq's new boy wonder. The criteria, as stated, was a difference maker on BOTH sides of the ball. IMHO, Shaq isn't on defense anymore.

exstatic
03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Also TMac, Nash, Kidd, Stoudemire and AI.

OK, now I KNOW that you're tooting NO2 on your breaks. Remember the criteria...a force on BOTH sides of the ball. Stoudemire and Nash have never defended anyone in their lives. Kidd is fairly broken at this point, and still living off the rep.

Jimcs50
03-02-2005, 02:24 PM
OK, now I KNOW that you're tooting NO2 on your breaks. Remember the criteria...a force on BOTH sides of the ball. Stoudemire and Nash have never defended anyone in their lives. Kidd is fairly broken at this point, and still living off the rep.

both sides?

ok, nevermind

Jimcs50
03-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Ok, TD, KG, Kobe and Shaq.

Supergirl
03-02-2005, 02:31 PM
YES, I think MIami would be that good without Wade. Shaq could play with the Keebler elves and make them look like superstars. Wade is very, very good, but Shaq makes them a contender, and Shaq would make anyone a contender.

I think the MVP candidates this year should be Shaq, Duncan, Dirk, and Lebron. AI and KG if there teams make the playoffs, not if they don't. Nash doesn't play D, which is why the Spurs decimate the Suns when they play them.

As far as who is a legit superstar, on both ends of the courts -- TIm, Shaq, and KG.

Jimcs50
03-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Nash is MVP....that is a given.

They have lost everyone of the games he has missed but 1.

waly.mg
03-02-2005, 02:36 PM
In fact if you say both sides, there are only 3, but i choice Kobe and AI too
Because both have numbers like 2 players together
If someone can score 40 Points when only 10-15 players are in 20 Points a game, he plays like 2
In My Mint, Kidd isnīt a Super Star, because his Triple-Doubles are 10-15 Points, 10 rebounds and 10 Asists
Kobe or AI, only a fex Time had a triple doble, but with 30-40 Points, 8 Rebounds and 8 Asissts, his numbers are so better than a triple double
TD can Score 20-20, and so Shaq and KG

vanvannen
03-02-2005, 02:57 PM
If you're talking both sides, Kobe should be in the mix along with TD, KG and Shaq. He is a really good defender and when he is on, you just can't stop him. (remember 2004 series against our Spurs)
I think the MVP is supposed to be that player that makes a team win. I think Lebron will be, but not quite yet. On the other hand, Nash has turned the Suns around with his play. I know he doesn't play defense, but that's what Phoenix is all about. He would probably not be MVP in San Antonio, but he is definetely an MVP in Phoenix.

BronxCowboy
03-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Can't argue with TD, KG, and Shaq. LeBron, IMO, if he isn't there yet, will be very, very soon.

1Parker1
03-02-2005, 05:09 PM
I agree Rummpd. AI's awesome season is being highly overlooked by Nash, Lebron, and Shaq. The fact is, those players have an amazing supporting cast. Nash has 2 other All star's playing with him and you could argue that while he makes the team better, his strength is in his assists and the way he runs the ball. You could argue the same thing with AI, although he is doing it without the two all stars. However, he runs the show in Philly, he scores and assists and runs the ball up court and he makes the roll players around him better.
Shaq, IMO, not an MVP. If any1 on that team should be considered, I would think Wade.
Lebron, you could argue that he is in the same position as AI. Putting up those numbers and assisting and making the role players around him better. However, I just don't think he is having quite the season AI is having.

Call me biased, But AI deserves to be one of the top 3 candidates. Hopefully, if the Sixers win the Atlantic and make the playoff's, he'll be a serious contender.

slayermin
03-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Call me biased, But AI deserves to be one of the top 3 candidates. Hopefully, if the Sixers win the Atlantic and make the playoff's, he'll be a serious contender.

I totally agree. AI is having a marvelous year. He has to be in the conversation for MVP, especially if Philly wins the Atlantic.

BronxCowboy
03-02-2005, 08:13 PM
My problems with AI are 1) he is on a .500 team and 2) he may average 30 ppg, but he takes a shitload of shots to get his points. Late in the game, he's a great go-to guy, but he wastes way more possessions than an MVP candidate should.

Spurs Biggest Fan
03-03-2005, 01:06 AM
icemancometh -- your sig -- man, that is just disturbing! :)

but I as for the topic -- I agree with the poster -- AI should be considered a Superstar -- the reason probably that he isn't is that he's a guard -- TD, SHAQ, AND GARNETT all have a post presence.

JMHO