PDA

View Full Version : Bowen almost an all-star - take away fan's vote

iafarmboy
01-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Bowen came within a long eyelash of being voted a starter on the NBA’s Western Conference All-Star Team. Suppose instead of Amare Stoudemire (1,460,429), the fans had voted in Bruce Bowen (1,392,398). Bowen missed by less than 70K votes. It would have been one of the single most ridiculous things that ever happened in the history of professional athletics – even if the other nine All-Stars were unquestionably the best nine players.
Who is Bruce Bowen? Well, he’s 37 years old. He has never made an All-Star team. The highest scoring average he ever had in a single season was 8.2 - five years ago. He rarely starts and has a scoring average of less than 3 points per game in 2008/09. He has always been considered a poor shooter, both from the field and from the line.
Yes, I know he was selected to the all-defensive team quite a few times. And, he has played on three championship Spurs teams. But, even if he ever did deserve to be the very last (and I mean very, very last) person picked to the Western Conference All-Star team, he never deserved a single vote for first team. And, that was in his best year. He’s barely a shadow of that now.
So, what gives? Well, obviously, there is something going on with the computer voting on line. Somebody stacked the deck. No doubt the NBA big dogs were sweating bullets over the past couple weeks. I wouldn’t even be surprised if they “made sure” he lost. What a disaster that would have been! Not only would a very deserving player not get to start, but a very, very deserving player would not even be selected to the All-Star team.

This was on the Kansas City Star Blog Upon further review.

http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/486

Yorae
01-25-2009, 08:12 PM
all-atar?

HORNSWOGGLE
01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
all-atar?
Maybe he means all "altar boy"

baseline bum
01-25-2009, 08:21 PM
I wish it would have happened, just to get rid of the fucking online vote.