PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Ginobili Irked About Lack Of Fight

duncan228
01-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Ginobili irked about lack of fight (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobili_irked_about_lack_of_fight.html)
Mike Monroe

LOS ANGELES — It wasn't the Spurs' 99-85 loss to the Lakers that had ultra-competitive Manu Ginobili seething as he headed out of the Staples Center on Sunday afternoon.

What burned Ginobili was his belief the Spurs stopped competing after the Lakers built a double-digit lead early in the third quarter.

“At halftime we were six down,” Ginobili said, “and then they had a great start of the third with two threes and went up 12, and then everything was uphill. That's when they made their break.”

The Spurs have come back from larger deficits this season, and Ginobili was not happy with his team's response.

“It's going to happen,” he said. “The thing is, we can't allow ourselves to think that just because they scored two threes, just get out of the game and call it a day.”

Ginobili was equally disturbed by what he believes is season-long uneven effort.

“I think what happened today is what has been happening,” he said. “We have two good games and one bad, three good games and one bad.

“That's how it's been all season, and today what happened was just a bad overall game, and not just defensively. We're just not smart enough. They got into the bonus too quick, and we sent them to the line too much.

“Transition defense in the first half hurt us a little bit; too many mistakes against a really good team.”

Popovich treated: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich underwent a successful procedure Friday to remove a basal cell carcinoma growth on the right side of his forehead. Thirty-five stitches were required after the procedure, and Popovich has a large bandage covering the area.

Basal cell carcinoma is a non-melanoma form of skin cancer, and is the most common form of cancer in the United States, according to the American Academy of Dermatology.

“I'm OK,” Popovich said. “It wasn't pleasant, but I'm OK. It's good.”

Croshere scores: Veteran Austin Croshere, signed to a 10-day contract on Jan. 16, scored his second basket with the Spurs in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game.

The Spurs are expected to sign Croshere to a second 10-day contract today. Should they do so, they will have to either sign him for the remainder of the season when it expires, or cut him.

ducks
01-25-2009, 11:47 PM
“It's going to happen,” he said. “The thing is, we can't allow ourselves to think that just because they scored two threes, just get out of the game and call it a day.”

Ginobili was equally disturbed by what he believes is season-long uneven effort.

well he can do something about it
atleast he is pissed

no poster here can

timvp
01-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Popovich treated: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich underwent a successful procedure Friday to remove a basal cell carcinoma growth on the right side of his forehead. Thirty-five stitches were required after the procedure, and Popovich has a large bandage covering the area.

Basal cell carcinoma is a non-melanoma form of skin cancer, and is the most common form of cancer in the United States, according to the American Academy of Dermatology.

“I'm OK,” Popovich said. “It wasn't pleasant, but I'm OK. It's good.” Wow. 35 stitches? That's pretty significant. And he didn't miss a beat or make a big deal about it.

:toast @ continued health

Kori Ellis
01-25-2009, 11:49 PM

35 stitches is a lot for something like this, it must have been very large. I'm glad Pop got it taken care of.

ducks
01-25-2009, 11:51 PM
maybe that was his problem
letting mason run point was stupid

ElNono
01-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Good to hear Pop is well. We need him as much as the big 4 (incluing Bowen here)

IronMexican
01-25-2009, 11:52 PM
I was wondering why he had the bandage.Glad it was succesful :tu

Solid D
01-26-2009, 12:14 AM
35 stitches is a lot for something like this, it must have been very large. I'm glad Pop got it taken care of.
That was my first thought when I saw the bandaid and then I saw the larger bandage a few days later. Skin cancer.

Pop may have had Mohs surgery, which normally takes a larger area. The surgeon's lab then looks at all areas under a microscope but it is supposed to be 95% effective in getting all the cancer. He probably had to get a skin graft to repair it, if it was 35 stitches (some for the grafted area, too).

Personal experience.

Solid D
01-26-2009, 12:18 AM
I feel sure Manu was frustrated with his own performance first, as well as his teammates'. It would have helped if the Spurs could find someone who could score in the 2nd half. That was a clank-fest. At least the bench came in and played some impressive D in the 4th quarter, albeit ugly to watch offensively.

SequSpur
01-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Manu needs to look in the mirror and learn how to go right or it's over for him.

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Ginobili irked about lack of fight (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobili_irked_about_lack_of_fight.html)
Mike Monroe

LOS ANGELES — It wasn't the Spurs' 99-85 loss to the Lakers that had ultra-competitive Manu Ginobili seething as he headed out of the Staples Center on Sunday afternoon.

What burned Ginobili was his belief the Spurs stopped competing after the Lakers built a double-digit lead early in the third quarter.

“At halftime we were six down,” Ginobili said, “and then they had a great start of the third with two threes and went up 12, and then everything was uphill. That's when they made their break.”

The Spurs have come back from larger deficits this season, and Ginobili was not happy with his team's response.

“I think what happened today is what has been happening,” he said. “We have two good games and one bad, three good games and one bad.

“That's how it's been all season, and today what happened was just a bad overall game, and not just defensively. We're just not smart enough. They got into the bonus too quick, and we sent them to the line too much.

“Transition defense in the first half hurt us a little bit; too many mistakes against a really good team.”

Ginobili should first be irked at his cold-shooting, forced shots, and careless turnovers. When his long-ball is off, he should be trying to get closer looks and creating offensive opportunities for others. Instead of driving the ball fearlessly to the basket like he used to, he now uses the 3-ball to setup everything else he does. Except when that shot isn't going down, he continues to "wail away" from the arc, at the expense of other open shooters and in the process, creating transition opportunities for the other team.

Manu is a great enough player and important enough to the team that, by now, he should be able to think and feel game situations and respond according to what the team needs. Whether it be rebounding, a key defensive stop or a timely assist. Those things, along with his aggressive drives to the basket, could still make an impact on the game in other areas when his long-ball shot isn't falling.

ElNono
01-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Ginobili should first be irked at his cold-shooting, forced shots, and careless turnovers. When his long-ball is off, he should be trying to get closer looks and creating offensive opportunities for others. Instead of driving the ball fearlessly to the basket like he used to, he now uses the 3-ball to setup everything else he does. Except when that shot isn't going down, he continues to "wail away" from the arc, at the expense of other open shooters and in the process, creating transition opportunities for the other team.

Manu is a great enough player and important enough to the team that, by now, he should be able to think and feel game situations and respond according to what the team needs. Whether it be rebounding, a key defensive stop or a timely assist. Those things, along with his aggressive drives to the basket, could still make an impact on the game in other areas when his long-ball shot isn't falling.

Agreed. That's why I think his slump is more mental than anything. Here's another example: Last play against New Jersey, Pop draws a Manu penetration that ends with a trey for Finley on the weak side. I recall when Manu used to do that all the time. Drive and dish. We didn't need a timeout and Pop calling the play in years past. It would just happen as part of the game.

slayermin
01-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Glad Pop is ok.

kace
01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobili_irked_about_lack_of_fight.html

By Mike Monroe - Express-News

Croshere scores: Veteran Austin Croshere, signed to a 10-day contract on Jan. 16, scored his second basket with the Spurs in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game.

The Spurs are expected to sign Croshere to a second 10-day contract today. Should they do so, they will have to either sign him for the remainder of the season when it expires, or cut him.

duncan228
01-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Some conversation here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115266

z0sa
01-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I thought this thread was going to be Manu calling Pop out for throwing the white flag with a third of the game to go.

SenorSpur
01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
I thought this thread was going to be Manu calling Pop out for throwing the white flag with a third of the game to go.

Maybe he should have.

While he's at it, he should call himself out for taking numerous ill-advised shots, careless turnovers and other forced plays. All of which doesn't translate into him having "more" fight than anyone else.

Had Manu played better, on both ends of the floor, I could go along with his comments.

z0sa
01-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Maybe he should have.

I'm almost positive Pop has a trade in mind and thats the reason he waved the white flag. Rather than attempt to pull it out in the 4th, rest the starters for the road trip and get the trade happening, a trade no doubt geared at getting a big man.

DespЏrado
01-27-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm almost positive Pop has a trade in mind and thats the reason he waved the white flag. Rather than attempt to pull it out in the 4th, rest the starters for the road trip and get the trade happening, a trade no doubt geared at getting a big man.

What you just said makes no sense; Pop has never changed how he coaches a game for a trade. Unless the trade has already happened, he has never held back from trying to win a game just because he thinks a trade might happen.

kace
01-27-2009, 05:10 PM
EDIT: sorry. i've checked but i obviously missed it was already posted.

should have known duncan228 couldn't have missed it ;)

z0sa
01-27-2009, 05:27 PM
What you just said makes no sense; Pop has never changed how he coaches a game for a trade. Unless the trade has already happened, he has never held back from trying to win a game just because he thinks a trade might happen.

So you didnt see Pop give up obviously, which means you've got a better theory than mine. But why wouldn't you have included said theory in your above post? Because you missed the whole point of not only my post but the situation?

Perhaps there's no trade, but its the best theory as to why Pop gave up with a third of the game to go against a team we should have fought DESPERATELY to the very end considering not only standings, but team confidence.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2009, 07:01 PM

My dad's had a couple of them. 35 stitches is probably a little bigger than average. The carcinomas grow really fast.