PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Manu Holds The Answer To ‘How'

duncan228
01-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Manu holds the answer to ‘how' (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Manu_holds_the_answer_to_how.html)
Buck Harvey

LOS ANGELES — Manu Ginobili is back, all right.

Back to last spring.

He walked out of the Staples Center on Sunday with the kind of single-digit game he had a year ago here in the Western Conference finals. But he also wasn't all the way back. This time he didn't have a limp or an excuse.

This time he was just another guy caught in the wave of the new-age Showtime. This time he wasn't being asked about his four turnovers, or if he can become what he once was, but about the Lakers.

Are they better than any team the Spurs have beaten on their way to championships?

Ginobili shrugged nicely. This is what he does when he's asked something he doesn't agree with.

Maybe, he said.

Make no mistake. The Lakers look Magic-Kareem great, especially when Jack Nicholson is as close to them at the 3-point line as the Spurs' defenders are. Kobe Bryant swished an open three to open the second half, then Derek Fisher followed with another.

Gregg Popovich called time and didn't huddle with his assistants first, because it wasn't necessary. Popovich knew exactly what he had to say to his players.

“The game was over at that point,” Popovich said afterward, and that is telling of the Spurs' margin of error against the Lakers. If the Spurs suffer through a few mental blips a minute into the second half, then all hope is lost?

Popovich called the Lakers “young, athletic, long and deep, inside game, outside game,” and he could have kept going. The Lakers seemingly have two of everything, and they have one Kobe. Sunday, for the first time all season, they had everyone healthy.

As for the Spurs' tight win against the Lakers in San Antonio: Think Jordan Farmar and his 14 points in 17 minutes would have changed things 10 days ago?

The Lakers went home after that loss and fell to Orlando, too, suggesting again they can be beaten. But they also have the league's best winning percentage, along with a sense they are still coming together.

Andrew Bynum had a 42-point game last week, for example. Yet his muscle against Tim Duncan, along with four blocks, might have been more impressive.

Add it up, and the Lakers look stronger than any time since early in the century, when they twice beat the Spurs in the playoffs. The difference between the two Lakers teams is three titles, as well as style.

“I don't know if we were as versatile as we are now,” Fisher said. “We can play a lot of different lineups with a lot of different guys in different spots ... it's fun to be a part of it.”

This is fun for them, too: The Spurs, currently the second-best in the West, are about as close to the Lakers in the standings as they are to being out of the playoffs entirely.

Still, the Spurs have a few things going for them, and one is the relative insignificance of a January game. Another is their traditional timing, since they usually come together during the rodeo road trip.

Another could be the Lakers themselves. Their championship teams of this decade were as smart as they were talented, and they meshed as the best Spurs teams did. This group is more a collection of athletes who do different things.

Just as they cracked against the Celtics a year ago, could they again?

But none of it matters if Ginobili continues to leave the Staples Center the same way. He scored 27 against the Lakers in San Antonio, and he continues to show signs that he's back. But if this is the status of today's Ginobili, an up-and-down sub, then that won't be enough.

This goes back to 2005. Then the Spurs met the best team they played on their way to any of their championships, Detroit. The Pistons were composed, talented and in sync.

“How did we ever beat them?” Popovich said afterward.

How? Ginobili became what he had been for the Argentina national team — someone with the magic and toughness to counter anything thrown at him.

Ginobili will have to be back, to that level, if the Spurs are to beat the Lakers.

ducks
01-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Ginobili will have to be back, to that level, if the Spurs are to beat the Lakers.

unreal
I guess all the other spur players better not play since manu is the only one deciding the outcome of the game

timvp
01-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Agree with Buck. The Spurs' hopes this year rely on the Big Three remaining healthy and Manu turning back into a superstar. If that doesn't happen, the Lakers will have a free pass to getting curbstomped in the Finals again.

ducks
01-26-2009, 12:00 AM
I disagree I think mason instead of manu last year against lakers
spurs one
this year spurs need a good manu because they got Bynum
they do not need a great manu
the other players would have to play better though
a superstar manu would make it easier though

DesignatedT
01-26-2009, 12:01 AM
its true tho.. if manu isnt healthy or in the right mind or whatever.. were done.

he used to be are best player behind the arc and are best player taking it to the rim. now its like he cant hit a 3 if his life depended on it and he might take it to the rim once out of every 10 possessions. im not giving up on him or anything just yet but i am just saying its pretty obvious that if he isnt there to help out tim and tony and take some pressure off them then we are cooked.

i mean rmj has been great and having him is going to help tremendously in the playoffs and im not saying manu is the only thing wrong with the spurs.. i would like to see us get another athletics big.. just like everyone else.. but no matter who we get or if roger is hitting 60% from 3. all 3 of our stars have to be able to play. tim, tony, and manu.

raspsa
01-26-2009, 12:17 AM
[B][URL="http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Manu_holds_the_answer_to_how.html"] Kobe Bryant swished an open three to open the second half, then Derek Fisher followed with another.

Gregg Popovich called time and didn't huddle with his assistants first, because it wasn't necessary. Popovich knew exactly what he had to say to his players.

“The game was over at that point,” Popovich said afterward, and that is telling of the Spurs' margin of error against the Lakers.

I was tuned into Pop's frequency.. that was when I shut off the TV went back to sleep..

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-26-2009, 12:33 AM

unreal
I guess all the other spur players better not play since manu is the only one deciding the outcome of the game

:lol

If Buck said that the Spurs just needed Parker to play incredible ball you'd be here licking his nuts.

Flux451
01-26-2009, 12:34 AM
knowing the outcomes of games, win/lose, this was the first time I didn't watch a full spurs game I recorded...didn't want to have a bad night

mrspurs
01-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Ginobili will have to be back, to that level, if the Spurs are to beat the Lakers. I beg to differ, we need the ole Manu just to keep up with the Lakers. We haven't found an answer for defending Gasol and Bynum.

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Ginobili will have to be back, to that level, if the Spurs are to beat the Lakers. I beg to differ, we need the ole Manu just to keep up with the Lakers. We haven't found an answer for defending Gasol and Bynum.

:tu

Amuseddaysleeper
01-26-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm a little concerned that even if Manu goes back to "old Manu" that Kobe guarding him could still severely limit his production.

Having said that, Kobe guarding Manu could cause Kobe to wear himself out as the game goes on.

I also agree with SenorSpur on Manu completely shying away from attacking the rim, especially when his outside shot isn't falling.

TMTTRIO
01-26-2009, 01:05 AM
I'm a little concerned about Manu's play but I'm going to give it a little bit more time. Like Manu said on that interview this was the first time he hasn't trained or played any basketball in three months and that he feels great but just needs to get conditioning and rhythm down so I hope that's soon. If he's not in form after the AS Break I'll start to worry :depressed. The good thing though is I've seen a few glimpses and games where he looks like the Manu that we all love. Now he needs to work on putting it together.

wildbill2u
01-26-2009, 01:22 AM
This is still a big man's game despite all the superstar guards in the league. If Bynum develops into the Beast and Gasol continues to show both great offense and defense, along with Kobe, the best player in the game, then the Lakers are unbeatable in the West in a seven game series.

we're in trouble because we keep having good seasons that leave us without the great lottery pick in the draft. Say all you want about Hill being better than expected, he'll never be a superstar that can carry the team.

roycrikside
01-26-2009, 02:31 AM
I disagree I think mason instead of manu last year against lakers
spurs one
this year spurs need a good manu because they got Bynum
they do not need a great manu
the other players would have to play better though
a superstar manu would make it easier though

Ducks you are retarded. You act like Manu hasn't had a good game since 2005. He had his best season last year. Have you forgotten all the 40 point games, all the game winning shots, the way he carried the team on his back pretty much the first 2/3 of the season? You tell me you have no memory of any of that?

Even in the playoffs, where you keep telling everyone that Manu sucked because all you remember is the Lakers series, Manu led the team in points and assists against the Hornets.

None of this rings a bell?

1Parker1
01-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Agreed. This team goes as far as Ginobili takes them. Credit Kobe though yesterday, he played some pretty good defense on Ginobili, as did Ariza it was I think,

Lakers have a lot of players to throw at Ginobili and defend him; Kobe, Ariza, Odom, even Luke Walton. Not only that, but he has to work at the other end expending energy to defend those guys. Pistons had one lone defender, Tayshaun Prince, to throw at Ginobili in 2005. Not only that, but Ginobili basically had to defend Prince (at best a 4th option) on that team so he didn't have to expend so much energy at that end either.

2Cleva
01-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Agree with Buck. The Spurs' hopes this year rely on the Big Three remaining healthy and Manu turning back into a superstar. If that doesn't happen, the Lakers will have a free pass to getting curbstomped in the Finals again.

Different result in the Finals same as the reason their is little hope in the West.

Bynum and Ariza wasn't healthy in the Finals.

If they were, Boston would have got the same thing SA got yesterday. No more of Perkins guarding Gasol and KG zoning up.

Manu-of-steel
01-26-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm a little concerned that even if Manu goes back to "old Manu" that Kobe guarding him could still severely limit his production.

Having said that, Kobe guarding Manu could cause Kobe to wear himself out as the game goes on.

I also agree with SenorSpur on Manu completely shying away from attacking the rim, especially when his outside shot isn't falling.

manu may not be attacking the rim as often as we want him to. this is called pacing yourself for the long grind. timmy can also try to attack the basket everytime he has the ball, and score. same with tony, he can use his speed to be on a constant attack mode. but we know the spurs don't want to spend all their energy in the regular season.

Bruno
01-26-2009, 09:59 AM
As Pop said few weeks ago :
“We're just not in the same league with the Lakers right now."

I trust Manu and I think he can and will be back at a great level for the playoffs but I really wonder if it will be enough.

Spurs are damn old at the SF, PF and C. For the playoffs, Bruce will be 37 years old, Finely 36, Bonner 29, Thomas 36 and Oberto 34. Most of these players are also quite small/unathletic/slow. I won't rule them out since most of them are also solid players but Spurs' situation is quite worrisome.

hater
01-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I am not worried at all. As long as manu stays healthy he will contribute in playoffs. Also as long as Pop tells Duncan to put the Spurs on his back in the offseason. All the offensive plays should be going through Tim when he's on the floor. plain and simple

it's january so I am not worried about spurs effort. But then again, even once Spurs get all that together, still might not be enough to beat the Lakers.

Ice009
01-26-2009, 10:22 AM
I think Manu and Bruce need to be starting.

How did we ever beat the Pistons? One thing we had was Manu starting in that series. I think starting will help him get into a rhythm again. If you remember earlier in the season I thought the Spurs were starting to get some consistency when Pop started Manu for a few games then he just benched him again for no real reason.

WalterBenitez
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
TD played well, TP so so, Manu ... well, he was in off evening mode!

mystargtr34
01-26-2009, 07:15 PM
This team reminds me of my kitchen rubbish bin when i first moved out of home to start uni. Its nearly full, but you dont wanna take it out and empty it yet because you know you can fit more in there. Then eventually it gets full and you cant fit anything else in there so you start putting cans and rubbish on the table until your forced to take it to live proply.

BuzzerBeater
01-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Just a thought here, and it's unscientific but.......does anyone here notice how the Spurs Jan slumping coincides with the cedar fever-causing pollen that blows out of the Hill Country round this time of the year?
Just a thought..................