View Full Version : Ariza anyone?

DMX7
01-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Anyone think he would be a good addition this off-season to fill in the starting small forward position? I still can't believe we're paying Bruce 4 million. I like the guy but that's just too much.

21_Blessings
01-26-2009, 12:38 AM
No you can't have him

Lakers_55
01-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Well, Laker owner Jerry Buss says he'll pay the luxury tax to keep this Laker team together...If you want a good ex-Laker, try for Rony Turiaf, he would fit with the Spurs.

21_Blessings
01-26-2009, 12:39 AM
you can take Sasha though

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Anyone think he would be a good addition this off-season to fill in the starting small forward position? I still can't believe we're paying Bruce 4 million. I like the guy but that's just too much.

Yes, I've been saying this for 2 years. I thought the Spurs made a mistake by not going after him when he left Orlando a couple of summers ago.

DMX7
01-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Well, Laker owner Jerry Buss says he'll pay the luxury tax to keep this Laker team together...If you want a good ex-Laker, try for Rony Turiaf, he would fit with the Spurs.

Actually, he would probably be a cheaper version of Kurt Thomas. But Buss will have to pay tax because that team is going to get too expensive and no one is taking Walton's horrible contract.

ElNono
01-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Actually, he would probably be a cheaper version of Kurt Thomas. But Buss will have to pay tax because that team is going to get too expensive and no one is taking Walton's horrible contract.

The Grizzlies would. Walton for OJ Mayo sounds fair... :rolleyes

IronMexican
01-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Take Sasha. Ariza is my man-crush.

objective
01-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Yes, I've been saying this for 2 years. I thought the Spurs made a mistake by not going after him when he left Orlando a couple of summers ago.

Actually, the mistake was in the 2004 draft, when the Spurs traded up to 42 to select an 18 year old, 6-8 small forward from a small technical college in Viktor Sanikidze.

The very next selection was another 6-8, 18 year old small forward but who only played at some school called UCLA: Trevor Ariza.

Austin_Toros
01-26-2009, 01:39 AM
I still can't believe we're paying Bruce 4 million. I like the guy but that's just too much.
c'mon man.
Bruce has dont heaps for this club and if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have those championships.

Actually, the mistake was in the 2004 draft, when the Spurs traded up to 42 to select an 18 year old, 6-8 small forward from a small technical college in Viktor Sanikidze.
The very next selection was another 6-8, 18 year old small forward but who only played at some school called UCLA: Trevor Ariza.

Now THAT was a blunder, although you can't blame the organisation.
Sanikidze over Ariza is a shame as Ariza has now proven he's a darn good player.

But hey, it goes to show that european talent isn't ALWAYS good for the spurs.
More importantly though, we don't know what will become of Sanikidze...

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 01:47 AM

Touche'

Another example of the Spurs mining the bottom of the international talent pool - ad nauseum - at the expense of domestic talent. With the way he's developed, Ariza would have been a perfect answer to the "long-three" question that has been plaguing this team for years.

DMX7
01-26-2009, 03:22 AM
Touche'

Another example of the Spurs mining the bottom of the international talent pool - ad nauseum - at the expense of domestic talent. With the way he's developed, Ariza would have been a perfect answer to the "long-three" question that has been plaguing this team for years.

Bingo!

Ice009
01-26-2009, 03:23 AM

So did I. I thought the Spurs should have gotten him a couple of seasons ago to be groomed by Bruce. I don't want him because he's playing good ball now. i thought he was a decent prospect before he ever joined the Lakers.

Stupid stuff from the Spurs to not give him a go. I think I read at the time his offensive game was too raw so the Spurs weren't interested. He would have been a good fit.

mathbzh
01-26-2009, 04:14 AM
Touche'

It is easy to say. There is a reason why Ariza was still available late in the draft.

Since 2000 the Spurs have drafted some US players in the 2nd round.
Marcus Williams, James Gist, Randy Holcomb (traded on draft night), Bryan Bracey, Chris Carrawell. The jury is still out on Gist and Williams, but where are the others?
Late in the second round there are very few gems (US or not) and you are very competent/lucky if you can find one.

Rapper
01-26-2009, 04:23 AM
He sucks at Defense

venitian navigator
01-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Ariza and Odom are both in the last year of their contracts....and both would likely command big money...
Lakers payroll is over 70 millions next year.
Chances we land one or both of them ?

mrspurs
01-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Bingo!

Double Bingo......

exstatic
01-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Ariza and Odom are both in the last year of their contracts....and both would likely command big money...

You are correct. The Laker payroll will be $75M without Odom or Ariza. No chance at Odom. He'll command premium dollars.

As for not getting Ariza when he "left" Orlando "a couple of years ago", that would have been difficult. He was traded to the Lakers last year, for Cook, I believe. If you're going to bitch at the front office, you should have your facts straight, and it should actually be someone they missed.

benefactor
01-26-2009, 08:35 AM
I am sure that they will do what it takes to re-sign Ariza. He is really turning out to be a nice player and LA would be foolish to let him go. Odom is a different story though. He might want more money than LA is willing to offer. That being said, I don't know if I would want Odom. He is incredibly inconsistent and has a habit of coming up empty in the playoffs.

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 08:44 AM
So did I. I thought the Spurs should have gotten him a couple of seasons ago to be groomed by Bruce. I don't want him because he's playing good ball now. i thought he was a decent prospect before he ever joined the Lakers.

Stupid stuff from the Spurs to not give him a go. I think I read at the time his offensive game was too raw so the Spurs weren't interested. He would have been a good fit.

Too raw? You got to be kidding. They can't be serious. Anyone drafted in the 2nd round isn't a ready-made talent. I saw him a few seasons ago and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Now he's drilling open 3's. That's why the strategy is called developing young talent. It was still a gross oversight on the part of the Spurs.

2Cleva
01-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Ariza returning to LA is a near-lock. No worries about that from LA. They'll meet any MLE offer with ease.

LO is the one not likely back but unless a team has major cap space, he may re-sign for LA cheaper.

Buss doesn't want to pay over $100 mil in salary/tax but he's always paid after a ring. If LA wins it all, I expect both back. No matter what though Ariza stays. Mitch has been after him since that draft.

And the trade was Cook and Evans for Ariza.

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 08:54 AM
It is easy to say. There is a reason why Ariza was still available late in the draft.

Since 2000 the Spurs have drafted some US players in the 2nd round.
Marcus Williams, James Gist, Randy Holcomb (traded on draft night), Bryan Bracey, Chris Carrawell. The jury is still out on Gist and Williams, but where are the others?
Late in the second round there are very few gems (US or not) and you are very competent/lucky if you can find one.

That may be, but that doesn't mean you stop drafting and developing talent. If the Spurs decided to take that approach, they never would've found TP and Manu in the first place. Furthermore their strategy of exclusively bypassing domestic talent, from '99 through '07, to focus strictly on international talent hasn't exactly panned out well either. As for the specific 2004 draft, all I know is that Viktor Sanikidze isn't even in the NBA. Ariza has developed into a nice player.

mathbzh
01-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Why do you think they stopped drafting and developing talent?
They found TP and Manu as you said. If you go further Beno, Scola, Splitter... all have talent. They were probably just thinking Sanikidze was a better pick than Ariza.
I agree they were wrong on that one. I just said it is easy to say. Their previous US draft pick did not pan out either.

Just one more thing, on that draft they could have pick Noccioni.
Even in the international pool there was some talent available.
You can't always predict who will become a legitimate NBA player.

picnroll
01-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Looking forward to the next CBA and a hard cap. :p:

Ice009
01-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Ariza returning to LA is a near-lock. No worries about that from LA. They'll meet any MLE offer with ease.

LO is the one not likely back but unless a team has major cap space, he may re-sign for LA cheaper.

Buss doesn't want to pay over $100 mil in salary/tax but he's always paid after a ring. If LA wins it all, I expect both back. No matter what though Ariza stays. Mitch has been after him since that draft.

And the trade was Cook and Evans for Ariza.

I thought that was a very underrated trade. Now it turns out it was an awesome trade.

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I am sure that they will do what it takes to re-sign Ariza. He is really turning out to be a nice player and LA would be foolish to let him go. Odom is a different story though. He might want more money than LA is willing to offer. That being said, I don't know if I would want Odom. He is incredibly inconsistent and has a habit of coming up empty in the playoffs.

I don't want Odom either. Too expensive for his low level of production.

DrHouse
01-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Mitch has certainly redeemed himself after a pretty awful first couple of years.

Ariza, Gasol, and even Powell have all been awesome additions to the team.

DPG21920
01-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Why on earth would they let Ariza go, especially if they knew the Spurs would sign him? He is far to valuable and the Lakers clearly have no problem paying the luxury tax. Ariza has already stated he loves LA and is going to return.

Now, nothing is 100%, but this is close.

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Mitch has certainly redeemed himself after a pretty awful first couple of years.

Ariza, Gasol, and even Powell have all been awesome additions to the team.

It's amazing in that just 2 summers ago, Kobe and others were ready to run Kupchack out of town. I'm sure he didn't get any smarter during that time. Remember when Kobe wanted Bynum traded in favor of JKidd. Proving once again that teams should let their superstars be GMs.

21_Blessings
01-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Remember when Kobe wanted Bynum traded in favor of JKidd.

Phil was also in favor of a Bynum for Kidd trade. Ultimately it was an owner decision. lol @ anyone that thinks Mitch actually makes the big decisions in LA.

WayOutWest
01-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Phil was also in favor of a Bynum for Kidd trade. Ultimately it was an owner decision. lol @ anyone that thinks Mitch actually makes the big decisions in LA.

It was Buss's son, I forget his name, he will not let Bynum go regardless of what anybody says because that is his only contribution to the team thus far and his entire Lakers life is that pick.

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 12:50 PM

Whatever. The fact is your superstar criticized the decision NOT to trade for Kidd. The point is, regardless of what team you root for, you don't want your players trying to play GM.

21_Blessings
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
It was Buss's son, I forget his name, he will not let Bynum go regardless of what anybody says because that is his only contribution to the team thus far and his entire Lakers life is that pick.

I know, Jimmy Buss. Considering the Lakers are his team after Jerry dies it was basically an owner decision.

And that being his only contribution to the team isn't really true. He also had a hand in drafting Ronny Turiaf (per Jerry Buss himself). Besides that, if it wasn't for Jimmy Sean May could have been on the Lakers roster as of right now instead of Bynum. That's a pretty HUGE contribution to the Lakers future if you ask me.

turiaf for president
01-26-2009, 01:01 PM
^ agreed. or even gerald green. i remember the laker scouts were on his nuts. they were thinking about trading up for webster or frye also lol