PDA

View Full Version : In just 2 short weeks...

whottt
01-26-2009, 01:13 AM
@ February 9th, one David Robinson should be announced as a finalist for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2009. :tu

SenorSpur
01-26-2009, 01:16 AM
1st ballot HOFer, along with the Great One - MJ

whottt
01-26-2009, 01:19 AM
It's gonna be a real strong class...Stockton is in it also.

NewJerSpur
01-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Do it Davie boy, do it.

EricB
01-26-2009, 01:57 AM
Dream > Drob

Sorry, had to start it....

What does that have to do with the thread?

honestfool84
01-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Dream > Drob

actually, you didn't have to start it.

thanks for trying, though.

duncan228
01-26-2009, 02:05 AM
What an honor. He's a great man, he was a great player. His legacy lives on in the Spurs today, I'm sure it always will. :toast

baseline bum
01-26-2009, 02:58 AM
The Hall of Fame pays such disrespect to the NBA, but they can't really fuck around this time with David, MJ, and Stockton. Part of me really wants to go see David get inducted, but the other part of me hates the basketball HOF and the whole area from Philly to Rhode Island, and I can't think of anything else I'd like to do in that part of the country for the rest of my vacation days.

whottt
01-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Bumpity

PM5K
01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
What the fuck are you bumping this thread for?

whottt
01-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Because I wanted to.

Solid D
01-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Automatic bids to Springfield for all 3 of those guys. Here's to the Admiral!

CubanMustGo
01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
No doubt Big Dave will get lost in all the media's MJ glare. It's a shame he couldn't hang around another season but you can't blame him for going out on top like he did.

PM5K
01-29-2009, 02:48 AM
Bumpity

anakha
01-29-2009, 03:38 AM
Robinson more than deserves to make it in, considering what he's achieved outside of NBA basketball:

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/ro/david-robinson-1.html

1 bronze medal and 2 gold medals in three separate Olympic stints? That, on top of his NBA achievements, had better be more than enough to cement his status.

whottt
01-29-2009, 04:27 AM
Robinson more than deserves to make it in, considering what he's achieved outside of NBA basketball:

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/ro/david-robinson-1.html

1 bronze medal and 2 gold medals in three separate Olympic stints? That, on top of his NBA achievements, had better be more than enough to cement his status.

Don't forget his gold in the 1986 World Championships(over Sabonis), which no one ever mentions, they just mention him losing to Sabonis in the Olympics....if he'd had Kerr and Elliott on that 88 Olympic Team, like he did in 86, he might not have lost that one either...there's a reason he likes Kerr taking those threes, and it's not just because of his Spurs career....and you know, those guys had a little magic in the NBA too once they all got on the same team.

And his Silver in the 87 Pan Am Games...he only played 15 minutes in the Gold Medal Game because of foul trouble, still put up a 20 10 line...meanwhile, Oscar Schmidt(in the game that made him) scored 21 points just on threes(46 points overall) for Brazil.

David pretty much holds every career record in the Team USA book...including most teams played on, Olympics(3) Team USA(5)...

That's why he's the only male basketball player in the Olympic Hall of Fame...

They've given the Howler his due...they were the first to do so. Now they just need to retire his jersey :smokin

Not too bad an amateur ball record(read played for free)for a guy who "didn't love the game"...

My favorite Drob record was that at one point in about 1996, he was the NBA career leader in blocks per game, the college leader in career blocks and single season blocks per game and total blocks, and the Team USA and Olympics leader in career blocks...

That's a shotblocking mofo there...

whottt
01-29-2009, 04:35 AM
Bumpity

Good bump

J.T.
01-29-2009, 05:02 AM
DRob in his prime would Whoop. Andrew. Bynum's. Ass.

:toast

Hemotivo
01-29-2009, 07:48 AM
And his Silver in the 87 Pan Am Games...he only played 15 minutes in the Gold Medal Game because of foul trouble, still put up a 20 10 line...meanwhile, Oscar Schmidt(in the game that made him) scored 21 points just on threes(46 points overall) for Brazil.

i remember that game really well, a classic

oscar was amazing

samikeyp
01-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Dream > Drob

They are both hall of famers.

whottt
02-03-2009, 03:32 AM
6 days to go?

7 days to go?

Did you know David Robinson's teamates in the Navy gave him a nickname because he used to harass the opposing players so much on their FT's?

Didn't love the game...as you can tell by all those Spurs home games he attends(and sometimes road games in the playoffs)....and the fact that he was given a nickname for harassing opposing players.

Bonus points to whoever can guess the nickname his college teamates gave him.

m33p0
02-03-2009, 03:33 AM
6 days to go?

7 days to go?

Did you know David Robinson's teamates in the Navy gave him a nickname because he used to harass the opposing players so much on their FT's?

Didn't love the game...as you can tell by all those Spurs home games he attends(and sometimes road games in the playoffs)....and the fact that he was given a nickname for harassing opposing players.

Bonus points to whoever can guess the nickname his college teamates gave him.
Mouth?

whottt
02-03-2009, 03:33 AM
No points for you.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-03-2009, 03:38 AM
Good thread. I miss 50.

timvp
02-03-2009, 03:38 AM
Nickname initials = TH

But I'll see if anyone else knows . . .

tp2021
02-03-2009, 03:41 AM
The Howler
:wakeup

m33p0
02-03-2009, 03:46 AM
Don't forget his gold in the 1986 World Championships(over Sabonis), which no one ever mentions, they just mention him losing to Sabonis in the Olympics....if he'd had Kerr and Elliott on that 88 Olympic Team, like he did in 86, he might not have lost that one either...there's a reason he likes Kerr taking those threes, and it's not just because of his Spurs career....and you know, those guys had a little magic in the NBA too once they all got on the same team.

David pretty much holds every career record in the Team USA book...including most teams played on, Olympics(3) Team USA(5)...

They've given the Howler his due...they were the first to do so. Now they just need to retire his jersey :smokin

Not too bad an amateur ball record(read played for free)for a guy who "didn't love the game"...

My favorite Drob record was that at one point in about 1996, he was the NBA career leader in blocks per game, the college leader in career blocks and single season blocks per game and total blocks, and the Team USA and Olympics leader in career blocks...

and there was the answer all the time. :shootme

alamo50
02-03-2009, 05:28 AM

Great post whottt.
Anybody else gonna try to get ticket(s) to the induction in Springfield in September?

Spurs Brazil
02-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Jordan, Robinson And Stockton Expected HOF Finalists

Candidates with NBA and WNBA ties eligible to be selected as a Finalist for the Class of 2009 are highlighted by first time nominees Michael Jordan, David Robinson, John Stockton, Cynthia Cooper and Jerry Sloan. Previous Finalists leading the list of 2009 Hall of Fame candidates include NBA Legends Chris Mullin, Don Nelson, Maurice Cheeks, Richie Guerrin, Dennis Johnson and Bernard King.

Four separate Hall of Fame Screening Committees (North American, Women's, Veteran's and International) review candidates in their respective group and select the Finalists, whose names will be revealed for the first time publicly on February 13th.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57124/20090209/jordan_robinson_and_stockton_expected_hof_finalist s/

angelbelow
02-09-2009, 04:42 PM
whooooooo!!

TampaDude
02-09-2009, 05:06 PM
DRob is the reason my wife and I are Spurs fans...congrats to The Admiral!!! :toast

baseline bum
02-09-2009, 05:20 PM
How the hell is Bernard King not in the HOF? If David, Jordan, and Stockton don't go in together Stern should go burn the HOF down himself.

DeadlyDynasty
02-09-2009, 05:22 PM
DRob in his prime would Whoop. Andrew. Bynum's. Ass.

:toast

Considering Bynum hasn't reached his prime yet...yeah, no shit. Admiral is def a HOF, but I'll never forget the year he stole MVP over Hakeem--and what Hakeem did to him in the playoffs that year. Still, first ballot HOFer

Galileo
02-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Bernard King, Dennis Johnson, and Artis Gilmore all belong in the hall-of-fame. You'd think Mullin would get in as well, when you factor in his college and Olympic work.

baseline bum
02-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Admiral is def a HOF, but I'll never forget the year he stole MVP over Hakeemr

Payback for Hakeem stealing David's MVP in '94.

Spursfan092120
02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Dream > Drob

Completely unsure what that has to do with a great man like Big Dave getting into the HOF, or why it HAD to be started, but ok. Let's try to keep this thread on topic..Admiral...HOF...and...GO!

DeadlyDynasty
02-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Payback for Hakeem stealing David's MVP in '94.

I don't recall the MVP race that year like I do in 95, but I'm sure you're right.

Had to find video of the 95 race cause that WCF is still burned in my memory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4uXlRGAF0