PDA

View Full Version : Coach of team that won 100-0 fired

Ghazi
01-26-2009, 03:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=AlfSZS_.ZO4fSaJq5wYuNoMazJV4?slug=ap-hundredpointshutout&prov=ap&type=lgns

DISCUSS! I think that's harsh!

Allanon
01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Covenant is a "christian school". Can't really have a coach with no mercy against some retarded kids can they?

It's harsh but somebody had to take the blame.

ClingingMars
01-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Covenant is a "christian school". Can't really have a coach with no mercy against some retarded kids can they?

It's harsh but somebody had to take the blame.

dumb decision for these 2 schools to play each other, but even dumber decision to fire the coach.

The Christian school only has 8 players...so that means 2 starters will always be on the court.

The score via quarters was: 35, 24, 29, 12. If the score was 75-0, would that have represented a Christian school better?

from the school:

"We want to represent Christ with the highest respect, we don't want to humiliate anyone ever and we want our students to be enthusiastic in everything they do."

Yes, yes....give it your best...unless you're way better than someone else...then just half-ass it. That's the Christian way. :rolleyes

again, these schools never should have played, but firing the coach wasn't the answer. This falls on the AD's shoulders.

slowchild25
01-26-2009, 04:19 PM
dumb decision for these 2 schools to play each other, but even dumber decision to fire the coach.

The Christian school only has 8 players...so that means 2 starters will always be on the court.

The score via quarters was: 35, 24, 29, 12. If the score was 75-0, would that have represented a Christian school better?

from the school:

Yes, yes....give it your best...unless you're way better than someone else...then just half-ass it. That's the Christian way. :rolleyes

again, these schools never should have played, but firing the coach wasn't the answer. This falls on the AD's shoulders.

Everything I have read says the losing team had 8 players. And the winning team kept the press on the entire game until they got to 100 points. That's a bit excessive.

Allanon
01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Sports are a competition, I get that. You wanna beat the opponent into a pulp. If this was UCLA vs USC, only guy who might get fired would be the losing coach. And there would be a winner's parade for the conquerors.

But c'mon, the losers were "special needs" kids, those kids you see riding those tiny ass little busses.

The firing was harsh but the coach should have apologized, instead of calling out Coventry admins for apologizing. It's a public relations nightmare and a fund killer for a private christian school.

Somebody had to take the fall.

manufor3
01-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Sports are a competition, I get that. You wanna beat the opponent into a pulp. If this was UCLA vs USC, only guy who might get fired would be the losing coach. And there would be a winner's parade for the conquerors.

But c'mon, the losers were "special needs" kids, those kids you see riding those tiny ass little busses.

The firing was harsh but the coach should have apologized, instead of calling out Coventry admins for apologizing. It's a public relations nightmare and a fund killer for a private christian school.

Somebody had to take the fall.

"special needs"

These kids have ADHD (BTW Chris Kaman has it) and dyslexia, which shouldnt affect b-ball skills. that coach should be hired by dallas academy

Holmes_Fans
01-26-2009, 04:42 PM
They are not retarded. They are kids who have dyslexia and learning disabilities. Huge difference. They could probably score higher then Vince Young on the wonderlic.

jack sommerset
01-26-2009, 04:51 PM
I think a warning to the coach should have been enough. This story keeps on going and going and going.

Allanon
01-26-2009, 04:59 PM
In the old days, we'd call them retarded or dumb, nowadays, they have "special needs", "learning disabilities", AD, "dyslexia".

Diagnosis has improved but that doesn't change the fact that alot of them are screwed in the head. That team of "special needs" kids stood no chance of winning that game against normal people with no disabilities.

Holmes_Fans
01-26-2009, 05:54 PM
There is a big difference between being mentally retarded and just having ADHD or dyslexia.

ploto
01-26-2009, 06:13 PM
THIS is why he got fired:

The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper saying he will not apologize “for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.”

Kyle Queal, the headmaster for Covenant School, said in The Dallas Morning News online edition that he could not answer if the firing was a direct result of coach Micah Grimes’ e-mail disagreeing with administrators who called the blowout “shameful.”

Grimes, who has been criticized for letting the game get so far out of hand, made it clear in the e-mail Sunday to the newspaper that he does not agree with his school’s assessment.

“In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Web site, I do not agree with the apology or the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel embarrassed or ashamed,” Grimes wrote in the e-mail, according to the newspaper. “We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent...
When you run a full court press in the second half of a game with that score, you are indeed running up the score. And if you were not running up the score with some specific goal in mind, then why did you stop at 100 with 4 minutes to go?

The guy did not lose his job for the game but for his actions after it- after he defied the administration.

Cry Havoc
01-26-2009, 06:15 PM
There is a big difference between being mentally retarded and just having ADHD or dyslexia.

Yes, obviously the condition they have does not affect them athletically. That's why they couldn't score a point in a four quarter basketball game.

The point of athletics in high school is to HAVE FUN. IT IS A GAME OF SPORTSMANSHIP. A win is a win. You don't need to completely annihilate a team that has no chance of beating you in high school basketball. Even if they would have played a standard half court press, chances are that team doesn't score more than 2 or 3 FGs the entire game. What is served by making that team suffer through 4 periods of complete helplessness?

Furthermore, the coach is an IDIOT. Do you go deep, 50 yards downfield with your best receiver when you're winning 42-0 in the 4th Quarter of a football game? There was a heightened chance that by pressing excessively, one of his girls (or the other team's, for that matter) would have been injured. I'm not a sore loser, but if I look up and it's ~80-0 and someone is still RIGHT in my face when I've got the ball, the next time they go up for a layup or try to score a quick three to make it more lopsided, I'm going to send a message, since apparently that's what the team that's beating me so badly is attempting to do. You really want to play hard until the end? Fine. I'll play hard and make sure you don't get any more "easy" points.

ploto
01-26-2009, 06:15 PM
dumb decision for these 2 schools to play each other, but even dumber decision to fire the coach...

I posted this before:

TAPPS is the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Non-public schools of all types are members of this entity and compete not only in athletic competitions, but academic and fine arts, as well. Schools are divided into divisions, just like UIL is, by the size of the school.

CLASSIFICATIONS (CLASSES). Participating high schools shall be divided into
classifications for the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 school years according to the following enrollments:

Class 5A.......425 and above
Class 4A.......193-424
Class 3A.......108-191
Class 2A........59-107
Class 1A..........1-58

Dallas Academy and Covenant both have enrollments within those 2A parameters. Dallas Academy is barely big enough and Covenant is barely small enough, but they both fall into the range.

BlackSwordsMan
01-26-2009, 07:26 PM
this country has grown a vagina

Holmes_Fans
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
I posted this before:

TAPPS is the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Non-public schools of all types are members of this entity and compete not only in athletic competitions, but academic and fine arts, as well. Schools are divided into divisions, just like UIL is, by the size of the school.

CLASSIFICATIONS (CLASSES). Participating high schools shall be divided into
classifications for the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 school years according to the following enrollments:

Class 5A.......425 and above
Class 4A.......193-424
Class 3A.......108-191
Class 2A........59-107
Class 1A..........1-58

Dallas Academy and Covenant both have enrollments within those 2A parameters. Dallas Academy is barely big enough and Covenant is barely small enough, but they both fall into the range.
People are unfortunately not smart enough to know how stuff like this works. The two schools are in the same district.

It's like saying whoever scheduled USC vs Washington is an idiot. It's no ones fault, they are in the same conference they have to play.

ClingingMars
01-26-2009, 08:16 PM
People are unfortunately not smart enough to know how stuff like this works. The two schools are in the same district.

It's like saying whoever scheduled USC vs Washington is an idiot. It's no ones fault, they are in the same conference they have to play.

ahhh, so they had to play...well then you can't really blame the AD.

The Franchise
01-26-2009, 10:42 PM
It's not very Christlike to fire a man with a family in a recession. Hypocritical bitches!

Obstructed_View
01-27-2009, 08:24 AM
In the old days, we'd call them retarded or dumb, nowadays, they have "special needs", "learning disabilities", AD, "dyslexia".

My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent...

That coach is "special needs".

manufor3
01-27-2009, 08:25 AM
It's not very Christlike to fire a man with a family in a recession. Hypocritical bitches!

hmm

jack sommerset
01-27-2009, 10:16 AM

nice jab

LnGrrrR
01-27-2009, 10:28 AM

:rollin

Dex
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Man, the aftermath of this trouncing is getting to be more pathetic than the trouncing itself.

mrspurs
01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
They are not retarded. They are kids who have dyslexia and learning disabilities. Huge difference. They could probably score higher then Vince Young on the wonderlic.

good one

mrspurs
01-27-2009, 11:29 AM

Yup clearly Allanon has mental issues with his keyboard. Its not his brain talking, its his keyboard who has retarded issues.

mrspurs
01-27-2009, 11:30 AM
THIS is why he got fired:

When you run a full court press in the second half of a game with that score, you are indeed running up the score. And if you were not running up the score with some specific goal in mind, then why did you stop at 100 with 4 minutes to go?

The guy did not lose his job for the game but for his actions after it- after he defied the administration.

Agreed. The man clearly has issues. Maybe because he cant coach boys basketball?

koriwhat
01-27-2009, 11:49 AM

i totally agree with ya.

this is my stance... if you can't play ball, don't step on the court. the game isn't about being "fair" and allowing your opponent to catch up or tie you in the end; the game is about winning just like every other game is. now you might say they could had won without running the score up to 100 but what's the fun in that? step on their fuckin' throats if they think they are ballers!

if the spurs won 100-0 we would be jumping up and down claiming our domination of the nba league. i understand there's a huge difference between hs girls bball and nba ball but there's no difference between competition, winning, and making sure there's no light at the end of the tunnel for your opponent.

so we gonna ask the lakers to forfeit the last game and fire jackson because they went 20+ on us at the end?

Cry Havoc
01-27-2009, 01:24 PM
i totally agree with ya.

this is my stance... if you can't play ball, don't step on the court. the game isn't about being "fair" and allowing your opponent to catch up or tie you in the end; the game is about winning just like every other game is. now you might say they could had won without running the score up to 100 but what's the fun in that? step on their fuckin' throats if they think they are ballers!

Really? I could have sworn that high school athletics were about learning to cooperate as a team and how to improve your life through increased conditioning and being in better shape, as well as learning to work with others and the value of sportsmanship. Silly me!

if the spurs won 100-0 we would be jumping up and down claiming our domination of the nba league. i understand there's a huge difference between hs girls bball and nba ball but there's no difference between competition, winning, and making sure there's no light at the end of the tunnel for your opponent.

so we gonna ask the lakers to forfeit the last game and fire jackson because they went 20+ on us at the end?

Yes, because there are no differences between a professional team full of players who make millions of dollars and teams that get to pick and choose talent to pay (or not pay) and a group of high school girls playing a sport for no money, thrown together by no other primary reasons than geographic location and age. Totally valid comparison.

bdictjames
01-27-2009, 01:33 PM
This is screwed up.

BUMP
01-27-2009, 01:53 PM
if i was playing a bunch of retarded faggots id run up the score too

http://www.alamance-nc.com/NR/rdonlyres/C1BCC441-4F75-46E9-9ACE-9139BCAF7167/0/SOBasketballQualifier07.JPG