PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter..

HarlemHeat37
01-26-2009, 05:55 PM
would the rights to Splitter help us get something in a trade? I don't know much about him, but is he good enough to sweeten a deal for us? obviously since the actual players we would be offering wouldn't be enough to get something good(Oberto, Vaughn, Ime, Bonner)..

South Side Spurs Fan
01-26-2009, 06:08 PM
this guy is going to be a game changer...I would hate to see anyone else get him.

I saw him pin Amare's stuff twice in the same possession during the Olympics.

Please don't trade this guy. His European team will stop paying him soon enough...(fingers crossed)

tav1
01-26-2009, 06:09 PM
would the rights to Splitter help us get something in a trade? I don't know much about him, but is he good enough to sweeten a deal for us? obviously since the actual players we would be offering wouldn't be enough to get something good(Oberto, Vaughn, Ime, Bonner)..

doubtful.

daslicer
01-26-2009, 06:15 PM
I saw this guy play on NBATV and its very frustrating to think of what could have been if TAU didn't screw over the spurs like they always do. I really do believe had the spurs been able to get him they would have enough to take out the lakers. This guy has the athlethic ability and strenght to cover either Gasol or Bynum thus it would eliminate that edge teh Lakers have. Fuck Tau seriously that to me was worse then losing Scola.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-26-2009, 06:25 PM
I saw this guy play on NBATV and its very frustrating to think of what could have been if TAU didn't screw over the spurs like they always do. I really do believe had the spurs been able to get him they would have enough to take out the lakers. This guy has the athlethic ability and strenght to cover either Gasol or Bynum thus it would eliminate that edge teh Lakers have. Fuck Tau seriously that to me was worse then losing Scola.

Agreed. This guy could still be the closest thing to a Duncan replacement we will ever find. Him and Parker, along with Hill, Ian, Hairston, and Javtokas are the future...(fingers crossed)

Behrooz24
01-26-2009, 06:29 PM
What's the deal w/Javtokas? Can he come over this year?

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-26-2009, 06:33 PM
how does Tau come off as the bad guy?
Because they want to win and offered Splitter money?

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-26-2009, 06:38 PM
I saw him pin Amare's stuff twice in the same possession during the Olympics.

I guess you mean the 2007 Tournament of the Americas
Brazil and Amare didnt play in the 2008 olympics
Brazil didnt play in the 2004 olympics either

Behrooz24
01-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Because it's a Spurs board and they 'stole' him away from us. We want to win also. http://smiliesftw.com/x/cece_ugh.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

Manufan909
01-26-2009, 06:40 PM
What's the deal w/Javtokas? Can he come over this year?

He could in the summer. A frontline of Tim, Javtokas, Ian, KT, Fab, and Bonner(with Gist as the starting SF) will be killer. Fucking Fin is going to either stunt Gist or Hairston, which really blows.

Then in 2010 our 4 main bigs will be Tim, Tiago, Ian, and Jav/KT. No more fucking small ball that season.

The Spurs might still be wanting at the SF and C, but the next 2 years will prove to be much more deep, talent and youth wise. Can't wait!!!
:flag:

tp2021
01-26-2009, 06:47 PM
There's still a slight chance he could come over. If we can get Tony, George, Splitter, Hairston, Mahinmi, and Gist, I have a lot of hope for this team in the future.

Solid D
01-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Define "something" in trade. I'm sure his rights are a tradeable asset. They would need to find a team looking to dump salary and wait a year and still not be sure when.

I've seen Splitter play many times and I've got to tell you, he's got great size and some skills but otherwise not a great competitor. His failure to play up to his potential is a problem for the Spurs, in my opinion. His execution is often poor under pressure...at least when I've watched him that's been the case.

Outlook fair to partly cloudy.

yavozerb
01-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Splitter probably will not come before summer of 2010 (from what I remember when he signed his contract.), which is ok, cause the guy is still young. Do not expect anything major to happen this trade period for the spurs, for the simple reason that they are the spurs.

MaNu4Tres
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
His execution is often poor under pressure...at least when I've watched him that's been the case.

Outlook fair to partly cloudy.

Execution under pressure comes with experience. Ask Tony Parker.

sonic21
01-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I saw this guy play on NBATV and its very frustrating to think of what could have been if TAU didn't screw over the spurs like they always do.

it's splitter who screwed over the spurs.

NFGIII
01-26-2009, 07:39 PM
it's splitter who screwed over the spurs.

It's the the economy, NBA limits on what 1st rounders can ultimately get and the way that the Euro contracts are stuctured that screwed over the Spurs. The money and perks being offered by Tau were way above anything the Spurs could have offered.

Regardless of what happened this is a business and if I had to weigh the contracts offered by both I would be playing in Europe, too.

sonic21
01-26-2009, 07:44 PM
It's the the economy, NBA limits on what 1st rounders can ultimately get and the way that the Euro contracts are stuctured that screwed over the Spurs. The money and perks being offered by Tau were way above anything the Spurs could have offered.

Regardless of what happened this is a business and if I had to weigh the contracts offered by both I would be playing in Europe, too.

i don't blame him for taking more money, i blame him because he promised the spurs he'd come here.

Ditty
01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Weaknesses: Not a prolific offensive player Despite his height and quickness, Splitter is not much of a shot blocker Tends to get frustrated when played physically in the low post This has led some to question his mental toughness Throughout his career he has had health trouble so theres the concern that he could be an injury prone player in the NBAs 82 game schedule Must improve on his upper body strength. How big he can actually get is questionable This impacts him offensively when he fails to finish after contact occurs Despite being one of the most talented players on the court, he tends to defer to teammates and lacks aggressiveness Surprisingly he shows mediocre consistency shooting from mid-range Not a great free throw shooter Still prone to fundamental lapses as he doesnt always secure rebounds which enable easy steals for opposing teams Tends to get out-muscled for rebounding position by stronger opposing forwards

he would have such a hard time against bynum there's alot of power fowards or centers that would over power him

Weaknesses: Lacks a great offensive game, not much of a shooter and lacks range ... His body still very weak to play the PF position. He has problems defending stronger guys and playing post up on offense, has to improve his timing on rebounds and his patience on defense. His defense can improve a lot playing in Europe and his body will certainly develop.

he's a power foward at best we need a true center and mihmmi or whatever is not a center either one of these guys got to go and my pick is splitter

NFGIII
01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
i can't blame him for taking more money, i blame him because he promised the spurs he'd come here.

I think he said that he was looking forward to playing in the NBA. I also thought that he was coming over and was disapointed that he didn't. But at the same time I don't think that Tau's offer was on the table. I think they came back to him later and that type of offer is just too hard to turn down. Now had the NBA rules been different about the amount of money that teams are allowed to offer their first round picks then maybe the Spurs could have negotiated something. But as of now it was a no brainer on his part and I think that Pop also said somethnig to that effect.

I was really pissed that Tau came back so late in the process with the offer but as stated before this is a business.

Damn!

Chief
01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
how does Tau come off as the bad guy?
Because they want to win and offered Splitter money?

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am cuz I know nothing about Drafts

but isn't he the bad guy because he Entered the draft with no commitment to coming over to the Spurs anytime soon ?

Why do Euros enter the draft if they're currently binded with a team ?

mogrovejo
01-26-2009, 08:10 PM

but isn't he the bad guy because he Entered the draft with no commitment to coming over to the Spurs anytime soon ?

You are wrong.

Splitter didn't declare for the draft, he never declared. He was automatically eligible because he was already 22. The Spurs drafted him. There was nothing he could have done to avoid being drafted. He didn't asked to be drafted.

The Spurs opted to draft him in the 1st round. 1st round -> rookie scale. Rookie scale -> small salaries. See what happened to Nikola Pekovic this season: he was a lottery talent, but teams didn't pick him in the 1st round (he went to Sota with the 31th).

01-26-2009, 08:13 PM
if splitter did come over, he would be contributing. he anchors the defense pretty well by playing good interior defense. solid pick and roll player with a somewhat inconsistent jump shot. i always think that the longer a PF/C plays internationally, the harder it is to adapt to the NBA. international play don't value the inside game the same way and that is why a lot of international bigmen are "soft." i am hoping he comes over soon so that playing internationally doesn't hurt him too much. he has to learn how to post up rather than play the pick and roll all day long.

Russ
01-26-2009, 08:21 PM
A year ago, who would've thought that the Lakers could get Pau Gasol out of thin air but the Spurs couldn't even get Tiago Splitter (their own property)?

It just ain't fair. :rolleyes

tlongII
01-26-2009, 08:59 PM
I doubt Splitter will ever play in the NBA. He makes too much money in Europe.

mystargtr34
01-26-2009, 09:29 PM

What was Rudy getting?

angelbelow
01-26-2009, 09:59 PM

lol are you aware that youre setting yourself up?

Austin_Toros
01-26-2009, 10:11 PM
trade Splitter for Alexis Ajinca

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-26-2009, 10:12 PM
What was Rudy getting?

probably not much
Tiago just signed his new fat deal
I believe Rudy was toward the end of his previous deal he signed when he was younger and not a big a star

mystargtr34
01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
probably not much
Tiago just signed his new fat deal
I believe Rudy was toward the end of his previous deal he signed when he was younger and not a big a star

But he would have been in line for a big contract, alot bigger than his rookie deal.

I guess im just hoping if he potentially gave up millions, Tiago will do the same.

mystargtr34
01-26-2009, 10:47 PM
trade Splitter for Alexis Ajinca

Splitter > Ajinca.

objective
01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
re: Fernandez

My understanding is that Portland sent a whole slew of front office bigwigs to Spain to get Fernandez to personally work at getting Fernandez to the states.

The Spurs?

RC, Lindsey, Pop (who was pre-occupied with the playoffs until about 3-5 days before the Splitter signing), Demps, whoever, none of them went to Spain to woo Splitter. All I can remember that was reported was that the Spurs had only a 'representative', which could have been a scout, an intern, a foreign agent doing the Spurs a favor or any other possibilty.

But the Spurs did their usual business of not kissing ass. Tell the player they're promised nothing, that Duncan isn't promised anything so they can't expect it either. The usual stuff that works awesome with veterans who are ring chasing after they've made their money.

So it wasn't exactly a big time effort to try to convince Splitter how important he was. Splitter had Tau on the one side begging and pleading and making their case personally and on the other side . . . who knows. Some guy with a blackberry taking directions from RC for all we know.

exstatic
01-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Splitter didn't screw over the Spurs.
Tau didn't screw over the Spurs.
The Spurs screwed themselves over.

To dump salary, they decided to trade Scola to a team that could pay him, HOU. By doing that, they left Tau short at the 4 spot. Tau breaks the bank for Splitter. If SA had just told Scola to fuck himself and stay in Europe like he was threatening to, they'd be rocking Splitter right now.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-27-2009, 12:05 AM

They DON'T. NBA drafts them without their permission.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-27-2009, 12:07 AM
if splitter did come over, he would be contributing. he anchors the defense pretty well by playing good interior defense. solid pick and roll player with a somewhat inconsistent jump shot. i always think that the longer a PF/C plays internationally, the harder it is to adapt to the NBA. international play don't value the inside game the same way and that is why a lot of international bigmen are "soft." i am hoping he comes over soon so that playing internationally doesn't hurt him too much. he has to learn how to post up rather than play the pick and roll all day long.

This will change under new rules. From next year on Splitter must play under same rules as NBA because Euroleague changed them. Even lane shape will be same as NBA. So by time he would come to Spurs he would be used to same type of play as in NBA game.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-27-2009, 12:09 AM
What was Rudy getting?

He was offered $63 million by CSKA but he wanted to play in NBA instead. But as I say many times in this forum Rudy is most overrated player in history of Europe.

Tiago > Rudy for sure.

ClingingMars
01-27-2009, 12:25 AM
He was offered $63 million by CSKA but he wanted to play in NBA instead. But as I say many times in this forum Rudy is most overrated player in history of Europe.

Tiago > Rudy for sure.

one of your best posts on this forum.

mogrovejo
01-27-2009, 03:31 AM

To dump salary, they decided to trade Scola to a team that could pay him, HOU. By doing that, they left Tau short at the 4 spot. Tau breaks the bank for Splitter. If SA had just told Scola to fuck himself and stay in Europe like he was threatening to, they'd be rocking Splitter right now.

Good one. However, I think some other club would break the bank for Splitter - what he's making takes an amazing effort for Tau to pay but it wouldn't be such a big effort for some richer clubs.

Tiago > Rudy for sure.

CSKA didn't offer Rudy that money. Anyway, I agree Rudy has been grossly over-hyped and overrated in the US (probably due to the Olympics finals). I'd much rather have Splitter than Rudy, undoubtedly.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-27-2009, 03:44 AM
Well I have an idea, but to make it happen we'd have to be the Lakers and the GM of the Wolves has to be Jerry West :

Rights to Splitter, Hill and re-signed on a 1-year contract Horry to match salaries + 2 first round picks for Al Jefferson.

temujin
01-27-2009, 05:20 AM
Splitter is having a great season and ranks in Euroleague top five players, first among the bigs.

15 ppg with 67% shooting, averaging 24' of playtime.

Coming to town with TAU on Feb 25th.

mountainballer
01-27-2009, 05:52 AM

jesus, how can you dare to work against the "the whole world of basketball tries to screw the Spurs" conspiracy theories? especially because you are right.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Splitter is having a great season and ranks in Euroleague top five players, first among the bigs.

15 ppg with 67% shooting, averaging 24' of playtime.

Coming to town with TAU on Feb 25th.

I think is a little misleading. He is not clear best big but one of 3 that are close I think.

Splitter
Bourousis
Pekovic

They are little different each of them. Splitter is more type of player maybe will fit next to Duncan. But Pekovic is far superior in offense and strength and post moves. But Tiago is much better than him in rebounding and defense. Bourousis is definitely all around better player than Splitter but Splitter is more athletic than him.

Bourousis is a better shooter by far than him though.

mountainballer
01-27-2009, 06:30 AM
about the value of the Splitter rights:
as long as he is under contract in Europe and as long as the CBA isn't changed (which might happen 2011) and allows to pay late 1st round picks a bit more, the value of his rights are lower than a 2nd round pick.
no team that trades for this rights does have any guarantee that they will ever see Tiago in their uniform.
if he didn't want to play for about 1 million $ per for the Spurs (when making 4 or 5 times this money in Europe), why should he be willing to play for Thunder or Bobcats for this money.

but I see a silver lining. there might be some GMs, who are willing to gamble on him, because they believe they have a better position to bring him over and he fits into some long term plans and could bring a high reward.
this are IMO Heat and Knicks and to a lesser extent the Blazers.

Heat and Knicks offer a much bigger market, which would help to get Splitter better merchandise money to balance his low salary. especially south Florida, where the biggest Brazilian community in the states lives, could be attractive for Tiago. both teams plan big moves 2010 and could then be an attractive new team with a great future. Tiagos rights also doesn't hurt their cap space.
same with Blazers, but Portland isn't exactly as attractive as a destination as New York or Miami.

for the Spurs the Tiago rights are worthless IMO.
he will not come right now or 2009. so he won't help in the Duncan era. and I doubt he ever will, if the CBR isn't changed. but this won't happen until 2011 and Tiago's contract has a drop out clause 2010 and then will be extended to 2012. then Tim will likely retire.
if Tiago helps us to bring in a player right now, even a player with much less upside, it will be a much better deal for the Spurs. Tiago will be a helpful player, but not a franchise player.
the Splitter rights won't bring us a Haslem or Lee. maybe there is a small chance to get back a player like Cook or Chandler, if the Spurs add some more teaser, like 2nd rounders.

Ice009
01-27-2009, 06:32 AM

lol brilliant post. It's very obvious the Spurs completely and utterly fucked this up.

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2009, 10:47 AM
about the value of the Splitter rights:
as long as he is under contract in Europe and as long as the CBA isn't changed (which might happen 2011) and allows to pay late 1st round picks a bit more, the value of his rights are lower than a 2nd round pick.
no team that trades for this rights does have any guarantee that they will ever see Tiago in their uniform.
if he didn't want to play for about 1 million $ per for the Spurs (when making 4 or 5 times this money in Europe), why should he be willing to play for Thunder or Bobcats for this money.

but I see a silver lining. there might be some GMs, who are willing to gamble on him, because they believe they have a better position to bring him over and he fits into some long term plans and could bring a high reward.
this are IMO Heat and Knicks and to a lesser extent the Blazers.

Heat and Knicks offer a much bigger market, which would help to get Splitter better merchandise money to balance his low salary. especially south Florida, where the biggest Brazilian community in the states lives, could be attractive for Tiago. both teams plan big moves 2010 and could then be an attractive new team with a great future. Tiagos rights also doesn't hurt their cap space.
same with Blazers, but Portland isn't exactly as attractive as a destination as New York or Miami.

for the Spurs the Tiago rights are worthless IMO.
he will not come right now or 2009. so he won't help in the Duncan era. and I doubt he ever will, if the CBR isn't changed. but this won't happen until 2011 and Tiago's contract has a drop out clause 2010 and then will be extended to 2012. then Tim will likely retire.
if Tiago helps us to bring in a player right now, even a player with much less upside, it will be a much better deal for the Spurs. Tiago will be a helpful player, but not a franchise player.
the Splitter rights won't bring us a Haslem or Lee. maybe there is a small chance to get back a player like Cook or Chandler, if the Spurs add some more teaser, like 2nd rounders.

great post..

the bolded part is basically what I was thinking..the main reason somebody would acquire Splitter would be for that reason..

chreph
01-27-2009, 11:43 AM

QFT :depressed

Agloco
01-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Pretty much sums it up......

BTW, Splitters rights are worth about as much as a pile of dog shit right now since he's under contract with another club. No guarantees whatsoever to the holder.

yavozerb
01-28-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9YUNDkS21k

:cry

Russ
01-28-2009, 07:29 PM
The lesson of Splitter may be to strike while the iron is hot and not assume any future course of events.

The Spurs got way lucky with the Ginobili scenario -- "we can wait and call the shots" -- and have been trying to replay it ever since. With little success.

Ginobili may be the exception now, rather than the rule, because (1) the NBA is no longer the only place to play pro ball, (2) the US economy (and its dollar) are also relatively less attractive now, and (3) Ginobili was an especially loyal and appreciative personality -- a one in a million good guy star.

Don't count on that approach in the future -- if you like a guy lock him up pronto (and pay the price in the meantime, ala Mahinmi, if need be).