PDA

View Full Version : Austin Croshere Let Go

bigdog
01-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Croshere cut: The Spurs did not re-sign veteran forward Austin Croshere, whom they had signed to a 10-day contract on Jan. 16. Croshere played in three games during his short stint, including Sunday's game in Los Angeles.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ailing_Jazzs_sour_notes_could_soothe_Spurs.html

Awesome, Croshere won't be back. Now RC, pull a big man out of your ass that can defend, rebound, and occasionally score and sign him.

Manufan909
01-27-2009, 01:15 AM
Awesome, Croshere won't be back. Now RC, pull a big man out of your ass that can defend, rebound, and occasionally score and sign him.

+1

Wish there were some realistic players out there that were worth a shit.

tp2021
01-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Huh. Everyone and their mother expected Croshere to be signed to a 2nd ten-day. This means RC is acknowledging the Spurs are in need, methinks.

Spurs 21+20+9=50
01-27-2009, 01:19 AM
+1

Wish there were some realistic players out there that were worth a shit.

Horry is out there and may be realistic, but probably not worth...

bigdog
01-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Horry is out there and may be realistic, but probably not worth...

horry is not worth anything right now. if he signs somewhere it will be for the money. there is no way he can come off the streets and play at the NBA level. besides, we aren't in need of a shooting big man, and i think that's obvious. there is no help down low for Duncan.

timvp
01-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Surprising. He must have been pretty horrible in practice to not even warrant a second ten-day contract.

galvatron3000
01-27-2009, 07:53 AM
I guess they realised it was useless to he him when he didnt fill a need and maybe just maybe there is something in the works.

Ice009
01-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Huh. Everyone and their mother expected Croshere to be signed to a 2nd ten-day. This means RC is acknowledging the Spurs are in need, methinks.

I didn't. I said in another thread earlier today WTF were the Spurs thinking signing Croshere.

Looks like they finally got the message. The signing was a waste of time. Not what we need at all.

Ice009
01-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Surprising. He must have been pretty horrible in practice to not even warrant a second ten-day contract.

I am surprised that you think this is surprising. He shouldn't have been signed in the first place let alone for a second 10 day contract.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2009, 08:31 AM
The Spurs were surprised by Croshere's lack of inside rebounding and shot blocking and let him go.

ElNono
01-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Define 'surprised'? The guy has no game. There's a reason he's on the outside of the league looking in. So we wasted 10 days, now what?

DynastyBuilder
01-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Here is some insight for you... AC is no longer on the Spurs' roster page, could be a mistake PJ was on there earlier this season. Coincidence that today is the end of 10 days... http://www.nba.com/spurs/roster/

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3057683#post3057683

Obstructed_View
01-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Define 'surprised'? The guy has no game.

If you were referring to my post, I was playing with the word "surprised" from previous posts to point out that what game he's ever had isn't the kind of game the Spurs need. I have a feeling the Croshere signing was a favor to him more than a solid basketball decision.

Spur-Addict
01-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Lets hope.

Pressure is on.

mountainballer
01-27-2009, 09:10 AM

I think this has something to do with the deadline.
Spurs tested, if Croshere could somehow replace Matt, then Matt would have become a trade asset at deadline (considering his good 3pt shooting, they would have found a taker). they didn't need a second 10 days contract, to see that at this point Croshere isn't able to do this. now they need to move to another plan.

timvp
01-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I am surprised that you think this is surprising. He shouldn't have been signed in the first place let alone for a second 10 day contract.He was signed in the first place so not giving him the standard twenty days is surprising. Rare is it that a player only signs one ten-day contract and is released.

It's not like the Spurs didn't now what they were getting when they signed him. Croshere has been the same player for the last half decade.

mrspurs
01-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Not surprising at all. Once again, we grab a big who is way passed his prime.

EricB
01-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I see the Spursreport posters have littered this thread with thier comments so this thread is officially ruined.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2009, 09:24 AM
I really hope this means they have found someone else, whether through FA or by means of a trade (and are getting 2 players in return so needed the extra roster spot to make the trade happen)

I'm just crossing my fingers cause the frontline really needs the help.

raspsa
01-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Mutombo's with Houston, Mourning retired, Horry wasn't good enough to get a new contract with the Spurs.. are there any free agent prospects worth looking at?

DPG21920
01-27-2009, 10:05 AM
If AC was the best we were hoping for, I would rather just sign Tolliver again and let him develop. He is not worth giving up on unless we get a big that can help now. AC was never that imo, and I hope Tolliver is back after his stint with the Hornets if there is no one else.

timvp
01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
There aren't many free agents that stand out that the Spurs could take a look at with a ten-day contract. If they want a shotblocker, the best shotblocker in the D-League is Noel Felix ... but he's injured and out for the next few weeks.

One option might be Richard Hendrix. He was drafted by the Warriors but was waived earlier in the season. He's in the D-League and has played well as of late. Last three games he's putting up 17 points, 14 boards and and three blocks per game. Last year at Alabama he averaged two blocks ... so maybe he could help in the shotblocking department.

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
I like the move, because it's basically acknowledging that we need a different type of big man, and it tells me they are trying, since Ian is no longer an option for this season..

I completely agree about Hendrix, I've been lobbying for him for a while..he's definitely worth a 10-day IMO..

if we're looking at a trade for a veteran, Theo Ratliff might be worth a look..he's still a solid shot blocker, and he's one of the stronger guys in the NBA..he doesn't help at all offensively, but we don't need him for that..he wouldn't be a great signing or anything, but he might be better than anybody else we can get without giving up much..

Crosherelooms
01-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Damn!

sa_butta
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Damn!
I think you have more posts than minutes played.

MoSpur
01-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I would not mind Theo Ratliff. Hendrix as Timvp mentioned would also be a good pickup. I like his game.

ploto
01-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Coinciding with the news that Ian is out for the season, it means to me that they are looking for a more traditional big man, especially after what happened in LA. I have to think they are looking trade because I am not sure there is some FA they can get that would even break into the rotation.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2009, 11:03 AM
I would not mind Theo Ratliff. Hendrix as Timvp mentioned would also be a good pickup. I like his game.

There is no way in heck we're gettin' Ratliff.

He would be a dream come true but the Sixers aren't letting him go, especially for anyone outside the big 3.

Budkin
01-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Let's see what magic Pop and RC can conjure... we are due.

galvatron3000
01-27-2009, 11:30 AM
I know most people want a shotblocker but I'm more for having a sound (solid) posistion defensive player who can rebound and is quick to the glass with a nice 15 foot jump shot. Shotblocking is a bonus but if those guys are out there not signed then what does that say about the gm's in the league when everybody needs a pg and center.

angel_luv
01-27-2009, 11:31 AM
I liked Austin but I agree with letting him go.

I watched him in warm ups and he was way too hesistant/ timid and that really affected his shooting, and that wasn't even in a game time situation when the pressure would really be on.

Duncan2177
01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I know most people want a shotblocker but I'm more for having a sound (solid) posistion defensive player who can rebound and is quick to the glass with a nice 15 foot jump shot. Shotblocking is a bonus but if those guys are out there not signed then what does that say about the gm's in the league when everybody needs a pg and center.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2805~866~874~2184&teams=14~14~14~24&te=&cash=24:14

ChumpDumper
01-27-2009, 11:39 AM
I agree that Hendrix is probably the best choice from the D-League ranks. His teammate Rod Benson looks like he's finally rounding into game shape if you're looking for someone a bit more athletic. Chris Hunter and Lance Allred are more traditional big men but both kind of meh. Were I not feeling desperate for immediate production, I would think about taking a flyer on Patrick Ewing Jr. as a project. I guess Pops Mensah-Bonsu is still working out in the states. Nothing earth-shaking.

loveforthegame
01-27-2009, 11:51 AM
I really like Hendrix but have a feeling the Spurs are looking for someone more experienced. I haven't heard much about Benson lately.

A couple weeks ago there was an article saying the Mavs were going to sign Pops Mensah-Bonsu again but haven't heard anymore about it.

Duncan2177
01-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Just what the spurs need another scrub.

EricB
01-27-2009, 12:00 PM
There aren't many free agents that stand out that the Spurs could take a look at with a ten-day contract. If they want a shotblocker, the best shotblocker in the D-League is Noel Felix ... but he's injured and out for the next few weeks.

One option might be Richard Hendrix. He was drafted by the Warriors but was waived earlier in the season. He's in the D-League and has played well as of late. Last three games he's putting up 17 points, 14 boards and and three blocks per game. Last year at Alabama he averaged two blocks ... so maybe he could help in the shotblocking department.

the gf approves, just because he went to Alabama lol..

FreeMason
01-27-2009, 12:02 PM
lol.

Tiago you're killing us.

rascal
01-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I think this has something to do with the deadline.
Spurs tested, if Croshere could somehow replace Matt, then Matt would have become a trade asset at deadline (considering his good 3pt shooting, they would have found a taker). they didn't need a second 10 days contract, to see that at this point Croshere isn't able to do this. now they need to move to another plan.

Good points
Agree with this. The spurs know they need frontline help and wanted to see if Croshere had anything left to free up Bonner for trades.

They may have to move Bonner anyways with another player to get an interior player.

SenorSpur
01-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Anybody know how Sims is working out with his 10-day contract with the Suns?

SenorSpur
01-27-2009, 01:37 PM
As sad as it is to day, Tolliver looked better than Croshere. Of course, they both shot the ball poorly.

Spurs Brazil
01-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Maybe Ian not playing this season changed things

Spurs signed Croshere to shot but he was like Tolliver, so no reason to keep him.

I'd like to see the Spurs signing Hendrix for a 10 day contract

rayray2k8
01-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Who??

FromWayDowntown
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
The reluctance to sign him to a 2nd 10-day deal is understandable because it seemed clear that Croshere's struggles didn't seem to be a function of a lack of knowledge of the Spurs' system. I think it would be difficult for Croshere to do much for any team that believes it might have some capacity to contend.

With that, I wonder if the reluctance to re-sign him for even another 10 days might also be fueled by a fear that someone else might become available and that the Spurs would have some roster issues in pursuing that kind of a player. I know that there have been rumored buyouts of a few guys, but I wonder if any of those might appear more imminent on the inside.

Dr. Gonzo
01-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Fuck. I just bought an Austin Croshere jersey.

:depressed

Tully365
01-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm hoping that something is in the works, and it seems with the announcements coming so close together that Mahinmi is done for the year and Croshere is being let go, there must be something... I'd love it if the Spurs scrapped the 2010 plan to make their big splash now. I know that's unlikely, but I think it would be a way to get a jump on the competition, especially since San Antonio is rarely mentioned as a destination for any of the big FA catches... if Pop (as he has stated) and RC really feel that the Lakers are currently by far the best in the West, and that Tim only has a handful of seasons left, it would make sense to go for the blockbuster now. The next couple of weeks are going to be very interesting.

quentin_compson
01-27-2009, 02:04 PM

I'm a little surprised, as well. Maybe there is something in the making after all...

SenorSpur
01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
The reluctance to sign him to a 2nd 10-day deal is understandable because it seemed clear that Croshere's struggles didn't seem to be a function of a lack of knowledge of the Spurs' system. I think it would be difficult for Croshere to do much for any team that believes it might have some capacity to contend.

With that, I wonder if the reluctance to re-sign him for even another 10 days might also be fueled by a fear that someone else might become available and that the Spurs would have some roster issues in pursuing that kind of a player. I know that there have been rumored buyouts of a few guys, but I wonder if any of those might appear more imminent on the inside.

Wow! I realize it's just a rumor, but even the thought of such would be big news for an organization that rarely, if ever, buys out any contracts. Any word on who the prinicipals were of these rumored buyouts?

Kindergarten Cop
01-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Wow! I realize it's just a rumor, but even the thought of such would be big news for an organization that rarely, if ever, buys out any contracts. Any word on who the prinicipals were of these rumored buyouts?

I believe he was referring to other teams buying out their players and the Spurs having the roster spot to sign them - not that the Spurs are rumored to buy out any of our own players.

Jayem
01-27-2009, 02:35 PM
chris webber????

FromWayDowntown
01-27-2009, 02:36 PM
I believe he was referring to other teams buying out their players and the Spurs having the roster spot to sign them - not that the Spurs are rumored to buy out any of our own players.

Yeah. That's what I meant -- other teams buying guys out. The Spurs might prefer be in position to make a move if something like that happens instead of rotating guys through on 10-day contracts knowing that none are likely to make any real difference.

Kindergarten Cop
01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Anybody know how Sims is working out with his 10-day contract with the Suns?

The Suns have played 4 games since signing him and he has yet to log a minute. I would think that if they truly had plans to keep him, they would have at least found some time for him to get on the floor in the two blowout losses last week. I guess we'll find out in the next few days if he is more fortunate than AC.

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't know of any big men that are rumored to get bought out though..Joe Smith is probably the most likely big man to be bought out, and he would probably go back to Cleveland IMO..

Kindergarten Cop
01-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't know of any big men that are rumored to get bought out though..Joe Smith is probably the most likely big man to be bought out, and he would probably go back to Cleveland IMO..

Sadly, he would be a fool not to.

SenorSpur
01-27-2009, 02:56 PM

Or Celtics.

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2009, 03:02 PM
ya, but I said Cleveland since he played for them last year and still has ties with the organization..

tp2021
01-27-2009, 03:14 PM

Now its a throwback!

Bruno
01-27-2009, 03:36 PM
It's quite strange given that yesterday Monroe said in his article that Spurs were expected to re-sign him.

Either Monroe info wasn't good or something has changed before yesterday and today. Maybe Spurs have find a new player to sign for their 15th roster spot.

SpursFanFirst
01-27-2009, 04:08 PM

I had a dream 2 nights ago that he wasn't brought back...scarrrrry.

tp2021
01-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I had a dream 2 nights ago that he wasn't brought back...scarrrrry.

Next time you're falling asleep, think about Dwight Howard and Lebron James signing with the Spurs...

xellos88330
01-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Next time you're falling asleep, think about Dwight Howard and Lebron James signing with the Spurs...

:lmao

SpursFanFirst
01-27-2009, 04:22 PM

:lol It's on the list...

ManuTP9
01-27-2009, 04:34 PM

:lmao:lmao atleast you can use the jersey as a mop now .

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-27-2009, 05:58 PM
chris webber????

Nice try, gayem.

Duncan2177
01-27-2009, 06:06 PM
This was a foolish signing anyway, the guy is done. I cant believe we cant find anyone in the D league to call on.

I see a trade coming.

Kindergarten Cop
01-27-2009, 06:08 PM
I see a trade coming.

:hungry:

ploto
01-27-2009, 06:26 PM
It's quite strange given that yesterday Monroe said in his article that Spurs were expected to re-sign him.

Either Monroe info wasn't good or something has changed before yesterday and today. Maybe Spurs have find a new player to sign for their 15th roster spot.

Or a trade is in the works.