PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 360 - Disc unreadable

chreph
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Okay, I'm sure it has happened to everyone here a time or two - you're in the middle of playing a game and the screen pops up telling you (paraphrasing) that a portion of the disc is unreadable, advising you to clean the disc and try again. It happened to me quite a few times playing Madden '09 (even when the disc was brand new and didn't have so much as a smudge on it) and it would piss me off since it would always seem to happen in the 3rd quarter of a good game. I let it slide since it wasn't too common.

Now I have NBA Live '09 (yes, I know 2K9 is better but I have fun playing people I know and 2 of my friends insist on Live) and have been experiencing the same thing. The thing that has pushed me over the edge is that it has happened in the last 7 games I've attempted to play! Doesn't matter if I'm attempting a quick play, dynasty, FIBA, etc. The disc went straight from the case to the xbox and is flawless (no scratches, smudges, etc). The only time it's spent outside the xbox is when I pull it out to look for scratches after it shits on me. Is this a problem with the disc itself or is it a problem with my XBOX? I got the xbox back from Microsoft after I got red-ringed back in June of '08. I went through about 4 hours of Fallout 3 with no problems before I sold it and I never have problems playing Rock Band. I'm not sure whether I need a new XBOX or if it's just EA games that typically have this problem :(

koriwhat
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
it's live bro... 2k9!

nah but seriously that shit has happened to me before with a clean disc but not in a while.

i don't know what to tell ya other then go out and buy a quality game like 2k9 instead. haha.

chreph
01-27-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm thinking about selling it on craigslist and picking up 2K9 right now actually... screw the friends! :lol

Live actually isn't THAT bad this year. If it weren't for the stupid "dunk/layup" button being almost automatic within 10 ft of the basket, it'd actually be pretty good. I just found it odd that I haven't been able to finish a game all damn month. Hopefully it's just a shitty disc and not a prob with my xbox

IronMexican
01-27-2009, 11:57 AM
I just install all games to my HD for now on. But I have an Elite.

koriwhat
01-27-2009, 12:11 PM
I just install all games to my HD for now on. But I have an Elite.

ditto though i only have a 20gig and only play 1 game so it works out fine for me.

Cry Havoc
01-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Okay, I'm sure it has happened to everyone here a time or two - you're in the middle of playing a game and the screen pops up telling you (paraphrasing) that a portion of the disc is unreadable, advising you to clean the disc and try again. It happened to me quite a few times playing Madden '09 (even when the disc was brand new and didn't have so much as a smudge on it) and it would piss me off since it would always seem to happen in the 3rd quarter of a good game. I let it slide since it wasn't too common.

Now I have NBA Live '09 (yes, I know 2K9 is better but I have fun playing people I know and 2 of my friends insist on Live) and have been experiencing the same thing. The thing that has pushed me over the edge is that it has happened in the last 7 games I've attempted to play! Doesn't matter if I'm attempting a quick play, dynasty, FIBA, etc. The disc went straight from the case to the xbox and is flawless (no scratches, smudges, etc). The only time it's spent outside the xbox is when I pull it out to look for scratches after it shits on me. Is this a problem with the disc itself or is it a problem with my XBOX? I got the xbox back from Microsoft after I got red-ringed back in June of '08. I went through about 4 hours of Fallout 3 with no problems before I sold it and I never have problems playing Rock Band. I'm not sure whether I need a new XBOX or if it's just EA games that typically have this problem :(

It might be the lens of your disc reader. Ask about getting a lens cleaner for a 360.

Slydragon
01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
My Xbox would do this and around the time Halo came out I got tired of it. I did the lens cleaner and everything but still would happen. I had a Best Buy extended warranty and took it back for another.

The new one never does it, my old Xbox was the one without the HDMI output and the new one has one. Does your Xbox have a HDMI output?

The lens is going bad, If you are going to call M$ about it tho do not tell them the lens is bad because they will charge you to fix it, just tell them you get the 3 rings of death. That's what other users have done that I read online because once you say it not the 3 rings you are going to pay to get it fix.

manustarting2gd
01-27-2009, 02:29 PM
FUCK MICROSOFT!
Sorry to hear about your disc error homie but that could be the sign of things to come. I wish I was in your shoes and could have sold my system long ago.

So let me tell you my story and why I think you should go with a PS3, ASAP.
I am on my second xbox 360 system, for one. That in itself should make you weary.

1st time- my original xbox (purchased dec 2006) fried on a required update about 6months later, right before I began playing Halo 2. ok, no biggie, this was around the time MS was being blown up in the media for the "RROD". They sent me a box and shipping labels, etc. and fixed it for free. Ok, fast forward to Dec 2008, with the refurbished unit for the 2nd issue. This time it's ugly.

I just got wi-fi in my house and hooked up my Wii and Xbox360 online and the damn update from Xbox (which was required to go online) caused my xbox to brick and when I called microsoft, they denied the update would do this and said tough shit and asked me to fork over 99 dollars for repair. The xbox didnt RROD this time but only got one red light and kept coming up with an "E71" error. This happened the day after Christmas and since then I have been on a strike against Microsoft and XBOX. I was hung up on by a "manager" at 1-800-4-myxbox or whatever the crap the number is. He kept going in a circle saying "Sorry, because your unit is out of warranty, the only way we can fix it is if you pay the 99 dollar fee. Is there anything else I can do for you?" Damn was i heated, i honestly feel that MS could give two shits about their customers and will eventually force all of their loyal customers to turn their systems in and go to PS3 and Sony.

Severely dissapointed in MS and how they are milking customers who paid 400 plus for a game system that burns out in 1-2 yrs. Then they hit you up for another 100 bucks to fix something that should have been QA'd before shipment.

FUCK MS and fuck XBOX360 . BEWARE.

balli
01-27-2009, 02:34 PM
FUCK MICROSOFT!
Sorry to hear about your disc error homie but that could be the sign of things to come. I wish I was in your shoes and could have sold my system long ago.

So let me tell you my story and why I think you should go with a PS3, ASAP.
I am on my second xbox 360 system, for one. That in itself should make you weary.

1st time- my original xbox (purchased dec 2006) fried on a required update about 6months later, right before I began playing Halo 2. ok, no biggie, this was around the time MS was being blown up in the media for the "RROD". They sent me a box and shipping labels, etc. and fixed it for free. Ok, fast forward to Dec 2008, with the refurbished unit for the 2nd issue. This time it's ugly.

I just got wi-fi in my house and hooked up my Wii and Xbox360 online and the damn update from Xbox (which was required to go online) caused my xbox to brick and when I called microsoft, they denied the update would do this and said tough shit and asked me to fork over 99 dollars for repair. The xbox didnt RROD this time but only got one red light and kept coming up with an "E71" error. This happened the day after Christmas and since then I have been on a strike against Microsoft and XBOX. I was hung up on by a "manager" at 1-800-4-myxbox or whatever the crap the number is. He kept going in a circle saying "Sorry, because your unit is out of warranty, the only way we can fix it is if you pay the 99 dollar fee. Is there anything else I can do for you?" Damn was i heated, i honestly feel that MS could give two shits about their customers and will eventually force all of their loyal customers to turn their systems in and go to PS3 and Sony.

Severely dissapointed in MS and how they are milking customers who paid 400 plus for a game system that burns out in 1-2 yrs. Then they hit you up for another 100 bucks to fix something that should have been QA'd before shipment.

FUCK MS and fuck XBOX360 . BEWARE.

That's a horror story, but fuck it, it's part of the package with a 360. Does it suck? Yes, but not enough that anybody who wants to play video games a lot should automatically buy a ps3 as their primary system.

ClingingMars
01-27-2009, 04:21 PM
That's a horror story, but fuck it, it's part of the package with a 360. Does it suck? Yes, but not enough that anybody who wants to play video games a lot should automatically buy a ps3 as their primary system.

+1

i live with the 360, because it's awesome.

koriwhat
01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
mines been refurbished twice now and still fucks up every once in a while.