PDA

View Full Version : Too many mouths to feed in Phoenix?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-27-2009, 11:40 AM
WASHINGTON – The owner and GM climbed on a private jet and hustled across the nation to meet with the flatlining Phoenix Suns. Robert Sarver and Steve Kerr gathered a roster still resisting change, reeling over three humiliating losses in the East, and implored them to hold together this flimsy franchise.

“I think we were splintering,” Steve Nash confessed.

Now, Nash had unscrewed a beer outside his locker on Monday night, the Suns had vanquished Atlanta and Washington back-to-back to end this Eastern trip and the bosses had returned to the desert. Nevertheless, desperation still hung in the air. Crisis comes and goes, but the Suns seem low on true believers.

The NBA trade deadline creeps closer on Feb. 19th, and maybe basketball is witnessing the last stand of the Suns. If Phoenix does off its roster around the league, NBA sources believe only Nash would be untouchable.

Asked if he could imagine Kerr liquidating the Suns and starting over again, Nash confessed. “I can imagine that,” he said. “I don’t think that’s out of the realm of possibility. I would imagine that we’ll be together, but if you look at it, it’s 50-50. We could make a great run at this year, or they could find an opportunity to start afresh. We’ve got a lot of older guys in here.”

The offensive renaissance of the oldest, Shaquille O’Neal, has had confounding consequences for the state of these Suns. O’Neal’s busy declaring himself born again, destroying mere mortals under the rim and, truth be told, it changes everything for Phoenix. Nash has less room to work in the paint, and Amare Stoudemire doesn’t get touches, and running remains mostly a memory of the go-go Mike D’Antoni days.

O’Neal had 29 points in the Suns’ victory over the Wizards and declared himself fit for “three or four more years” in the NBA. Phoenix goes to him over and over on offense. The Suns no longer fear playing him back-to-back games. For now, Phoenix coach Terry Porter has hitched himself to O’Neal, a security blanket to get these Suns through turbulent times. Everyone else wants space, wants freedom – wants the ball – and these Suns are playing through Shaq.

Yet, there’s a price to be paid: The bigger burden for O’Neal, the bigger the chance the Suns risk Stoudemire drifting. In the short run, the Suns are still beholden to the development of Stoudemire, their enigmatic 26-year-old power forward with peerless power and precision.

“Everyone other than Shaq plays that system, that style better,” Nash said. “It’s great to go into Shaq. We love his advantage. But if we’re going to be great, we need to have a balance. He can’t do it alone. And he doesn’t want to. We’ve got more than enough guys that are capable. But we can’t just stand and watch. Guys lose their rhythm. We lose our connectivity with one another. It’s important for us to find the balance of both.”

It’s most important for Stoudemire. The Suns have patiently waited for him to evolve beyond that raw, reactive offensive talent and into a complete player. He wants to be a superstar, a true max-out franchise player, but he’s still shown himself to be wildly one-dimensional. Kerr and Porter have desperately tried to push him on defense, on the boards, and it only becomes harder when they ask him to give up more on the offensive end.

As a rival GM noticed, “He has not made progress in some key areas, but I think he is a lot better when they aren’t force-feeding Shaq.”

One Western Conference scout, who’s watched the Suns several times, believes that when Stoudemire and O’Neal are on the floor, Porter runs two out of three plays for Shaq. Stoudemire confessed to a level of frustration with a diminished scoring role, but ultimately more offense isn’t what Kerr and Porter have yearned to get out of him. Nevertheless, it’s still a struggle.

In the blowout losses to Boston and Charlotte, Stoudemire was invisible on the floor. Somehow, the Celtics shut him out. He turned the ball over. He offered little resistance on defense. Without getting the ball, without getting his rhythm, Stoudemire insisted that it’s costing the Suns on defense and the boards. “It is harder,” Stoudemire said. “When you’re in the flow, everything flows. When you’re not, sometimes it’s hard to get involved.”

Once, Nash had to manage Shawn Marion’s delicate state of mind. He wanted the ball, his touches and it was forever a balancing act. When Shaq arrived, everyone was under the impression that the offense would feature Stoudemire with Shaq as a supporting actor. Stoudemire is still the leading scorer, but he’s down four points to 21 a game and is averaging only eight rebounds.

Nash sighed.

“A lot of mouths to feed,” he said. “I’m willing to just feed and feed. But then they get mad at me because they want me to be aggressive. They want me to make big shots down the stretch, so they need me to shoot periodically during the game.

“It’s difficult. It’s difficult for the reasons you said, and it’s difficult to find the balance, that aggressiveness for me.”

Nash needs the ball in transition, needs to run, because Shaq clogs the lane in the halfcourt. “Or otherwise,” Nash said, “I’m going to be a little sacrificial. …So trying to get Amare off, getting, Shaq off … getting [Jason Richardson], Grant [Hill], Leandro [Barbosa]. …A lot of mouths to feed.”

The Suns return to Phoenix to meet the San Antonio Spurs, who’ve always been able to expose their flaws. They’re a game in the standings out of missing the playoffs, and unless they make a move in the Western Conference, management will have a monumental decision to make. The payroll is high, the economy bad and Kerr hasn’t been afraid of undoing D’Antoni’s championship mirage in the desert.

Last stand of the Suns. Just maybe, there are too many mouths to feed.

Every time Amare is quoted in an article the readers get dumber by reading it.

TDMVPDPOY
01-27-2009, 11:56 AM
steve kerr lol.....wtf has he done for the suns...i dont give a shit if ur a shareholder in the team, but fuck man....if you cant manage...gtfo while you can

mrspurs
01-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Shaq can still play. If he was next to Timmy, we would easily beat the Lakers.

2Cleva
01-27-2009, 12:05 PM

Agreed. Good thing the Spurs don't have close to the amount of contracts needed. That and Phoenix hates SA.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-27-2009, 12:06 PM
You guys missed the newest retard quote from Amare:

Without getting the ball, without getting his rhythm, Stoudemire insisted that it’s costing the Suns on defense and the boards. “It is harder,” Stoudemire said. “When you’re in the flow, everything flows. When you’re not, sometimes it’s hard to get involved.”

So originally, Amare's excuse is he needs better coaching to play defense, which leads to them letting go of a great coach and bringing in an average coach. Then, his excuse is that since he is THA MAN on offense other players need to play defense to make it easier. Since he is no longer THA MAN and that excuse is out the window, now his excuse is he needs to be THA MAN on offense in order to play defense.

I wonder what Pop's reaction would be if Bruce Bowen said he needed touches on offense in order to try on D.

2Cleva
01-27-2009, 12:15 PM
It sounds like Shaq years ago saying if the the Big Dog doesn't get fed, he won't guard the house.

Hell, even Bynum started playing better when he got more touches after LO went down.

No secret in keeping big men happy.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-27-2009, 12:20 PM
It sounds like Shaq years ago saying if the the Big Dog doesn't get fed, he won't guard the house.

If Amare backed that talk up then I wouldn't care, Shaq backs that talk up.

With Amare it's just the latest excuse his agent came up with because his agent is praying the knee holds out till 2010 and doesn't want him playing hard on defense until then.

Amare touched the ball on like every play against the Spurs in 2007, any reason why his D on Duncan was abysmal?

Red Hawk #21
01-27-2009, 12:45 PM
I feel for Suns fans, maybe they should just have traded Amare instead of Marion?

Dex
01-27-2009, 12:56 PM
This is exactly the spiraling aftermath that most people foretold when Shaq was traded to Phoenix. The Suns gave up one of their strongest defenders and wild card players for a guy who is a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. I really don't know how Kerr and the Phoenix FO didn't see this coming.

Now, the Suns have had to slow down their system to fit Shaq (which they insisted they were not going to do when they brought him). They have shipped out the coach that got them anywhere in the first place. They have given up space in the post for Stoudemire and are losing the reigns on him. They have shipped off two of their best defenders, during a supposed 'defensive renaissance', for another one-dimensional scorer. And now it sounds like even Nash has gotten fed up with the circus.

:corn:

Red Hawk #21
01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
This is exactly the spiraling aftermath that most people foretold when Shaq was traded to Phoenix. The Suns gave up one of their strongest defenders and wild card players for a guy who is a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. I really don't know how Kerr and the Phoenix FO didn't see this coming.

Now, the Suns have had to slow down their system to fit Shaq (which they insisted they were not going to do when they brought him). They have shipped out the coach that got them anywhere in the first place. They have given up space in the post for Stoudemire and are losing the reigns on him. They have shipped off two of their best defenders, during a supposed 'defensive renaissance', for another one-dimensional scorer. And now it sounds like even Nash has gotten fed up with the circus.

:corn:

Remember when Shaq first got to Phoenix he was saying stuff like "I'm gunna be the one to adjust to the system, not the other way around" and "I won't demand too many touches". Now Shaq is convinced that they should give him the ball on every play. Kudos to Steve Kerr, Robert Sarver and Terry Porter you just fucked up the most exciting team to watch in basketball.

Xylus
01-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Only non-Suns fans criticize Shaq for what he's done in Phoenix. Dude's been our most consistent player all year, offensively and defensively. It's that skullfuck, Amare Stoudemire, who is causing us problems.

The Suns have shown that they can push the tempo and still allow Shaq to thrive in the post. But it doesn't work if Porter wants to slow the game down, while Amare half-asses every game he plays.

Ghazi
01-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Shaq is a better player than Shawn Marion.

Dex
01-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Only non-Suns fans criticize Shaq for what he's done in Phoenix. Dude's been our most consistent player all year, offensively and defensively. It's that skullfuck, Amare Stoudemire, who is causing us problems.

The Suns have shown that they can push the tempo and still allow Shaq to thrive in the post. But it doesn't work if Porter wants to slow the game down, while Amare half-asses every game he plays.

I'm not saying Shaq isn't a good player. He's actually done better than I thought he would in Phoenix.

He is, however, dragging the rest of the team down with him, just like many were predicting. One big gun ain't real effective if it takes five guys to fire it.

Just because he's been playing well doesn't mean his influence has been positive. Once again, square peg meets round hole.

mardigan
01-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm not saying Shaq isn't a good player. He's actually done better than I thought he would in Phoenix.

He is, however, dragging the rest of the team down with him, just like many were predicting. One big gun ain't real effective if it takes five guys to fire it.

Just because he's been playing well doesn't mean his influence has been positive. Once again, square peg meets round hole.

Its pretty easy to blame Shaq for the problems this team is having. But as others have said, I blame Amare. He could be a great, great defender if he wanted to, and take this team to the next level. But he only seems to want to make a name for himself and not for his team, which will always be any teams downfall. If Duncan had had his attitude, the Spurs would have never won shit. Your best player has to be unselfish and a team player, things that Amare will never be. I also put a little blame on Kerr, he should know from personal experience how much difference the right role players can make, but has yet to try and bring those types of players in.

Xylus
01-27-2009, 04:39 PM

The Suns have gone through stretches this year where the peg you talk about fits perfectly. The square peg in your analogy should be Terry Porter, not Shaq. His idea of what this team's identity should be conflicts with what it actually should be.

Also, watch the Suns this Thursday, and take a look at who makes it up the floor last on offense and defense. It isn't usually Shaq.

Dex
01-27-2009, 04:48 PM
The Suns have gone through stretches this year where the peg you talk about fits perfectly. The square peg in your analogy should be Terry Porter, not Shaq. His idea of what this team's identity should be conflicts with what it actually should be.

Also, watch the Suns this Thursday, and take a look at who makes it up the floor last on offense and defense. It isn't usually Shaq.

Fair point. I think it's pretty apparent that these pieces are not being used correctly, and that there is definitely a way that they could. That falls more upon Porter and Kerr than anything else.

All Shaq can do is show up and play. But if every other team is feeling slighted by fitting into "Shaqs team", then what's the point?

Porter needs to find a way to feed everybody.

Allanon
01-27-2009, 05:02 PM

Yup, that would be a scary thought.

I also love the "too many mouths to feed" line by Nash, I feel for him. First Marion, now Amare.

IronMexican
01-27-2009, 05:10 PM

I don't criticize him, ever. Shaq is still my favorite player in the NBA. Just because he isn't putting up 30/20 games anymore, people think he is over the hill.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Yes blame Shaq for everything great idea!!!!

fuckin retarded.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-27-2009, 05:28 PM

No Xylus, plenty of the people that claim to be Suns fans but are actually Amare fans that care more about Amare dropping 30 than the Suns winning are criticizing Shaq plenty.

Amare's new excuse for under achieving is Shaq, so Shaq is getting blamed. It's amazing even Spurs fans still fall for Amare's crap.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Btw IronMexican is by far the coolest Laker fan ever. Not afraid to admit he liked Shaq.

lurker
01-27-2009, 05:57 PM
So trying to get Amare off, getting, Shaq off … getting [Jason Richardson], Grant [Hill], Leandro [Barbosa]
Wow, Steve Nash is a dirty whore.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-27-2009, 05:59 PM

He normally stuck to Raja but after Raja left he couldn't keep his legs closed. Remember how depressed and lonely he was?

lurker
01-27-2009, 06:08 PM
That's why he looks so exhausted. Stop worrying about getting everyone off and focus on basketball, Steve. Let Dragic satisfy Shaq's needs.

FreeMason
01-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Shaq is beastin' on his Free Throws right now.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
That's why he looks so exhausted. Stop worrying about getting everyone off and focus on basketball, Steve. Let Dragic satisfy Shaq's needs.

Or just let Kobe taste his ass a few more times.

Behrooz24
01-27-2009, 06:32 PM

He likes it rough
ZGdqlI8M7H8

lurker
01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
All whores do. He gives up his body to anyone that wants it. Disgusting.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-27-2009, 11:22 PM
All whores do. He gives up his body to anyone that wants it. Disgusting.

I agree, he was ready to get on knees at MSG if D'antoni wanted him to. Pathetic. This joke is still funny and I'm trying to figure out why.

Biggems
01-27-2009, 11:56 PM
I know one coach who could get Amare to play defense......and if Amare didnt, Amare would sit and sit and sit, until he decided to take defense seriously.

m33p0
01-28-2009, 12:02 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/3232613553_b3efd6a329_o.jpg

peskypesky
01-28-2009, 12:02 AM

Tough choices for Phoenix. Shaq is a better player than Amare, but he's ten years older. Nash is up there in years too. If they want a ring this season, I think they need to trade Amare. But if they want to rebuild, trade Shaq while he still has value and get some more youth.

Biggems
01-28-2009, 12:13 AM
If I am the Suns.....I trade Amare and try to get some young talent and draft picks.

What they should have done was traded Amare, another player, and a 2nd for Gasol and Miller last year.

Then, they could have still traded for Shaq.

C - Shaq, Lopez
PF - Gasol, Amundson
SF - Diaw, Barnes
SG - Bell, Hill, Tucker
PG - Nash, Barbosa, Dragic

m33p0
01-28-2009, 12:41 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/3233539746_74f3909a4f_o.jpg

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-28-2009, 12:59 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/3232613553_b3efd6a329_o.jpg

shouldn't it be mom, not mon?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Tough choices for Phoenix. Shaq is a better player than Amare, but he's ten years older. Nash is up there in years too. If they want a ring this season, I think they need to trade Amare. But if they want to rebuild, trade Shaq while he still has value and get some more youth.

It would be ill-advised to ignore Amare's knee history. The micro-fracture surgery will eventually show up. Even if it doesn't, Amare's athleticism will go away with age, and the way his game is right now, he's useless without freak athleticism.

m33p0
01-28-2009, 01:09 AM
shouldn't it be mom, not mon?
think bob marley... mon.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-28-2009, 01:28 AM
think bob marley... mon.

I know wat you meant. I was merely making a joke about Amare's mom.

Biggems
01-28-2009, 01:38 AM
I know wat you meant. I was merely making a joke about Amare's mom.

Oh, I thought you were mocking Amare's intelligence when you said it should be mom instead of mon.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Oh, I thought you were mocking Amare's intelligence when you said it should be mom instead of mon.

No, his mom has more crack possession charges than Shaq has missed free throws. Any joke about Amare's mom and crack is referencing that.

barbacoataco
01-28-2009, 02:11 AM
How come Nash and his awful defense never gets mentioned when blaming Amare for not playing D? Nash and his total lack of effort on the D end set the tone for this whole team.

When they lost Marion their defensive problems got worse. He was versatile and allowed them to "hide" Nash and his paultry D.

Bottom line Phoenix has bad chemistry. After all, why did they break up the team after 2007 if they really thought they should have been champions if it weren't for the suspensions? It makes no sense.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-28-2009, 02:14 AM
How come Nash and his awful defense never gets mentioned when blaming Amare for not playing D? Nash and his total lack of effort on the D end set the tone for this whole team.

I always have blamed him, it's just not worth mentioning because people don't take it seriously and get really mad at people who criticize Nash.

Xylus
01-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Nash doesn't seem to have the ability to be a great defender... he just naturally sucks and will always suck. Amare, on the other hand, is extremely athletic, and quick. His shortcomings on defense are entirely related to the lack of effort he puts in.

He's become a decent man-on-man defender this season, but his help defense is atrocious.

m33p0
01-28-2009, 02:18 AM
don't you be blemin missus stadumyar. she's a good wohman. at least she was last nite.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-28-2009, 09:19 AM
don't you be blemin missus stadumyar. she's a good wohman. at least she was last nite.

If you've ever seen Amare's mom the last thing you would do is make jokes about fucking her.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Nash doesn't seem to have the ability to be a great defender... he just naturally sucks and will always suck. Amare, on the other hand, is extremely athletic, and quick. His shortcomings on defense are entirely related to the lack of effort he puts in.

He's become a decent man-on-man defender this season, but his help defense is atrocious.

There is no reason why Nash runs around and ball hawks like he does. There is also no reason why he can't fight through screens harder than he does, or why he can't make better decisions as to go under or over the screen. With Nash it's a lack of effort AND talent. If John Stockton can D up so can Nash.

MarHill
01-28-2009, 11:51 AM
As a Spurs fan, it's easy to post that I'm glad to see the Suns struggle. But, I've liked their style of play in the last 4-5 years and I believe the front office got away from their strengths in order to beat the Spurs.

They've never had the personnel to totally remake themselves. Unless they were able to draft someone like a Tim Duncan (I know those type of players...don't come around often) and then you would have to totally rebuild and start over.

But, they are trying to remake their team and still win and that usually doesn't work.

I believe you should never go away from your strengths to overcompensate for your weaknesses. For example, I can't sing and no matter how much I want to sing and tell everybody I can sing and take lessons to sing....it isn't going to happen and if it did happen (miraculously) it would be mediocre at best.

The Suns were never going to be a great defensive team with the personnel they had and they should have continue to push the envelop offensively and see what happens. They won a lot of basketball games (I know they didn't win a championship) and were still a contender.

Look at Utah...they have stayed with same philosophy over the years and they are a winning franchise.

Strengthen your strengths instead of trying to overcome your weaknesses!!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-28-2009, 12:02 PM
MarHill, I agree completely, which is why IMO they are wasting their time trying to win now. As much as Porter is a lack luster coach they would be dumb to fire him in the middle of the season. They need to just blow it up completely and remake the team.

pauls931
01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
There is no reason why Nash runs around and ball hawks like he does. There is also no reason why he can't fight through screens harder than he does, or why he can't make better decisions as to go under or over the screen. With Nash it's a lack of effort AND talent. If John Stockton can D up so can Nash.

I almost puked reading that.

MarHill
01-28-2009, 04:55 PM
MarHill, I agree completely, which is why IMO they are wasting their time trying to win now. As much as Porter is a lack luster coach they would be dumb to fire him in the middle of the season. They need to just blow it up completely and remake the team.

Thx!

:toast

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-28-2009, 04:57 PM
I almost puked reading that.

Why? John Stockton played 1st all NBA defense for a few seasons. If he can play first all NBA defense, Nash can surely be an average defender.

mojorizen7
01-28-2009, 05:23 PM

+1

SequSpur
01-28-2009, 07:57 PM
trade ginobili for shaq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

m33p0
01-28-2009, 09:34 PM
If you've ever seen Amare's mom the last thing you would do is make jokes about fucking her.
i'll take your word for it. :lol