View Full Version : Skip to My Lou Alston RIPS T-MAC and ARTEST in Public

Indazone
01-27-2009, 01:25 PM
January 27, 2009, 3:17 AM ET

Rip To My Lou: Alston Slams Teammates
After Loss To Knicks

By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- Of all the moves in Rafer Alston's repertoire, this was the rare one that he pulled off away from the court.

It's called the Rip Job, the time-honored, always-risky move where one calls out one's teammates for being selfish. Alston pulled it out of his bag of tricks in his hometown Monday night, trashing the Houston Rockets following their 104-98 loss to the New York Knicks.

"We played selfish tonight," Alston said, beginning a monologue that repeatedly came back to that opening statement. "They were able to capitalize off our selfishness, and we have to decide whether we're going to play one-on-one, or we're going to pass the ball to each other and play team ball. "

With Yao Ming missing a second straight game because of a sore knee, the Rockets played their 31st consecutive game without their preferred starting lineup of Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, Luis Scola, Alston and Ron Artest.

They expect to have that starting five back Wednesday night when they begin a stretch of playing 10 of their next 12 at home, but a return to health is not all it'll take to fix the upset chemistry in the locker room.

That'll only get better when two key players -- McGrady and Artest -- start to consistently buy into the key team offensive concept of moving the ball around.

The Rockets were the 22nd team to take a lead into the fourth quarter against New York, and on 21 previous occasions the Knicks came out on the losing end of the final score. But New York scored 16 of the game's final 20 points, and the moment things started to go bad for the Rockets actually came after back-to-back buckets by McGrady, the first a difficult 3-pointer with 6:14 remaining that electrified the crowd, and gave Houston a 94-88 lead with 5:25 left.

The Knicks scored the next six points, McGrady missed his next four shots -- all 3-pointers -- and Artest had three 3-point misses of his own in the final 2 minutes to fuel the collapse.

One member of the Rockets pointed out that the team's victory the previous day in Detroit had been fool's gold because Houston had triumphed despite getting away from the passing and ball movement that have always been hallmarks of Rick Adelman's most successful teams, and one member of the Knicks said the Rockets seemed especially tired down the stretch.

Not coincidentally, the victory in Detroit coincided with the return of McGrady (six straight games) and Artest (nine of 10) from prolonged injury absences.

"One day you have this guy, the next day you don't have this, so the offense changes, the game plan changes, but one thing that shouldn't change is playing hard, playing together, playing with some passion," Alston said.

Asked to define what he meant by selfishness, Alston continued:

"Not playing with energy on both ends, being lazy, not running up and down the court, not sharing the basketball, not setting side screens. Just simple things," he said, not singling anyone out by name. "It's to a man. We got away from that for 6-7 games, then tonight we got back to playing selfish basketball."

At this point a year ago the Rockets were only six games over .500 (26-20) but were three victories into what would become a 22-game winning streak -- the second-longest in NBA history.

Expectations were raised this year with the arrival of Artest and the hope that both Yao and McGrady could stay relatively injury-free, and being four games ahead of last year's pace -- with their next seven games against team with records of .500 or worse, five at home and two on the road (Memphis, Milwaukee) -- it is now time for the Rockets to be gelling with each other rather than yelling at one another.

This should, after all, be a championship-contending team, no?

"That's the million dollar question, we don't know what the potential is for this team to be," Alston said. "I don't think we learned anything from winning 22 games, we're not playing nearly the way we were. We won 22 playing a passionate style of ball. We played together, we played hard, we played intense."

But on this night -- a night that should serve as a warning that the Rockets need to get on the same page quickly, or consider a major move at the trading deadline -- the most energy, passion and intensity was what was coming out of Alston's mouth afterward.

Ten games over .500 or not, Alston's words are far from reassuring for a team still a long ways away from being where they need to be -- physically and mentally -- to be a credible threat come playoff time.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

JamStone
01-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Don't really see it as "ripping" T-Mac and Artest. See it as him just telling it how it is. And, he's right.

Indazone
01-27-2009, 01:33 PM
yep Alston is right but he did call out T-Mac and Artest. Someone had to do it especially if Adleman wasn't saying boo.

Red Hawk #21
01-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Yo Indazone this is not "Ripping" at all, if anything this could actually motivate the team.

The Franchise
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I love it!!!!

Indazone
01-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I have a feeling that before the trade deadline that one of these guys is going to be gone. With any luck both of them will be gone by next season.

IronMexican
01-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I thought you guys liked the Artest move?

lil_penny
01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Raefs contract for tmac?? Great addition to our injured list. Id say a first round pick also but you guys will have plenty by the looks of thing

Indazone
01-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Raefs contract for tmac?? Great addition to our injured list. Id say a first round pick also but you guys will have plenty by the looks of thing

I think what the Rockets need is more perimeter speed and better shooters than 37%

Indazone
01-27-2009, 02:32 PM
I'd be happy with D-Wade and a different shooting guard. No more ball stoppers.

The Franchise
01-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Artest for Mike Miller is fair.

sook
01-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Indazone this is exactly what i was talking about with you and your teenage drama self. You pulled the same crap when you amplified the Yao-Tmac rumors.

This is Hardly "Ripping," what alston said is what any teammate would have said

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Houston's problem is simply coaching IMO..they have a bad coach that doesn't understand how to run a team..

Artest should come off the bench, Mutombo should be getting minutes..that's a good start..

Ghazi
01-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Houstons problem is T-QUitter and Artest suck. Seriously, they suck. They're not as good as the hype surrounding their names.

Indazone
01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Indazone this is exactly what i was talking about with you and your teenage drama self. You pulled the same crap when you amplified the Yao-Tmac rumors.

This is Hardly "Ripping," what alston said is what any teammate would have said

Whatever..

see what the author of the article wrote. look I'll even spell it out for you.

R..I..P..

RIP TO MY LOU

Indazone
01-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Houston's problem is simply coaching IMO..they have a bad coach that doesn't understand how to run a team..

Artest should come off the bench, Mutombo should be getting minutes..that's a good start..

+1

angelbelow
01-27-2009, 04:57 PM
i dont see any ripping of any specific individuals. he calls out the whole team to me.

mogrovejo
01-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Misleading title. The thread creator should be ripped in public.

galvatron3000
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
so where did Artest and McGrady get called out and who read this and still thinks the headline is accurate, you must be joking. This is poor journalism and some of us can't read for understanding. An entire article an

Rogue
01-27-2009, 08:47 PM
it's not a smart option for rockets to trade artest, they can hardly find a player as good as ron at the same salary prize except those rookies. artest is the only answer to the mizz why rockets are still staying among the playoff range, trading him is gonna be a disaster to the rockets I bet. Artest hasn't played as well as he was expected to be but he is not a shit at least, but tmac is different.

TMAC refers to "Terribly Mediocre And Crappy".

Biggems
01-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Since Houston has no chance of doing anything of significance again this season, I say they need to trade Scola to the Spurs for Udoka, Vaughn, and a 2nd. BTW, I know my trade is complete bullshit. But I think Scola in red instead of black and silver is complete bullshit too.

peskypesky
01-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Artest and McGrady's trade value has got to be way down at this point. Could any GM think adding one of these guys to the roster woud actually help?

monosylab1k
01-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Nowhere does he call out T-Mac or Artest, the guy who wrote the article is the one who did that.

Stupid thread.

Rogue
01-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Since Houston has no chance of doing anything of significance again this season, I say they need to trade Scola to the Spurs for Udoka, Vaughn, and a 2nd. BTW, I know my trade is complete bullshit. But I think Scola in red instead of black and silver is complete bullshit too.

Rockets should have more interest on our 1st rounders for the next two seasons than Udoka, JV and a 2nd rounder from spurs, for sure battier and Josh howard would inevitably added as fillers.

Lars
01-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Since Houston has no chance of doing anything of significance again this season

You should definatley keep thinking this way. We struggle against sub par teams, but our record against good teams is amongst the best. This is still a very dangerous team.