PDA

View Full Version : Do the Spurs REALLY think they're going somewhere with Matt Bonner as a starting C?

S4Spur21
01-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed watching Matt Bonner finally break out of that insecure shell that has haunted him since he first signed here. We don't see the "thinking", the looking at the bench after ever jacked up shot, the hesitation.

He's doing a fine job on the offensive side of the ball. So far averaging a career high in points/rebounds/3pt FG%/minutes, he's showing that he can be that dynamic 6-10 three point shooter.

The only problem I have with Matt Bonner, is that he's just a joke on the defensive side of the ball. Watching the LA game with my friend, he kept bringing up the point of how SOFT our interior defense is. (Throw that up on the "duh" wall). Over and over again, the D got beat up inside.

I cringed watching Bonner try to stop a Laker big. Whether it was Gasol or Bynum, he just got worked. I feel bad for TD... The guy must work for every rebound, every drive to the basket... It's just unfair.

Bonner in the lineup brings 3 pt shooting and that's it. He's just to damn slow, weak, soft, short to play against a legit PF/C (the players we'll be seeing in the playoffs).

We love (well most of us) LOVE when Bonner hits that 3 ball. But they say you live by the 3, and you die by the 3.

His offensive game WILL NOT carry his defensive game... How many other teams do you really think Matt Bonner would be a starting center on? If there are some, how many of those are title contenders?

Matt Bonner, our center. This is the best that we could do to help TD and co. get another title..

This is not a "Oh give up Spurs, it's over" thread. But if the Spurs REALLY think they'll be making a run for the title (which I hope as hell they do), I would be SURPRISED and SHOCKED to see us do it with Bonner as our center.

Go Spurs go!

vander
01-27-2009, 04:41 PM
yep Bonner's the problem, If only we could have some 20-10 guy @ 3 mil/yr.
was it Bonner's fault we didn't win it all last year too? he was helping us even less then :lol
I don't see how a guy who goes from not making the lineup to leading the league in 3pt. % and leading the Spurs in +/- is the PROBLEM!!
:bangWTF is wrong with you people:bang

ManuTP9
01-27-2009, 04:47 PM
eh, i agree that duncan needs help because bonner is not helping good enough.

angelbelow
01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
if bonner was maybe 2 inches taller i think he would be the perfect fit. he would naturally block more shots, grab rebounds a little bit easier and he would still have that shot. but he seems to be only about 6'8 and i do think that hurts him, but overall ive been pleased with matt this season.

StoneBuddha
01-27-2009, 04:53 PM
was it Bonner's fault we didn't win it all last year too? he was helping us even less then :lol
I don't see how a guy who goes from not making the lineup to leading the league in 3pt. % and leading the Spurs in +/- is the PROBLEM!!

I don't think the poster is blaming Bonner per se. He's simply asking the relevant question... Can you win a championship with Bonner as your starting center?

I don't think you can with the way league is now. Bonner's contributing, but even if he plays lights out and to his potential, it might not be enough. He's simply not the inside presence the spurs need. Spurs ran into some bad breaks (Tiago and Ian), some misjudgement (Scola), and maybe some financial limitations that cost them.

SenorSpur
01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
It's hard to argue against your friend's assessment. Bonner's defensive liabilities are the prroverbial "elephant in the room" that most us Spurs fans all know exists, but we close our eyes and try to overlook it. All the while, hoping somehow the situation will improve.

Bonner should be lauded for developing his confidence such that he's evolved into a starter. However in truth, he's an offensive player only. He hustleds and gives good effort. Yet, he's just to slow-a-foot and too gravity-challenged to be an effective interior defender. He could stand to be a better rebounder. You'd think he could use his frame and strength as an advantage, but obviously that's not the case.

vander
01-27-2009, 04:58 PM
It's hard to argue against your friend's assessment. Bonner's defensive liabilities are the prroverbial "elephant in the room" that most us Spurs fans all know exists, but we close our eyes and try to overlook it. All the while, hoping somehow the situation will improve.

Bonner should be lauded for developing his confidence such that he's evolved into a starter. However in truth, he's an offensive player only. He hustleds and gives good effort. Yet, he's just to slow-a-foot and too gravity-challenged to be an effective interior defender. He could stand to be a better rebounder. You'd think he could use his frame and strength as an advantage, but obviously that's not the case.

if this is such an issue then why isn't KT in there more often? he's our guy for D and rebounds isn't he?

01-27-2009, 05:06 PM
the spurs use to have two offensive liabilities in the starting lineup in bowen and oberto. now that bowen is off the lineup, maybe putting oberto or thomas back in would not stagnate the offense. popovich sacrificed defense for offense by putting finley and bonner in the starting lineup but it's time to focus on defense again. no more starting bonner against good front lines.

Allanon
01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
if this is such an issue then why isn't KT in there more often? he's our guy for D and rebounds isn't he?

KT is even smaller and slower than Bonner.

As the OP stated, he has his problems but he's the best the Spurs have right now next to Duncan. Bonner's having a career year but the relevant question is if that is enough to win a championship.

It's a good question and I have no idea.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Bonner's having a career year but the relevant question is if that is enough to win a championship.

No

Hell, you could replace Bynum or Gasol in the lineup for Bonner with all the talent the Lakers have and it wouldn't be enough to win the championship.

The Spurs bigs are TD + a bunch of backup second string role players.

Nice guys to play spot minutes, but aside from starting in the D league, you can't hope for them to log big minutes for a team that is still hoping to have championship aspirations.

SenorSpur
01-27-2009, 05:23 PM

As you're probably aware, Bonner has the rare ability to spread the floor on the offensive end - assuming he's hitting his outside shot. If that's the case, his defensive liabilities are an issue that Pop is willing to live with.

As for KT, sure he defends and rebounds. However as you saw Sunday, he was rendered to be merely a mortal against Bynum and Gasol.

Face it. Besides Duncan, all the Spurs fronline players (Bonner, KT, Oberto) have various sorts of warts and liabilities.

vander
01-27-2009, 05:23 PM
KT is even smaller and slower than Bonner.

As the OP stated, he has his problems but he's the best the Spurs have right now next to Duncan. Bonner's having a career year but the relevant question is if that is enough to win a championship.

It's a good question and I have no idea.

As you're probably aware, Bonner has the rare ability to spread the floor on the offensive end - assuming he's hitting his outside shot. If that's the case, his defensive liabilities are an issue that Pop is willing to live with.

As for KT, sure he defends and rebounds. However as you saw Sunday, he was rendered to be merely a mortal against Bynum and Gasol.

Face it. Besides Duncan, all the Spurs fronline players (Bonner, KT, Oberto) have various sorts of warts and liabilities.

then why do people keep calling out Bonner? the Best of our 4 Bigs not named Duncan. It's KT and especially Oberto that are to blame if you want shine the critical light on the frontcourt. Oberto has been vaugn-level bad for the last 2 seasons, and KT is not playing up to his contract either, it's those names that should be in the title of the thread not Bonner, he's giving all that we expected of him.

if you're looking to blame players, compare thier production to what they are being paid to do. Bonner is one of the best ROIs on the team this year, Manu, Bowen, Oberto and KT are the worst

kace
01-27-2009, 05:38 PM
well, it's true that if you see the 2nd best big man of every contender, it gives:

LA: Bynum
NOH: Chandler
Houston: Scola
Boston: Perkins
Cleveland: Varejao
Denver: K-Mart
Portland: Oden (or Przybilla)
Phoenix: Shaq
Utah: Millsap

All of them are better than our 2nd big man, Bonner, except for his 3 pts shooting. The question is does Bonner outside shooting worth the disavantadge he gives us inside ?

Only Orlando doesn't seem to have a 2nd big better than ours.

SenorSpur
01-27-2009, 05:38 PM
then why do people keep calling out Bonner? the Best of our 4 Bigs not named Duncan. It's KT and especially Oberto that are to blame if you want shine the critical light on the frontcourt. Oberto has been vaugn-level bad for the last 2 seasons, and KT is not playing up to his contract either, it's those names that should be in the title of the thread not Bonner, he's giving all that we expected of him.

if you're looking to blame players, compare thier production to what they are being paid to do. Bonner is one of the best ROIs on the team this year, Manu, Bowen, Oberto and KT are the worst

Calm down, dude. No one is blaming Bonner. His liabilities are his and his alone. He has some value - IF he's hitting his outside shot. Much like Finley, if his outside shot isn't falling, he doesn't have much on-court value. That's not picking on the guy - that is FACT.

If you read my post, I stated that ALL the frontline players (including KT and Oberto) have their warts too. For now, Pop has to mix-n-match based upon who's giving good production. I don't like the situation as is, but until the FO can bring in some additional support, it is what it is.

FreeMason
01-27-2009, 05:39 PM

Defense wins championships.

Being 7' and having the ability to actually post up doesn't hurt either.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-27-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm telling you guys, the answer is Oberto.

He's been hurt, and nobody realizes he's gone. When he starts getting more PT, he's going to shore up our interior D and get more rebounds. Did we not win a championship with this guy?

Bring Fab back to the starting five, Pop! :makemyday

I'm serious. Stop laughing. Really.

zinagray
01-27-2009, 05:56 PM
I met Bonner in Los Angeles when they played the Clippers. He seems like a down to earth guy. He does need to step up his game but everyone has there flaws. I am sure pop is on his ass give him a chance and see what happens.

mabrignani
01-27-2009, 06:02 PM
why dont they put him at the sf/3 spot? he would guard say a stojakovic or an odom fairly well. that way we can have a starting line up of

G parker
G finley
F Bonner
F Duncan
C Thomas

that would be a defensive lockup and be able to set plenty of picks for parker and the other guards

South Side Spurs Fan
01-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Sigame Muchachos!!!

http://www.vorrachias.com/images/players/oberto/oberto3.jpg

mabrignani
01-27-2009, 06:09 PM
I thought about that 2, but he would still have a hard time defending the 3 spot, Bonner is just a 1 trick pony and unless hes going 4-7 behind the arc every night he is dragging the team down as a starter.

you wouldnt have to run it against every team all the time tho. against the hornets it would be money, duncan and thomas on chandler and west and bonner on peja. he would be a great help defender in the post in a double team

kace
01-27-2009, 06:10 PM
why dont they put him at the sf/3 spot? he would guard say a stojakovic or an odom fairly well. that way we can have a starting line up of

G parker
G finley
F Bonner
F Duncan
C Thomas

that would be a defensive lockup and be able to set plenty of picks for parker and the other guards

hell no. he wouldn't be able to guard them. not to talk about some others SF even faster.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I've got one thing to say.

Oberto: 11 rebounds per 48 minutes.

How can we go wrong?

01-27-2009, 06:23 PM
kurt thomas is 6-9 but he does have length and strength. he had enough length to give duncan trouble in the post in past games. of course KT is not good enough to shut down arguably the best PF in NBA history. containing a young player like bynum is more doable. bynum is tall enough to shoot over KT but so was shaq. KT is good at denying the post, placing a player out of position, and contesting shots which somewhat neutralized shaq (held him to 44% FG). problem is his speed. but as long as thomas can hit the open jumper, he should be a much better center in the post season.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.interbasket.net/players/oberto.jpg

ClingingMars
01-27-2009, 07:25 PM
i would love another C, but if that isn't possible, I think we should give Oberto a shot.

-Mars

vander
01-28-2009, 12:27 AM
:lmao
:rollin
:lol

:nope

SequSpur
01-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Matt Bonner is doing okay, but dude is not a starter or a big, he is just there... most teams spurs will dominate just fine, I am only talking about the lakers, the celtics, the cavs, magic and maybe the sixers.

the rest of the nba has no chance.

Manufan909
01-28-2009, 04:06 AM
I was hard on Fab to start, but over the past few games he seems to almost be at his old self. If Fab can start and get 5 or so pts a game off easy layups, while playing post defense like he did in 07, and rebounds better than Bonner, than I say put him in the starting lineup again. Outside of the Big 3, he has the best chem with Timmy, imo.

timaios
01-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Tim Duncan is the Spurs starting center when he plays with Matt Bonner.
He is the center in defense, and most of the time the center in offense.
He plays a lot at the post because the Spurs spread the floor with Bonner.
Tim Duncan is more a PF with KT and Fab.

mrspurs
01-28-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't think the poster is blaming Bonner per se. He's simply asking the relevant question... Can you win a championship with Bonner as your starting center?

I don't think you can with the way league is now. Bonner's contributing, but even if he plays lights out and to his potential, it might not be enough. He's simply not the inside presence the spurs need. Spurs ran into some bad breaks (Tiago and Ian), some misjudgement (Scola), and maybe some financial limitations that cost them.

Yup agreed.

SenorSpur
01-28-2009, 09:32 AM
I was hard on Fab to start, but over the past few games he seems to almost be at his old self. If Fab can start and get 5 or so pts a game off easy layups, while playing post defense like he did in 07, and rebounds better than Bonner, than I say put him in the starting lineup again. Outside of the Big 3, he has the best chem with Timmy, imo.

I'm still hard on the Mad Tapper (Fab). While he is a smart, fundamentally-sound, type of player, he just doesn't have enough natural skill and athleticism to give the team the need jolt on the offensive or defensive end. He can't defend the rim, he can't defend longer, taller, bigs and he doesn't rebound well enough. He prefers to simply tap the ball out to halfcourt - which is why I call him the Mad Tapper. I like him in a bench role, but not a starter.

SpurSupremacist
01-28-2009, 10:13 AM
I love it, Bonner is leading the league in 3 point shooting for most of the season and he's the problem. Yes, it's a great idea to start washed up Kurt Thomas. Do you people know anything whatsoever about basketball?

Yuixafun
01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
We'll be alright If Timmy remembers that he's a beast come playoff time.

For years he's become more passive, and its been ages since I really saw him dominate a frontline.

Like he did against Detriot. If that Timmy shows up, fuck Bynum and Gasol, they sitting on the bench in foul trouble.

I saw a flash yesterday with Timmy Going right at the basket with mean intentions, he drew the foul and at the last split second he flipped it in and drew the and 1.

Bynum, plssss plsssss plssss, Timmy should be abusing him. It makes me so mad.

mrspurs
01-28-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm still hard on the Mad Tapper (Fab). While he is a smart, fundamentally-sound, type of player, he just doesn't have enough natural skill and athleticism to give the team the need jolt on the offensive or defensive end. He can't defend the rim, he can't defend longer, taller, bigs and he doesn't rebound well enough. He prefers to simply tap the ball out to halfcourt - which is why I call him the Mad Tapper. I like him in a bench role, but not a starter.

Yup

SpursPreacher
01-28-2009, 01:19 PM
I think for bonner I think he just needs to get a big more phyical on defense and he will be fine.He needs to do little things add to his great shooting this year he will be fine.

DAF86
01-28-2009, 01:20 PM
If we don't trade for a big our only hope is for Oberto to make of Gasol his bitch as in FIBA games.

Manufan909
01-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Idk, but you have to admit he's been playing better lately. I'd have a better arguement if I wasn't eating, but fuck it. I don't decide if he starts, Pop does. And if Fab keeps improving, that'll be a big incentive.

I wonder what timvp thinks.

Sigz
01-28-2009, 02:02 PM
I love it, Bonner is leading the league in 3 point shooting for most of the season and he's the problem. Yes, it's a great idea to start washed up Kurt Thomas. Do you people know anything whatsoever about basketball?

I'm sure his 3 pt % will be a major factor as Andrew Bynum or Pau Gasol or Shaq or Amare back his ass down for an easy 2.

Do you know anything??

lefty
01-28-2009, 02:16 PM
We are the 2009 NBA Champions

hillscountry
01-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Robert Horry

Austin_Toros
01-28-2009, 03:30 PM
We love (well most of us) LOVE when Bonner hits that 3 ball. But they say you live by the 3, and you die by the 3.

Well of course we do! He's the "Red Rocket"; a fan favourite!!

But he could also be our best option. I mean, who else should we start? The only other guy who should be getting C minutes is Thomas. He's kinda like the opposite of Bonner. At least Thomas supposedly plays decent defence. BUT with Bonner's confidence like this I would not take him out of the starting lineup. Who knows what would happen to him; that would be stupid.

In short: keep Bonner and play Thomas :)

Galileo
01-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I've changed my opinion of Bonner. He is an excellent player who poses matchup problems for other teams.

And Oberto is an above average bench player.

PDXSpursFan
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I've changed my opinion of Bonner. He is an excellent player who poses matchup problems for other teams.

But the "matchup problem" is 2-way since he can't defend the other's team big. Or even 1-way against the Spurs when he misses his open 3's like he did against the Lakers.

Galileo
01-28-2009, 04:24 PM
But the "matchup problem" is 2-way since he can't defend the other's team big. Or even 1-way against the Spurs when he misses his open 3's like he did against the Lakers.

most teams don't have big men who can score. If they do, Duncan, Thomas or Oberto can guard them. Bonner has really improved his big man skills this year, he's not that bad anymore.

On offense, Bonner's value outweighs his defensive negatives. He is tall and deadly from the 3 line, unmatched in that regard by anyone but Nowitzski.

Bonner opens up the offense by forcing the defense to bring a big man away from the basket.

Manufan909
01-28-2009, 04:37 PM
most teams don't have big men who can score. If they do, Duncan, Thomas or Oberto can guard them. Bonner has really improved his big man skills this year, he's not that bad anymore.

On offense, Bonner's value outweighs his defensive negatives. He is tall and deadly from the 3 line, unmatched in that regard by anyone but Nowitzski.

Bonner opens up the offense by forcing the defense to bring a big man away from the basket.

Indeed, but it will be interesting if the Spurs meet a healthy Rockets/Jazz/Hornets/Lakers team, will Pop keep Bonner as a starter, even if his negatives outweigh his positives, just to have a bit more spacing?