PDA

View Full Version : When are we going to start playing some D?

South Side Spurs Fan
01-27-2009, 11:42 PM
We can't get a stop to save our lives.

These Jazz aren't even in the playoff picture and we let them shoot 48%, we are VERY lucky to get this W.

:bang

timvp
01-27-2009, 11:43 PM
The fourth quarter was a good start.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-27-2009, 11:45 PM
The fourth quarter was a good start.

I attribute that 4th quarter stand to Manu's frustration with his own bad plays (turnovers). He was our D for the most part. Him, Bowen and Tim.

timvp
01-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I would put Bowen first in the pecking order, probably followed by TD.

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2009, 11:48 PM
we aren't lucky at all..we fell asleep numerous times, and this game was never in doubt IMO..

we're ranked 4th defensively..behind Boston, Orlando, and Cleveland..we're behind those teams by a fair amount though, and obviously that needs work..we are still good defensively, but not GREAT..

the first problem is the perimeter D..it's pretty clear by now that Bowen is a HUGE factor in this, as he showed when he entered the game tonight, shutting down a fucking C..

our defensive chemistry is horrible on the perimeter..Mason is constantly missing rotations..Finley doesn't know how to defend anybody, which isn't surprising since he's an old scorer that wasn't good defensively, even in his prime years..Parker doesn't defend as well as he can(LOL @ top 5 defensive PG)..Manu is playing good D, but missing rotations as well..

before we address issues with the interior D, we need to address the perimeter..Bowen is the beginning..

having a good perimeter defense leads to less opportunities in the interior, which can mask Bonner for the most part..obviously we'll have problems with the Lakers and Celtics, but we'll be fine against most other teams if we improve our perimeter D..Duncan is still a beast inside..we can't address the interior against the Lakers or Celtics with our current roster, so that's a moot point..

South Side Spurs Fan
01-27-2009, 11:51 PM
we aren't lucky at all..we fell asleep numerous times, and this game was never in doubt IMO..

we're ranked 4th defensively..behind Boston, Orlando, and Cleveland..we're behind those teams by a fair amount though, and obviously that needs work..we are still good defensively, but not GREAT..

Pop uses Opp. FG% to gauge our D, and we're 13th in the league. Very average. Which explains why we can't compete against the elite teams.

SpursPreacher
01-28-2009, 12:02 AM
The defense has been coming around the last few games I think hopefully it will round into form.The D is the last thing the spurs normally get down pat.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Its not gonna happen without a big change at the center spot. Our guards are avg defenders, we need to get a shot blocker so we can go back to playing tight on the outside and force the ball into our bigs.

Without a change this is as good as it gets!

I disagree completely. Its the rotations in our team D that stink. I know everyone wants a bad ass down low to play clean up, but we are letting opposing teams shoot too many open jumpers

SequSpur
01-28-2009, 12:06 AM
How do you expect this team to stop anyone when there is a BIG GAPING HOLE in the middle and Duncan has 6 fouls.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-28-2009, 12:08 AM
How do you expect this team to stop anyone when there is a BIG GAPING HOLE in the middle and Duncan has 6 fouls.

since when did contesting perimeter shots have anything to do with our bigs?

South Side Spurs Fan
01-28-2009, 12:11 AM
thier starting BACKCOURT shot the lights out.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-28-2009, 12:16 AM
61% to be exact.

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2009, 12:31 AM
for the millionth time, we were ranked 3rd in interior D last year with Oberto starting, and our D was ranked 3rd overall..even with the lack of defensive talent in the interior, it hasn't stopped us in the past..the perimeter D is the main problem with this team..

SequSpur
01-28-2009, 12:32 AM
since when did contesting perimeter shots have anything to do with our bigs?

What would you rather give up? Dunks or perimeter shots? Pick your poison Holmes.

It's all related...

South Side Spurs Fan
01-28-2009, 12:41 AM
What would you rather give up? Dunks or perimeter shots? Pick your poison Holmes.

It's all related...

Teams have been torching us from the PERIMETER. We are in the top ten worst teams in defending the 3. as for tonight I thought our interior D was decent, especially since tim wasn't overwhelmed with young athletic tonight down there...

SequSpur
01-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Teams have been torching us from the PERIMETER. We are in the top ten worst teams in defending the 3. as for tonight I thought our interior D was decent, especially since tim wasn't overwhelmed with young athletic tonight down there...

yep, because the spurs are protecting the paint and forcing teams to beat them from outside which is what is happening.

the lakers did both, killed them inside and outside.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-28-2009, 12:45 AM
for the millionth time, we were ranked 3rd in interior D last year with Oberto starting, and our D was ranked 3rd overall..even with the lack of defensive talent in the interior, it hasn't stopped us in the past..the perimeter D is the main problem with this team..

:tu

South Side Spurs Fan
01-28-2009, 12:46 AM
That means my boy Mase and Parker need to D it up.

Rogue
01-28-2009, 12:55 AM
It should be "re-start to play D" because the spurs were always among the best defensive team. Benching Bruce really makes spurs more aggressive on offensive end, but it also destory their great defense. Not every team owns one or more artest-battier type of player who is acute on both ends, artest and battier should have made rockets a great team together with yao, but tmac changes everything.