PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Ski Buddies Share A Run For The Spurs

duncan228
01-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Ski buddies share a run for the Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ski_buddies_share_a_run_for_the_Spurs.html)
Buck Harvey

SALT LAKE CITY — Tony Parker stood in a dark tunnel by himself with a headset on. He was doing the postgame interview, and he was the appropriate guest.

He had led the Spurs in scoring Tuesday night, after all.

But hovering over the tunnel, perhaps loud enough to seep past the cushioned plastic of the headset, was an identifiable chant.

“Ole, Ole, Ole, Manu.”

It was a fitting snapshot, the South America influence in Utah not withstanding. Parker and Manu Ginobili have spent their careers sharing, taking turns while both on the cusp of All-Star status, and they were at it again Tuesday night.

Parker first, Ginobili late.

“That's the way it's been,” Ginobili said afterward.

Ginobili laughed about his Salt Lake fans, and he had an explanation for them, too. Ski instructors often come up from Argentina when the seasons reverse, and Ginobili says he likely will hear the same chant when he plays in Denver this winter.

“Cheap foreign labor,” he joked.

Parker and Ginobili don't qualify for that; if they put their money in a pot, they could buy a mountain. But they've acted as if they, too, are merely young ski bums sharing a good run together.

Some on the Spurs staff have wondered if coming from different countries saved them. They each had their continents to call their own.

Another guess: Both are smart enough to know how good they have it. Why let ego get in the way?

But Parker has a more specific theory. “I really believe nobody is selfish on our team, and it starts with Timmy (Duncan),” Parker said. “Nobody thinks about stats.”

Not thinking about stats was a good thing Tuesday. Duncan missed a half-dozen free throws, and Ginobili didn't make a basket until late in the fourth quarter.

“Me and Manu, I think, adopted Timmy's attitude,” Parker continued. “We share. For a lot of years in the fourth quarter, we've run a lot of plays for Manu. It doesn't matter who takes that last shot.”

Gregg Popovich explained Tuesday it's about free throws. Ginobili has always excelled at the line, so they go to him late.

But it's more than that, and an example came in the final seconds against the Jazz. Until then Ginobili had been awful; he would end with a half-dozen turnovers.

“I was fighting through it,” Ginobili said.

Coming off a similar afternoon in Los Angeles, Ginobili seemed to be fighting himself. But in the fourth quarter he also stripped a young Utah swingman, Ronnie Brewer, and he out-fought another for a loose ball.

That's Ginobili. And that's why, with just over 25 seconds left, Popovich still trusted Ginobili. With hotter shooters on the floor, such as Matt Bonner, the Spurs still went to Ginobili.

Naturally, he made both free throws.

Watching away from the ball, content knowing he had put the Spurs in position with a game-high 24 points, was Parker.

“You have to be the one who accepts it sometimes, too,” Parker said. “Some nights you have to take your turn.”

He says now, when people ask what's the matter with Ginobili, they should consider this. “When he plays with me and Timmy, sometimes it's hard to get a rhythm. But Manu doesn't say anything, and that's the key to our success. Waiting your turn.”

Parker thinks people don't talk about this. “If you take the history of the NBA, every time you have a lot of good players, they don't get along. We do.”

And the last time Parker played with a selfish player?

“The French national team,” he said, laughing. “Then I go back to earth … the way people really are.”

Now Parker and Ginobili head to Phoenix, and in a few days they will find out who will head there later for the All-Star game. Both wouldn't mind returning to something they've both been to before in different years.

But none of it was in play Tuesday. Then Parker threw in a 20-foot jumper with about 7 minutes left, giving him 24 points. At that point Ginobili had a total of three points.

From there Parker didn't score again, and Ginobili scored 10.

As if they were taking turns.

ShoogarBear
01-28-2009, 01:40 AM
See, I told you Tony hates Manu!

TDMVPDPOY
01-28-2009, 01:44 AM
See, I told you Tony hates Manu!

i dont think he was joking....it was all from the heart....:lmao

Kori Ellis
01-28-2009, 01:46 AM
It's funny to me that no matter how many articles come out like this showing Manu/Tony getting along, liking each other, and concentrating on the team goals without ego, that fans will continue to think that Tony is jealous of Manu and hates him. It's such a weird phenomenon.

And :lol @ the cheap labor.

anakha
01-28-2009, 01:54 AM
And the last time Parker played with a selfish player?

“The French national team,” he said, laughing. “Then I go back to earth … the way people really are.”

Someone show this to the French national team.

Anything that helps keep Parker from playing in international competitions can only be good for the Spurs. :p:

YoMamaIsCallin
01-28-2009, 02:00 AM
That's a remarkable interview with Tony Parker. For him to say that teams with good players don't get along with each other is quite an admission -- especially when he uses his own national team as an example. It also makes me feel really good about being a Spurs fan to see how they feel about each other.

kace
01-28-2009, 02:01 AM
i won't be accused to be a tony's hater. but i don't buy it. i really think tony will be annoyed if manu still plays like he does, which means poorly, and however still has the ball in his hands late in the game.

Parker has been way better, more clutch, and probably as good at the FT line in clutch situation. i think he could handle this if Manu was playing his best game, but right now, i don't think tony is happy to not be invoved in the last plays of the game.

it's still part of the recovery process for manu to not be out of the clutch plays and it's a good thing. and he has a way more big history than tony and even tim at making clutch FTs. but if he keeps on playing average, i don't see tony liking to be the main offensive threat with tim during all the game just to defer to manu for the last plays because he's a better FT shooter.

the good thing is that Tony won't ever complain about it, which is a great thing considering i can swear he doesn't like it, and probably will work even more on his FTs.

this year; manu FT %: 84.2 tony: 80.7
in clutch time: manu: 78.9 tony: 75

roycrikside
01-28-2009, 04:48 AM
i won't be accused to be a tony's hater. but i don't buy it. i really think tony will be annoyed if manu still plays like he does, which means poorly, and however still has the ball in his hands late in the game.

Parker has been way better, more clutch, and probably as good at the FT line in clutch situation. i think he could handle this if Manu was playing his best game, but right now, i don't think tony is happy to not be invoved in the last plays of the game.

it's still part of the recovery process for manu to not be out of the clutch plays and it's a good thing. and he has a way more big history than tony and even tim at making clutch FTs. but if he keeps on playing average, i don't see tony liking to be the main offensive threat with tim during all the game just to defer to manu for the last plays because he's a better FT shooter.

the good thing is that Tony won't ever complain about it, which is a great thing considering i can swear he doesn't like it, and probably will work even more on his FTs.

It's ironic that in an article about their friendship and not having egos, you respond with a "Tony's better because..."

God I hate our fans.

MI21
01-28-2009, 06:21 AM
He says now, when people ask what's the matter with Ginobili, they should consider this. “When he plays with me and Timmy, sometimes it's hard to get a rhythm. But Manu doesn't say anything, and that's the key to our success. Waiting your turn.”

Fantastic quote and a great thing to hear Tony say.

The fact that Tony understands that Manu gives up the chance for more personal glory on the court when they are all playing together by sometimes being a bystander or a decoy is a big point and I'm sure Manu realises that Tony is giving up the same thing in regards to Manu dominating the ball in late game situations. These guys are both good enough to play each others roles, but they realise the great strengths of each other and don't whinge about the effects of it on there own stats and reputation.

These guys genuinely care only about winning, and quotes like that show it clearly. I love it.

kace
01-28-2009, 06:37 AM
It's ironic that in an article about their friendship and not having egos, you respond with a "Tony's better because..."

God I hate our fans.

either you're stupid or.........no, you're clearly stupid.

can you read ?

i'm not saying tony is better than manu as a player. before trying a lame attempt at bashing someone try to read some of his posts before. Manu at his level is as good as anyone.

i'm just saying that i think that it's diplomatic words from TP. i don't completely buy what he said about not caring whose turn it is to have the ball in clutch time.

Tony likes to have the ball in his hands in these moments, he wants it and i don't blame him for that. i prefer that than people trying to hide.

but i think he disliked the fact to almost never have the ball in his hand because manu was (and probably still is) the best FT shooter of our three stars. there was a time, not so far, where manu ALWAYS had the ball in those situations because of his good FT shooting.

i think that, even more now that TP has became the 1st or 2nd offensive option, clearly before manu RIGHT NOW AT LEAST, he wouldn't like to go back to this situation. but he won't say a word because i think that he can swallow his pride not to hurt the team. Manu and Tim are good examples for that.

so, i think it could be interesting to have some different point of view about an article where everything seems so beautiful.

i think it's the greatness of Pop coaching to keep in control all the egos of a team. and it's fun how Pop's influence can be seen even in his players' interviews. the very boring and diplomatics ones. i've got no problem with it.

is there friendship between some players, and especially between tony and manu: for sure.
is there ego ? for sure too. to say there isn't any ego proves you're dumb.

stop "hating" as you said, stop listening to your ass and try reading others, i guess it's the point of a forum.

urunobili
01-28-2009, 08:42 AM
TP and Manu both admit are not close friends... but they are friends and they both love and enjoy playing together... it has been like this from the very beginning... Manu has always made extra passes to give Tony the points etc... they share the ball and the pressure equally and both follow the real team leaders guidance.. and that's Tim and Pop...

stéphane
01-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Bro seriously...
75>78.9?

kace
01-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Bro seriously...
75>78.9?

i didn't bring it to say that TP was shooting his FT better than manu. obviously. :lol i still know my basic maths, don't worry. but the way i brought it was misleading, you're right.