PDA

View Full Version : TD has to shoot more than TP

Josepatches_
01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
TD has to be the player with more FG attempts.We only won the NBA when he was the leading score of the team.In 2007 TP had the same FGA per game than TD but TD has a lot of more FT attempts per game so obviously TD was the first option to score of the team.Even in the playoffs (with the great finals played by TP) TD was clearly the leading scorer of the team.

Last year we didn't have chance against the Lakers and we weren't much better in 2006 when TD had his lowest numbers of his career because he was injured.If we want to win the NBA then TD has to be the first offensive option.
Maybe we are the only team in the NBA where the player who has more talent to score isn't who averages more shots per game.Bryant is who averages more shots in the Lakers,Wade in Miami,Bosch in Toronto,Jefferson in Minnesota,Nowitzki in Dallas..etc.And of course TD can score easily than TP

If we have to lose at least we have to lose with our best player doing most shots than anyone.
Maybe Pop wants to play more with TD in the playoffs and he is giving some rest to him in the regular season but I'm not sure because last year there wasn't big differences with our gameplay between the playoffs and the regular season.

The fact is the team only had won when TD had been the leading scorer of the team.It's really great to have help for TD but we can't forget who is our best player especially against the best teams of the league.

An of course TP can shoot more than TD in a lot of games but it doesn't have any sense that Bonner has the same FGA at halftime than TD when he's missing most of them and we are playing against the Lakers.

Maybe it could be coincidence that we only had won when TD has been the leading scorer of the team,maybe, but I don't believe in coincidences.

MoSpur
01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
There is a thread going around that ask the question if Manu is simply a jump shooter now? I ask the same question about TP. He shoots a lot more now of days. I know he has improved in that area, but Parkers bread and butter is driving to the basket.

Rapper
01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Totally agreed

this is what i wanna say, tony, you are a great player but you need to know that timmy is the core and soul to the spurs, please pass the ball to timmy more,

you are not the top dog in the spurs

sonic21
01-28-2009, 10:30 AM
maybe Pop knows better than you what's best for the spurs and wants tony to shoot more

mrspurs
01-28-2009, 10:52 AM
maybe Pop knows better than you what's best for the spurs and wants tony to shoot more

Its not a maybe. Timmy has alot more todo then just shoot the ball. While Timmy is single handly carrying this team on his back, TP is the only Spur who can shoot,drive and make plays on a consistent basis.

sonic21
01-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Its not a maybe. Timmy has alot more todo then just shoot the ball. While Timmy is single handly carrying this team on his back, TP is the only Spur who can shoot,drive and make plays on a consistent basis.

well the "maybe" was sarcastic

mrspurs
01-28-2009, 11:19 AM
well the "maybe" was sarcastic

Not sure what you meant by the (maybe). As long as your not one of those people who use the F word in just about every sentence, I dont take the time to figure out what exactly is on your mind. People who use the F word during a conversation is one thing. But if you cant stop your fingers from typing it? Your not worthy........:wow My kids come onto this site from time to time. Using this nick. Im not gonna allow my kids to think I allow disrespectful people to suddenly be an OK thing, as long as they're talking about the Spurs.:king

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2009, 11:23 AM
the most annoying part of our offensive droughts is when we ignore Duncan..it happened last night during Utah's run after we looked like we were going to blow it open with an 11-point lead..

there's absolutely no reason not to go to Duncan EVERY time down the floor, especially when he's being guarded by a guy like Okur or an undersized player like Millsap..there's no reason not to..in the last Timberwolves game, they went to Al Jefferson 16 straight possessions to start every one..that's how we should be playing when we have favorable matchups like that..

MoSpur
01-28-2009, 11:26 AM
The droughts happen because the Spurs turn into a jump shooting team. That happens because no one is attacking the basket. At times the Spurs don't attack the basket because of the defenders inside the lane like a Bynum, Shaq, and the like. However, there are times where the Spurs don't attack because they just don't and that irks me.

Kori Ellis
01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
As long as they are both aggressive, it doesn't matter. They will end up getting about the same amount of shots - which is how the Spurs want it. Tony's penetration opens up the offense for all the Spurs - including Tim. When things go stagnant, it's because of lack of ball movement - either Tim posts up and everyone else stands around, or Tony and the rest of the Spurs pass it around the perimeter and no one drives.

In the playoffs, it depends on who the Spurs are playing and which match-ups they can exploit. In some games, it makes sense to have Tony shoot 20-25 times a game. In other games, it doesn't.

NFGIII
01-28-2009, 11:45 AM
the most annoying part of our offensive droughts is when we ignore Duncan..it happened last night during Utah's run after we looked like we were going to blow it open with an 11-point lead..

there's absolutely no reason not to go to Duncan EVERY time down the floor, especially when he's being guarded by a guy like Okur or an undersized player like Millsap..there's no reason not to..in the last Timberwolves game, they went to Al Jefferson 16 straight possessions to start every one..that's how we should be playing when we have favorable matchups like that..

Agreed. I think we need to get back more to the inside-out type of O that we've grown accustomed to over the years. Addmittingly TD isn't as sprey as he used to be but I have always felt that this is a better structured offense for the Spurs. When TD is clicking the double teams start coming faster which seem to make it easier for TP to penetrate. IMHO

Obviously Pop has given TP the green light to shoot more and I believe that is a good decision but just wish that he would be more selective at times. That's a tough call for TP to make since every game is different and in some he will need to shoot more and less in others.

kace
01-28-2009, 03:01 PM
from the last two PO (2007 and 2008)(i didn't check before 2007 because i don't have the time and TP wasn't exactly the player he is now in PO):

TP has scored more than tim in 3 series out of 7: the spurs won all three
TP had more FGA than tim in 5 series out of 7: the spurs won all five

i don't care if tim, tony, manu or even bruce leads the team in scoring of FGA as long as we win and it surely depends on who is the opponent.

but winning 100 % of the series when tony scored more than tim and 100 % of the series where he had more FGA than him rather annihilate your theory.

Brazil
01-28-2009, 03:04 PM
from the last two PO (2007 and 2008)(i didn't check before 2007 because i don't have the time and TP wasn't exactly the player he is now in PO):

TP has scored more than tim in 3 series out of 7: the spurs won all three
TP had more FGA than tim in 5 series out of 7: the spurs won all five

i don't care if tim, tony, manu or even bruce leads the team in scoring of FGA as long as we win and it surely depends on who is the opponent.

but winning 100 % of the series when tony scored more than tim and 100 % of the series where he had more FGA than him rather annihilate your theory.

This is what we call speaking with data

STX_21
01-28-2009, 05:46 PM
I don't know that Tim needs to shoot more than TP....but he needs the ball on every posession. I hate when we don't get the ball in to Duncan. TP will score alot more if the ball simply goes through Duncan more. The ball should start there...where it ends up doesn't matter to me.

That being said, there aren't enough plays for Duncan to attack the bum on his back. We need more of those period. I'd see Duncan score two buckets in a row then not touch the ball on the next 3 possessions. Why?

Those stats are great. But it doesn't show how many shots Tim created for Tony.

diego
01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
i think the issue is more that good teams realize that we play inside-out so they try to take away the inside. Not all teams can do it obviously but the good ones do (or sometimes, the refs do when they swallow their whistles) and that's when we depend on our 3 pt shooters to make some room inside for tim, tony and manu.

stretch
01-28-2009, 07:00 PM
offense still should primarily run through TD. depending on matchups, certain games it may be better for parker or ginobili to have the offense ran through them, but it should typically begin and end with TD.

kace
01-28-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't know that Tim needs to shoot more than TP....but he needs the ball on every posession. I hate when we don't get the ball in to Duncan. TP will score alot more if the ball simply goes through Duncan more. The ball should start there...where it ends up doesn't matter to me.

That being said, there aren't enough plays for Duncan to attack the bum on his back. We need more of those period. I'd see Duncan score two buckets in a row then not touch the ball on the next 3 possessions. Why?

Those stats are great. But it doesn't show how many shots Tim created for Tony.

i didn't brought these stats to say tony has to be the 1st offensive option. i don't care who he's as long as we win.

but i think tony is probably the one whose lack of scoring would hurt the team the most. If tony isn't earning some respect from defensors by scoring, especially by penetrating, it also take away from him most of his assists.

Tim can always help on defense and boards.

but it clearly shows what every attentive spurs fan should know: when tony is scoring a lot, it's usually a good thing for the spurs. Tony being passive is the worst thing for this team.

anyway, i wouldn't mind tim taking more shots. but i also clearly don't buy the theory about tim creating most of tony's shots by having the ball in the low post. just false. tony's baskets usually come from him taking a shot or driving after a pick n' roll, him on one on one or him on fast break.

indeed, most of spurs outside shots come from tim being doubled at the low post or tony driving and passing (and manu when he's also attacking the rim). tony is rarely the one who take outside shot from tim.

Rogue
01-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Totally agreed

this is what i wanna say, tony, you are a great player but you need to know that timmy is the core and soul to the spurs, please pass the ball to timmy more,

you are not the top dog in the spurs
of course you agreed on what this dude posted, because you have NEVER disagreed on any BS (remember GP?) and he makes you look smarter, at least you didn't forget to press the space after each ",".

spursfan09
01-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh please. TP's number of shots are not the problem. He is a great scorer for the Spurs and you want him to lake less shots? I think as long as Tim gets his, and Tony gets his we are good. We need other guys to be consistent.