PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili struggling to gain consistency

sonic21
01-28-2009, 10:43 AM
sorry if already posted

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobili_seeks_a_consistency_of_production.html

by Mike Monroe - Express-News

SALT LAKE CITY — The subject was consistency, so when Manu Ginobili began to speak about his 31 games that preceded Tuesday’s game against the Jazz at Energy Solutions Arena, he felt compelled to offer a clarification.

“Consistency,” he said, “or the lack of?”

Case in point: Ginobili’s showing against the Lakers on Sunday afternoon — nine points, on 4-for-11 shooting, and a lone assist — stood in stark contrast to his 9-for-15, 27-point production in the Spurs’ 112-111 victory over the Lakers just 11 days earlier.

After scoring in double figures in nine straight games in late December and early January, during which he averaged 17.0 points, he scored only 17 in the two games that preceded Tuesday’s contest. He had 13 points against the Jazz.

“It’s been frustrating, because I started consistently,” Ginobili said. “I had solid games. Then, a month later I find myself playing either very good games or bad games. I don’t know what it is, but I am trying to work on it mentally.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich no longer ponders how close Ginobili may, or may not, be to full-strength after offseason surgery to repair a left ankle impingement.

“All I care about is how he performs on the court,” Popovich said. ‘All you guys ask how close he is to being 100 percent. I have no clue. Watch him play and make your own decision.”

Most exasperating for Ginobili has been his inability to get to the rim on drives from the perimeter as often as he has in past seasons.

“I don’t know which comes first,” he said. “If I am not making shots, and that doesn’t make the defense commit as much and I can’t go to the rim more; or, the fact that I’m not going to the rim as hard makes me rely a lot on the (perimeter) shot.

“I’m not sure yet which it is, but I realize I’m not going as much and getting to the free-throw line, so I will try to do it more.”

Defying the odds: Popovich went into Tuesday’s game with 661 victories in his 13 seasons as Spurs’ head coach, but he is a neophyte compared to Jazz coach Jerry Sloan.

Sloan, who recently signed a deal that will keep him on the Jazz bench next season, has been there for 20 years and 1,020 victories.

“He’s the consummate competitor and the consummate professional, practice to practice, game to game, year to year, and it doesn’t matter who’s on his team or who’s hurt,” said Popovich. “They’re consistent, night after night after night, and that’s a real tribute to him.”

Message to Miller: Popovich took a moment after the game to express the Spurs organization’s best wishes for Jazz owner Larry H. Miller, who underwent a double-leg amputation procedure last week as a result of complications from Type 2 diabetes.

“More important than the game tonight, we want to express all the best to Larry Miller,” Popovich said. “He’s going through a tough time. I don’t know what his status is as we speak, but I know he’s going through hell, and we wish him the best.”