PDA

View Full Version : Show some love to Manu Ginobili

amy020
01-28-2009, 12:08 PM
I really can't understand why so many people bashing Manu so much these days. Yes he struggled in the last three games offensively. But defensively he had done a really good job. Take today's game for example,he grabbed 9 rebounds,which led the team,with a couple of critical rebounds during the clutch time. Also, he had 4 steals and 5 assists to help the team. Actually I think that when he realized he couldn't find a good way to score, he did all the others he can to help the team to win. And in fact in the last 60 seconds, he scored 10 points, a critical layup and several free throws to lock the win. Manu's still reliable.

Last game against the lakers, Manu had a poor shooting percentage but he had 8 rebounds and 2 steals in 25 minutes, and no one noticed that. What I want to say is that Manu is struggling offensively but he tried his best defensively.

For my part, all Manu need now is confidence. After watching the last three games, I feel that Manu is losing some of his confidence. When he can't shoot well at the beginning, he came to limit his shooting attempts and try to pass the ball. Even when he make a drive, he hesitated, layup or pass, then he turn the ball over(I know you guys want to mention his turnovers). Checking Tony stats you can find something. Against the Pacers, Tony was 6-16 on shotting with 17 points, Manu was 3-8 on shotting with 8 points. With the same shooting percentage, Manu made half attempts. Against Utah,Manu shot only 5 times and made one, Tony was 2-7 at the beginning but in the end he was 9-18 with 24 points to lead the team. Stats show that when both of the guys shooting poorly, Manu just stopped and tend to pass more. But I remember that when in the past, in such situation, Manu would try to get fouled ,make some freethrows and gradually the game came to him. In the last three games, Manu made 8,11 and 5 shotting attempts , too few I think for him to find the rhyme back.I don't mean that one should keep shotting even with a poor percentage, but these attempts are really too few for one to get back to his way, especially the 5 attempts against Utah, unbelievable.

Now talking about his turnovers these days. Manu is really turning the ball over too much. But I think that there are two main reasons to cause it. Firstly, Manu 's passes are too creative sometimes and so they become somehow risky ,maybe Manu can try to reduce some. Secondly, as I mentioned before,the hesitation when having the ball. The solution to this problem is to be more confident, than everything will be fine.

Every time this season when Manu had good performance offensively, he shoot the ball well at the beginning ,usually had a great first half and then came with a great second half ,too. But if he had a bad first half, usually the second half was as bad, which is a great difference compare to last season.

Come on Manu ,just adjust yourself and feel relaxed. Really want to see your pump fake, your step back jumper(usually a three), your behind the back drive , your euro-step, all your signature moves. As you showed all of them in the nike commercial, just apply them to your games.(when you had good games this season,you show them. Such as the game against Lakers at home) Be confident and everything will be fine, try to be yourself and yes you can.

FreeMason
01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
He's Manu. You gotta love Manu.

He still has the beast inside of him, you just have to pray it comes out at the right time.

it's me
01-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Manu is it you???

mrspurs
01-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Manu is it you???

:lol

DAF86
01-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Best post I've seen in a while. I agree with everything you say.

SenorSpur
01-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Love Manu. I just believe that sometimes he needs to let the game come to him. I want him to think the game, understand situations, as well as feel the game. His competitive nature and "never-say-die" attitude are the ingredients that make him a great player. However, he needs to mature as a player to the point where he's not putting his team in unnecessary jepoardy by his penchant for taking ill-advised shots (early in the shot-clock), forcing bad passes into traffic, or committing frustration fouls. Look no further than his infamous foul on Dirk in Game 7 of the 2006 WCSF. A play that probably cost the Spurs that series.

It's not always necessary to take the high-risk approach or to perform the spectacular, when the ordinary could have the same result. It's his court judgement and situational assessment that needs work. Sometimes taking the low-risk path, when the team is clinging to a slim lead, is the right decision.

As I've said before, Manu is a great enough player that he can actually have an affect on the game, and his team, even if he's not scoring. In fact, he's one of the few players in this league that has that ability. We saw this against Utah on Tuesday night. His rebounds, assists, steals, defense, and timely FT shooting were crucial to that win.

When he's on, he's a flat-out assassin and there are few better. I think he can still be great when he isn't scoring. I just want him to cut down on the errors and not hurt the team.

urunobili
01-28-2009, 01:03 PM
I am not worried yet... and I will forever love him for all what he gave already to the Spurs... doesn't matter what the majority of the deep shit fucks around that have been bashing him have to say... being unappreciative is really low...

SpursPreacher
01-28-2009, 01:15 PM
When the spurs need him most manu will be there.Bank on it.

temujin
01-28-2009, 01:18 PM

:tu

Manufan909
01-28-2009, 01:31 PM

he was in the Jazz win.:king

kace
01-28-2009, 01:38 PM
he was in the Jazz win.:king

i agree that some fans are annoying with their overreaction about manu.

but i won't buy manu being the hero of the game against Utah.

Outside his 6 last FT where Utah had to foul, manu's game was awful. 7 points on 1/5, 6 TO and 3 in the last 3 minutes.

that's certainly not a reason for asking a stupid trade. as i said i want manu to retire as a spur. but right now, he's playing very poorly, that's a fact and it was especially the case against utah.

Manu will be fine and half this forum will be sucking his nuts soon. book it. The stupid overreaction about manu's greatness will replace the one about him sucking. that's how it works with some fans.

TDMVPDPOY
01-28-2009, 01:43 PM
manu?

hey look manu, come and touch it manu...

Brazil
01-28-2009, 03:07 PM
:toast I love Manu... euh I like Manu

de Soto
01-28-2009, 03:22 PM
In pro sports, love is EARNED.

Austin_Toros
01-28-2009, 03:24 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/dowgmf.jpg

lefty
01-28-2009, 03:24 PM
I love Manu

Brazil
01-28-2009, 03:26 PM
I love Manu

gay

Austin_Toros
01-28-2009, 03:40 PM
we are all getting sick of watching his bald spot
:bang

FromWayDowntown
01-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I show lots of love to Manu Ginobili.

I'm less impressed with his ineffective alter ego (known to me as Gino Manubili) who seems to have been playing a lot more for the Spurs recently.

lefty
01-28-2009, 04:03 PM
gay

Not as gay as your man crush on TP

manu_maniac
01-28-2009, 04:22 PM
we are all getting sick of watching his bald spot
:bang

I really want to see him in a Rogaine commercial.

SenorSpur
01-28-2009, 04:28 PM

I'm less impressed with his ineffective alter ego (known to me as Gino Manubili) who seems to have been playing a lot more for the Spurs recently.

:lol

Manufan909
01-28-2009, 04:40 PM

Sadly, Gino is the 3rd best 2/3 player, after Manu and Bowen. For the sake of fairness, I will not mention The Gist.:downspin:

EVAY
01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I agree with you that Manu's biggest problem is a lack of confidence. How to regain the confidence is the tricky part, I think. If it were Finley, Pop would be starting him ("because he needs to get his confidence back"). Problem is, when Pop starts Manu, the plays are the same as without him, because Tony is calling the plays and he never calls one for Manu.

The whole offense is built around an inside-out game, with one big (Tim) and one small (either Tony or Manu, but never both). Manu is wasted when Pop starts him, but noone can convice me that the season long preference for Finley starting (last season and this one, even after Pop said he was gona start Manu hasn't had a mental impact on Manu. I think it is obvious.

I don't know what the answer is, but it clear that we are not gonna win without something changing.

SequSpur
01-28-2009, 07:45 PM
We all love manu.. I mean he is a Spur, but he is not very good right now and severely overrated by most here in this forum.

Timmy
01-28-2009, 08:09 PM
妈的,在比赛最后时刻,顶着面对盐湖成数万球迷的干扰 的巨大压力的吉诺比利正在罚球,但此刻,所谓的球迷正 轻松坐在电视机前:“吉诺比利这场打的太他妈傻逼了 uck_The_Fakers_”妈的,这就是球迷?好一个球迷!

Yorae
01-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Ungrateful spurs fans......

ducks
01-28-2009, 08:28 PM
manu gets more love here then any PLAYER ON THE SPURS

porscha
01-28-2009, 09:46 PM
I'll always support and appreciate Manu forever.

it's a shame for some haters bashing our own player for whatever the reason on their mind instead of showing some true support and showing love and encourage to help them to gets pass the lows.that just makes me sick!

asababy
01-28-2009, 11:03 PM
When sometimes Manu did a bad job, most guys started to bash him or say something about the trade . It's ridiculous .

Although he is out of form in recent 3 games, i still support him. Cos i still believe that he is crucial guy in the team , he is also the part of the big 3 .

Aslo i agree with you that his big problem now is his confidence ,but what we can do is supporting him and giving more confidence to him .

Just 3 games , it's ok, we are waiting for you , manu!

ClingingMars
01-28-2009, 11:04 PM
In pro sports, love is EARNED.

hahahaha de Soto got pinked!

asababy
01-28-2009, 11:06 PM

really?:rolleyes

TMTTRIO
01-29-2009, 12:06 AM
I think people still need to be patient. I know it's very hard and Manu's looked awful but I've also seen him have games where he looked like the Manu that we love. I'm hoping by the time the end of the Rodeo Road Trip he'll get his rhythm back and all these trade threads will be gone. I still believe in him.

ducks
01-29-2009, 12:20 AM

you have six post

you been here a couple years you would know

SenorSpur
01-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Since he's never been injured before or never come off any serious downtime, I would guess this situation is all very new for Manu. He's thinking way too much, but he's also trying too hard. When he's having an off night, I like when he picks his spots to attack, rather than forcing the issue. I expect he'll get it together before season's end.

ducks
01-29-2009, 12:24 AM
I expect he better if he wants to still be a spur after this season

porscha
01-29-2009, 12:33 AM
even manu can not score any points any more, he will always be my favorite player.
for what they had been done for us, I will cherish it forever.
to me, these player's health and happiness means much more then a champion trophy.

NRHector
01-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Is not a surprise that manu turns tha ball over, but one thing he does after a turn over or a missed lay up is that he hustle to get the ball back either with a block or steal and if you don't believe me look at the next game, this is to you Manu :toast

TMTTRIO
01-29-2009, 01:16 AM
By the way we need spurschick to bump the ditka thread for tommorow :).

Doctor J
01-29-2009, 01:58 AM
Ditto. Thanks.

Chieflion
01-29-2009, 02:27 AM
He is a good player when he does not force anything. A true winner.

Fernando TD21
01-29-2009, 02:57 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93271

Slippy
01-29-2009, 03:22 AM
For my part, all Manu need now is confidence. After watching the last three games, I feel that Manu is losing some of his confidence. When he can't shoot well at the beginning, he came to limit his shooting attempts and try to pass the ball. Even when he make a drive, he hesitated, layup or pass, then he turn the ball over(I know you guys want to mention his turnovers). Checking Tony stats you can find something. Against the Pacers, Tony was 6-16 on shotting with 17 points, Manu was 3-8 on shotting with 8 points. With the same shooting percentage, Manu made half attempts. Against Utah,Manu shot only 5 times and made one, Tony was 2-7 at the beginning but in the end he was 9-18 with 24 points to lead the team. Stats show that when both of the guys shooting poorly, Manu just stopped and tend to pass more. But I remember that when in the past, in such situation, Manu would try to get fouled ,make some freethrows and gradually the game came to him. In the last three games, Manu made 8,11 and 5 shotting attempts , too few I think for him to find the rhyme back.I don't mean that one should keep shotting even with a poor percentage, but these attempts are really too few for one to get back to his way, especially the 5 attempts against Utah, unbelievable.

you make a good point here. Tony does get more leeway in trying to get his game back on track and it helps having Tim by his side at the same time. That's Tony's game and it suits the Spurs. What makes Manu's game special when 100 percent is how efficient he is. Since coming back some expect manu to be that same player not realising the mental hurdle he has to overcome is his biggest challenge now.

Slippy
01-29-2009, 03:52 AM
Since he's never been injured before or never come off any serious downtime, I would guess this situation is all very new for Manu. He's thinking way too much, but he's also trying too hard. When he's having an off night, I like when he picks his spots to attack, rather than forcing the issue. I expect he'll get it together before season's end.

that's what i've noticed too. Manu looks to be thinking too much and the sad part is attacking the rim when a laneway is open doesn't seem to be part of that thinking. IF his 3-point shot isn't falling which seems to be his first option these days.. leads to the trying too hard part. Coming back from foot surgery it really shouldn't surprise Spurs fans.

That's why im not a big fan of Manu playing on the 2nd unit with-out Tim or Tony on the court. Thats just adds more pressure on him to perform. If things arn't going well for him then his confidence takes a hit at the same time. Pop of all people knows it's a work in progress. Why not let Manu build his confidence and get his ryhthm back to his old self before putting him in that position.

angelbelow
01-29-2009, 04:26 AM
you know why people talk trash to manu? because for some people, spurstalk is where they come to bitch. so who ever plays badly they'll bitch. dont get me wrong, everyone bitches, but some just choose to do it here.

ehz33satx
01-29-2009, 05:13 AM
hahahaha de Soto got pinked!

So whats up Mars? You trying to save internet bandwith these days by forgoing signing off after each and every single one of your posts? I commend you! :toast

-Ehz

xapatan2
01-29-2009, 06:05 AM
You just don't trade Manu Ginobili.

This idea is pissing me off at the same point as the Tony haters that haven't yet realize his fabulous value...

We have to get a big, OK. but that's all

Xap'

mathbzh
01-29-2009, 06:14 AM
Don't touch my Gino

urunobili
01-29-2009, 06:47 AM
that's what i've noticed too. Manu looks to be thinking too much and the sad part is attacking the rim when a laneway is open doesn't seem to be part of that thinking. IF his 3-point shot isn't falling which seems to be his first option these days.. leads to the trying too hard part. Coming back from foot surgery it really shouldn't surprise Spurs fans.

That's why im not a big fan of Manu playing on the 2nd unit with-out Tim or Tony on the court. Thats just adds more pressure on him to perform. If things arn't going well for him then his confidence takes a hit at the same time. Pop of all people knows it's a work in progress. Why not let Manu build his confidence and get his ryhthm back to his old self before putting him in that position.

:tu

roycrikside
01-29-2009, 03:38 PM

except by Ducks, TPark, Rascal, and oh, I don't know, maybe 50 other posters.

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 03:56 PM
So whats up Mars? You trying to save internet bandwith these days by forgoing signing off after each and every single one of your posts? I commend you! :toast

-Ehz

see new policy.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115302