PDA

View Full Version : It's time......

JudynTX
01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
.....for those Girl Scout Cookies! I just received an order form from a co-worker. :lol

Dex
01-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Thin Mints ftw!

I eated the Peanut Butter ones too. Fuck the salmonella.

JudynTX
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Don't do that! :wow:lol

ATRAIN
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
.....for those Girl Scout Cookies! I just received an order form from a co-worker. :lol

Was that form a co worker that you hate on?

JudynTX
01-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Was that form a co worker that you hate on?

No, not her.

"That co-worker" took a 3 hr lunch yesterday. :lol

ATRAIN
01-28-2009, 01:50 PM
No, not her.

"That co-worker" took a 3 hr lunch yesterday. :lol

LOL and of course you timed her hahahah.......STILL HATING!!

JudynTX
01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
LOL and of course you timed her hahahah.......STILL HATING!!

So what kind of cookies do you like to eat?

set-up

manufor3
01-28-2009, 01:53 PM
peanut butter patties *drools*

ATRAIN
01-28-2009, 01:53 PM
So what kind of cookies do you like to eat?

set-up

LOL I cant remember the names

I Love Me Some Me
01-28-2009, 01:54 PM
They should just start selling Oreos door-to-door.

I'd buy them then.

Condemned 2 HelLA
01-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Jan 20, 2009 7:25 am US/Central

Economy Downsizing Girl Scout Cookies

DALLAS (CBS 11 News)

Every year Girl Scouts work hard to try to sell as many boxes as they can.

"You can go on trips, and it can help pay for your trips," said Girl Scout Abby Mullan.

But this year, Girl Scout leaders admit something is different about their cookies. The cookie boxes have shrunk and so have the number of cookies in the boxes.

"It's shorter. It's smaller. It's an ounce less," laughs customer Suzanne Taylor.

But the prices have not changed.

"I could have bought a big thing of Oreos for three bucks," adds other customer Wendy Smoot.

Colleen Walker, the CEO for the Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas, said they had to do it.

"Cocoa, sugar and flour have gone up a minimum of 30 percent in the last year."

So the leaders were down to three choices. They could use cheaper products, charge more or slice off a cookie or two.

"We had to take the lesser of the three evils," said Walker.

But Girl Scouts have a solution for the new packaging and Abby offers this advice: "Buy more boxes so you can get more cookies."

Girl Scout leaders want families to remember cookies are the Scouts' connection to the communities they help serve and eventually lead in some cases.

http://cbs11tv.com/consumer/Girl.Scout.Cookies.2.912546.html

IronMexican
01-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Mint ones are bomb.

Blake
01-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Ive ordered about four boxes of those overpriced crackies

I wonder what the percentage is that actually goes to the girl selling them

Sal Monella
01-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Thin Mints ftw!

+1 Those are my favorites!

CubanMustGo
01-28-2009, 03:29 PM
I like the Thank Yous, they're pretty new. Thin Mints eternally FTW, too.

Re package getting smaller/price going up, one or the other happens every year. And re "Cocoa, sugar and flour have gone up a minimum of 30 percent in the last year" when the hell are we going to have this deflation everyone is so worried about? Gas and diesel prices are WAY down, electricity and natural gas are WAY down (for large consumers especially), and yet prices for all kinds of manufactured consumer goods keep going up. :bang

EDIT: Girl Scouts PB cookies don't have salmonella (http://www.gsctx.org/ama/orig/ABC-PeanutButter.pdf) press release.

desflood
01-28-2009, 03:31 PM
I love the samoas. Those probably have high fructose corn syrup. Mmmm, mercury....

CubanMustGo
01-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Ive ordered about four boxes of those overpriced crackies

I wonder what the percentage is that actually goes to the girl selling them

The girl gets nothing, basically. FWIW here's what Wiki says ... and there are other sources with similar data.

The profit from cookie sales is divided among three levels within the Girl Scouts organization: the national Girl Scouts of the USA, the regional councils, and the local troops of girls.[2]

Each Girl Scout council operates their own cookie sale. They set the price per box based on the local economy. The profits are divided by their own formula. Local troops get around 10 percent to 15 percent of the price paid, the council takes more than 50 percent, and the manufacturer gets the remainder. For a $4 box the local troop will earn between 40 and 60 cents per box. The scout herself only earns a stuffed toy, a T-shirt or a badge for her uniform. In 1992 the Girl Scouts nationwide sold 175 million boxes of the cookies.[7]

Revenues, at all levels, are used to pay for events and activities for the Girl Scouts, maintenance of the council's Girl Scout camps and other properties, cookie sale incentives, and Council administration costs. Each council can provide a breakdown showing how cookie money is used in that council (this information is usually printed on the back of the Cookie Order Forms). The companies that produce the cookies get about one third of the selling price of the cookies.[8]

In 2008, 15-year-old Jennifer Sharpe from Dearborn, Michigan sold 17,328 boxes of cookies.[9] This was a new record for her troop and possibly an all-time record. Elizabeth Brinton is also famous for her record cookie sales, having sold more than 100,000 boxes in her time as a Girl Scout.

I used to just tell the poor girls "here's a $10 donation for your troop" but that seemed to confuse them so much that I just break down and buy a few boxes.

ComfortablyNumb
01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
I buy more if a nice looking Girl Scout mom is chaperoning.

IronMexican
01-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Brinton is a cookie selling beast. She might put Billy Mays and Headset Vince out of work one day.

Blake
01-28-2009, 03:51 PM
The girl gets nothing, basically. FWIW here's what Wiki says ... and there are other sources with similar data.

The profit from cookie sales is divided among three levels within the Girl Scouts organization: the national Girl Scouts of the USA, the regional councils, and the local troops of girls.[2]

Each Girl Scout council operates their own cookie sale. They set the price per box based on the local economy. The profits are divided by their own formula. Local troops get around 10 percent to 15 percent of the price paid, the council takes more than 50 percent, and the manufacturer gets the remainder. For a $4 box the local troop will earn between 40 and 60 cents per box. The scout herself only earns a stuffed toy, a T-shirt or a badge for her uniform. In 1992 the Girl Scouts nationwide sold 175 million boxes of the cookies.[7]

Revenues, at all levels, are used to pay for events and activities for the Girl Scouts, maintenance of the council's Girl Scout camps and other properties, cookie sale incentives, and Council administration costs. Each council can provide a breakdown showing how cookie money is used in that council (this information is usually printed on the back of the Cookie Order Forms). The companies that produce the cookies get about one third of the selling price of the cookies.[8]

In 2008, 15-year-old Jennifer Sharpe from Dearborn, Michigan sold 17,328 boxes of cookies.[9] This was a new record for her troop and possibly an all-time record. Elizabeth Brinton is also famous for her record cookie sales, having sold more than 100,000 boxes in her time as a Girl Scout.

I used to just tell the poor girls "here's a $10 donation for your troop" but that seemed to confuse them so much that I just break down and buy a few boxes.

I figured as much.

There is a very nice brand new girl scout building on the east side of 281/Nakoma behind the big car dealership. There were a lot of cookies that went into that building apparently.

it reeks of scam to me........

JudynTX
01-28-2009, 04:07 PM
My sister used to work for the Girl Scout Council many many years ago. She would get free cookies. lol

What do the boy scouts sell? That stale popcorn? :lol

Blake
01-28-2009, 04:23 PM
My sister used to work for the Girl Scout Council many many years ago. She would get free cookies. lol

What do the boy scouts sell? That stale popcorn? :lol

that popcorn sucks

they should sell cookies too

JoeChalupa
01-28-2009, 04:30 PM
I got kicked out of Boy Scouts.....for eating Brownies. :wow

JudynTX
01-28-2009, 04:49 PM

Bad boy! :lol

balli
01-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Samoas.

ploto
01-28-2009, 05:17 PM
CNN has a discussion going on about parents who pressure their fellow workers to buy Girl Scout cookies, especially bosses who approach the employees individually, as opposed to posting the sheet on a bulletin board or something of that sort. It got me to thinking-- the vast majority of GS cookies I have purchased have been from parents and not the girls. Isn't that the exact opposite of the whole point of the Girl Scouts- to teach the girls that they are capable and independent.

http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?secondarySortBy=last24hours&sortBy=commented&sortOrder=2&topicId=202087&numResults=12

Blake
01-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Ive heard nowadays you get kicked out for not eating sausage....

that was mean......I shouldnt have said that

Blake
01-28-2009, 05:43 PM
CNN has a discussion going on about parents who pressure their fellow workers to buy Girl Scout cookies, especially bosses who approach the employees individually, as opposed to posting the sheet on a bulletin board or something of that sort. It got me to thinking-- the vast majority of GS cookies I have purchased have been from parents and not the girls. Isn't that the exact opposite of the whole point of the Girl Scouts- to teach the girls that they are capable and independent.

http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?secondarySortBy=last24hours&sortBy=commented&sortOrder=2&topicId=202087&numResults=12

pffft....

parents do the bulk of the work throughout all facets of kid's school age lives.

there were only a couple of kids that I knew actually did their entire science project all on their own that turned out looking good.

Most of the kids that did it on their own usually had a couple of dead plants, a light bulb and a poster board with a few pictures of what it was supposed to look like.

stretch
01-28-2009, 06:32 PM
the one time i bought girl scout cookies they tasted like elephant shit

Blake
01-28-2009, 07:00 PM
the one time i bought girl scout cookies they tasted like elephant shit

you eat elephantshit?

Summers
01-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Oh, I hate those little bitches with their big brown eyes and cute toothy grins and sarcastic rhetoric of "Do you want to buy some cookies?"

TPMS6tGOACo&NR=1

Summers
01-28-2009, 07:22 PM
PS: I like caramel delites.

ploto
01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
parents do the bulk of the work throughout all facets of kid's school age lives.

there were only a couple of kids that I knew actually did their entire science project all on their own that turned out looking good.

Most of the kids that did it on their own usually had a couple of dead plants, a light bulb and a poster board with a few pictures of what it was supposed to look like.

There is a VAST dfference between helping a child to do a task and doing it for them. It is one thing to check their math or proofread their paper, and an entirely different thing to do their math and write their paper for them. In the case of these cookies, I never even saw the kid. The kid never asked me to buy cookies or took my order or delivered them to me. The parent was not helping the child to do the task- she was doing it for her.

JudynTX
02-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm enjoying Thin Mints right now.

Blake
02-04-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm enjoying Thin Mints right now.

how many came in the box? like 5?

Ive already had my door bell ring three times in the last two nights with little scouters trying to sign me up.

God I hate answering the door and telling these little girls "sorry, Ive already ordered some" while their mom sits out front in her minivan.

JudynTX
02-04-2009, 11:09 AM
how many came in the box? like 5?

Ive already had my door bell ring three times in the last two nights with little scouters trying to sign me up.

God I hate answering the door and telling these little girls "sorry, Ive already ordered some" while their mom sits out front in her minivan.

20 something in a box.

Hey, at least they are going door-to-door selling them. I remember when I was in GS, I'd walk blocks and blocks selling those things.

Blake
02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
when/if my girl does it, even if I have to take out a loan, I'm gonna order a set number of cookies to start with and then sit out front of the walmart or blockbuster like those other vultures do.

seems much easier.

I. Hustle
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Thin F'n Mints FTMFW!

I want to try those new lemon ones though but I have 3 boxes of thin mints. I leave them on my desk for people to grab a cookie when they come see me.

Blake
02-04-2009, 01:50 PM
eh? lemon?

I. Hustle
02-04-2009, 01:53 PM
when/if my girl does it, even if I have to take out a loan, I'm gonna order a set number of cookies to start with and then sit out front of the walmart or blockbuster like those other vultures do.

seems much easier.

Your girlfriend must be really young. REALLY young.

http://www.gibbocool.com/upload/files/pedobear.png

JudynTX
02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Thin F'n Mints FTMFW!

I want to try those new lemon ones though but I have 3 boxes of thin mints. I leave them on my desk for people to grab a cookie when they come see me.

That's mighty nice of you.

I also bought the new one - Dulce de Leche

I. Hustle
02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
eh? lemon?

Some kind of lemon bar. I just want to try it. I didn't buy it. Plus they have some new tres leches cookies but they have caramel.

I. Hustle
02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
That's mighty nice of you.

I also bought the new one - Dulce de Leche

That's it Dulce de Leche. It makes sense now. I was like Tres Leches cookie? With Caramel? But it makes sense now. Thanks.

JudynTX
02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
That's it Dulce de Leche. It makes sense now. I was like Tres Leches cookie? With Caramel? But it makes sense now. Thanks.

Did you try them?

I. Hustle
02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Did you try them?

No. I don't like alot of caramel. I have however already eaten half a box of thin mints.