PDA

View Full Version : Trade Ideas For Diop

STX_21
01-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I've seen this "Diop" idea thrown around. I think he has the size, length, and defense to make a big impact down low. What are we willing to give up? What would it take to get him?

xtremesteven33
01-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Id love to have Diop. His length and strentgh give Bynum problems big time. id give up Mahinmi and Udoka for him. Not sure though if MJ wants to do it that way.....

PDXSpursFan
01-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Diop would fit perfectly on the Spurs system. But the problem is that he also fits perfect on Larry Brown's system so there is no way the Bobcats will give him

Kindergarten Cop
01-28-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't think Diop is available to be traded until mid-March (since he was just traded) - which would mean that if we traded for him then, he wouldn't be able to play for us in the playoffs. Obviously, if that is the case we wouldn't be interested in trading for him this season.

Please feel free to correct me if this information is incorrect. Thanks.

timvp
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Diop is due ~$27 million over the next four years.

Pass.

SenorSpur
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't think Diop is available to be traded until mid-March (since he was just traded) - which would mean that if we traded for him then, he wouldn't be able to play for us in the playoffs. Obviously, if that is the case we wouldn't be interested in trading for him this season.

Please feel free to correct me if this information is incorrect. Thanks.

That's correct. Any player involved in a trade, cannot be traded again for 60 days.

STX_21
01-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Next best, realistic option out there (assuming RC realizes that we have a problem with the frontcourt)??????

Manufan909
01-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Next best, realistic option out there (assuming RC realizes that we have a problem with the frontcourt)??????

Wilcox???

I haven't done my hw like some on here, but IIRC he is on the Warriors. He might be lax on D there, but Pop would trim him into shape.

And all the Spurs have to offer is Fab/KT/Vaughn/Ime/Bonner, which won't get much, except maybe Bonner. Damn, I hope Wilcox is actually on the Warriorsl, cuz a shooting big would do wonders for them!!!:lol

EDIT: My bad, he is on OKC, hope they would like some expiring contracts. Where is Isiah when you need him?

portnoy1
01-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Samuel Dalembert ht - 6-11 / age - 28 YOUNG ATHLETIC center
5.8 pts / 8.4 rbs / 1.7 blks

Andris Biedrins ht - 6-11 / age - 22 YOUNG ATHLETIC center
13.5 pts / 12.1 rbs / 1.7 blks / 1.2 stls

Chris Andersen ht - 6-10 / young 30 / ATHLETIC center
5.8 pts / 5.5 rbs / 2.0 blks in 19 mins a game

Those are the kind of players needed in the spurs frontcourt. Timmy wont have to block every shot or get every rebound. When timmy goes to the bench, you wont have opposing players getting layups/dunks or big men ( Oberto, Thomas, Bonner ) trying to take charges instead of blocking shots and putting the fear of god into little guys, like when #50 or Rasho nesterovic.

STX_21
01-28-2009, 05:14 PM

Those are the kind of players needed in the spurs frontcourt. Timmy wont have to block every shot or get every rebound. When timmy goes to the bench, you wont have opposing players getting layups/dunks or big men ( Oberto, Thomas, Bonner ) trying to take charges instead of blocking shots and putting the fear of god into little guys, like when #50 or Rasho nesterovic.

God, there's no hope if these are what's left. Its gonna take any of these guys a while to catch on to anything we in SA.

crc21209
01-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Dalembert for Oberto, Udoka, Vaughn, any kind of package like that.

Can you imagine a lineup of

PG- Parker
SG- Mason
SF- Finley
PF- Duncan
C- Dalembert

and off the bench

PG- Hill
SG- Ginobili
SF- Bowen
PF- Bonner
C- Thomas

STX_21
01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Thing is, how long before Dalembert cracks Pop's lineup. He doesn't strike me as having a great basketball IQ. I could be wrong though. Haven't seen a whole lot of him lately.

portnoy1
01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
All im sayin is we need a young athletic big man. you notice that other teams are getting layups. theres 2 reasons for that. 1 - obviously no big man, when duncan takes one step out the paint, its open game for any little guy to run in there untouched. 2 - pop obviously realizes reason 1 so he puts guys like 6-5 udoka as a power forward to stop penetration. but then udoka gets posted up and tim comes over and then were back to reason 1 arent we?

STX_21
01-28-2009, 05:33 PM
No, you're right. The options just ain't that great.

STX_21
01-28-2009, 05:33 PM
What's the deal with Marcus Camby? Not exactly my favorite but a nice upgrade still.

portnoy1
01-28-2009, 05:36 PM
now your talkin, totally forgot about him. perfect fit. probably wants to get out of LA really bad right now. can you think of any deals?

STX_21
01-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I have no idea how much money he makes. I think he has a pretty big contract. Anyone can help out there?

benefactor
01-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Attention...all of you are needed at this thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115462) to prepare for your exit. Thank you for your cooperation.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-28-2009, 05:47 PM
It's amazing how many ways our fans can try to think of to make worthless assets:
(Udoka Vaughn Finley Bonner Oberto Ian Tiago)
into something valuable:
(Diop Dalembert Biedrins Brand Wallace Kaman etc etc).

The real question should be:
Which one of our marquee players would you part with to make a big man happen in SA?
Manu, Tony, Hill, Mason, Bowen

That is what it would take.

STX_21
01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
It depends on who the big is now....bottom line is, we cannot win the West without acquriting a long athletic center. I'm not sure I can say we cannot win the West without (hill, mason, bowen) although i love these guys.

How serious are we about winning this year?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Ike Diogu.

Our last, best hope for a new big man who won't be able to learn the system or contribute in time for the playoffs.

:tu

duncan228
01-28-2009, 05:52 PM
What's the deal with Marcus Camby? Not exactly my favorite but a nice upgrade still.

I have no idea how much money he makes. I think he has a pretty big contract. Anyone can help out there?

Some Camby conversation here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113488

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-28-2009, 05:53 PM
It depends on who the big is now....bottom line is, we cannot win the West without acquriting a long athletic center. I'm not sure I can say we cannot win the West without (hill, mason, bowen) although i love these guys.

How serious are we about winning this year?

As serious as always.

Do we have the pieces to make a meaningful trade? No. Are there any FAs that can help us? Yet to find one.

Prepare yourself for Pop's "going with what we've got" speech, 'cause it's a comin'...

portnoy1
01-28-2009, 06:06 PM
SOUTHSIDE SPURS FAN is right. we have valuable assets on our team but we have to give them up to get something good.

portnoy1
01-28-2009, 06:08 PM
tony, manu, bowen, mason , hill those are the guys we have to get rid of to get something of equal or greater value.

portnoy1
01-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Robertas Javotkas ht - 6-11 / age - 28 drafted by the san antonio spurs 2001. still havent brought him over. he is a younger athletic muscular big man that the spurs could use RIGHT NOW. You might have seen him, he played for the lithuanian national team 2004 and 2008. there is footage of him on youtube. just type in his name if your curious. We still have the rights to him, we just need to fork out some money and buy him out of the euro-league he is playing in. if we do that we wont have to trade anybody, because at least for this year we will have what we need.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Robertas Javotkas ht - 6-11 / age - 28 drafted by the san antonio spurs 2001. still havent brought him over. he is a younger athletic muscular big man that the spurs could use RIGHT NOW. You might have seen him, he played for the lithuanian national team 2004 and 2008. there is footage of him on youtube. just type in his name if your curious. We still have the rights to him, we just need to fork out some money and buy him out of the euro-league he is playing in. if we do that we wont have to trade anybody, because at least for this year we will have what we need.

Can we get him during this season?

If so, I wonder if the FO is considering it after Ian's diagnosis was made.

portnoy1
01-28-2009, 06:26 PM
he was in a motorcycle accident in 2003 has rehabilitated and is a solid big man. I dont know how much he would cost. but if i were RC i would trade Ian, Ime and that hairston dude for cash and get him over immediately. Also keep in mind we have time to make a trade. 3 weeks or something like that left.

South Side Spurs Fan
01-28-2009, 06:38 PM
he was in a motorcycle accident in 2003 has rehabilitated and is a solid big man. I dont know how much he would cost. but if i were RC i would trade Ian, Ime and that hairston dude for cash and get him over immediately. Also keep in mind we have time to make a trade. 3 weeks or something like that left.

That is about the first feasible idea I've heard in the past couple of weeks.

But I will say my hopes for Ian and Hairston are high. Do you think Javtokas would be worth it? Could he contribute boards and blocks? I know his story, and I know his vertical before the accident was outrageous. But I, like many folks around her, wonder how much he could contribute in the NBA.

wildbill2u
01-28-2009, 07:05 PM

I think they looked into bringing him over a year or two ago but the Spurs offer was so low he was insulted because he was able to make more money in Europe.

There's a lot of players in that category these days. Remember Splitter?

SenorSpur
01-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Like others, I believe Diop would provide the type of paint presence the Spurs have been lacking since Rasho departed. In fact, I touted him as a potential FA acquisition over the summer. However, Cuban decided to grossly overpay him.

Having said that, this proposal is absolutely ridiculous. No way I give up on 2 essential future guys (Ian & Hairston) that have possess skills that are currently not on the roster. The Spurs don't have many assets as it is and you're trying to get rid of 2 potential future assets before they develop to their full potential.

If he couldn't be had for some other combination of a future draft pick, Udoka, cash and the rights to either Jaktovas or Splitter, I don't do this deal. The Spurs desparately need another big, but making such a foolish move would be mortgaging the future. It is also how an old team becomes even older.

Ask Cuban if he'd like a do-over on the Devin Harris/Jason Kidd trade.

SenorSpur
01-28-2009, 07:08 PM
I think they looked into bringing him over a year or two ago but the Spurs offer was so low he was insulted because he was able to make more money in Europe.

There's a lot of players in that category these days. Remember Splitter?

Thank you. He aint coming here.

ChumpDumper
01-28-2009, 07:14 PM
You can't trade players to Russia.

mrspurs
01-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Dalembert, last time I checked was second only to Dwight in the all star voting for centers. He is that good. Teams wont just come in make easy layups at will with him down low. He's a good swatter and rebounder. But imo to late to learn anything this season. I didnt like bringing in Kurt so late in the season last year. We only brought him in to beat the Suns in the POs. Everyone and their mothers thought with Shaq the Suns would be the team to beat. Nows Kurt is another year older and slower. If the Spurs were gonna make a move towards making this team a contender they would have made it this summer. Oh wait, that kinda got side tracked when Manu hurt himself playing in the Olympics. Either way I think its pretty safe to say what Pop and Timmy and Mr.Holt have already said. We're gonna go with what we have. And let next year come....next year. Ive got no problems with making the POs and getting knocked out. Been there, done that. At least they're not gonna raise ticket prices. Thats the FO telling their fans, we understand yalls concerns, but our hands are tied.

Austin_Toros
01-28-2009, 08:19 PM
What makes anybody think that we will be able to get Diop? We would be getting him from a team that just traded for him!!!

No Chris Kaman? Great player. And Biedrins is staying put.

Ike Diogu.
Our last, best hope for a new big man who won't be able to learn the system or contribute in time for the playoffs.
:tu

Don't bag Ike. His first couple of years in the NBA made him look promising. :)

xmas1997
01-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Ok, I haven't posted in a while, but since I have read my fill of innane and improbable posts, I thought I might as well post an innane and improbable one myself.

The answer to all our problems would be ...............
for Holt and the other Spur investers to buy Tau.
Then we could have Tiago now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told you it would be innane and highly improbable, but stranger things than these have happened.

superbigtime
01-28-2009, 11:18 PM
If Dalembert is so great why did his Olympic national team coach dismiss him from the team? His teammates did not like him. He's lazy and inconsistent. He hasn't played well this year with or without Elton Brand. He is way overpaid. -----------pass----------

benefactor
01-28-2009, 11:46 PM
You can't trade players to Russia.
:lol:downspin:

venitian navigator
01-29-2009, 07:16 AM
I don't know if the mid level is grassly overpaiyng Diop...that means, imho, a player that in our system would start like Center.
I know he didn't play a lot this year, but in past he showed taht, if given time, he can run, rebound a block shots...and defend very well.
With Tim, that's all we need...so, in our System, he would be very, very valuable.
Quite like a Chandler type...and I think that, when we had the chance, trade for Chandler would have been a very good idea.
Some for Dalembert...
Elson was this kind of player...but with a lot less taklent.
However, he would have been a good addiction if he wasn't also missing all the possible rotations in our defensive system...and, with less taklent than the above mentiooned, his skills in rebounding , shot blocking and, occasionally, adding points weren't strong enough to compensate his deficiencies.

I Know it looks like I'm regretting too much the "twin towers time", but with high teams like L.A. i see no way we can compete with the line up we have at the moment.

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2009, 08:48 AM
if we trade for diop, is he a good ft shooter? cause teams will start hack-a-diop tactic against us....

SenorSpur
01-29-2009, 01:13 PM
if we trade for diop, is he a good ft shooter? cause teams will start hack-a-diop tactic against us....

Absolutely horrible FT shooter. Even worse than Shaq. His 43% career FT% is probably hovering somewhere the great Chris Dudley.

benefactor
01-29-2009, 01:22 PM
The amount of fail in this thread is immeasurable.

sribb43
01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Please trade for Diop..:lol

portnoy1
01-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Everyone is laughing at the Robertas Javotkas Idea, but frankly he is the only realistic center that we can get without making a trade. also dont forget how effective Nazr Mohammed was with the spurs, even though he came in the middle of the season. Javotkas is more muscular, more athletic, more defensive and unlike most spurs bigs he doesn't lay the ball up, he gets it with two hands and the next thing you know he's hangin on the rim. whatever price he cost we can trade ime, ian an hairtston for cash and bring Javotkas over immediately and hopefully have some money left to bring Gist and Splitter over next season.

waly.mg
01-29-2009, 02:39 PM
If anyone spend Fouls in Diop is an a--hole, because they need fouls for TD.
Normally with TD, the other big man have foul troubles
And the Hack to Diop work, if the Spurs are in Bonus so we can use Diop at the beggining of the Quarters, and we can finish with Small Ball or with a Better FT Shooter
Diop in the spurs never can play 20 minutes, probably not 15

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-29-2009, 04:52 PM
STX 21.

Check.