PDA

View Full Version : Ray Allen A "great Scorer"

STX_21
01-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Read this in an article today and it bothered me. My friends say I'm a Ray Allen hater so help me out please. Is Ray Allen a GREAT SCORER, or a great shooter?

In my opinion to be considered great, you have to be able to be productive when your jumper is off....get some layups, get to the line, fast break points, etc. (Paul Peirce/Manu/Kobe can get you 15 points off the line while their jumper gets going)...

What do ya'll think?

lefty
01-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Great shooter.
Not great, but good scorer.

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2009, 04:48 PM
right now, he's definitely far from a "great" scorer..but in his prime? I'd call him a great scorer, although I would have a lot of people on that list..

STX_21
01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
right now, he's definitely far from a "great" scorer..but in his prime? I'd call him a great scorer, although I would have a lot of people on that list..

I mean, how many people are on a "GREAT SCORER" list though? Kinda weird to consider 4,000 people great scorers. Great means you stand out above other scorers. I think he is a scorer....Great...in my opinion is a stretch.

Kobe, T-mac (in his prime), Allen Iverson...stand out above the other scorers in their era.

ploto
01-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Great shooter

Blake
01-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I can't remember seeing him drive to the basket any time recently......

I'll echo:

great shooter
average scorer of his own dribble

reminds me of Dale Ellis

mogrovejo
01-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Ray Allen (% jump-shots)

07/08 - 79%
08/09 - 79%

Manu Ginobili (% of jump-shots)

07/08 - 74%
08/09 - 73%

Not much of a difference, is it?

---------

Ray Allen was always able to create off-the-dribble, although he's always been a shooter first and foremost. But still a great scorer, it's impossible to average 26 ppg just as a pure shooter. He's versatile even as a shooter, having a mid-range, being able to pull of the drible, shooting with his feet set, running through screens to catch ,etc. People forget it but Ray was insanely athletic, he entered the dunk contest.

Btw, he's on pace to enter the 50FG%/403PT%/90FT% club, only 9 guys in the history of the NBA averaged that throughtout an entire season.

Rogue
01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Is Ray Allen still able to dunk now? I doubt he can.

I'm afraid the only celtic left that can dunk now is just Rondo.

flipcritic
01-28-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't like Ray Allen, but I'm not a hater. In his prime he was a terrific scorer, not as much now because it's not needed of him to create his own shots. He's still one of the more athletic guys in the league (it was nice to see him break out some moves in crucial games of the Finals last year). It's just that his jump shot is so pure that it's easier to overlook his other skills.

bigfan
01-29-2009, 12:22 AM
One thing for sure, he is a great whiner.

jag
01-29-2009, 12:45 AM
I think he's still capable of being a good scorer, but that's just not his role right now.

In his prime i'd consider him a great scorer and a great shooter. You're not gonna be the #1 option for the majority of your career just being a great shooter.

peskypesky
01-29-2009, 01:11 AM
He's a damn good scorer.