PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson's 71 Point Game

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-28-2009, 04:50 PM
I just came across this website dealing with his 71 point game, including the box score thought some of you guys might enjoy a trip down memory lane.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/8895/71sco.htm

Here is an interesting part I've never seen before.

The following is a brief description by David Robinson on his most memorable game, published in the February, 1994 issue (Vol. 23 No.4) of Basketball Digest.

By David Robinson:

" Generally, I don't get wrapped up in individual accomplishments. Most times, my primary focus is on the team. I just try to win games and not worry about personal goals. I don't like getting too much hype.
One time, however, there was an opportunity to win the NBA scoring title, and I capitalized on it - with lots of help from my teammates, of course.
It came on the final day of the 1994 regular season. At the time, I was locked in a close duel with Shaquille O'Neal of the Orlando Magic for the scoring championship.
Going into out final games, he was ahead by a fraction of a point. I needed to outscore O'Neal by four points to win the title.
San Antonio was playing on the road against the Los Angeles Clippers while Orlando was at home against the New Jersey Nets later that day.
Our game was meaningless for both clubs. We were in the playoffs, and the Clippers were not. Its only significance was its affect on the scoring race.
One thing that was special for me that day was the fact that my brother, Charles, was at the game and sitting on our bench. He was in the Air Force stationed at Biloxi, Mississippi, but was in Los Angeles at the time. Charles is a very good basketball player. He played at the Naval Academy, like I did, and practices with us occasionally.
Our coach John Lucas, was more fired up about the game than I was. He had said the previous day that since there was nothing else to accomplish during the regular season, it was fair for me to go for the scoring title.
My teammates also were rooting for me, which was a nice position to be put in for a change. Usually, it's the opposite. Most often, I'm concerned with what they're doing.
From the opening tip, I was hot. In fact, I scored the Spurs' first 18, accounting for all but two of our 20 first quarter points. Once my teammates realized that I had such a hot hand, they kept looking for me, trying to get me the ball.
The Clippers, of course, were trying hard to stop me. They were fighting, clawing, bumping, grinding, and double- and triple-teaming me to try and keep me from scoring. I had the scratches and bruises to show for it. In fact, I went to the foul line 25 times that night. That's a remarkable number under any circumstances.
In the second quarter, my production slowed considerably. I was not in sync and scored only six points. Still, I had 24 by the half.
My teammates were confident I was going to finish with at least 50 points. They knew I was capable of scoring as much as 35 or 40 in a half, possibly more. I had reached the half century mark easily a few times that season and figured that if I scored 50 or 55, I would win the title. Everyone knows that Shaq is capable of scoring a lot of points, but I figured about 50 would be safe.
I wasn't thinking much about Shaq, though. I was just concerned about playing my game and getting done what I had to do.
I really got rolling in the third period and scored 19 points, giving me 43 for the game. Even the Clippers' fans were rooting for me despite the fact that Los Angeles had a good shot at winning the ballgame, trailing by only four after three quarters.
The fourth quarter was really remarkable. Despite tremendous pressure from the Clippers' defense, who knew the ball was going into me most of the time, I scored 28 points. That gave me a total of 71, a total that put me into some elite company. Only three other player- Wilt Chamberlain, David Thompson, and Elgin Baylor- had scored as many as 70 points in an NBA game.
As the game went on, the most enthusiastic person in the arena was Lucas. John is very excitable, and he was going crazy on the sidelines. He loved it. He was jumping all around. He told me I wasn't coming out until I got 60. When I got to 60, he said I wasn't coming out until I broke George Gervin's team record of 63. When I did that, he said I wasn't coming out until I got 70.
When it was over, and we got to the locker room, Lucas said I should have had 80. I had missed a few foul shots an some field goal attempts. By the end, though, I was tired. I knew I had been to work that night against a Clippers team that had fouled me hard.
After the game, which we won 112-97, I figured the scoring race was over. I didn't think Shaq would beat me. He didn't. O'Neal needed 68 points against the Nets to take back the scoring lead, but finished with only 32.
I was the scoring champion for the first time in my NBA career, an honour for which I owe much to my teammates. I couldn't have done it without them. Their unselfishness was a very positive thing. It was fun to be a part of such an accomplishment. That's why I rank that as the most memorable game of my career. As I said, I don't usually place a high priority on individual accomplishments, but this was different. "

-As told to Bert Rosenthal

Man I can't believe this game wasn't on TV.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-28-2009, 04:54 PM
SUn7BvZ-4ZQ

PM5K
01-28-2009, 05:15 PM
David could still put up 10/10/2

benefactor
01-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Pretty cool. Nice find.

FromWayDowntown
01-28-2009, 05:58 PM
I still remember sitting in the kitchen, listening to that game (in its entirety) on the radio.

Stump
01-28-2009, 05:59 PM
I can already see all the new Spurs fans scurrying around.

"OMG, who is this guy?! Let's trade Udoka, Vaughn, Oberto, and picks for him!"

stretch
01-28-2009, 06:34 PM
David could still put up 10/10/2

:rolleyes

homer

YODA
01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
People forget how good he was. Didnt he once avg like 27 and 15 boards? We forget way to fast.

Props to 5 0

DannyT
01-28-2009, 07:06 PM
I just came across this website dealing with his 71 point game, including the box score thought some of you guys might enjoy a trip down memory lane.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/8895/71sco.htm

Here is an interesting part I've never seen before.

Man I can't believe this game wasn't on TV.

I member listening to that shit on my little alarm clock radio...listen to them talk about madonna in the stands and the crowd cheering for David.

Fernando TD21
01-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Wow 28 points just in the fourth quarter.:wow

mrspurs
01-28-2009, 07:39 PM
People forget how good he was. Didnt he once avg like 27 and 15 boards? We forget way to fast.

Props to 5 0

No real Spurs fan ever forgot how good he was. Heck you dont even have to be a Spurs fan. Matter fact I bet those who hated San Antonio remember David more.....:lol

kace
01-28-2009, 08:07 PM
No real Spurs fan ever forgot how good he was. Heck you dont even have to be a Spurs fan. Matter fact I bet those who hated San Antonio remember David more.....:lol

well, those poor defensors (falling on the ground after one his dunk or trying to push him almost on their knees to deny him the ball while he's standing quietly) surely remember him.

jdaveah
01-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Who can forget the deadly backcourt of Negele Knight and Sleepy Floyd.