PDA

View Full Version : Modest Mouse - March 4 - Stubb's

spurs_2108
01-28-2009, 05:18 PM
http://www.modestmouse.com/photoblog/tours/

This is going to be my first MM. Can't wait.

Melmart1
01-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Ohhh, Johnny Marr. I do heart him so!

spurs_2108
01-28-2009, 05:49 PM
^ It doesn't appear that he will be playing this tour. He is playing with the Cribs now. So it could be a one CD thing that he did with Modest Mouse.

PakiDan
01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
^ It doesn't appear that he will be playing this tour. He is playing with the Cribs now. So it could be a one CD thing that he did with Modest Mouse.

Yeah - the only remaining, redeeming quality of modest Mouse is gone. Marr is no longer with the group. I think I posted this before, but I was totally psyched a few years ago to be seeing one of only 4 MM shows in the country that year in Orange County. Small, Intimate venue... I could hardly contain my excitement. Needless to say... the show sucked. It was like a bad garage jam. The band wasn't together. A few of them seemed down right confused, and I really could feel the anguish emanating from Marr at the agony of being degraded to playing with such sub-par musicians. There were times when I thought he was going to bolt from the stage in embarrassment... it was that bad. All in all - a HUGE letdown. I hope they've got their shit together!

PakiDan
01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Ohhh, Johnny Marr. I do heart him so!

Hey Melmart! - The Moz is coming in March to Houston, and Austin. Wanna go?

Melmart1
01-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey Melmart! - The Moz is coming in March to Houston, and Austin. Wanna go?

No way!?! How did I not hear about this? Jeez! Let me see, I may not be able to, I know my sister's surgery is sometime around then, and I will be taking care of her kids again while she recovers. It's major surgery, so I could have them a couple of weeks. But Austin would be good -- I have only driven to Houston for a concert once and that is enough for me! Thems be some crazy drivers.

PakiDan
01-28-2009, 09:40 PM
No way!?! How did I not hear about this? Jeez! Let me see, I may not be able to, I know my sister's surgery is sometime around then, and I will be taking care of her kids again while she recovers. It's major surgery, so I could have them a couple of weeks. But Austin would be good -- I have only driven to Houston for a concert once and that is enough for me! Thems be some crazy drivers.

Hey - my bad... It's early April. You have no excuse... that's enough lead time. I'll be going - you are more than welcome to hop on the bus!!!

Melmart1
01-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Hey - my bad... It's early April. You have no excuse... that's enough lead time. I'll be going - you are more than welcome to hop on the bus!!!

As long as its not opening day for the Rangers, which I believe is the 6th of April. I will have to check, but I already have plans for that. What can I say, I am a glutton for punishment :depressed

katyon6th
01-28-2009, 11:08 PM
The time I saw them live, they were absolutely terrible. That was back in 2004.

Findog
01-28-2009, 11:10 PM
http://www.modestmouse.com/photoblog/tours/

This is going to be my first MM. Can't wait.

Saw them in 2002 in Ft Worth. Man that brings back memories. Listened to them a lot in college, circa 1999-2001. So they're like popular now?

Findog
01-28-2009, 11:10 PM
In other news, the Brian Jonestown Massacre is coming to Dallas on April 14th.

IronMexican
01-28-2009, 11:36 PM
It isn't as good as Insane Clown Possy, but it's alright.

dickface
01-28-2009, 11:38 PM
So is this that one band that people say they really like, in order to look hip and cool, even tho there's a whole other group who say they liked them before they got played on the radio but now their new radio-friendly stuff sucks, in order to look hipper and cooler?

Findog
01-29-2009, 12:02 AM
So is this that one band that people say they really like, in order to look hip and cool, even tho there's a whole other group who say they liked them before they got played on the radio but now their new radio-friendly stuff sucks, in order to look hipper and cooler?

Exactly. I'm just happy that Anton Newcombe will personally see to it that the Brian Jonestown Massacre will never enjoy any mainstream, commercial success.

spurs_2108
01-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah - the only remaining, redeeming quality of modest Mouse is gone. Marr is no longer with the group. I think I posted this before, but I was totally psyched a few years ago to be seeing one of only 4 MM shows in the country that year in Orange County. Small, Intimate venue... I could hardly contain my excitement. Needless to say... the show sucked. It was like a bad garage jam. The band wasn't together. A few of them seemed down right confused, and I really could feel the anguish emanating from Marr at the agony of being degraded to playing with such sub-par musicians. There were times when I thought he was going to bolt from the stage in embarrassment... it was that bad. All in all - a HUGE letdown. I hope they've got their shit together!

I don't think Marr is gone, he is just with the Cribb's right now. But according to Billboard http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/modest-mouse-returning-to-the-road-1003935234.story

Marr is still with the band, just not playing with the band this short 12 date tour.

Sucks to hear that you thought the band was a garage band. Maybe they just had a bad night. Do you think you can link me to your post about the show?

Saw them in 2002 in Ft Worth. Man that brings back memories. Listened to them a lot in college, circa 1999-2001. So they're like popular now?

Well the only reason why i started this thread is because I've been a fan for like 4 or 5 years and finally getting out to see them for the first time. The lonesome crowded west days must of been sweet. I wouldn't really call them popular. Their album Good News For People Who Love Bad News was kinda a big hit, but they really aren't a household name I believe.

DisAsTerBot
01-30-2009, 10:30 AM

yup. im glad they got to enjoy some mainstream success, but i think the music suffered for it...............or at the very least Isaac got older and more radio friendly....

Lonesome Crowded West, Long Drive, Something out of Nothing, Moon and Antartica, Sad Sappy Sucker............ALL BRILLIANT

spurs_2108
01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Good News still had some pretty good songs on it. It was the cd that got me hook on MM.

We Were Dead is still good in my books.

spurs_2108
03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
This wednesday for those of you who got tickets!!!

spurs_2108
03-05-2009, 05:24 PM
My review.

This is what was played.

3rd Planet
We've Got Everything
Black Cadillacs
Here It Comes - Extended
The View
Fire It Up
Alone Down There
King Rat
Baby Blue Sedan
The Whale Song
Paper Thin Walls - w/ Pause
Blame It On The Tetons
Ohio
Float On
Doing The Cockroach w/ Extra Lyrics and Screaming Into Pickups
The Good Times Are Killing Me

Encore
Satellite Skin
Parting Of The Sensory

Looking at Pats, they switched The View and Fire It Up and we didn't get taking shit. It would been bad ass to get talking shit. I guess Ill type of a review.

I left my house around 2 with my friend. We didn't get to stubbs still right after 7/7:15. We ran some other errands, but I didn't really mind getting there late. Japanese Motors must have been playing right at 7 cause they only played 2 or 3 songs and they were off stage. They were pretty good. Surf rock style. Mimicking Birds came out, and the lead singer doesn't look like he will sound the way he sings. Its strange. Their music was chill and mellow. I liked a few of their songs. Really jammed out.

Next mouse came on around I'd say 8:50. That was really early. I knew that there was a curfew for loud outside music in Austin to be shut off at 11. They started the show off with 3rd Planet. I don't think I could of picked a better first song. Next was we've got everything. A sweet song. Black Cadillacs was next and it was rocking. Here It Comes, an old was brought out. It was the extended version too. The View was next. Still not a big fan of this song for some reason. Fire It Up turned out great. Then Alone Down There. The short little song was crazy. King Rat was next. I never gave this song more than a few listens, but I think its a really cool song live. The banjo is killer. Baby Blue Sedan. Not surprised It was played, since It has been played a lot on this tour. The Whale song was next. That was just a big crazy instrumental jam. It was wicked. Paper Thins Walls was up next. It got the crowd moving. A little different version. The band acted like the song was finished and stopped playing for 10-15 then resumed playing. It was not obvious, we just thought the song ended, but they picked it right back up again. NEXT wow. Blame It On The Tetons. I was asking jacquelyn for a live version and she didn't have one. I feel lucky for hearing this song. It has only been played what less than 20 times. The piano is so sweet. Jim was playing that part. Wish the outro lasted longer. Ohhhhhhhhiiiiiiio was next. I could live with out this one. Sorry, but its fun singing the Ohio parts. Float On OMG OMG OMG. Just playing, but of course this got everyone screaming and going crazy. They played it about half of the time on this tour so I was surprised to hear it. I'm glad they did, cause It was the song that turned me onto mouse. Doin The Cockroach was great to hear. I feel cool cause I can play the intro on my guitar. Towards the end, Isaac threw in some lyrics that I couldn't make out and he was screaming into his pickups. It was pretty sweet to see. Everyone was going crazy. Good Times was next. Still probably another I could do with out. After that they band parted and then came back after a minute or to. It was around 10:15 when the left, so I thought hey they got a good 45 minutes left for an encore. Well the encore existed of Satellite Skin and Parting Of The Sensory. I was really hoping to hear Trailer Trash or Cowboy Dan and maybe another old one ore two. I don't know why I was disappointed, but I just was. Maybe I got to greedy and wanted to hear more. I would like to hear Wild Pack Of Family Dogs, I Came As A Rat, Dashboard, Bury Me With It, Dancehall. I would of liked to hear at least a few of those. Overall It was a great 18 song setlist. Stupid curfew at 11 tho. If It was inside It would be different.

I could of done with out The View, Baby Blue, Ohio and Good Times and thrown in some other oldies. But I was really stoked to see Mouse for the first time and they didn't let down. Isaac has a few rants/banter. One It was Pats and Loftus. So he brought Loftus up on stage and the front and sang a few lines from some musical that I forgot for him. Another one was Isaac recognized some one in the crowd and said some like, you wore that shirt last time. I don't know If he was talking about last time they were in Austin or the last show, but he/she told him that they were in Tempe the other day and that. So Isaac asks what they do for a leaving and if they sell vacuums. It was pretty funny. Can't remember anything else like that.

Melmart1
03-25-2009, 11:47 PM

My fellow Moz fan came over this weekend and we were about to buy tickets online when we realized that April 12 is Easter Sunday. I will be out of town visiting my brother who is in the military for the holiday, so I won't be able to go :depressed

At least I got to see him two years ago. *sigh*

PakiDan
03-26-2009, 12:52 AM
My fellow Moz fan came over this weekend and we were about to buy tickets online when we realized that April 12 is Easter Sunday. I will be out of town visiting my brother who is in the military for the holiday, so I won't be able to go :depressed

At least I got to see him two years ago. *sigh*

Aaaarrrggggghhhh! Oh no! I am taking my 17 year old nephew. He recently discovered the Moz and is really excited about seeing him. Can I bring you a shirt or something?? Wish you could go!

Melmart1
03-26-2009, 01:21 AM
You mean, you heathens don't celebrate Easter? :lol Seriously though, I don't think its one of those big-deal holidays like Xmas but my mom is really into it and I have to kinda be there to play peacekeeper between my siblings :rolleyes

Glad you are spreading the word of Moz to the next generation! There were not enough young'ens at the last concert.

nsrammstein
03-26-2009, 02:22 AM
I can't believe people actually get excited over watching this band play a concert.

Modes Mouse is one of the worst bands I've seen perform on a fucking stage, and that says alot because I've been to a lot of high school mariachi contests.