PDA

View Full Version : Why Devin Brown

texasqb2
03-02-2005, 09:44 PM
you all know how I feel about Malik-I hated the guy's production. I cant stand Devin Brown getting Brent Barry's minutes. Why Pop? We all know the only times we dont win in the playoffs is b/c of outside shooting, give Barry his minutes, let him find his groove. Brown is a waste of time.

Walton Buys Off Me
03-02-2005, 09:46 PM
I just posted this- I feel bad for him actually because watching him play, you just know he's not an NBA player. He's here because he's from San Antonio and that's it.

Clandestino
03-02-2005, 09:48 PM
you guys must not have watched devin play last year..

Walton Buys Off Me
03-02-2005, 09:51 PM
I loved that "last year" argument- especially for a twelfth man, makes so much sense. Hey Brown's missed 87 straight shots but when he was eight year old, he hit a shot from midcourt you know...... Right now, there's a jagoff on a Laker board saying Brian Cook should be playing more.......

SequSpur
03-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Devin > Manu

bonesinaz
03-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Barry has 3 fouls.

Walton Buys Off Me
03-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Are you nuts? Devin Brown is without a doubt one of the 10 worst guards in the NBA, Manu is easily in the top ten.

That's the most insane thing I've read since they tried telling us about WMD's.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2005, 10:05 PM
you guys must not have watched devin play last year..

This is the same rationale Malik's supporters used to use. We aren't talking about the past, we're talking about here and now in 2005.

smeagol
03-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Walton > Sequ

MaNuMaNiAc
03-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Devin > Manu
Jesus, don't you have anything better to do than to post dumbass statements, you know Manu is better but you're saying that shit to get a rise out of people. Why don't you go release some tension elsewhere moron.

GoldToe
03-02-2005, 10:41 PM
I still say Devin can play in the NBA.
If Pop has trust in him why shouldn't we?

Tek_XX
03-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Devin wouldnt be playing if Brent Barry could play more consistently, both of them suck hard. Pop is waiting for one of them to shine but they refuse.

TwoHandJam
03-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Devin has been sucking pretty hard for weeks now. Timvp better jump in here and justify his boy's minutes because I don't think Pop will stand for much more of this.

Supergirl
03-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Devin gets minutes because he plays good D. He's averaged 2-4 blocks in the last few games and he rebounds. Pop likes him, he's very coachable.

Barry will get more minutes come playoff time, because he has the experience.

whottt
03-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Not that Devin plays good all the time...

But it's already obvious he's inherited Malik's mantle of being the target of those who need to bitch.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Devin's been playing great D of late, but it's pretty obvious his jumper has gone MIA.

TwoHandJam
03-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Not that Devin plays good all the time...

But it's already obvious he's inherited Malik's mantle of being the target of those who need to bitch.
Are you insinuating that Devin's play of late doesn't warrant bitching? Please.

whottt
03-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Some aspects of his play have warranted bitching all season long...I just find it funny that now that Malik is no longer here there are mutiple Devin bitch threads.

FWIW, his d was pretty good tonight.

TwoHandJam
03-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Some aspects of his play have warranted bitching all season long...I just find it funny that now that Malik is no longer here there are mutiple Devin bitch threads.

FWIW, his d was pretty good tonight.
Malik was an eight year vet and should be expected to make less mistakes than Devin. More was expected of him.

Devin has just really lost his confidence lately. His D is the only reason he isn't getting DNP-CDs but if he continues to make bad decisions with the ball, Pop will have to take measures.

SequSpur
03-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Devin has no idea what the fuck Pop wants. How can you cage a player with energy and athleticism? As soon as he does something, Pop is chewing his ass.

Fuck Popovich.

exstatic
03-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Devin's ball handling and decision making have taken a step backwards this year.

Spurgal
03-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Devin has no idea what the fuck Pop wants. How can you cage a player with energy and athleticism? As soon as he does something, Pop is chewing his ass.

Fuck Popovich.

Sounds like something he did to a player called Malik Rose... No matter how hard Malik tried, Pop thought It was trash to him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-03-2005, 12:01 AM
The problem with Rose was the harder he tried, the trashier his game was out on the court.

Spurgal
03-03-2005, 12:03 AM
The problem with Rose was the harder he tried, the trashier his game was out on the court.

Are you related to SequSpur? :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Nope, but I bet Malik is relieved to not have to use that restraining order anymore, at least not until you move to NY.

whottt
03-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Malik was an eight year vet and should be expected to make less mistakes than Devin. More was expected of him.

Devin has just really lost his confidence lately. His D is the only reason he isn't getting DNP-CDs but if he continues to make bad decisions with the ball, Pop will have to take measures.

Limiting Devin's minutes is not going to improve his play. I think he needs more court time(in blowouts) and I think his effort would justify those minutes. If Devin is to play a future role with this franchise...he needs PT.

Spurgal
03-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Nope, but I bet Malik is relieved to not have to use that restraining order anymore, at least not until you move to NY.

Aaahhhh.... You couldn't come up with something better then that. :lol

Yep, you and SequSpur are related.... :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I don't have to come up with something better than that.

Or should I cut and paste your PM about getting married to Malik, that was a fucking hilarious read.

Spurgal
03-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Whatever turns you on... :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Okay, "the future Mrs. Malik Rose."

It's gotta suck to be that fucked up in the head when you think you're Malik's girlfriend. Shouldn't you have moved to New York by now, to keep him company and all?

:lol

Iron Giant
03-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Could you paste the thread anyway? I somehow missed it....

Spurgal
03-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Okay, "the future Mrs. Malik Rose."

It's gotta suck to be that fucked up in the head when you think you're Malik's girlfriend. Shouldn't you have moved to New York by now, to keep him company and all?

:lol

Only someone as stupid as you would believe such a story! :lol

whottt
03-03-2005, 12:45 AM
Geez! Get a hotel room you two.

milkyway21
03-03-2005, 12:45 AM
Devin > Manuyou know Sequ, i just pray one day you make sense for just at least 1 sec. bec. you are not making sense at all!

Devin over Manu? thats total BS :flipoff

Spurgal
03-03-2005, 12:46 AM
AHF knows I love him! :makeout

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Who said I believed you? It's called sarcasm dumbass.

I don't know what's more pathetic - that you actually took the time to send me a PM thinking I'd stop criticizing Malik's bad play, or the fact that you wrote up your retarded ass story about being his girlfriend and planning on marrying him one day and saying he was sitting right next to you.

But I digress...

Spurgal
03-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Geez! Get a hotel room you two.

Maybe we should so I can personally kick AHF's Ass! :lol

T Park
03-03-2005, 01:07 AM
spurgal, go away.

The only thing that kept Devin Brown in the game tonight was that brent Barry sucked more than he did.

WTF is up with these two.

Devin cant hit shit, barry is playing dumb.

Holy christ guys wake the fuck up.

Spurgal
03-03-2005, 01:07 AM
AHF, you know I love you! Peace, Baby!

http://www.kolardesign.com/cards/200peacesign.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Please. All I have to do is threaten to tear up your Malik Rose t-shirt and you'd run away like a little girl.

whottt
03-03-2005, 01:09 AM
The only thing that kept Devin Brown in the game tonight was that brent Barry sucked more than he did.

WTF is up with these two.

Devin cant hit shit, barry is playing dumb.

Holy christ guys wake the fuck up.

What was wrong with Barry's play tonight? I must have missed it...in fact I thought this was probably his best game on D as a Spur.

Spurgal
03-03-2005, 01:09 AM
Please. All I have to do is threaten to tear up your Malik Rose t-shirt and you'd run away like a little girl.

:lol Anyway, I'm off to bed... Good night, guys! :sleep

AHF, I hope your nicer to me tomorrow. :angel

T Park
03-03-2005, 01:10 AM
what was wrong?? The horrible passes, maybe?

He had Malikitis tonight no question.

whottt
03-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Maybe I missed something...I'm gonna go rewatch the game.

T Park
03-03-2005, 01:19 AM
yeah, watch the cross court bounce pass thrown into two defenders.

the missed 10 foot shot that if Rasho had missed there would be 5 threads ripping his ass .

Barry's D was OK, but other than that 1 made shot and a few bad passes.

One pass though I give him a pass on so to speak, because Mohammed got pushed out of the way by Bosh and should've been a freakin foul.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 01:49 AM
What was wrong with Barry's play tonight? I must have missed it...in fact I thought this was probably his best game on D as a Spur.

You better re-watch it. Barry was horrible on D and he got his ass ripped for his passing.

Brent and Devin both suck right now. Funny thing is that I thought that it would be a dog fight for the backup swingman minutes because I thought both of them would bring invaluable stuff to the court. Now Pop is just begging one of them to step up and they both continually suck.

PLEASE one of them step up .. it's key.

T Park
03-03-2005, 02:03 AM
^^^ Thank you very much.

Exactly what Ive been saying lately.

Pop is begging either one of these guys to do something, and Barry and Brown are doing there best to NOT want it.

timvp
03-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Devin has been sucking pretty hard for weeks now. Timvp better jump in here and justify his boy's minutes because I don't think Pop will stand for much more of this.

It's tough for a player like Devin to do anything when he doesn't know when/if he's going to play. At this point, I just want Pop to pick either Devin or Brent. Ride with one of them. If Pop keeps playing both, they are both going to suck like they have for the last month.

Pop's like a guy who is trying to juggle two wives.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 02:12 AM
It's tough for a player like Devin to do anything when he doesn't know when/if he's going to play.

I don't buy that excuse for Devin, or for Brent. No matter if you are going to play five minutes or 20, you need to come in with the same intensity and focus. They don't. How can Pop pick which one to ride when neither one has shown themselves worthy?

timvp
03-03-2005, 02:14 AM
They are both continue to suck in this split minutes arrangement. Pop needs to pick one and roll. He knows that the difference is Barry is smarter and a better shooter while Devin plays more defense and can rebound better.

He can't have it both ways.

Nikos
03-03-2005, 02:20 AM
I say just go with Brent. I think there is more to gain if Barry pans out like he should. More experience, more reliable jump shot, and a well rounded game.

Devin proved he can give quality play in the playoffs in spot minutes if the perimeter guys are not getting it done. Why not ride with Barry until the end, and if he REALLY sucks in the playoffs just throw DB in like he did against LA last playoffs.

whottt
03-03-2005, 02:22 AM
You better re-watch it. Barry was horrible on D and he got his ass ripped for his passing.

I don't see how you can say that, Barry lead all bench players in minutes...we held the Raptors to 86 points on 36% shooting tonight...on top of that he picked up some tough defensive rebounds and he actually was agressive on help D.

That was our best defensive performance in a month.

It just seems like there's a different standard for Barry's D or something, and there has been all season.

Earlier in the season when he was logging 25 minutes a game we were on pace to win 70 games, and set single season records in PPG allowed, FG%, and opp assists per game...we were also blowing opponents out by a near record margin.

Then when he started getting pulled, our d was not as effective and then we started blowing leads and struggling on offense.

Then we again started trusting him and he's played big minutes in our two best comebacks of the season, against Phoenix and NJ...and he played Power Forward against NJ.

It just seems like everyone is determined to hate Barry if he doesn't play a perfect game and because he isn't shooting 40% from 3.

Perfect example...he had two TO's tonight...and everyone acts like he had the worst game in NBA history...well that's a good game for Devin...who has seemed to average about 3 TO's per night for the last two months.

And who has had costly turnovers in at least two of our losses. I cringe when he is on the floor in crunchtime.

Brent and Devin both suck right now. Funny thing is that I thought that it would be a dog fight for the backup swingman minutes because I thought both of them would bring invaluable stuff to the court. Now Pop is just begging one of them to step up and they both continually suck.

PLEASE one of them step up .. it's key.

The difference is....when Barry sucks it doesn't seem to effect the teams overall performance...Barry seems to be able to suck and play big minutes and it'll still be a 20 point blowout.

On top of that...he has hit big shots all season long. Big ones when we needed them.

Devin has had some good games but they are usually when the entire team is playing well, and there is something about him being on the court that makes our offense struggle...this is statistically verifiable in many ways.

Out of Bruce, Barry, and Bowen, Devin has the potential to be the best...he's got the most athleticism and he's the best scorer...so for that reason I have been in favor of giving him heavy minutes(including being in favor of starting him early in the season)...

But if push comes to shove and they both suck, and Pop has to choose...there's no argument on which guy the team performs better with getting big minutes...and that's Barry. The starts bear it out, as does our W-L record. And he's hit a lot more big shots this season than Devin as well.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 02:34 AM
No matter what the Raptors shot for the game, this wasn't an outstanding defensive performance by the Spurs -- particularly in the fourth quarter. The Raptors scored 50 points in the second half -- the Spurs can't be giving up 50 in a half to anyone. In the 4th quarter Toronto had 30 points on 60% shooting from the field, while outrebounding the Spurs 11-6.

I can tell you that Pop and most of the Spurs were very disappointed in their game tonight ... even defensively. The Spurs played good perimeter D for long stretches of the game, but this wasn't one of their best defensive performances, no matter how low the Raptors shot overall.

whottt
03-03-2005, 02:41 AM
Just to make the Devin/Barry thing even more complicated :)

I've noticed something about Barry...

He absolutely sucks as a spot up shooter. He sucks at it. There's no question about it. He is very much a transition 3 shooter. He has not hit a fucking wide open spot up 3 off a pass this entire season it seems.

When Barry gets time to set himself up for a three and no one is pressuring him...he over shoots that freaking shot every single time. It is strong every time. That's why he's been good under pressure when he rushes it and has sucked the rest of the time IMO.

While Devin....

Devin actually is a pretty good spot up shooter if he gets an open look...He doesn't hit threes with guys in his face or under defensive pressure very well...but when he gets that wide open shot and gets time to set his feet...he usually hits that shot, it's eerrily reminiscent of Jack.

And we know Devin's shot tends to be pretty good in the playoffs...while Barry may Hedo us..he's been good in the regular season under pressure...but who knows about the playoffs?

But I have no doubt the team performs better right now with Barry getting more minutes.

I just thought I'd muck up the controversy even more :)

whottt
03-03-2005, 02:50 AM
No matter what the Raptors shot for the game, this wasn't an outstanding defensive performance by the Spurs -- particularly in the fourth quarter.

Barry didn't get 1 second of PT in the 4th quarter did he? Devin was in for most of the 4th. The last time Barry was in the game we had a 14 point lead.

That's what I mean...the team performs better with Barry in there...you look at most our big blown leads and the common guy on the floor for all of them is Devin Brown.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Barry didn't get 1 second of PT in the 4th quarter did he? Last time he was in the game we had a 14 point lead.

No. I wasn't blaming the 4th quarter on Barry.

whottt
03-03-2005, 02:57 AM
FWIW I think tonights game is the perfect example of how Devin should get his big minutes...when we are blowing a team out.

But it's just weird, I don't know why it happens...it just seem like our offense is nervous when Devin is out there...it seems like we turn the ball over more...not just Devin but everyone, and that does hurt our D. While with Barry the offense seems smooth even if he isn't playing particularly well. His bad D or not we seem to not struggle as a team on D.

If we have to choose to tighten up the rotation..it's gotta be Barry....except for the fact that he could be the biggest playoff choker in NBA history for all we know :)

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 03:02 AM
Just a snippet from Ludden's recap...

The Raptors spread the floor, forcing the Spurs to stay out on their shooters.

"Our defense," Ginobili said, "is a little unbalanced against them at times."
Toronto made 29 free throws, matching the most by a Spurs' opponent. They picked up 19 points off Spurs' turnovers.

Popovich wants to make sure the sloppiness doesn't become too much of a trend. The Spurs lost to Memphis on Saturday because of 24 turnovers. Even after beating Cleveland on Monday on Duncan's buzzer-beater, they paused before running onto the court to congratulate him — almost as if they were surprised to have won.

"We were looking at each other tonight after the game," Ginobili said, "and it looked like we had lost by 15."

210born
03-03-2005, 10:40 AM
HAHAHA 95% of these post are ignorant and without merit. Sure DB had some bad games, who doesn't. When Tony started the season off playing like a bi#ch, were you saying he didnt belong in the nba no....Manu when he was turning the ball over every play... come on. DB is a legit nba player, if he wasn't popovich of all people wouldn't be playing him. Devin is a 2nd or 3rd yr player with some talent, but needs some work and thats it. Get off the guys back.

samikeyp
03-03-2005, 10:47 AM
you just know he's not an NBA player. He's here because he's from San Antonio and that's it.

Which explains why Denver signed him two years ago.

pjjrfan
03-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Devin wasn't in when TP turned it over 3 times in a row, but TP only got credit for two because the middle one didn't count cause it bounced back to him. And although the team went on a run, they keep blowing fast break opportunities, it wasn't Devin's fault when Beno made two costly to's to close out the 3rd which led to Raptor pts and a shift in momentum. What Devin has been doing is playing monster Defense, he didn't play that well last night, but his job on TMac and James the last week or so were outstanding. But yeah, it hurts to see him shoot up those bricks. I wish he would just pass it on, but the truth is the other guys will just pass it back to him and eventually he will have to shoot it.

BigVee
03-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Having played and coached I just have a fundamental problem with guys being afrain to screw up. It is the surest way to get a team to under perform. Pick Barry or pick Brown and let them play!! They can't be looking over their shoulder all the time for the hook every time the make a mistake. Contrary to what others might think I do not think you can come in for 5 minutes and play your normal game. It just doesn't work like that. It is time in the season to pick the players and rotation and get them ready. This team is sliding backwards. All the other teams know the Spur offense...know if they play zone the Spurs have problems. These areas need to be staightened out pronto.

Ishta
03-03-2005, 11:26 AM
HAHAHA 95% of these post are ignorant and without merit. Sure DB had some bad games, who doesn't. When Tony started the season off playing like a bi#ch, were you saying he didnt belong in the nba no....Manu when he was turning the ball over every play... come on. DB is a legit nba player, if he wasn't popovich of all people wouldn't be playing him. Devin is a 2nd or 3rd yr player with some talent, but needs some work and thats it. Get off the guys back.

I think this says it all...

bigzak25
03-03-2005, 11:28 AM
^^^^^

ditto.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 11:45 AM
So, if you have to pick one guy -- Devin or Brent -- who will get the bulk of the backup swingman minutes and the other guy will only get spot minutes throughout the playoffs, who would you pick? Why?

bigzak25
03-03-2005, 12:00 PM
i don't think even Pop knows the answer to that question yet kori.....

but with bruce and horry on D at the sf position, i think the outside shot is more important to our playoff success....who can/will hit them in the playoffs is anyones guess at this point....

ChumpDumper
03-03-2005, 12:05 PM
I'd roll with Barry for the ball movement. He'll get into foul trouble enough that Brown will get several chances anyway, and Devin has proven to have a better overall microwave factor.

boutons
03-03-2005, 12:17 PM
One of my continuous concerns, going back to Lakers collapser, is team jump-shooting (NOT having/needing a single "jump shooter").

Spurs shot 37 - 73 FGA-M, 5% above their avg, excellent!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=250302024

... shows only 10 FGs outside of the paint. And they shot, it appears, 10 - 18 jumpers, also excellent.

A great shooting night for the Spurs, in spite of Brent+Devin going 2 for 10.

BigVee
03-03-2005, 01:07 PM
So, if you have to pick one guy -- Devin or Brent -- who will get the bulk of the backup swingman minutes and the other guy will only get spot minutes throughout the playoffs, who would you pick? Why?
Tough question and why Pop can't seem to settle on one. DB gives you more defense, but Barry gives the offense a better flow. Since the Spurs are already strong defensively, for this year, I would stick with Barry and try to get the offense in high gear the last 25 games. It's a tough because I believe Brown will be a very good player in this league, but for now.....I mean the plan was to sign Barry and shore up the outside during the playoffs. Shouldn't we see if that plan works? Why abandon what everyone was excitied about in November?

spurster
03-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Given a choice, I think you have to give the major portion of minutes to Barry. Even if his shot still sucks by the playoffs, no team is going to give him open shots, so Barry will help spread the floor no matter what.

Que Gee
03-03-2005, 03:06 PM
\
You have to go with Barry because you know what....You look at his 10 years in the league and you go with his stats...over 40% from the 3pt line and the field...Now, if you want to dismiss that FINE!!! But for goddsakes no one in here can tell the TEAM plays better with Devin in the game. I for one can say that with Barry in the game...The ball moves better, people get better shots because his passing is 100% better than DB's...It makes the most sense for the TEAM.

ALVAREZ6
03-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Devin > Manu
Oh really, that's explains why Devin starts over Manu then...huh