PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone else okay with standing pat?

tim_duncan_fan
01-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Because I'm not and I'm not so confident that we can beat L.A. in a series, and should we even make past them, there is still a good chance we'll have to deal with Boston.

Cleveland and Orlando would eventually beat themselves against us but last year's finalists worry me.

But how are you guys feeling? Suppose we do nothing, are you confident we can win the 5th?

bigdog
01-29-2009, 01:48 AM
Sure, if Kurt Thomas, Oberto, Bonner magically transform into a legit big man.

By that, I mean NO. I think the Spurs have to do something. I think we're fine in the backcourt. The frontcourt is where the problems are at, and it's obvious. Duncan is all by himself out there. Bonner has been playing pretty good this season, but we need a solid big down low that can rebound and block some shots. Even if it's a D-league player or a low-cost option that was cut from another team, we need SOMEONE.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-29-2009, 02:25 AM
No, not comfortable with it, but I'm beginning to think that there may be no choice.

I am from the camp that considers the Big 3 untradeable (they have earned the right to play together as long as they like, which may well be 2012 if Manu re-signs for a reasonable contract in 2010... and besides, I love watching them!), I think we need Mason and Bowen (and no-one would trade for Bruce at this point anyway), and that leaves us very little to trade because we have no 1st rounder this year and few of our players are worth anything to anyone else.

It feels very much like late-January 2007 when many fans thought we needed to make a move, and instead Pop made his "this is what we're going with" speech and we blistered the league on the way to the title. Unfortunately, the Celts, Lakers and Cavs are A LOT better in 2009 than they were in '07. :pctoss

We may have to cross our fingers and hope for hot shooting and clutch prowess to win the day... :depressed

However, if there's one thing I know you NEVER WRITE OFF THE SPURS. Not only are they your team and mine, but they can pull off extraordinary feats!

If the D keeps improving as it has been lately, Manu and TP don't forget to penetrate, Tim continues to go straight into his moves without those terrible pregnant pauses, and the shooters knock em down, we can still beat anyone. :ihit

(PS Unfortunately, that's a lot of 'ifs'... :lol )

Cane
01-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Boston and LA are definitely on another tier above the league. However with half the season left who knows what can happen in terms of injuries/trades.

Providing all the postseason squads are healthy, anything can happen. The Celtics were nearly eliminated in the early playoff rounds --- regular season studs can turn into playoff duds (Dirk's MVP Season anyone?).

01-29-2009, 02:41 AM
bonner, thomas, and oberto will fuse together by the time of the playoffs. the spurs will call him makurt boberto.

mrspurs
01-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Dont think we can beat the Lakers if the POs started right now. And I can live with that. It wont be because we're not good enough. It will be because the Lakers are good enough.

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2009, 09:40 AM
imo...we are just 1 piece away from a contending team.....

a big imo....

Lakers999
01-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Dont think we can beat the Lakers if the POs started right now. And I can live with that. It wont be because we're not good enough. It will be because the Lakers are good enough.

:toast

m33p0
01-29-2009, 10:38 AM
other than the lakers, if feel the spurs can beat anybody with the current lineup.

Chomag
01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
other than the lakers, if feel the spurs can beat anybody with the current lineup.

I don't know... Spurs seem to really be having a hard time with a fully athletic teams like the 76ers.

In the playoffs though the only teams that I see spurs having bad match ups would be Lakers of course, and portland...maybe NO since we still don't seem to have anyone to match up well with West. (he kills us every game)

No true fan can not deny how much we are needing another bid in there to at least make the other team think twice before driving into the lane.

Man, I wish we could find a way to bring in Theo Ratliff here. He would be cheap, and is proven. Maybe he wouldn't be able to give us many minutes at this stage in his career but I think he would give us a good solid 20 - 25 solid minutes a game.

Agloco
01-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Because I'm not and I'm not so confident that we can beat L.A. in a series, and should we even make past them, there is still a good chance we'll have to deal with Boston.

Cleveland and Orlando would eventually beat themselves against us but last year's finalists worry me.

But how are you guys feeling? Suppose we do nothing, are you confident we can win the 5th?

Absolutely not. But with nothing but a bunch of roadkill on the bench and a pile of shit in hand (read: Splitters rights), we have nothing to offer anyone.

The Spurs have backed themselves into a corner and it's a hard one to get out of without considering a trade for one of the big three.

loveforthegame
01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I think we need a trade but the assets are limited. Not sure the Spurs can do anything though I'm sure they're trying.

xtremesteven33
01-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Does anyone remember how we were in the same position in 2007? How Spurs fans were scared of facing the Mavericks in 2007 knowing we couldnt beat them? Thats when Dallas had one of the best record in NBA history....then the unthinkable happened....

They got knocked out in the first round!! And the Spurs won the championship that year. Anything can happen folks. Lets let another team do our dirty work and take the Lakers out. We do not match up well with LA but some other teams do.....Houston,Portland and Phoenix.....

The_Game
01-29-2009, 12:47 PM

Spurs would lose to both the Cavs and the Magic in a 7 game series along with L.A and Boston as it stands now. Spurs badly need to make a move to be able to win the title.

z0sa
01-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Does anyone remember how we were in the same position in 2007? How Spurs fans were scared of facing the Mavericks in 2007 knowing we couldnt beat them? Thats when Dallas had one of the best record in NBA history....then the unthinkable happened....

They got knocked out in the first round!! And the Spurs won the championship that year. Anything can happen folks. Lets let another team do our dirty work and take the Lakers out. We do not match up well with LA but some other teams do.....Houston,Portland and Phoenix.....

But the Bobcats are in the East.

m33p0
01-29-2009, 12:56 PM
I'll go one step further, if we had a decent big we would be favored to win the title, not just contend.
i'll up the ante and say if tiago splitter was playing for the spurs this year, you can wrap up that trophy and send it to san antonio.
:lobt2:

PDXSpursFan
01-29-2009, 01:41 PM
If our FO doesn't get the $hit together and acquire a real center (starter-quality, 7-footer) we'll battle through the playoffs and most likely make it to the WCF only to be eliminated in 6 games by the Fakers. Book it.

Galileo
01-29-2009, 02:06 PM

The Spurs are not going to mess up their chemistry or salary cap position with some stupid acquisition in mid year. The Spurs are already good enough to win another ring this year.

Unless a super bargain falls into our lap, like Brand coming over for $5 million, the Spurs will go at is as is, like they usually do.

Manufan909
01-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Spurs would lose to both the Cavs and the Magic in a 7 game series along with L.A and Boston as it stands now. Spurs badly need to make a move to be able to win the title.

I'd give you LA and Boston? But the Cavs or Magic??? Maybe the Magic take it to 7, but not the Lebronshow.

Solid D
01-29-2009, 02:16 PM
http://www.boomerangshop.com/dvdcover/ImageWeb/ItsPatTheMovie199416856_f.jpg

I guess "it" is okay.

...but what does Pat have to do with the Spurs needing a big man.

The_Game
01-29-2009, 03:11 PM
I'd give you LA and Boston? But the Cavs or Magic??? Maybe the Magic take it to 7, but not the Lebronshow.

You are really overrating the spurs, why wouldn't cavs beat the spurs? they have the best player in the game, the best defense and better supporting cast.

cavs are a far better team spurs beat in 07..while spurs are clearly worse

Agloco
01-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Too many people around here aren't giving the Cavs enough credit. I'll bet most sentiment is based on the 2007 Finals drubbing we gave them.

Having said that, they aren't the same team is in 2007. Neither are the Spurs for that matter.

No quality big = no trophy. End of line.

ManuTP9
01-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Too many people around here aren't giving the Cavs enough credit. I'll bet most sentiment is based on the 2007 Finals drubbing we gave them.

Having said that, they aren't the same team is in 2007. Neither are the Spurs for that matter.

:toast

PDXSpursFan
01-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Why bother about the Celts, Cavs or Magic if we can't beat the Lakers and come out of the West with our current roster?

The_Game
01-29-2009, 04:34 PM

Yiu don't need a big quailty big, they have big Z and have something which is more important than a quailty big man

LEBRON JAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EricB
01-29-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm just curious who this mysterious big that's available is.

EJK5032
01-30-2009, 05:40 PM
yes, we're fine.......this is the most depth we've had in a while. Next.

PDXSpursFan
01-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Again, let's see if people understand it this way

Spurs2008 < Lakers2008 (lost WCF)

Spurs2009 > Spurs2008 (added Mason, Hill)

but,

Lakers2009 >> Laker2008 (added Bynum, Ariza)

so still,

Spurs2009 < Lakers2009

superbigtime
01-30-2009, 09:00 PM
I think Camby and less likely Brand are the "obtainable" premier bigs out there. But lesser guys are available. Like Chris Wilcox and Brad Miller.

Manufan909
01-30-2009, 09:39 PM
I think Manu just found it, plus what the hell do you consider Tony is?

underdawg
01-30-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm just curious who this mysterious big that's available is.

Will Perdue

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2009, 02:21 AM
I think Camby and less likely Brand are the "obtainable" premier bigs out there. But lesser guys are available. Like Chris Wilcox and Brad Miller.

i dunno why we need brad miller when we have bonner at a cheaper price and can do the same shit, even though his lacking in some departments.

wilcox or moore, i like, they can finish hard at the rim and reb, we dont need them to play top notch defense, just stand there ground and arms up is all you needed....duncan will cover up there weaknesses with the help defense.

slayermin
01-31-2009, 03:45 AM
This team can beat anyone in the league, if healthy. I think it's gonna come down to Bonner and Mason stepping up in the playoffs. If they can hit a high percentage of their open looks from three point land, we beat the Lakers.

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2009, 03:56 AM
wizards haywood and blatch, i wonder if the wizards are going to continue trimming down there payroll? dont they wanna trade jamison?

Chieflion
01-31-2009, 04:25 AM
wizards haywood and blatch, i wonder if the wizards are going to continue trimming down there payroll? dont they wanna trade jamison?

Haywood is their best defensive big when healthy, he is injured now. They are not going to trade Blatche. Jamison gives up at least as many points as he gets on the offensive end, overpaid undersized player at PF.

NFGIII
01-31-2009, 02:21 PM
i dunno why we need brad miller when we have bonner at a cheaper price and can do the same shit, even though his lacking in some departments.

Agreed. Possibly several years ago that might have been more desirable but not now. Bonner is doing what the teams needs from him though a few more rebounds would be most appreciated.

wilcox or moore, i like, they can finish hard at the rim and reb, we dont need them to play top notch defense, just stand there ground and arms up is all you needed....duncan will cover up there weaknesses with the help defense.

Good observation. The Spurs just need a defensive rebounder who can play decent D. Nothing specatular since that really isn't availble either.

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2009, 03:41 PM
I'd prefer a trade, but if we don't, then I'm fine..we need to improve the perimeter D first..the thing to look at is that we were 3rd in interior D last year with Oberto-Duncan..the key to our defense is clearly on the perimeter, where we need to stop penetration and rotate..something we haven't done as much as this year..it's the first key..

Ginobilly
01-31-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm certain that Manu, Tony, and Tim have one more tittle run left in them, but Tim is going to need help in the front court. If the Spurs are counting on Bonner to be able to produce and take them over the top, then they have already mailed the season in. Hopefully RC and POP are working the phones to bring somebody in, because if not, the only way the Spurs would be able to win the championship is in NBA 2k9.

Agloco
01-31-2009, 05:05 PM
I think Manu just found it, plus what the hell do you consider Tony is?

Found what exactly?

I'm thinking you don't find anything of value playing against a weak defense like Phoenix. Lets see how he does on the road trip before we start pulling his drawers down......:blah