PDA

View Full Version : Toros Add Mensah-Bonsu

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 03:42 AM
AUSTIN, TX (January 28, 2009) - The Toros announced today the addition of Pops Mensah-Bonsu to the roster. London born, Mensah-Bonsu is a 6-10, 240 pound forward/center who spent his collegiate years at George Washington University. He was second team all-conference in 2004-05, and first team all-conference in 2005-2006.

Mensah-Bonsu signed with the Dallas Mavericks in 2006 and was assigned to the Fort Worth Flyers, the NBA D-League affiliate. He played in the inaugural D-League All-Star game and was named MVP, with 30 points and seven rebounds. Mensah-Bonsu played in Italy during the 2007-08 season with team Benetton Treviso, averaging 8.3 points and 9.2 rebounds

Mensah-Bonsu is the latest of several roster changes for the Toros following the departure of forwards, Andre Brown and Charles Gaines. The Toros added guard Nate Brown (St. Peter's) late last week. In his second game with the Toros, Brown posted two points, four assists, and two steals in 12 minutes against the Albuquerque Thunderbirds.

Mensah-Bonsu will join the Toros for back to back games in Tulsa this Friday and Saturday. He will wear jersey #44.

For season and group ticket information, call the Toros office at (512)236-8333 or visit austintoros.com.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3770351

Great news for the Toros, and it will be nice for the Spurs to be able to see what he can do in their system.

kcplayboi_26
01-29-2009, 03:45 AM
i like pops game, nice pick up for u guys

Manufan909
01-29-2009, 04:38 AM
So what type of player is this Mensa-Bonsu? I hope he is an athletic shot blocker. Looks like decent numbers from when he was in Italy, but that could be a crappy league.

What do you think of him Chump, or are you planning on with-holding judgement til he's played 10 or so games with the Toros?

Damn, it's sad I get excited on any chance of an athletic big, even if I have no info whatsoever.

EDIT: Fuck, he's an inch shorter AND 20 lbs lighter than Timmy. But I'm going to assume his vert is at least half a foot higher, so it's all good. Hope he's a banger and Pop takes notice.

Here is a draftexpress article on him. It says he might be explosive, and decent on blocking and rebounding, but he has no real fundamentals, and he's still learning to box out. Since he's so thin, they mention pretty much any decent big in the NBA will push him around on the post. And someone needs to explain the stat lines to me, cuz this season in Euro he shot 38% from the field, but in the ACB he shot 68%. I'm assuming the talent level in Euro is much higher.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Pops-Mensah-Bonsu-304/

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 04:56 AM
He's a very nice athlete and can block the occasional shot. He was on the Mavs a couple of years back and they assigned him to the D-League where he dominated their all-star game. He was very raw then, so it will be interesting to see what he can do now.

Manufan909
01-29-2009, 04:59 AM
He's a very nice athlete and can block the occasional shot. He was on the Mavs a couple of years back and they assigned him to the D-League where he dominated their all-star game. He was very raw then, so it will be interesting to see what he can do now.

Indeed. Keep us updated, Chump!!!

And where is KBP when you need him.:lol

Damn, it is hard to find some solid stuff on this guy. I knew he averaged 12 and 10 last year in 6 games with the British, but that's it. I wish he was taller(half of the people say he's 6-9, others 6-10). Either way, it sounds like he could become the shot-blocker. But unless he has an extraordinary learning ability and Pop drops someone(since he can't trade a player to the Toros). Sounds like a nice player for next year. Hope this big pans out, RC has had zero luck lately.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 05:08 AM
Unfortunately the Toros are on the road for about a month, so I'll have to watch on the internets like anyone else.

Manufan909
01-29-2009, 05:16 AM
How many games before they're back? And IIRC, they use mostly Spurs plays, so he'd at least know that if he was called up?

He sounds great for next year, but not someone who could really help Tim in the post, unless he gained some post moves last year. They'd just need him to go nuts if Tim is doubled, so teams like the Lakers would have to worry about him drawing fouls. It's not like KT, Bonner, or Fab will do that. At least we know next years roster will rock.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 05:22 AM
They'll be back February 22. I might sneak down to McAllen to watch them there if I can get the right seats.

You're right about the plays. He's been knocking around the states since the season began, so it's possible if not likely that he had been waiting around for the right time to join the D-League. With Charles Gaines and Andre Brown gone, this looks like a perfect opportunity for him to show the Spurs and the rest of the NBA what he can do.

mogrovejo
01-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Pops has a shoulder injury. He should have surgery and don't play till the rest of the season.

mogrovejo
01-29-2009, 06:31 AM
And someone needs to explain the stat lines to me, cuz this season in Euro he shot 38% from the field, but in the ACB he shot 68%. I'm assuming the talent level in Euro is much higher.

Not really. It's just due to the sample size, way too small.

SlovenianGuy
01-29-2009, 06:33 AM
So what type of player is this Mensa-Bonsu? I hope he is an athletic shot blocker. Looks like decent numbers from when he was in Italy, but that could be a crappy league.

What do you think of him Chump, or are you planning on with-holding judgement til he's played 10 or so games with the Toros?

Damn, it's sad I get excited on any chance of an athletic big, even if I have no info whatsoever.

EDIT: Fuck, he's an inch shorter AND 20 lbs lighter than Timmy. But I'm going to assume his vert is at least half a foot higher, so it's all good. Hope he's a banger and Pop takes notice.

Here is a draftexpress article on him. It says he might be explosive, and decent on blocking and rebounding, but he has no real fundamentals, and he's still learning to box out. Since he's so thin, they mention pretty much any decent big in the NBA will push him around on the post. And someone needs to explain the stat lines to me, cuz this season in Euro he shot 38% from the field, but in the ACB he shot 68%. I'm assuming the talent level in Euro is much higher.

This season he played for Joventut (Spain). In Euroleague he only played two games because of an injury. That's probably the reason for his low shooting percentage.

Nevertheless, he managed to average 18.5 PPG and 11.5 RPG in only 27 minutes.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Pops started the season with DKV and a 850,000 (euro) contract
Pops then had a shoulder injury...but dkv and pops had a difference of opinion in how to treat the injury so they broke the contract

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-29-2009, 07:10 AM

my ranking of euro leagues (but of course everyone has an opinion)
1. spain
2. greece
3. russia
4. Italy

In my opinion, Italy is def better than some other Euro leagues such as Germany, France, Turkey, and Israel

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 07:11 AM
2. greeceIs lies!

DANILO DRASKOVIC
01-29-2009, 07:23 AM
And someone needs to explain the stat lines to me, cuz this season in Euro he shot 38% from the field, but in the ACB he shot 68%. I'm assuming the talent level in Euro is much higher.

not neccesarly because the ACB is the best league in Europe and his two Euroleage games were against Union Olimpija (slovenia) and Lottomatica Roma. Union sucks (they went 2-8) and Roma is ok (they went 6-4)

but in the end, really cant get much info from only 7 games early in the season...

CubanMustGo
01-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Dang, the Toros go on a RRT just like the Spurs ... starting with a B2B against Tulsa tomorrow and Saturday up there. Feb-Mar are really brutal, 4 home games and 15 road ... March is 9 away, 1 home, making up for the early favorable schedule. It'll be interesting to see where they are in the standings come Apr 1.

Penya
01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
He dunks... So Pop won't love him :lol

Rogue
01-29-2009, 10:07 AM
He dunks... So Pop won't love him :lol
he sucks and so do you. I love international fans, especially those from Spain that is home to my ancestors. It was just a joke, my brother, never mind. genuinely I think the spanish people are the most kind-hearted and passionate of the world.

Yo se my feliz que Vd es aqui, espana se bueno.

SenorSpur
01-29-2009, 11:01 AM
I saw him periodically when he was 15th man on the Mavs roster. Very, very athletic, but very, very raw. At that time, he appeared as though he had a long way to go before being able to play at the NBA level. He's got no shortage of heart, determination and athleticism. I hope he's progressed some over the past couple of seasons. I do like the move though.

loveforthegame
01-29-2009, 11:17 AM
I like this move. I remember watching him with Dallas. He's ridiculously athletic and likes to rebound. I don't remember him being a shot blocking threat but he was good at altering shots.

urunobili
01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
He could end up being the big we needed... smart move by the Spurs.... I'd pay to see him go crazy on Damp...

sribb43
01-29-2009, 11:27 AM
He is Brandon Bass minus the jumpshot and post moves...so basically he can just dunk.

benefactor
01-29-2009, 11:38 AM
I saw him periodically when he was 15th man on the Mavs roster. Very, very athletic, but very, very raw. At that time, he appeared as though he had a long way to go before being able to play at the NBA level. He's go no shortage of heart, determination and athleticism. I hope he's progressed some over the past couple of seasons. I do like the move though.
This is pretty much what I remember from him. I liked his energy and thought he had potential if he worked on his game. He is definitely worth checking out to see how far he has come.

ginobilized
01-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Limit of one Pop or Pops per team.....new NBA rule

timvp
01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Nice signing :tu

If Mensah-Bonsu has become less raw and more of a basketball player, he'd fit on the Spurs pretty nicely. He's a very good athlete with a good motor. Not highly skilled the last time I saw him play but hopefully he has improved.

I was hoping the Spurs would give him a ten-day contract so this is actually an even better move.

mogrovejo
01-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Pops started the season with DKV and a 850,000 (euro) contract
Pops then had a shoulder injury...but dkv and pops had a difference of opinion in how to treat the injury so they broke the contract

No.

Pops and Pops agent had a different opinion than the medical doctors about how to treat the injury. He went to the US for 2 weeks to consult with some crazy chiropractor and then came back saying he was "cured" when he obviously wasn't. Why do you think he didn't get a contract to play for another European club?

He must have surgery - even risking something goes wrong. If not, he'll be playing in pain, with a chronic injury and constantly having to stop for the rest of his career.

mogrovejo
01-29-2009, 12:58 PM

If Mensah-Bonsu has become less raw and more of a basketball player, he'd fit on the Spurs pretty nicely. He's a very good athlete with a good motor. Not highly skilled the last time I saw him play but hopefully he has improved.

I was hoping the Spurs would give him a ten-day contract so this is actually an even better move.

Yeah, he's somewhat more polished, although his game is still heavily reliant on his athleticism. But he don't drag defenders to the ball anymore, doesn't cross his legs sliding, doesn't go for blocks with the wrong hand, etc. But the guy is a serious injury waiting to happen.

Anyway, I predict that he'll replace Courtney Simms on the wet dreams of NBA fans who believe D-League stats are meaningful.

Biggems
01-29-2009, 01:01 PM
what happened to Brown and Gaines?

urunobili
01-29-2009, 01:07 PM
what happened to Brown and Gaines?

Both signed in Europe...

loveforthegame
01-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Would the Toros sign him if he had an injury that required surgery? Seems odd.

Spurs Brazil
01-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Good sign.
I remember he put good number when the Mavs send him to D-League

mrspurs
01-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Another 10 day contract?lol

Penya
01-29-2009, 01:47 PM
An interesting face-to-face happened last year in Granada. That team signed Pops just for a game (the last one of the season), because they had to win so as to stay in the first division.
That game was against TAU (Splitter!)... http://www.acb.com/fichas/LACB52306.php

I watched that game... Amazing appearance by Pops.

jag
01-29-2009, 01:56 PM
8m10ciSyQKM
ljGHenADBDc

The guy can throw down...i'll give him that.

benefactor
01-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Another 10 day contract?lol
No, he is just with Toros right now. Learn to read.

Manufan909
01-29-2009, 01:59 PM

How is it even better, no one else can touch him on th Toros?

And thanks to all those who brought me up to speed on the leagues in Europe, and what the stats meant. If ACB is truly the best over there, it's a good sign he did so well.

wildbill2u
01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Thin and raw skill level? Are we seeing the arrival of Ian the 2nd?

Manufan909
01-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Except for the freak injuries. As long as no one mentions the s word, there's no way he'll dissapoint.

Austin_Toros
01-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Both signed in Europe...
sellouts. lol

well, let's just say for argument's sake that he plays a handful of games with the spurs (highly unlikely). in that case Pops would have achieved as much if not equally as much as Mahinmi has for san ant.

underdawg
01-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Pops looks healthy - where's Hairston?

underdawg
01-30-2009, 08:36 PM
According to the commentator, Hairston's probably been called up to the Spurs

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Squeaky Johnson is also out; the site says he has been waived due to injury. Fortunately Nate Brown looks fairly comfortable running the team since he joined and we just picked up Jason Parker (who I think played in Italy awhile) to back him up.

Pops is dominating inside as he should since Tulsa's best men are out. He's repeatedly dunking with no apparent problem with the shoulder. I'm more impressed that he's running the floor very well.

The feed from Tulsa is great.

underdawg
01-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Toros look pretty good - I haven't seen Dawson play before. He doesn't seem that bad -athletic with decent ups. Tulsa's not a very good team?

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Tulsa isn't very good and they have some injuries to key players, so the Toros are lucky they're on the schedule during all this roster churn.

Dawson had an arm injury that kept him out most of last season. He plays well when he gets enough PT. The Toros have been loaded up front until recently (Andre Brown and Charles Gaines left to play overseas; Mo Abukar is injured). He has a better jumper than I expected.

underdawg
01-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Tulsa isn't very good and they have some injuries to key players, so the Toros are lucky they're on the schedule during all this roster churn.

Dawson had an arm injury that kept him out most of last season. He plays well when he gets enough PT. He has a better jumper than I expected.

Seems to be decent passer from the top of the key too

Manufan909
01-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Squeaky Johnson is also out; the site says he has been waived due to injury. Fortunately Nate Brown looks fairly comfortable running the team since he joined and we just picked up Jason Parker (who I think played in Italy awhile) to back him up.

Pops is dominating inside as he should since Tulsa's best men are out. He's repeatedly dunking with no apparent problem with the shoulder. I'm more impressed that he's running the floor very well.

The feed from Tulsa is great.

I can't wait for your review of his game. I have faith he can fit the athletic/shot blocker/rebounder part, but manning up on D, especially against any big on the Lakers, Utah, Houston, Suns, I just don't see. Hope he gains weight for next season.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I can't wait for your review of his game. I have faith he can fit the athletic/shot blocker/rebounder part, but manning up on D, especially against any big on the Lakers, Utah, Houston, Suns, I just don't see. Hope he gains weight for next season.You can watch it yourself.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/webcastDleague.html

Free registration required.

Manufan909
01-30-2009, 09:05 PM
I agree about Lamar, but idk about Gasol, thankfully we have Gasol's pimp in Fabricio.:hat

Manufan909
01-30-2009, 09:06 PM
You can watch it yourself.

Free registration required.

Thanks, dude. He needs to dunk again, all I've seen are FTs from 2 hacks.

Manufan909
01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
And now he's out for foul trouble, fuck me.

underdawg
01-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Chump - you've seen Dawson play in person? Does he look 235lbs?

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 09:15 PM
At the half, Pops is 6-10 from the field and 4-4 from the line -- 16 points and 5 boards. Beating the smaller 66ers up the floor repeatedly. Shot looked good out to 15 feet. A little lost on D, but that is to be expected the first game.

I'm most excited by the running so far. The pressure it's putting on Tulsa reminds me of what Elson used to do for the Spurs.

Bartleby
01-30-2009, 09:17 PM
I think he could be a good matchup for Gasol or Lamar.

or David West, but it's doubtful he would get much of a chance this late in the season even if the Spurs called him up. Still, he seems like a good prospect.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Chump - you've seen Dawson play in person? Does he look 235lbs?Probably a little less. He's not huge, but he's not a stick figure either. I talked with him briefly at a store a couple of nights ago. Pretty soft spoken.

Manufan909
01-30-2009, 09:27 PM
The D-League uses all the same rules as the NBA, correct?

Manufan909
01-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I dont think its too late, remember Bonner is our starting Center with his back up being 110 yr old KT. Im not saying he will play huge mins but I can see him being an upgrade on D and rebounding over Bonner.

He better be equal to Bonner on O, he should get alot of easy dunks off Tim.

underdawg
01-30-2009, 09:38 PM
He better be equal to Bonner on O, he should get alot of easy dunks off Tim.

It's more important on what he (or someone else) might be able to bring on D - which is length. I like what "110 yr old" KT has brought on D recently, but there have been times this season where our bigs (not TD) have looked short. I don't think it's the height of the players as much as their length - look at what Boston did last year - granted no Bynum, but Gasol was a monster in the playoffs until Boston.

Manufan909
01-30-2009, 09:41 PM
I wonder what Pops standing reach is then. Not saying he'll get any minutes this season, but I'm just curious. I know he's athletic, but he's not taller than anyone on the Spurs, and lighter than all the bigs.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 09:45 PM
The D-League uses all the same rules as the NBA, correct?I'm pretty sure that's the case this season. There used to be some minor differences.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 09:50 PM
I wonder what Pops standing reach is then. Not saying he'll get any minutes this season, but I'm just curious. I know he's athletic, but he's not taller than anyone on the Spurs, and lighter than all the bigs.His standing reach is actually the same as Bonner's, the difference being Pops can jump six inches higher than Matt

underdawg
01-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Haven't seen a lot of Toros games, but Nate Brown looks like a big improvement over Squeaky.

Manufan909
01-30-2009, 09:55 PM
His standing reach is actually the same as Bonner's, the difference being Pops can jump six inches higher than Matt

Only 6"? Bonner has more hops than I thought.:lol I would've guessed 9".:p:

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Haven't seen a lot of Toros games, but Nate Brown looks like a big improvement over Squeaky.Squeaky had been playing all around solid ball this season. We would have been lost without him. That said, we'd be lost tonight without Nate. He's the first guy this season besides Squeaky and Ahearn who looked comfortable running the point. We'll see if his shooting gets any better in the future; that part of his game is nowhere near Squeaky's yet.

benefactor
01-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Hairston DNP...call up forthcoming?

benefactor
01-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Solid first outing for Pops. 23pts, 13reb(7 offensive), 9-16 FG, 5-6 FT.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Box score. (http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800177)

Good numbers from Pops, but I'm not going to make too much of them since Tulsa is hurting so badly for big men right now. Wednesday's game against Colorado will be a much better barometer of what Pops can do against tougher competition. Still, these games are a great opportunity to get used to his teammates (he and Dawson looked pretty good together) and he did well enough tonight to keep paying attention. Very athletic.

timvp
01-30-2009, 10:34 PM
I watched the last nine minutes. Pops looked pretty good. His defense was pretty lazy (outside of that highlight reel block :smokin) but he looked tired overall, which is to expected playing big minutes after a layoff. Offensively, Tulsa didn't even look like they were interested in playing defense in the paint. They just gave up and start running the other way. But he had a couple of nice finishes down low.

Signing Pops to a ten-day contract at some point after he's acclimated to the system makes a lot of sense.

exstatic
01-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Hairston DNP...call up forthcoming?

Ian was called up for the RRT last year, IIRC. :smokin

ChumpDumper
01-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Two very nice blocks and two stupid fouls so far in game twowith six left in the first half. Got a tech after the second one.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2009, 09:14 PM
At the half:

12 pts
6-9 FG
0-1 FT
4 REB 3 OFF
2 AST
2 TO
2 ST
3 PF
2 BLK

Not too impressed with his man D, but he's getting the kind of defensive attention and double teams Ian did last season. Jumps like a kangaroo.

Bruno
01-31-2009, 09:16 PM
From what you see, do you think he could be worth a try with a 10 days contract?

ChumpDumper
01-31-2009, 09:24 PM
There's no doubt he is an NBA level athlete, but like I said I'll reserve judgment a bit until Wednesday when he has better competition. So far, so good though.

He just picked up his fourth foul, all of them were pretty stupid ones.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2009, 09:33 PM
He's not completely in game shape, but I see nothing that suggests any injury. He certainly isn't afraid to dunk.

loveforthegame
01-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Toros win tonight 102-88.

Pops line:

32 minutes
10-15 fg
0-0 3pt fg
5-9 ft
25 pts
7 rbs
3 as
5 pfs
3 stls
4 to's
3 blks

Manufan909
02-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I watched the last nine minutes. Pops looked pretty good. His defense was pretty lazy (outside of that highlight reel block :smokin) but he looked tired overall, which is to expected playing big minutes after a layoff. Offensively, Tulsa didn't even look like they were interested in playing defense in the paint. They just gave up and start running the other way. But he had a couple of nice finishes down low.

Signing Pops to a ten-day contract at some point after he's acclimated to the system makes a lot of sense.

Sounds like he's had 2 impressive games, especially with coming off an injury and not having played in a while(how long was it since his last game in europe, anyways?). What's the deadline for 10-day contracts to be signed?

EricB
02-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm a tad concerned about the fouling and the unimpressive D...

Bartleby
02-01-2009, 01:53 PM
3 steals and 3 blocks to go with those 5 fouls . . . doesn't look bad to me.

benefactor
02-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm a tad concerned about the fouling and the unimpressive D...
Its two games man...and he did have 3 blocked shots

Let's everyone be realistic here. He is going to be the last big off the bench. He is not going to be Timmy...or even KT for that matter. All we need is him to grab some boards, not get abused on defense and throw it down when he open off a double team.

Manufan909
02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Its two games man...and he did have 3 blocked shots

Let's everyone be realistic here. He is going to be the last big off the bench. He is not going to be Timmy...or even KT for that matter. All we need is him to grab some boards, not get abused on defense and throw it down when he open off a double team.

He's the new Ian!!! I just wish he weighed as much.

exstatic
02-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I think people are reading WAY too much into this. My thoughts are that this is strictly a Toros move, and has nothing to do with the big club at all. Austin lost a couple of bigs to Europe, and they needed a big body to put on the floor. That's all.

Manufan909
02-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I think people are reading WAY too much into this. My thoughts are that this is strictly a Toros move, and has nothing to do with the big club at all. Austin lost a couple of bigs to Europe, and they needed a big body to put on the floor. That's all.

Sorry, if you have athletic, dunks, big, and blocks in the same paragraph about the same player, we swarm like frogs on Egyptians, or flies on lights, take your pic.:downspin:

ChumpDumper
02-01-2009, 05:49 PM
I think people are reading WAY too much into this. My thoughts are that this is strictly a Toros move, and has nothing to do with the big club at all. Austin lost a couple of bigs to Europe, and they needed a big body to put on the floor. That's all.Well, I take into consideration the fact that Pops had been in the states for at least several weeks already and his was one of a flurry of signings in the D-League that week. The Toros made a mockery of the signing rules last season, and those rules were changed to the extent that the only thing Demps can really do is have a potential signee hold out until the Toros are at the top of the allocation list.

Now does this mean he's a lock for a call up to the Spurs. No, but given Demps' jobs on both teams, it's not too far out to think this might be an extended, paid workout for Pops.

Manufan909
02-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Hope he can have a long string of productive games, and dial down the fouls. Then maybe Pop will take notice.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Not really. It's just due to the sample size, way too small.

They don't play defense in ACB.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-01-2009, 06:27 PM
How is it even better, no one else can touch him on th Toros?

And thanks to al those who brought me up to speed on the leagues in Europe, and what the stats meant. If ACB is truy the best over there, it's a good sign he did so well.

It is not the best. Euroleague is much better. Spain and Greece is good leagues and pretty close to each other but they are far from level of Euroleague.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
02-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Pops could just be using the D League to show Euro teams his shoulder is ok and is trying to get a new contract overseas
Although, I think it is too late for him to help a Euroleague team he could be useful to help teams avoid being regulated

boutons_
02-01-2009, 07:31 PM
"Not highly skilled" sorta like ..... Rodman, but more coordinated? :lol

ChumpDumper
02-02-2009, 04:31 PM
For those who are interested, Pops' first two games as a Toro are in the archive:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/webcast_archive_0708.html

benefactor
02-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up Chump. I'll check them out this evening or tomorrow.

ace3g
02-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Pops had 31 points on Wednesday as the Toros lost to the 14ers

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020800193
link to boxscore

ChumpDumper
02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
He had a nice game offensively. He was being fed in the post just like Ian last season. The 14ers were trying to single cover him most of the game and he got his main defender in foul trouble and ejected. Defensively it took him a long time to get the hang of defending Josh Davis on the perimeter as Davis' 3pt shooting shows. He at least improved as the game went on and ended up blocking one of his three point attempts. He got into foul trouble again, but he also stayed in the game a long time with five fouls, drawing two charges after getting the fifth.

He almost had a SportsCenter highlight last second three pointer off an offensive rebound to win the game. Overall it was a good test for Pops, and it looks like he can adjust and not lose his cool during the course of a game. Worth developing and keeping an eye on.

lefty
02-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Pop and Pop :makeout

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Toros are playing the Vipers now if anyone is interested.

Injury bug has bitten them again -- they started out with a tall ball lineup with three power forwards, Marcus Williams and a point guard.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-08-2009, 06:22 PM
:tu Thanks.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Ezra Williams and Squeaky Johnson in street clothes. Both were playing very well before their injuries -- especially Ezra as a starter. Add Hairston's call up and perimeter scoring has really taken a hit.

Interrohater
02-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Toros are playing the Vipers now if anyone is interested.

Injury bug has bitten them again -- they started out with a tall ball lineup with three power forwards, Marcus Williams and a point guard.

Thanks!

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Damn, now Jason Parker goes down with a knee injury.

Ridiculous.

We're down playing white guys now.

EricB
02-08-2009, 07:06 PM
What happened to Mensah?

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 07:09 PM
What happened to Mensah?He's playing pretty well. Dunking all over the place. There are some really athletic big men playing today -- Pops, Dawson, Angounou, Kurt Looby, Marcus Hubbard, Kendall Dartez -- fun to watch in that respect.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Pops has 16 pts 7 reb in the first half on 5-5 shooting from the floor. 6-9 from the line.

SpursFan0728
02-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Pops has 16 pts 7 reb in the first half on 5-5 shooting from the floor. 6-9 from the line.

Sounds like that Pops is beast-ing in Toros

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 07:43 PM
The three PF lineup is probably the best defensive one this season. Halfcourt O is pretty ragged, but they are getting points from offensive rebounds and fastbreaks.

Eric Dawson is having a great game. He's a blocking machine tonight.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Vipers went on a 16-0 run to bring it down to a three point game. Using the press and mismatches to get back in the game.

ace3g
02-08-2009, 08:05 PM
yeah I've been watching the game since halftime, what a turnaround by the vipers

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
They have decent depth, whereas the Toros bench is currently one power forward. Very good coaching by Clay Moser though.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Pops just got his sixth block -- all of them came in the second half.

Exciting game.

ace3g
02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
yeah Pop had that huge block, where the Vipers could have take the lead I think with about 20 secs to go

ace3g
02-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm hoping the Spurs are watching Pops and seeing his rebounding and shot blocking ability; and not just using Pops on the roster because the Toros lost their other PF

ace3g
02-08-2009, 08:38 PM
whats funny, is the last couple of games, Pops has been shooting the teams free throws late in the game

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-08-2009, 08:41 PM
This hasn't been the year I've viewed the Toros the most, so I'm still quite undecided on my view of Mensah-Bonsu.
Does it look like he could be called up soon? By the Spurs?

ace3g
02-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Pops ended the game with: 22 points on 6-9 fg, 10-15 ft, 18 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, 6 blocks, and 5 fouls

he likes to get 5 fouls, had that amount in each of his games with the Toros

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Props to our new token white guy Ryan Bright from Sam Houston State. He got two big blocks and hit a key three after just joining the team.

ace3g
02-08-2009, 08:46 PM
This hasn't been the year I've viewed the Toros the most, so I'm still quite undecided on my view of Mensah-Bonsu.
Does it look like he could be called up soon? By the Spurs?

I'm not sure because of the Toros other starting bigmen going overseas, if they were still here and the Toros called up Pops then I would more likely think the Spurs were going to give him a chance,

but it could also just be a roster move to fill the Toros lack of PF/C

I am hoping though, that the Spurs will give Pops a 10 day contract soon

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Pops had been in the states for awhile after leaving Europe. I think his entry into the D-League was deliberately coordinated with the Toros' being at the top of the acquisition list. It was probably independent of the other Toros big men's leaving. It's no sure sign the Spurs are going to call him up, but you can bet RC and Dell are watching. They are really using him they way they did Ian last year, so that might be something.

If the Spurs don't sign him to a 10 day, some other team is almost sure to soon.

timvp
02-08-2009, 09:08 PM
I caught a few minutes of the game. The only explanation for why the Spurs wouldn't sign him to a 10-day contract is if they are thinking they may use that extra roster spot in a trade. Otherwise, the Spurs need a bigman and Pops is probably the best attainable bigman on the free agent market. Plus his skillset is very close to what the Spurs need.

wildbill2u
02-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Chump:

Does Pops look stronger than Ian, less breakable?

You mentioned Marcus Williams. How is he progressing?

benefactor
02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I agree that we probably need to move on Pops soon. It wouldn't be surprising to see us sign him during the ASB. The Toros don't play again until the 16th and the Spurs will be back in town on the evening of the 11th and won't play again until the 17th. If the Spurs feel like other teams are going to show interest they could go ahead and sign him and he could join us for the game in NY.

timvp
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree that we probably need to move on Pops soon. It wouldn't be surprising to see us sign him during the ASB. The Toros don't play again until the 16th and the Spurs will be back in town on the evening of the 11th and won't play again until the 17th. If the Spurs feel like other teams are going to show interest they could go ahead and sign him and he could join us for the game in NY.Yeah, if the Spurs are going to sign Pops, it's going to be on the 17th. A ten-day contract at that point would allow him to play six games.

However, if they are going to wait until the 17th, they might as well wait until the 19th to see if any trades formulate. If a roster spot is still available on the 20th, then at that point it's a no-brainer to give him a look.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Chump:

Does Pops look stronger than Ian, less breakable?A bit stronger (especially lower body) and less breakable, also less skilled.

You mentioned Marcus Williams. How is he progressing?He's still stuck in tweener land as far as NBA potential is concerned. If he could add either weight or footspeed or dribbling handles, it would be much easier for a team to sign him. The guard shortage is making him play a bit more minutes and roles than he should, but overall he is one of the best players in the D-League. Tonight he came close to a triple double, but had a lot of turnovers due do charges and pressure from multiple smaller defenders.

timvp
02-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Mahinmi and Pops are similar but not overly so. Mahinmi has a taller and wider frame, although his legs are skinnier. Pops, on the other hand, may even be undersized to play PF in the NBA. Mahinmi is big enough to play center.

Pops is more of a hustle/athlete big. Mahinmi has turned out to be more of a skill big. They may be similar athletes but Pops is better at using his athleticism, whereas Mahinmi is still a bit clumsy.

Mahinmi has the better long term potential because he has actual skills but Pops could help out in terms of adding a lively body to the front line. In that sense, Pops is like a more athletic version of Tolliver minus the potential three-point stroke.

ChumpDumper
02-08-2009, 10:14 PM
If the Spurs are looking for a traditional defensive center, I'd work out Dwayne Jones -- but I think Pops could play an Elson-like role out of the box. I think he would be great for the Spurs' transition game.

underdawg
02-08-2009, 10:49 PM
If the Spurs are looking for a traditional defensive center, I'd work out Dwayne Jones -- but I think Pops could play an Elson-like role out of the box. I think he would be great for the Spurs' transition game.

Have you seen a lot of Chris Hunter - Ft. Wayne? Is on assignment or is he available?

timvp
02-08-2009, 11:00 PM
I like Dwayne Jones. Can't score in an empty gym but he can rebound and defend very well. Gotta be the best rebounder on the market.

Manufan909
02-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Hey Chump, do you think because of his size Mensa would be easy to score on low, or would he use his agility and speed to his advantage?

Manufan909
02-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Props to our new token white guy Ryan Bright from Sam Houston State. He got two big blocks and hit a key three after just joining the team.

Whoo, I'm going to Sam right now!!!!!!!!

And do you think he could possibly be a long 3? I'm asking based on the assumption of timvp that he would be undersized for a PF. From what I've heard, he should have enough athleticism and speed. But I'd rather he take KT/Bonner/Fab minutes than Hairstons, since I know Pop wouldn't do anything radical like take some of Fins minutes to give to a player that would possibly represent the future of the Spurs.:(

ChumpDumper
02-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Have you seen a lot of Chris Hunter - Ft. Wayne? Is on assignment or is he available?I haven't seen a lot of him. From what I have seen he has a good shooting touch but isn't as consistently dominant on offense or defense as I would want him to be. I would definitely include him in any big man workout series.

Hey Chump, do you think because of his size Mensa would be easy to score on low, or would he use his agility and speed to his advantage?He's pretty light by NBA standards, so he might get pushed around by bigger players. There aren't too many players that size in the D-League, so it's tough to get a read. If he's not called up in the next week, he'll probably be matched up Monday against Marcus Campbell who is a real behemoth. The only other game against a big frontline left on the schedule would be Reno (Antonio Meeking and Jesse Smith).

Really the only other player I might consider for an athletic PF call up at this point would be Pat Ewing Jr. He's got more range and has been a microwave off the bench for Reno.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Whoo, I'm going to Sam right now!!!!!!!!

And do you think he could possibly be a long 3? I'm asking based on the assumption of timvp that he would be undersized for a PF. From what I've heard, he should have enough athleticism and speed. But I'd rather he take KT/Bonner/Fab minutes than Hairstons, since I know Pop wouldn't do anything radical like take some of Fins minutes to give to a player that would possibly represent the future of the Spurs.:(I can't see Pops playing anything but the 4. His shot isn't reliable past 10 feet and he doesn't have great handles. It's also difficult to get him to defend outside the paint, although he seemed to be getting the hang of it against Josh Davis. Davis isn't a speed demon though, so it wasn't like guarding an actual NBA SF.

Manufan909
02-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Ok, thanks for the answers. I'm torn between him getting 10-15 min at the 4 this season, and Fab getting back into the rotation. In my ideal world, Tim would avg 35 min, KT 18, Fab 18, and Bonner 19. But with all the small ball, Fab is screwed. And if Pops does carve out an athletic spark plug niche, Fab better start shopping around for moe suits, since that's all he'll be wearing.

wildbill2u
02-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Mahinmi and Pops are similar but not overly so. Mahinmi has a taller and wider frame, although his legs are skinnier. Pops, on the other hand, may even be undersized to play PF in the NBA. Mahinmi is big enough to play center.

Pops is more of a hustle/athlete big. Mahinmi has turned out to be more of a skill big. They may be similar athletes but Pops is better at using his athleticism, whereas Mahinmi is still a bit clumsy.

Mahinmi has the better long term potential because he has actual skills but Pops could help out in terms of adding a lively body to the front line. In that sense, Pops is like a more athletic version of Tolliver minus the potential three-point stroke.

I guess its hard to find an all-around player without some flaws unless you are at the top of the draft.

I worry that our reliance and hope for Ian's potential may never pay off because of the basic fragility of his body. Man those legs of his look skinny.