PDA

View Full Version : Trade Idea: Dont trade anybody

Rover82
01-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Why do it? There are no guarantees, nobody there to propel us to the top, not many trade assets without hurting us against the cap next season, etc.

Besides, why risk putting yourself in the same situation that Dallas and Phoenix have over the past year.

We might have a championship team we might not...who knows Kobe could get hurt and be out for the season at anytime...you just never know. Too risky IMO

samikeyp
01-29-2009, 09:21 AM
You mean, you don't have to make a trade to win a title? :wow :wow

:lol

mrspurs
01-29-2009, 09:26 AM
I thought our chances last season were great. Until someone decided bringing in Mighty Mouse and Kurt Thomas would make us better.

Rover82
01-29-2009, 09:31 AM
with all due respect, we have a much better team than last year. Hill, Mason, and on many nights, Bonner are all upgrades from Barry, Oberto, and Vaughn...all day.

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2009, 09:31 AM
wtf is this bs......

STX_21
01-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Are you guys saying you giving up on the year? Cause there is no way we win with the current roster. We have gotten better from last year no dobut, but LA put us out without Bynum. Bynum changes things no matter how we try to twist it.

So unless your point is that you'd rather try next year than make a stupid move, you're delusional. We don't win the west without getting an athletic center.

lefty
01-29-2009, 11:57 AM
" We are not going to make a trade; the savior is in this room"

Or something like that

m33p0
01-29-2009, 12:11 PM
not that the spurs have the pieces to make a trade and still be a contender this year anyway.

ginobilized
01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
There's a certain zenlike quality to this approach....you're not Phil Jackson in disguise are you? I agree, the Spurs need to play better.....with the players they have. I believe they can play much better.

PDXSpursFan
01-29-2009, 12:24 PM
with all due respect, we have a much better team than last year. Hill, Mason, and on many nights, Bonner are all upgrades from Barry, Oberto, and Vaughn...all day.
I agree with that. But the problem is that the Lakers are also (by far) better than last year with the addition of Bynum and Ariza.

Galileo
01-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Why do it? There are no guarantees, nobody there to propel us to the top, not many trade assets without hurting us against the cap next season, etc.

Besides, why risk putting yourself in the same situation that Dallas and Phoenix have over the past year.

We might have a championship team we might not...who knows Kobe could get hurt and be out for the season at anytime...you just never know. Too risky IMO

best advice I've heard all week.

Fermixalot
01-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Finally a good trade idea. I think this roster is good enough when it plays at its best (which it hasn't).

Getting a long, athletic center would be ideal and greatly improve the chances of winning the championship but the chances are slim to none with Ian out now.

We have to deal with the reality of now and just make do with what we have, which is pretty damn good....

as long as they play defense! :lobt:

pawe
01-29-2009, 01:44 PM
This is what ive been saying since December. I think its much better for the Spurs to keep the current roster intact. They have playing with each other since training camp and for half a season now so they know the system and all the new guys have to do is to keep on committing to it.
The Spurs's O is 4 down or a kick out pass to the open shooter. 3 balls usually are long rebounds so that makes the size difference almost forgivable.
Here lies the problem. On D, They defend the perimeter good but they only have TD as the only shotblocker, KT as the strong man and the other irrelevant bigs. They'll have problems with getting the rebounds and defending the paint. They can always double on the paint and try to box out though since none of our bigs can jump.
Good thing Im not working for the FO.

mrspurs
01-29-2009, 02:03 PM
So what if we dont win the West this year. Its not like the world is gonna stop. I for one am very proud of the job Pop has done with this years squad. What are we gonna really do? Grab another has been or sign someone to another 10 day contract? Everyone keeps thinking, maybe we have a chance if Kobe or other players on other teams get hurt. But noone is asking themselves this. What if one of our players gets hurt?(again) It would be nice to have players on our roster who know the system. And we have those players right now. If any of our players gets hurt right now. We have players good or bad, who know the system. Know their teamates. Know Pops ways. You cant have it all..............all the time.

mexicanjunior
01-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Are you guys saying you giving up on the year? Cause there is no way we win with the current roster. We have gotten better from last year no dobut, but LA put us out without Bynum. Bynum changes things no matter how we try to twist it.

So unless your point is that you'd rather try next year than make a stupid move, you're delusional. We don't win the west without getting an athletic center.

Agreed...no upgrade pretty much hands the Western conference title to the Lakers at this point (barring miracle injuries).

Spursone
01-29-2009, 04:40 PM
:lobt2:We currently have a good strong core to build on, We are halfway there and are looking strong. Unless someone is dropped at our laps for cheap, I see us a contender with what we got. Remember some teams have gone trade crazy and have failed because they don't have cohesion or character, ie..........Mavericks and Suns. Let's see this thing pan out and worry about personnel changes next year when we got more cheddar.

:wakeup

Dr. Gonzo
01-29-2009, 04:42 PM

Plus we have a healthy, well they say he's healthy, Manu. That's all the kept us from another Finals birth.

Russ
01-29-2009, 04:44 PM
I agree, the "Don't Trade Anybody" strategy is a proven winner.

Last year the Lakers used it perfectly -- they didn't trade anybody (and got Pau Gasol in return). :)

Ghazi
01-29-2009, 04:49 PM
The Spurs probably should not stand pat. There's 44 games of evidence that points to the Magic/Celtics/Lakers/Cavs being clearly superior teams.

I'm not saying the Spurs can't beat them, but it's kinda wishful thinking to think that all players on a team will suddenly "get it" and click on all cylinders. Who is to say those teams can't take their game to another level as well?

galvatron3000

Because you always try to improve your team, just not at the cost of chemistry. You do however look to fill needs and patch up short comings.

Dallas' move was based on Kidd's All Star Legacy and not in the best interest of the team's need or the offense they were runnning. The Spurs NEED a Big to help Tim on the glass and on the Defensive end of the floor.

No one is not making a move or going to make a move based on this logic, this logic will get you FIRED, and rightfully so. I wouldn't want a FO that did business like that and the Spurs F/O doesn't.

Ghazi
Plus we have a healthy, well they say he's healthy, Manu. That's all the kept us from another Finals birth.

That and blowing a 20 point lead in game 1.:downspin:

jdev82
01-29-2009, 05:19 PM
good idea. that trade could work!

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 05:20 PM
I agree, the "Don't Trade Anybody" strategy is a proven winner.

Last year the Lakers used it perfectly -- they didn't trade anybody (and got Pau Gasol in return). :)

:lmao

Agloco
01-29-2009, 05:38 PM
The Spurs probably should not stand pat. There's 44 games of evidence that points to the Magic/Celtics/Lakers/Cavs being clearly superior teams.

I'm not saying the Spurs can't beat them, but it's kinda wishful thinking to think that all players on a team will suddenly "get it" and click on all cylinders. Who is to say those teams can't take their game to another level as well?

While I agree a trade is necessary, the gap isn't nearly a big as you might think.

Excluding the first seven games (Tony and Manu were out), the Spurs are 28-9. That's right there with the other elite teams. They also have yet to gel properly and Manu isn't firing on all cylinders yet.

The Rodeo Road Trip will get this team to where it needs to be.