PDA

View Full Version : super bowl trivia

stretch
01-29-2009, 09:47 AM
putting together a super bowl trivia game. i need super bowl history questions and answers. any ideas?

peewee's lovechild
01-29-2009, 09:55 AM
How many plastic knees does Mark Schlereth have?

Answer: 2.

samikeyp
01-29-2009, 11:04 AM
The only player with 5 rings:
Charles Haley

How many Super Bowls have there been?
The first two were called the "NFL-AFL Championship Game"

stretch
01-29-2009, 11:34 AM
The only player with 5 rings:
Charles Haley

How many Super Bowls have there been?
The first two were called the "NFL-AFL Championship Game"

good ones. especially the second.

Blake
01-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Q: How many super bowls has utsa won?

A: all of them

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 11:42 AM
How many safeties have been scored in Super Bowl games?

I think the answer is 5:

SB XI -- Steelers (Dwight White sacked Tarkenton)
SB X -- Steelers (Reggie Harrison blocked punt through end zone)
SB XX -- Bears (Henry Waechter sacked Steve Grogan)
SB XXI -- Giants (George Martin sacked John Elway)
SB XXV -- Bills (Bruce Smith sacked Jeff Hostetler)

Blake
01-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Who is the only player to win SB MVP while playing for the losing team?

Chuck Howley, Cowboys v Colts, SB V, 1971

Blake
01-29-2009, 11:54 AM
what four SB MVPS also won the Heisman in college?

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
what four SB MVPS also won the Heisman in college?

Roger Staubach (VI), Desmond Howard (XXXI), Jim Plunkett (XV), Marcus Allen (XVIII)

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 11:58 AM
In how many Super Bowls has the final play (the last recorded play, including kickoffs) included a score?

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Among the more obscure questions (and one that only the hard-core fan would get) is: Which player has appeared in the most Super Bowl games? (there's only 1 guy).

Blake
01-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Among the more obscure questions (and one that only the hard-core fan would get) is: Which player has appeared in the most Super Bowl games? (there's only 1 guy).

Robert Horry

peewee's lovechild
01-29-2009, 12:35 PM

:lmao:lmao

rolleyes
01-29-2009, 12:55 PM

:lmao:lmao

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 12:57 PM
How many coaches have led 2 different franchises to Super Bowls?

IronMexican
01-29-2009, 12:57 PM
In how many Super Bowls has the final play (the last recorded play, including kickoffs) included a score?

Vinatieri's is the only one that comes to mind.

IronMexican
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
FWD's Q's kicking my ass.

Blake
01-29-2009, 01:07 PM

I know Don Beebe was in 4 with the Bills and 2 with the Packers, but most of these type of answers usually are offensive or defensive lineman

it's probably some obscure dude.

CubanMustGo
01-29-2009, 01:08 PM
also Mike Lodish, DL (Buffalo - 4; Denver - 2).

thanks to Google

Blake
01-29-2009, 01:11 PM
How many coaches have led 2 different franchises to Super Bowls?

Holmgren, Reeves, Parcells, Vermeil.....who am I missing?

Blake
01-29-2009, 01:14 PM

thanks to Google

that's what google says? so is there someone with more than 6?

I know I'm right about Beebe.

clambake
01-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Holmgren, Reeves, Parcells, Vermeil.....who am I missing?

shula

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 01:29 PM

thanks to Google

The answer is Mike Lodish, and only Lodish (Super Bowls XXV (Bills), XXVI (Bills), XXVII (Bills), XXVIII (Bills), XXXII (Broncos), and XXXIII (Broncos)).

Beebe was on the Packers' roster for Super Bowl XXXII, but didn't play in the game. I'm also pretty sure that Beebe, while on the Bills roster for Super Bowl XXV, didn't play in that game either. And, for whatever it's worth, in double checking my answer, the NFL's Super Bowl history site doesn't list Beebe with 6 appearances or with 5. He's certainly among the many players with 4 appearances, though.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 01:31 PM
shula

Those are the 5:

Shula -- Baltimore (SB III), Miami (SB VI, VII, VIII, XVII, XIX)
Vermeil -- Philadelphia (SB XV), St. Louis (XXXIV)
Parcells -- New York Giants (SB XXI, XXV), New England (XXXI)
Holmgren -- Green Bay (SB XXXI, XXXII), Seattle (XL)
Reeves -- Denver (SB XXI, XXII, XXIV), Atlanta (XXXIII)

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 01:33 PM
The Super Bowl been held in consecutive years at the same stadium only one time. Which stadium was it, and which games were played there?

clambake
01-29-2009, 01:36 PM
The Super Bowl been held in consecutive years at the same stadium only one time. Which stadium was it, and which games were played there?

damn

J.T.
01-29-2009, 01:46 PM

Super Bowl II (GB def OAK)
Super Bowl III (NYJ def BAL)

Both at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

stretch
01-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I know I'm right about Beebe.

actually, you aren't.

LMAO tech education... lol jk

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 01:47 PM
How many times has a team that trailed at halftime come back to win the Super Bowl, and what is the largest halftime margin ever overcome.

(I'll give a curious sidenote that gives away part of the answer: the Giants have come back from halftime deficits in all of their Super Bowl wins).

clambake
01-29-2009, 01:49 PM
didn't the redskins come back to win?

i refuse to google for these answers. it'd be like cheating at golf.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 01:51 PM
True or false:

The Minnesota Vikings have never scored a first-half point in a Super Bowl game.

clambake
01-29-2009, 01:54 PM
true......total guess

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 01:59 PM
true......total guess

Yup -- Halftime scores of Minnesota's Super Bowl games

SB IV: KC 16, MIN 0
SB VIII: MIA 17, MIN 0
SB IX: PIT 2, MIN 0
SB XI: OAK 16, MIN 0

Pretty amazing.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Not a question, but some trivia.

In SB XXII, the Redskins scored 35 points in the 2nd quarter. There are only 4 Super Bowls in history in which the combined halftime score of the two teams exceeded the Redskins' 35 point quarter: SB XIX (SF 28, MIA 16); SB XXVII (DAL 28, BUF 10); SB XXIX (SF 28, SD 10); and SB XXXI (GB 27, NE 14).

clambake
01-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Yup -- Halftime scores of Minnesota's Super Bowl games

SB IV: KC 16, MIN 0
SB VIII: MIA 17, MIN 0
SB IX: PIT 2, MIN 0
SB XI: OAK 16, MIN 0

Pretty amazing.

that is amazing. i had no idea that the vikings had been to 4 SB's.

J.T.
01-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Easy one

How many times has the opening kickoff of the Super Bowl been returned for a touchdown?

stretch
01-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Devin Hester

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Easy one

How many times has the opening kickoff of the Super Bowl been returned for a touchdown?

Hester, and Hester only. So, once.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Playing off of JT's question here's another about kickoff returns: 8 different players (Fulton Walker, Stanford Jennings, Andre Coleman, Desmond Howard, Tim Dwight, Ron Dixon, Jermaine Lewis, Devin Hester) have returned kickoffs for touchdowns in Super Bowl history, but how many of their teams actually won the game?

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Which has happened more often in Super Bowl history: a player rushes for 200 yards or a player returns a punt for a touchdown?

clambake
01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
man, you're killing me.

samikeyp
01-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Which has happened more often in Super Bowl history: a player rushes for 200 yards or a player returns a punt for a touchdown?

I think only one guy has ran for over 200 and that was Timmy Smith who ran for 206, I think, when Washington beat Denver in the Doug Williams game.

That was also the only game where a QB caught a TD pass. Elway caught one to give the Broncs the lead, then Williams dickslapped them in the 2Q and the game was over.

Here is one...

The first game GB vs. KC, was the only game where two networks covered it. CBS and NBC. CBS had the NFL contract and NBC had the AFL contract.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 03:11 PM
That was also the only game where a QB caught a TD pass. Elway caught one to give the Broncs the lead, then Williams dickslapped them in the 2Q and the game was over.

That's partially right. Elway did catch a pass in that game (from Steve Sewell, IIRC), but the Broncos only touchdown that day (they lost 42-10) came on a pass from Elway to Ricky Nattiel -- at the time, it was the earliest score in Super Bowl history.

Elway's catch did lead to Denver's field goal, which gave the Broncos a 10-0 lead, which was obviously obliterated very quickly thereafter.

samikeyp
01-29-2009, 03:37 PM
That's partially right. Elway did catch a pass in that game (from Steve Sewell, IIRC), but the Broncos only touchdown that day (they lost 42-10) came on a pass from Elway to Ricky Nattiel -- at the time, it was the earliest score in Super Bowl history.

Elway's catch did lead to Denver's field goal, which gave the Broncos a 10-0 lead, which was obviously obliterated very quickly thereafter.

My bad, maybe it was only QB to catch any kind of pass?

samikeyp
01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I was right though about Timmy Smith, although it was 204 not 206.

Blake
01-29-2009, 03:48 PM
The answer is Mike Lodish, and only Lodish (Super Bowls XXV (Bills), XXVI (Bills), XXVII (Bills), XXVIII (Bills), XXXII (Broncos), and XXXIII (Broncos)).

Beebe was on the Packers' roster for Super Bowl XXXII, but didn't play in the game. I'm also pretty sure that Beebe, while on the Bills roster for Super Bowl XXV, didn't play in that game either. And, for whatever it's worth, in double checking my answer, the NFL's Super Bowl history site doesn't list Beebe with 6 appearances or with 5. He's certainly among the many players with 4 appearances, though.

Appeared in and played in are two different things.

Beebe made an appearance in uniform.

just sayin

Blake
01-29-2009, 03:56 PM
How many times has a team that trailed at halftime come back to win the Super Bowl, and what is the largest halftime margin ever overcome.

(I'll give a curious sidenote that gives away part of the answer: the Giants have come back from halftime deficits in all of their Super Bowl wins).

that's a tough one. Most of the games in the 80s and early 90s were blowouts.

is the Cowboys/Steelers Jackie Smith dropped pass one of those games?

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Appeared in and played in are two different things.

Beebe made an appearance in uniform.

just sayin

That's incorrect. You can go see the boxscores of Super Bowls XXV and XXXII -- I did that this afternoon. In neither is Beebe listed as having played in the game and in neither is Beebe listed as a player who "did not participate." That is proof that Beebe didn't suit up for those games -- that he wasn't active in either. I don't remember the specifics of either situation, but I seem to recall Beebe being hurt for Super Bowl XXXII with the Packers, which would explain why he didn't appear in that game. I think he was too far down the Bills' depth chart to appear in Super Bowl XXV. He was simply among the players who were "on the roster," but were inactive for that game.

Besides, a player who doesn't get on the field in a game doesn't "appear" in that game.

With that, Beebe was "only" in uniform for 4 Super Bowls and, thus, Lodish remains the only player to have been in uniform for 6 games and to have appeared in 6 games.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 04:16 PM
is the Cowboys/Steelers Jackie Smith dropped pass one of those games?

No. The Steelers won that game and were ahead 21-14 at the half, after Rocky Bleier outjumped D.D. Lewis for a pass late in the first half -- about 25 seconds before halftime. Steelers got two touchdowns from Stallworth, with a Tony Hill TD catch sandwiched between. Mike Hegman and Hollywood Henderson ripped the ball away from Bradshaw in the 2nd quarter to get the Cowboys other score.

Still one of my favorite Super Bowls -- incredible star power, a back-and-forth first half, a dominating spurt by the Steelers, a controversial PI call against the Cowboys, a furious Cowboys comeback, and, of course, the human drama of Jackie Smith.

Blake
01-29-2009, 04:24 PM
That's incorrect. You can go see the boxscores of Super Bowls XXV and XXXII -- I did that this afternoon. In neither is Beebe listed as having played in the game and in neither is Beebe listed as a player who "did not participate." That is proof that Beebe didn't suit up for those games -- that he wasn't active in either. I don't remember the specifics of either situation, but I seem to recall Beebe being hurt for Super Bowl XXXII with the Packers, which would explain why he didn't appear in that game. I think he was too far down the Bills' depth chart to appear in Super Bowl XXV. He was simply among the players who were "on the roster," but were inactive for that game.

Besides, a player who doesn't get on the field in a game doesn't "appear" in that game.

With that, Beebe was "only" in uniform for 4 Super Bowls and, thus, Lodish remains the only player to have been in uniform for 6 games and to have appeared in 6 games.

ok

CubanMustGo
01-29-2009, 04:34 PM
that is amazing. i had no idea that the vikings had been to 4 SB's.

Oh yeah, they sucked in SBs way before Buffalo made their reputation by dropping four straight. They usually went far in the playoffs because they played outdoors and in the winter the temps would just kill visitors ... but when they got to a game where they didn't have the built-in climate advantage, they didn't have a chance.

Either that or Bud Grant/Fran Tarkenton were the #1 big game chokers of all time. take your pick.

IronMexican
01-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Oh yeah, they sucked in SBs way before Buffalo made their reputation by dropping four straight. They usually went far in the playoffs because they played outdoors and in the winter the temps would just kill visitors ... but when they got to a game where they didn't have the built-in climate advantage, they didn't have a chance.

Either that or Bud Grant/Fran Tarkenton were the #1 big game chokers of all time. take your pick.

Yeah, I watched Missing Rings for one of those Viking teams. Sad stuff.

IronMexican
01-29-2009, 04:47 PM
And I am pretty sure largest comeback was 10, Skins over Denver.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I watched Missing Rings for one of those Viking teams. Sad stuff.

That was bad, but it had to have been even worse for the LA Rams of that era, who lost NFC championship games to Vikings and Cowboys teams that went on to lose Super Bowls in 74, 75, 76, and 78.

At least the Vikings (and, to a different extent, the Cowboys) got to play in Super Bowls; the Rams didn't even make it that far.

Blake
01-29-2009, 05:11 PM
That was bad, but it had to have been even worse for the LA Rams of that era, who lost NFC championship games to Vikings and Cowboys teams that went on to lose Super Bowls in 74, 75, 76, and 78.

At least the Vikings (and, to a different extent, the Cowboys) got to play in Super Bowls; the Rams didn't even make it that far.

Vince Ferragamo > Jim Everett

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 05:53 PM

or Pat Haden . . . . or James Harris . . . . or Ron Jaworski (at least with the Rams).

samikeyp
01-29-2009, 05:54 PM
or Pat Haden . . . . or James Harris . . . . or Ron Jaworski (at least with the Rams).

Dieter Brock! :lol

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 06:08 PM

Nice one. About as overmatched in any single playoff game (the '85 NFC Championship Game) as any QB in history, I think.

Blake
01-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Nice one. About as overmatched in any single playoff game (the '85 NFC Championship Game) as any QB in history, I think.

in recent playoff memory, Tavaris Jackson and Quincy Carter both come to mind.....

DBryant88
01-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Whos the only two players(exept mabeye Kurt Warner) to win a superbowl with two diffrent teams?

Hint: they played together in '94 and won helped the 49ers win the SB

stretch
01-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Whos the only two players(exept mabeye Kurt Warner) to win a superbowl with two diffrent teams?

Hint: they played together in '94 and won helped the 49ers win the SB

Bill Rowmanowski and Charles Haley.

DBryant88
01-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Bill Rowmanowski and Charles Haley.

no they have also played with the cowboys but at diffrent times

stretch
01-30-2009, 10:30 AM
no they have also played with the cowboys but at diffrent times

you need to specify your questions better. you said the only two players to win superbowls with two different teams, and both Haley and Romo did it.

DBryant88
01-30-2009, 10:41 AM
my bad

back to back superbowls with 2 diffrent teams

Blake
01-30-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure what the question is. I'm not sure mb knows what the question is.

Is it Deion? Ken Norton?

samikeyp
01-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure what the question is. I'm not sure mb knows what the question is.

Is it Deion? Ken Norton?

Yes.

CubanMustGo
01-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Not Super Bowl Trivia, but fun nonetheless: name the two NFL teams without a playoff win in the last decade.

samikeyp
01-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Buffalo (95), Cleveland (89), Cincy (90), Dallas (96), Detroit (91), Houston (still waiting) and KC (97).

Blake
01-30-2009, 12:41 PM
San Fran has won a playoff game?

Trainwreck2100
01-30-2009, 12:47 PM
What is the super bowl named after?

samikeyp
01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
What is the super bowl named after?

Lamar Hunt's daughters toy called a "Super Ball"

samikeyp
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
San Fran has won a playoff game?

Yes,

2002 over the Giants 39-38. It think that was the one where the Giants bobbled a snap or something crazy.

FromWayDowntown
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Two players have played on the losing team in 5 different Super Bowls. One is Glenn Parker, who lost 4 times with the Bills and once with the Giants (SB XXXV). Who is the other? (hint: he's a well-known player).

Condemned 2 HelLA
01-30-2009, 12:59 PM

:flipoff

God damn all of you.
:depressed

FromWayDowntown
01-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Just to wrap a few of these up:

Playing off of JT's question here's another about kickoff returns: 8 different players (Fulton Walker, Stanford Jennings, Andre Coleman, Desmond Howard, Tim Dwight, Ron Dixon, Jermaine Lewis, Devin Hester) have returned kickoffs for touchdowns in Super Bowl history, but how many of their teams actually won the game?

2 of those teams won -- Howard, who was MVP for the Packers in SB XXXI and Lewis, whose team beat Dixon's Giants in SB XXXV. Most of the time, a kickoff return for a score is a bad thing.

As mikey said, Timmy Smith rushed for 204 yards in SB XXII and is the only player in history to have run for more than 200 yards in a Super Bowl. No player has ever returned a punt for a touchdown in a Super Bowl game.

There have been 8 rallies from halftime deficits in SB history: NYG d. NE (XLII), DAL d. BUF (XXVIII), NYG d. BUF (XXV), NYG d. DEN (XXI), WAS d. MIA (XVII), PIT d. LA (XIV), PIT d. DAL (X), BAL d. DAL (V).

The largest halftime deficit overcome is 7 points, accomplished by the Cowboys in SB XXVIII (trailed 13-6), the Redskins in SB XVII (trailed 17-10), and the Colts in SB V (trailed 13-6).

In the other games -- all involving the Giants and Steelers, the Giants trailed the Pats by 4 (NE 7, NYG 3) in SB XLII; they trailed the Bills by 2 in SB XXV (BUF 12, NYG 10); they trailed the Broncos by 1 in SB XXI (DEN 10, NYG 9). The Steelers trailed the Rams 13-10 at the half in SB XIV and they trailed the Cowboys 10-7 at the half in SB X.

samikeyp
01-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Two players have played on the losing team in 5 different Super Bowls. One is Glenn Parker, who lost 4 times with the Bills and once with the Giants (SB XXXV). Who is the other? (hint: he's a well-known player).

Don't know that he is that well-known but QB Gale Gilbert was on the losing team 5 years in a row, 4 with the Bills then 1 with the Chargers.

FromWayDowntown
01-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Don't know that he is that well-known but QB Gale Gilbert was on the losing team 5 years in a row, 4 with the Bills then 1 with the Chargers.

That's true. My bad on the question; I was thinking of Cornelius Bennett.

FromWayDowntown
01-30-2009, 01:25 PM
How many Super Bowl rematches have there been -- that is, how many times have two teams met each other in more than one Super Bowl, whether consecutive or not?

Condemned 2 HelLA
01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
How many Super Bowl rematches have there been -- that is, how many times have two teams met each other in more than one Super Bowl, whether consecutive or not?

I'm going with 3:

Cowboys v Steelers in SBs X & XIII,(& XXX)
49ers v Bengals in SBs XVI & XXIII,
Cowboys v Bills in SBs XXVII & XXVIII.

(edited for accuracy)

Blake
01-30-2009, 01:44 PM

hmm.....obviously Dallas/Pitt have met 3 times, Dallas/Bills twice.........49ers/bengals twice......

that's all I can think of

Condemned 2 HelLA
01-30-2009, 01:46 PM
hmm.....obviously Dallas/Pitt have met 3 times

I forgot about that 3rd meeting.

Condemned 2 HelLA
01-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Miami v Washington in SBs VII & XVII.

FromWayDowntown
01-30-2009, 03:08 PM
4 is right: DAL/PIT; DAL/BUF; SF/CIN (still weird to me); and MIA/WAS

New one: How many times has the Super Bowl involved 2 franchises that were each making their first-ever Super Bowl appearances in the same game?

samikeyp
01-30-2009, 03:20 PM
I count 4.

1-G.B vs. KC
3-Jets v. Colts
16-SF v. Cincy
20-Chi. v. N.E.

FromWayDowntown
01-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I count 4.

1-G.B vs. KC
3-Jets v. Colts
16-SF v. Cincy
20-Chi. v. N.E.

That's it.

samikeyp
01-30-2009, 05:43 PM
:toast

Blake
01-30-2009, 06:03 PM
How many times has the Super Bowl coin flip landed on 'heads'?

jack sommerset
01-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Name the only player that went to 5 straight Super Bowls.

samikeyp
01-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Name the only player that went to 5 straight Super Bowls.

Don't know that he is that well-known but QB Gale Gilbert was on the losing team 5 years in a row, 4 with the Bills then 1 with the Chargers